Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would Ireland function better as a federal democracy

• 19-08-2013 8:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭

It is a common criticism that parish pump politics rules Ireland.

Perhaps Ireland should devolve power to the counties in a similar way that power is devolved to each US State or Swiss Canton. Each county would have the power to raise local income tax and spend it as they wish. A local senate would have control of these funds and functions.

A representative or three (depending on population size) could then be allocated to a house of representatives to set national policy.

The advantage would be locally accountable politics and expenditure, having to live with poorplanning/fiscal decisions, less of the rural vs urban bitterness, and (hopefully) more participation in local politics.

Would Ireland function better as a federal democracy? 27 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    40% 11 votes
    Atari Something Something
    59% 16 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

No. Ireland is smaller than most US states. No need

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Federal me hole

Umm. Thanks?

MadsL wrote: »
    Umm. Thanks?

ok. changed

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭fibonaccii

Would not work, I would imagine countys like Leitrim would be up to its neck in debt

I don't think we'd have the population density for it. Counties with large towns or cities would be fine but the rest may not be able to raise enough revenue.

• Advertisement

fibonaccii wrote: »
    Would not work, I would imagine countys like Leitrim would be up to its neck in debt

It could merge...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

It is a common criticism that parish pump politics rules Ireland.

Perhaps Ireland should devolve power to the counties in a similar way that power is devolved to each US State or Swiss Canton. Each county would have the power to raise local income tax and spend it as they wish. A local senate would have control of these funds and functions.

A representative or three (depending on population size) could then be allocated to a house of representatives to set national policy.

The advantage would be locally accountable politics and expenditure, having to live with poorplanning/fiscal decisions, less of the rural vs urban bitterness, and (hopefully) more participation in local politics.

I would think the counties are too small but maybe devolve power to the provinces - Munster, Leinster plus Connacht/Ulster with small directly elected assemblies.

We are insanely centralised which I think feeds the parish pump politics are people feel there is no point going to local Councillors etc as they really have no say in most things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

I genuinely think there would be a complete cluster**** during the change over, and the country would melt.

Not meltdown, but actually melt.

The banner federal state doesn't have quite the same ring to it

I genuinely think there would be a complete cluster**** during the change over, and the country would melt.

Not meltdown, but actually melt.

What would be affected do you think? Surely a staggered handover year to year over 10 years could be managed.

• Advertisement

I'd enjoy the newly issued licence plates...

Cork
    The Rebel County

Galway
    The Wild West

Leitrim
    Errm...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭Nolimits

And be known in football ad the "federal democracy of Ireland"?

No thanks

Nolimits wrote: »
    And be known in football ad the "federal democracy of Ireland"?

No thanks

Or, y'know, just still the Republic of Ireland. Whatever ya like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

What would be affected do you think? Surely a staggered handover year to year over 10 years could be managed.

The flurry to purchase brown envelopes would increase the temperature of the soil, and it was turn to liquid, somehow. I mean the country would literally melt. Like ice. How exactly, well I'm not a scientician.
    I'd enjoy the newly issued licence plates...

Cork
    The Rebel County

Galway
    The Wild West

Leitrim
    Errm.. At Least It's Not Roscommon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

The social values of people in Dublin are nearly totally different to that of the west of Ireland. If Dubliners could vote and decide their own laws, Dublin would probably have more Liberal Divorce laws,same sex marriage, abortions and medical marijuana. Something I dont think certain parts of Ireland would be too keen on.

But then again big cities like Dublin, Cork and Galway practically fund the running of the Government. There is very few high income earners outside of the major cities. Most small countries couldnt afford to run themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,070 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Each county would have the power to raise local income tax and spend it as they wish. A local senate would have control of these funds and functions.

All sounds well and good when written down but it'd be a disaster in practice. Unless you come up with a way of keeping the usual self serving muppets out of power.

Imagine what the likes of the Healy-Raes would do if given free reign? Fcuking carnage

hfallada wrote: »
    The social values of people in Dublin are nearly totally different to that of the west of Ireland. If Dubliners could vote and decide their own laws, Dublin would probably have more Liberal Divorce laws,same sex marriage, abortions and medical marijuana. Something I dont think certain parts of Ireland would be too keen on.

How would affect them if such activies were only legal in Dublin?
    But then again big cities like Dublin, Cork and Galway practically fund the running of the Government. There is very few high income earners outside of the major cities. Most small countries couldnt afford to run themselves.

Then there might continue to be a subsidy for a while, however if counties could compete for jobs in terms of corporate tax rates or employee levies then perhaps Ireland would get less centralised. Decentralisation was a massive failure, but push/pull factors might work instead.

All sounds well and good when written down but it'd be a disaster in practice. Unless you come up with a way of keeping the usual self serving muppets out of power.

Imagine what the likes of the Healy-Raes would do if given free reign? Fcuking carnage

And ultimately held to account locally on local performance. Instead of the carnage and then the "look what I did for the county by holding the Govt to ransom"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

A scary thought when you consider the majority of local councillors are either a) too thick or b) too corrupt to be considered for election to Dáil Éireann (quite an achievement!).

Imagine giving them more power.:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,710 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Worth it for the comedy value. I'm warming to the idea, but then I don;t live theer any more...

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    A scary thought when you consider the majority of local councillors are either a) too thick or b) too corrupt to be considered for election to Dáil Éireann (quite an achievement!).

Imagine giving them more power.:eek:

With great power comes great responsibility. :D

I'd suggest that part of the reason that local councillors are ineffectual is the lack of actual power and responsibility. More power = greater visibility on what they actually do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

How about the banana banner republic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Clandestine

I'd prefer the country to be a kind of minimalist or Libertarian state, but i doubt we'd see that happen.

I'd prefer the country to be a kind of minimalist or Libertarian state, but i doubt we'd see that happen.

What Libertarian values would you apply to Ireland? To what effect?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭thecatspjs

Advertisement