If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AV Receiver & Sub

Options
  • 19-08-2013 8:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭

Hey there,

So i have a LG DH6420p 850W DVD Player & H/T (passive 145W sub & the 5 speakers o/p @141W and each speaker having 3 ohm impedance), with a Samsung BD-F6500 Smart Bluray Player attached through optical. 

I'm looking to upgrade my system to use a proper AV Receiver w/ an active Sub.
    My current inputs are as follows

Current: -
    3D Bluray (HDMI/Optical)
    Xbox 360 (Component/Optical)
    UPC Box (Coaxial)
    Smartphone Dock (3.5mm to Red/White)

Plus I will be adding / upgrading the following in the coming months: -

Xbox One (HDMI)
    UPC Horizon or Freesat Box (HDMI)
    Turntable (Red/White presumably)
    I will also be upgrading the Speakers in future but for now they will do the job.

I'm looking at a budget of around €500 for the AV Receiver and Sub. Two of the AV Receivers that seem suitable are the Denon x1000 and the Yamaha RX-v673, so my question is can these AVRs drive the 3 ohm speakers i have, do they have HDMI-CEC so i can control them with TV remote, are they capable of 3D Passthrough and what is the best active Sub for the job.
    Also if you can give a good deal on a quality turntable, i might be able to persuade herself to give me my birthday present early!

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 17,279 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

stevoslice wrote: »
    Hey there,

So i have a LG DH6420p 850W DVD Player & H/T (passive 145W sub & the 5 speakers o/p @141W and each speaker having 3 ohm impedance), with a Samsung BD-F6500 Smart Bluray Player attached through optical. 

I'm looking to upgrade my system to use a proper AV Receiver w/ an active Sub.
    My current inputs are as follows

Current: -
    3D Bluray (HDMI/Optical)
    Xbox 360 (Component/Optical)
    UPC Box (Coaxial)
    Smartphone Dock (3.5mm to Red/White)

Plus I will be adding / upgrading the following in the coming months: -

Xbox One (HDMI)
    UPC Horizon or Freesat Box (HDMI)
    Turntable (Red/White presumably)
    I will also be upgrading the Speakers in future but for now they will do the job.

I'm looking at a budget of around €500 for the AV Receiver and Sub. Two of the AV Receivers that seem suitable are the Denon x1000 and the Yamaha RX-v673, so my question is can these AVRs drive the 3 ohm speakers i have, do they have HDMI-CEC so i can control them with TV remote, are they capable of 3D Passthrough and what is the best active Sub for the job.
    Also if you can give a good deal on a quality turntable, i might be able to persuade herself to give me my birthday present early!
    Hi Stevo,

Thanks for getting in touch, and apologies about the delay in getting back to you.

Both amps would work with the speakers you have, but I'd defiantly consider a speaker upgrade as you'll not be getting the best out of the amps as they're a lot more powerful.  And if driven hard may overheat the amp which could cause issues down the line too.  It should be enough to get you up and running though.  

Between the Yamaha and Denon I'd pick the Denon any day.  Newer 2013 model and it sounds fantastic!  As you said you'd like to connect a turntable that's another pro for the Denon.  Both great for stereo playback but Denon have and still are one of the better AV amps for music playback, as well as home cinema.  Just one thing to consider, not many AV amps have a phono stage built in so you'll need a turntable with a built in phono stage, or a separate phonostage to get the turntable working.

Both amps have 3D passthrough and feature HDMI CEC.  The Denon also have a very nice remote app which is very handy if you have a smartphone, Ipad etc.  

For a good sub I'd recommend the Monitor Audio MSW10 currently priced at £179.95.  This is a serious sub for the money.  Can find more details at the link below:

http://www.monitoraudiousa.com/support/past-products/m-series/msw-10/

The total for the two combined would be £529.90 / €646.21.  Slightly over budget but well worth the extra :) And as your Birthday must be near I can include free postage on both.

Let me know what you think.

Chris

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.