Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elective C-section after first difficult birth

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

I had an elective section and my recovery was great. Kept on top of my pain medication, was able to breast feed and to play with my nearly 3 year old.

I had the same experience with an elective section. Just manage your painkillers properly and you'll be fine (obviously if you take it easy!)

It had no negative impact on breastfeeding either, just make sure the nurses are aware of your wishes so the baby is not given a bottle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

Glowing wrote: »
    I had the same experience with an elective section. Just manage your painkillers properly and you'll be fine (obviously if you take it easy!)

It had no negative impact on breastfeeding either, just make sure the nurses are aware of your wishes so the baby is not given a bottle.

I know you are trying to be helpful here and I know that most women recover very well and quickly from a c section, but I did stay on top of my medication and I did take it easy but I did not recover well.

I was in a lot of pain for a long time. Not imaginary pain, I had a long labour with my 1st, no pain relief and a 3rd degree tear- I know what pain is!

It used to upset me a lot when people presumed I was being melodramatic or exaggerating when I was in such pain months after my section (not that I told many people), and I always felt embarased by it that I didn't recover as quickly as everyone else, like I was doing something wrong.

My go said it was quite common and the internal scarring can take up to a year to heal.

Anyway, sorry for rant. I am glad that you have made a decision that you are happy with, and hope it all goes well for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

My first section was very difficult to recover from - emergency.

Elective for me was a lot different

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Xidu

Had 2 c section. The first time was horrible, the amount of pain I had the second day when I have to get off bed to wee...( you must wee after 24 hrs I remember), I swore to God I will NOT have another baby. My husband n my mom had to lift me up to toilet.

But my second section was much better, I guess it's becoz they gave me a lot of pain killer.

I was left w a long scar though...

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Chara1001

Hi OP,

I have one child but that was an emergency section, and it was fine, absolutely fine. The baby was out in 10 mins and i didn't take much notice of the sensation as i was chatting to one of the nurses. The sewing up took longer but they kept bringing the baby over to me so i could kiss him. It was over so quickly.
    I spent a while in recovery which felt like forever and on the ward the first night, the nurses looked after the baby but i had him after that. Bit sore the next day, but could walk around ok and shower etc.
    By the time i went home, i was walking around fine, never had any more pain- just itching and the wound started to get a bit red so i headed back to the hospital for some antibiotics.
    I never felt like it was more difficult because of the CS, it never hindered anything.
    If you do have to have an emergency CS, don't worry you'll be fine, and best of luck:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭littlemissfixit

Everyone will have their own different story about their own labour, and although I agree its good to be informed, my own suggestion would be that as your due date closes in, now that you've done a bit of research, that you no longer look at any stories (often horrific ones too) and that if you've made your decision one way or the other you concentrate just to prepare your mind and body to the event approaching.
    I strongly suggest meditation and even self-hypnosis. Your body is able to give birth, your mind on the other hand has to be trained the right way. Fear is your worst enemy.

I had my own issues, after the birth for me, guilt that my baby wasn't thriving, I think must be similar to guilt at not giving birth naturally, felt I was failing at the most important job of my life... Psychologically, the second and subsequent births I think are completely different and I think no matter what happens, you are just able to enjoy every moment with your baby, hormone turmoil is not as bad, you have done it all before... So keeping that in mind, I think you can straight away not worry about the mental scars this time around and, as cliché as it sounds, go into it with a total open mind and know that whatever birth you have the result will be a beautiful baby.

I wish you all the best!

• Registered Users Posts: 38 mimihand

I am so glad to see this post!

I am 28 weeks pregnant and have started to think about how the baby has to come out!
    My situation is a bit different to what I read here. I have had hip surgery just over a year ago to repair torn cartilage in hip joint (labral tear) and have excess bone shaved/removed off the top of my femur (FAI). Although the recovery was long, longer that a total hip replacement, about 7 months, it was successful More or less pain free but it can 'catch at times). I also have a tear in my other hip, at the time of diagnosis (Aug '13) it was not bad enough for surgery (over extension is not good for my hip conditions).
    I was told to get on with my life as normal, which I did. We tried for our first baby (which happened faster than we thought it would!!) so am due baby in late Dec.

I am 34 and my gyne has suggested a C-section considering my history.
    My ortho says I 'should be ok', although he hasn't seen me since Jan'13 - will almost be 12 months by the time of delivery. He also said to see what the gyne says.

I am so glad to read peoples mental/emotional experiences as I think that's where I am having the most issues. I know lots of people who had sections (they were emergency sections and then repeat sections, no previous condition leading to the decision of a C-section) and said, yes its tough but you will recover so I don't think its the operation end of things that are troubling me (although I am not looking forward to it) as much as the mental side of things.

