Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Games For Windows Live shutting down....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭Nollog

You linked age of empires, and looking around their website there's no words about gfwl being shut down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Assuming the games I have that are already saddled with GFWL will be able to function without it (patches, maybe? I hope so), this is the best freaking news I've ever heard from Microsoft. Vile little system, constantly getting in the way of my actually trying to play a game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Sarky wrote: »
    Assuming the games I have that are already saddled with GFWL will be able to function without it (patches, maybe? I hope so), this is the best freaking news I've ever heard from Microsoft. Vile little system, constantly getting in the way of my actually trying to play a game.

Relic better fix DoW2

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

I imagine it will be easy to patch the games to get single player working, but I can imagine many older games with few players losing multiplayer support.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,559 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

All you PC gamers are just whiners giving out about GFWL and all the steps you have to go through to get it working.

That's what I thought until about two months about and I spent 4 hours trying to get Bioshock 2 working and set up an account.

RIP, rest in piss GFWL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

Now to live in fear of what awful POS MS are going to replace it with since they've been on such a roll the last year :pac::(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

NTMK wrote: »
    Now to live in fear of what awful POS MS are going to replace it with since they've been on such a roll the last year :pac::(

This may be interesting or may not be.
    http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/08/16/contradictory-headlines-pt-2-msoft-hires-ex-steam-boss/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

This is why I try to avoid any service from windows, they foist them out upon the world through their sheer size and when it dies on its arse a few years later they take it back and shoot it in the head, screwing over the poor bastards who never wanted it but got saddled with it any way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭Nollog

NTMK wrote: »
    GTR63 wrote: »

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/windows/games?xr=shellnav
    Xbox for Windows or something like that I'm sure.
    (ie, the exact same as gfwl with an xbox skin)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,085 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    All you PC gamers are just whiners giving out about GFWL and all the steps you have to go through to get it working.

That's what I thought until about two months about and I spent 4 hours trying to get Bioshock 2 working and set up an account.

RIP, rest in piss GFWL.

I had similar problems with Arkham City. Spent a few hours playing it one evening and GFWL wasn't working so it didn't save any of my progress. Then spent hours messing about with it trying to get it working (someone on here helped me sort it, thank feck).

Glad to be rid of it and hopefully all the games get patched.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Azza wrote: »
    I imagine it will be easy to patch the games to get single player working, but I can imagine many older games with few players losing multiplayer support.
    If MS replace it with a more integrated LIVE system then I can see API support being similar enough that it could be patched in with relative ease but given the fact that this isn't coming till next year I fear it's going to be the latter case in most instances. :(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Only something operational can be shutdown.

GFWL is being euthanized.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I must be the only one who never had a problem with GFWL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

/\/ollog wrote: »
    http://www.xbox.com/en-US/windows/games?xr=shellnav
    Xbox for Windows or something like that I'm sure.
    (ie, the exact same as gfwl with an xbox skin)

Yes it's already there in windows 8 albeit minus the big games, all it has are little casual physics based puzzlers etc. So they will likely adapt that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

I liked how it put all my games in a library for achievements with my xbox games. Other than that it was terrible. Constantly wanting you to login and disconnecting randomly.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭_Puma_

Having never had a gamertag I had to set up an account on GFWL for Batman and Dark Souls recently. It was not an endearing experience. After about 3 hours of trying to to get it to create an account for me it eventually allowed me to sign in to the games through the game client. To this day I still do not know how I got it to work. Then came the fun of constant disconnects from GFWL, which I can tell you is not a nice experience in Dark souls.

Good riddance but what does this mean for multi-player games like Dark souls now.

*Edit Apparently DS is being patched thorough steam works to remove GFWL for the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,203 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

I think Red Faction Gorilla is the only game I've played with it. It annoyed me slightly as I was quicker to press the load button than it was to automatically login, but it didn't do anything nasty on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,866 ✭✭✭Polar101

The biggest problem with GFWL (aside from the fact that it's a dreadful piece of software) is that it's not really used in many games, so you don't run it very often. That means every time you start a game using GFWL, it gives you the "updates needed" prompt and it takes a long time to install them. So you need to start the game at least twice before you actually get to play it.

I'm not even exaggerating (much). Maybe it was Microsoft's plan all along, to make GFWL's usage statistics show double.

The worst thing is that it's a long way to go till July 2014.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

The main problem was with the client itself, not the actual backend. The additional sign in steps, patching headaches and frequent restarts required for a bunch of games (Bulletstorm and Bioshock 2 in my case) alone made the overall experience seem positively amateurish compared to more streamlined systems like Steam.

Once you got past the initial pain then I guess it worked okay but there were still the save and profile issues encountered by people with the likes of GTAIV and Batman which led to further bad press.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

A summary of games that will no longer be supported or sold.
    Games for Windows Live to close July 1, 2014

http://community.pcgamingwiki.com/page/articles.html/_/news/games-for-windows-live-to-close-july-1-2014-r56

Games that will no longer be available for digital purchase in 3 days:

AFL Live
    Battle vs. Chess - Not purchasable on Steam, Publisher is essentially defunct
    CarneyVale: Showtime - Independent title
    Crash Time 4: The Syndicate - Other series installments are on Steam
    Game Room - Many constituent titles are available sans-GFWL
    Gears of War for Windows
    Halo 2 for Windows Vista
    Hour of Victory
    Quantum of Solace - Game no longer for sale on Steam
    Shadowrun - Servers are no longer running for this, right?
    Juiced 2: Hot Import Nights
    Legend of the Galactic Heroes
    Mahjong Wisdom -- MS has a free Mahjong game on W8, "replacement"?
    Rugby League Live
    Tinker - Free, download right now if you ever want to play
    Tron: Evolution
    Vancouver 2010
    Viva Piñata for Windows
    Where’s Waldo? The Fantastic Journey

Games whose online facilities and achievements will die July 1, 2014--some of these
    may no longer be able to be activated at this point and thus will be DEAD DEAD

Ace Combat: Assault Horizon – Enhanced Edition
    Age of Empires Online
    Blacklight: Tango Down
    Bulletstorm
    Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition
    Dead Rising 2
    Dead Rising 2: Off the Record
    DiRT 2
    Dirt 3
    F1 2010
    F1 2011
    Fable III
    Fallout 3
    FlatOut: Ultimate Carnage
    FUEL
    Grand Theft Auto IV
    Grand Theft Auto: Episodes from Liberty City
    Iron Brigade
    Kane & Lynch: Dead Men
    Lost Planet 2
    Microsoft Flight
    Mortal Kombat Arcade Kollection
    Ms. Splosion Man
    Operation Flashpoint: Red River
    Red Faction: Guerrilla
    Resident Evil 5
    Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City
    Section 8
    Section 8: Prejudice
    Star Wars: The Clone Wars – Republic Heroes
    Street Fighter IV
    Street Fighter X Tekken
    Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition
    Universe at War: Earth Assault
    Virtua Tennis 4

Quite some big names in there...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Codemasters have already confirmed on their forum that they will be working to rectify multiplayer on their games suite.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Mister Man

Am I the only one who never had any trouble with GFWL? It automatically installed years ago when I got GTA IV, and it's worked perfectly ever since. Linked my XBL account to it, and no problem at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Mister Man wrote: »
    Am I the only one who never had any trouble with GFWL? It automatically installed years ago when I got GTA IV, and it's worked perfectly ever since. Linked my XBL account to it, and no problem at all.

Nope 2 of you , someone on page one said it also.

You 2 should marry clearly soul mates :pac:

Advertisement