Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trying to study....

• 19-08-2013 10:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭

I wouldnt normally post here. But I figure some of you students would probably have the answer to this.... :D

So your trying to study but every night from about 7pm to 10ish there is a bunch of 6 and 7 year olds running about and screaming the place down in the street just outside your house.

I tried the loud music, but then that turns into an even bigger distraction :D

Thinking about buying a set of hearing protection (know the ones like giant headphones) but thought Id ask on here before I go spending money and just see how everybody else copes.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭tr0llface

buy a fake shotgun (the children don't need to know that it's not real) and casually waltz by them a few times a day, maybe bring a faux fur coat back with you once in a plastic bag and let on that you've been hunting.

if you could couple it up with a fake adidas tracksuit and a skanger accent then they shouldn't be a problem anymore. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

If the fake gun doesn't work (big if I know, but no harm to have an alternative! :P):

I'd get a set of earplugs, you can get them for like a fiver in a chemist and they're great for blocking out stuff.

Another thing you could try is getting noise cancelling headphones and finding an ambient noise track (something like this). That way you get the benefit of headphones without the distraction of music. If the ambient noise isn't your thing, maybe try getting some mellow electronic music? Stuff without lyrics or a heavy beat, just something for the background.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

You need the kind of earmuffs used for shooting and air traffic etc. Would recommend the Peltor Optime IIIs. I have them and they block out a lot of noise. Cost around 20 euro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

I would second wnolan's suggestion of a background track, white noise with in-ear buds is what used in the run up to my exams. I use to live with Croke Park in my backyard (not even exaggerating) and if the noise from there wasn't bad enough I also had the most obnoxious neighbors who played music at full volume all day and night. White noise was a life saver, and since I only listened to it when I was studying it helped get me into the focused zone quicker. As a side effect I may not be able to study without it :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭insignia33

Lawliet wrote: »
    I would second wnolan's suggestion of a background track, white noise with in-ear buds is what used in the run up to my exams. I use to live with Croke Park in my backyard (not even exaggerating) and if the noise from there wasn't bad enough I also had the most obnoxious neighbors who played music at full volume all day and night. White noise was a life saver, and since I only listened to it when I was studying it helped get me into the focused zone quicker. As a side effect I may not be able to study without it :P

Sounds like a plan :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1 bob4020

Sounds like a good plan to me also.

<snip>

Advertisement