Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should i worry for my beer ? has something gone wrong?

Options
  • 19-08-2013 10:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭

hi all,
    I have only started brewing and i started sat,sorry for the noob question, just didnt know where else to ask.
    looked like everything was going well getting bubbles within a few hours, and a lot of bubbles at that, there also was a large head built up i had 20Lt or beer and the 33Lt container was almost full with head, but this came into the bubbles while i was at work and now all the head is gone and im getting very few bubbles in the bubbler, have i done something wrong ? what should i do ?
    its only been fermenting for approx 50 hours now. temps between 24-27
    it just doesn't look right but i could be wrong I'm really hopping I'm wrong.

is there any reason that this could change so quickly ?

thanks in advance for any help.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

It's fine. Leave it alone. Take a gravity reading on Saturday and have a taste then.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭invaderzimirl

ill see how it goes but it dose seem like there is something wrong with it as its stopped bubbling i opened it and took a picture it just dosent look right after 2 days. even though im new to this here is the pictures i took.

just from what i see on searches it looks like it might be infected :eek:

and there might be a slight vinegar smell but not 100% sure i might be imagining it from reading about what an infected wort in like

just dosent look right.jpg

level change.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

The level change looks grand in my limited knowledge, the Krausen can drop off dramatically after a few days.

As regards the other one I'm not experienced enough to comment.

thanks im just concerned as its my first one :-)
    just such a dramatic drop in a very short space of time

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

it dose seem like there is something wrong with it as its stopped bubbling
    Ignore the bubbler. It doesn't tell you anything useful.
    i opened it
    As I said, the best thing you can do is leave it alone. Every time you touch it, every time you open it, you risk something going wrong.

Besides, if something has gone wrong, there's nothing you can do to fix it. My advice is to walk away, let it do its thing, and come back to it at the weekend for a gravity reading and a taste. It doesn't look to me like anything is wrong with it.

• Advertisement

thanks again for all your help, i just wasn't expecting such a drastic change in such a short space of time.
    this was the first time i opened it since and ill leave it closed till i gale the reading and sample this weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

Yeast goes mad initially. It will consume all the O2 and use it to multiply. When the O2 is gone it goes anaerobic, and continues to eat the remaining sugar.

Once the yeast has gotten critical mass it will simply bully everything else off to the side.

It is possible that the yeast can fully ferment all the sugars within 48 hours. What you are seeing here is yeast doing a really good job. Wait for it to settle, and clean up after itself, then take a gravity reading and a taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭poitinstill

sounds like coopers yeast .. that goes mad. Its good and robust. leave it a min of 2 weeks without touching. then maybe gravity and a taste and unless its total gut wrenching bottle it else leave it 3 weeks and bottle then.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Tube

At those high temperatures 90% of your fermentation is going to be done in the first day or two.

excellent thanks everyone for your advice im much more confident in it now but im just leaving to take a reading at the weekend,

• Advertisement
Advertisement