I feel that I should be able to delivery naturally and feel like I have stumbled at the first hurdle already! Otherwise I am fit, trim (to maintain hips as long as I can) and healthy, I have be doing pregnancy fitness from week 9 to keep hips in good condition. I feel I have been doing everything right but still I am restricted to the option of a c-section.

My hubby definitely doesn't understand why I am annoyed/upset at the prospect of a section, and to be honest I cant blame him as I am not 100% clear on why I am upset either. I haven't really mentioned how I feel to anyone else as I think people will think I am being silly. Logically, I think for me this is the safest option, but mentally/emotional it doesn't sit right with me, and I'm thinking if I feel like this now what will I be like afterwards with all the hormones!

Then I talk to others who have children and say that giving birth is only the start of it, whether baby comes out by section or natural, and that you need to be mobile, fit and well to look after you baby for when he/she needs you in the coming years - something I may not be if the delivery damage my hips further. If I damage hips there only option for me is surgery and/or pain killers - something I probably wont have time for with a new baby, esp considering the post op recovery time frame.

Anyway, Im sorry for the rant, but I am so glad to see that its not just me who is upset/annoyed/having trouble mentally with the idea of an elective section.

Thanks for listening (or reading in this case!)

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

I lost my first baby when a 'natural' birth went wrong. I opted for a c-section the second time around and I am glad that I did.

The most uncomfortable part was getting the spinal block in - the first two attempts, the doc hit the wrong part and my legs were hopping like a puppet. After that, they got it spot on and I felt no pain or any discomfort throughout the section. It didn't feel 'gross' at all.

Although it wasn't an emergency section, they had me open and the baby out in about 3 minutes flat. We were amazed at the speed.

We had the option of a 'skin to skin' c-section, where they lower the screen at the end so we could see our baby coming out, and then he was put up on my chest, like a normal delivery process. I don't know if this is an option in the Irish hospital, but if it is, you should go for it (we didn't see any blood or open wound anything, they had that well covered We just saw our lovely little boy being brought into the world).

The first 3 days or so were the most difficult pain-wise -- getting in and out of the hospital bed was a major task -- my hubby was also staying in the room (that's allowed here) so that was great help but the nurses are very good aswell and I am sure it would be no different in the irish hopsitals - just push a button and they're there.

The pain eased a lot after the initial first few days - I was able to do most things within a few weeks of the operation.

Hope this helps

EDIT - just wanted to add that you should never feel a 'failure' if you go for a c-section -- there's no medals for going 'au natural'

• Registered Users Posts: 38 mimihand

Hi Cunning Stunt,

Very sorry to hear about what happened to you and the loss you have suffered.

I have had a couple of very helpful replies, including your own, that have made me realise that a C-section is by no means that end of the world! I think it has just taken me a wee while to come to come round to the idea as I always assumed id have a straight forward natural birth.

In the hospital I will be in, there is no room for hubby to stay but I believe that the nurses are very good and helpful. I am unsure that I can get skin to skin contact straightway, I asked a nurse at a clinic apt and she said no, but I haven't meet my consultant yet (am going public) but when I do I will request this and hopefully they might consider it. I would like if I could though.

Thanks again for your reply and sharing your advice and experience.
    Mimi

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Mimi, I got skin to skin very quickly after my emcs. He came out, handed to dad who left the room while I was stitched. It seemed very quick to me that they were back in and the nurse tucked the baby inside my nightie and latched him on the breast for me, (id stated i wanted to try to breastfeed on my admittance notes) and we stayed like that, alternating sides and snoozing together for about 10 hrs until midnight when they told my partner he had to go.

I was still under the epidural so wouldn't have been able to go to the bassinet so the baby was safe in the bed with me since I couldn't move and because of that I actually got more snuggle time with him beside me than other mothers might have as they weren't allowed to cosleep. The nurses did take him for stints during the night so I could sleep but mostly I remember us snuggling for hours and hours that night, and feeling so so contented. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

Hi, i had a very horrible first birth experience ending in an emergency CS. infection and months of mental and physical recovery. breastfeeding was not affected thankfully.
    When pregnant with my second we were determined not to go through the same thing and after research used the gentle birth programe of self hypnosis. i started late (34wks) when it became obvious that i was going to have a natural birth. it make me relax and get some sleep. on the night I was in control and able to focus and use the training from the programme though not fully. we had a quick labor and no tearing.
    On the baby no 3 and i committed to the programme from about week 26 and that birth was a dream, completely in control 3.5 hr labor, the only part of the pregnancy I would do again in fact, apart from conception obviously. ink ab
    I think it would benefit anyone and it only costs about 70e for the discs. The developer is very approachable and has lots of resources to help with all sorts of issues. search for gentle birth ireland or tracy donegan if you are interested.

Advertisement