Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LC Rechecks

• 19-08-2013 10:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

hey!
    I'll be rechecking English, Biology, Business and Maths :)

Does anyone know if i am likely to actually go up in grades? anyone have any experience in this area :P

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

anyone know when the actual viewing of the scripts is this week or next week?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 GreatAnswers

Sunny!! wrote: »
    anyone know when the actual viewing of the scripts is this week or next week?

30th and 31st of august :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 662 ✭✭✭aimzLc2

hey!

Does anyone know if i am likely to actually go up in grades? anyone have any experience in this area :P

It really depends! you should definitely try to bring a teacher in with you for another opinion as when you view them you might not be able to see any mistakes, be realistic though,if you don't really see anything wrong with the corrections then you are not going to go up so don't pay for appeals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭thegreatescape

I'm a bit confused as to what the process is for the appeals, would anyone be kind enough as to explain? I know you view your scripts in the sessions allocated to you, but are your teachers informed of your decision to view the script or do you have to arrange for them to go in with you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

You have to arrange it. I didn't bring any of my teachers in with me, some happened to be there, but if you want specific ones you need to ask the school to contact them for you or contact them yourself. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭thegreatescape

Canard wrote: »
    You have to arrange it. I didn't bring any of my teachers in with me, some happened to be there, but if you want specific ones you need to ask the school to contact them for you or contact them yourself. :)

Thank you very much!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭linguist

First of all, read the documentation regarding the recheck process and fill in the forms. AFAIK, you indicate a preference for the day and time you'd like to do your viewing. Most candidates want Friday evening but depending on the level of demand you may have to do it on the Saturday. A member of staff of the school is appointed superintendent for the viewing. That person will normally contact you to confirm the arrangements.

Secondly, you have the right to bring somebody with you. If you wish it to be your former subject teacher or another teacher in the school, you normally have to contact that person directly. Telephone the school office and leave a message for them. Some schools/teachers may be more proactive in making arrangements for staff to be available. If you know somebody that has actually examined the subject and level, particularly this year, that is really the person you want with you. A person who examined this year will already know the marking scheme inside out. Everybody else will see it for the first time at the viewing. Of course, if such a person isn't available, you can consult with anyone else that you choose, but it has to be said that examiners with experience will give invaluable feedback.

Regarding your chances, the viewing/appeals process is about ensuring that the marking scheme was applied fairly and consistently to your script. So that is what you are looking at. Whether you think an answer should have been accepted or a certain answer that counted for partial marks could have counted for more is pretty irrelevant. What is at issue is whether your script was marked in accordance with the scheme. Obviously essay type questions are where inconsistencies might more easily arise because this is where the examiner has to use their own judgement to a greater degree. In some cases, you may observe a clear totting/mathematical error. There is, I think, no charge for pointing this out to the SEC. My understanding is that overall about 20% of appeals are upheld, however this is not uniform across subjects. There are occasions where a particular examiner's error could have occurred repeatedly and slipped through the net. These are rare but not unknown.

Finally, please note that you view your scripts under controlled conditions. You are not allowed to bring in any writing materials and electronic devices, including mobile phones, are forbidden as they are in the actual examinations. Only you and the person accompanying you are entitled to view your script so anything that could photograph and reproduce it is banned and the schedule of examination offences applies.

Good luck and hope that helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

hey!

Does anyone know if i am likely to actually go up in grades?
    I don't mean to be rude, but how on earth could we know that? :)

My standard advice for re-checks: view your scripts, examine carefully against the marking scheme, preferably with an experienced examiner or at least a subject teacher (not all teachers mark scripts). THEN you will have some idea at least as to whether you have a chance of going up.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 GreatAnswers

I don't mean to be rude, but how on earth could we know that? :)

My standard advice for re-checks: view your scripts, examine carefully against the marking scheme, preferably with an experienced examiner or at least a subject teacher (not all teachers mark scripts). THEN you will have some idea at least as to whether you have a chance of going up.

Im not asking anyone if you think I specifically will go up! I'm asking for experiences in this area :) surely there is no way anyone on boards could no my abilities or standard in these subjects :)just wondering did anyones grade jump up a good bit :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Some people's will have jumped a lot, if it was as a result of a mistot. Most people do not change grade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

The 2012 appeal statistics are here, if that helps:
    http://www.examinations.ie/press/PR_LC_Appeals_12.pdf

In summary: in 2012 the SEC issued 359,935 Leaving Cert grades. Of these, 8782 were appealed, and of these, 1672 were upgraded and 3 were downgraded. The number of upgrades is 0.46% of all grades awarded, or 19% of the grades appealed.

This really doesn't tell you much about YOUR chances of getting an upgrade, and, in particular, it does NOT tell you that you have a 19% chance of getting upgraded if you appeal. The appealed grades are not a random sample of the grades awarded; those who appeal are more likely to be people who have reason for believing that they were incorrectly marked in the first place, and/or have marks that are very close to the boundary of the next grade.

I agree with randylonghorn's advice. Another way putting it is that you should appeal if you have a reasonably good reason for believing that you have been awarded the incorrect grade.

Advertisement