Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Business Banking in Waterford

• 19-08-2013 10:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

just wondering has anyone had any experience of meeting a business adviser from any of the banks in town in relation to start-up businesses? I am taking the plunge soon, and starting my own business and will need to meet someone from the banks about opening an account.

Has anyone got any recommendations or positive/negative stories they wouldn't mind sharing? I have no preference toward a particular bank as it stands.

TIA :)

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Personally have always found AIB very easy to deal with in setting up accounts. You looking to get a loan in addition to setting up the account?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

Sully wrote: »
    Personally have always found AIB very easy to deal with in setting up accounts. You looking to get a loan in addition to setting up the account?

No, not getting the loan. Is there a particular branch you'd recommend? Thanks Sully.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Jason Todd wrote: »
    No, not getting the loan. Is there a particular branch you'd recommend? Thanks Sully.

My main branch is Lisdugan, but I float between there and the Quay tbh. The new automated machines for lodgements are a god send, much quicker to get in and out. The mobile app is easy to use for transferring money between accounts, checking balances, paying credit card bills etc. Its probably not the cheapest bank for fees, but I just find them friendly, easy to deal with, and the setup procedure was quick and easy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Jason Todd wrote: »
    Hi all,

just wondering has anyone had any experience of meeting a business adviser from any of the banks in town in relation to start-up businesses? I am taking the plunge soon, and starting my own business and will need to meet someone from the banks about opening an account.

Has anyone got any recommendations or positive/negative stories they wouldn't mind sharing? I have no preference toward a particular bank as it stands.

TIA :)

not much idea on the banks JT but best of luck, i really admire people who can go out there and do it like yourself. i dont care if you are a one man handyman or the next bil gates, fair play buddy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

I've same experience as Sully. Although over the last 6 years the person in charge of our business account has changed 4 times. Remember first signing the documents in now closed Michael Street branch. Never had an issue with them.
    When it comes to merchant account (Laser/Visa payments) I found Elavon better.

• Advertisement

beazee wrote: »
    I've same experience as Sully. Although over the last 6 years the person in charge of our business account has changed 4 times. Remember first signing the documents in now closed Michael Street branch. Never had an issue with them.
    When it comes to merchant account (Laser/Visa payments) I found Elavon better.

I haven't really had any reason to talk with my account manager, but I understand they have changed alright. Doesn't really bother me once my query is answered.

Don't have a merchant account, but I know from dealing with local businesses that Elavon comes in very competitive alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Odats

Just to point out with Bank of Ireland if you are a Mac user that their Business Online Business Software only works on Windows IE so you will need a VM. It is totally different system than 365.

Have experience of both albeit in Dublin and I found BOI more personal from an in branch perspective if you need to get things sorted quickly at branch level where AIB adopt a more account manager level.

BOI do a business start up account where you are exempt from bank fees for a period of time. Another point on BOI vs AIB is AIB don't do Business Visa Debit Cards but BOI do. This is handy if you have any international suppliers that you can effectively set up a direct debit.

Don't know anything about Ulster Bank or PTSB and I am just comparing based on experience of the two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

Odats wrote: »
    AIB don't do Business Visa Debit Cards
    I'm pretty sure our business Laser Card was replaced with Visa Debit Card few weeks ago. Came by post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Odats

Tried to get one off our account manager about two months ago and wouldn't entertain us as they said it was only for personal customers. Things must have changed since then. Obviously they were getting complaints and decided to compete with the others in offering VISA debit to Business customers.

It makes sense as a Laser card isn't of much use outside of Irish and some UK sites.

They replace lost / stolen Laser Cards with Visa Debit afaik. Though I was able to request a personal Visa Debit to replace my Laser, just went in and asked in the branch no problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭kaef

beazee wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure our business Laser Card was replaced with Visa Debit Card few weeks ago. Came by post.

Confirm. AIB Business Account comes with Visa Debit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

Max Powers wrote: »
    not much idea on the banks JT but best of luck, i really admire people who can go out there and do it like yourself. i dont care if you are a one man handyman or the next bil gates, fair play buddy.

Cheers bud!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Anyone know if TSB in Arundel Sq is closed down. A friend of mine is looking to set up a business account and they are undecided which bank to go with.
    I also heard that BOI on Parnell Street will be closing soon and all business will be re-directed to the Quay.
    It seems that soon there will be a few banks left in our city.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 257 ✭✭madfcuker

Anyone know if TSB in Arundel Sq is closed down. A friend of mine is looking to set up a business account and they are undecided which bank to go with.
    I also heard that BOI on Parnell Street will be closing soon and all business will be re-directed to the Quay.

TSB is long gone. And you are correct about BOI.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭kaef

Well... It's 21st century, we use online banking to check account balance, to pay bills, to transfer money. There are plenty ATMs on the streets (but never enough), so no need to queueing. Online banking is available 24/7, while branches mostly 10-4, mon-fri.

I'm pretty sure that there's 2x less customers in every branch than 20 years ago, so I don't see anything unusual in closing down local branches.

Advertisement