Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Standard upgrading estimate?

Options
  • 19-08-2013 10:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Can anyone give a rough/ballpark figure to modernise a 840sq ft / 78sqm period 2 bed split level terraced house. It would need a new kitchen, central heating, insulation, possibly new floors in one or two of the rooms. New windows to the rear (6 in total) and a new back door. There is gas mains already, there is a gas boiler under the kitchen sink which I guess is just used to heat water. There is damp on one of the internal walls. The rest of the walls appear ok but maybe would need replastering? Regarding the kitchen we would consider buying 2nd hand wall & floor units if we found suitable ones. There is an existing alarm and rear outside security light. I dont know if it needs to be fully rewired but probably upgraded at least.
    I know there are loads of variables but really just looking for a ballpark for the above if possible maybe from someone who has done a similar job. What are we looking at - 30K? 40K? More? Any contributions greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭kkelliher

m6219 wrote: »
    Can anyone give a rough/ballpark figure to modernise a 840sq ft / 78sqm period 2 bed split level terraced house. It would need a new kitchen, central heating, insulation, possibly new floors in one or two of the rooms. New windows to the rear (6 in total) and a new back door. There is gas mains already, there is a gas boiler under the kitchen sink which I guess is just used to heat water. There is damp on one of the internal walls. The rest of the walls appear ok but maybe would need replastering? Regarding the kitchen we would consider buying 2nd hand wall & floor units if we found suitable ones. There is an existing alarm and rear outside security light. I dont know if it needs to be fully rewired but probably upgraded at least.
    I know there are loads of variables but really just looking for a ballpark for the above if possible maybe from someone who has done a similar job. What are we looking at - 30K? 40K? More? Any contributions greatly appreciated!

I have highlighted the main issues you have. In each depending on the specification, your budget could vary greatly. If the property is a traditional period property then you could be into lime plastering which is the most expensive form of plastering you can do. If you use traditional plastering methods you could cause rotting problems as the building will not be able to breath. If you need to rewire and replumb the property you will be impacting on walls and ceilings throughout. It appears your hot water is coming from individual water heaters, to install a new gas boiler to run all the heating and hot water including replumb of the property could set you back anywhere from 6-10k depending on spec. Windows will purly depend on choice. UPVC cheapest and aluclad at the top end with timber in between. The damp issue will depend on cause and extent. Kitchen can set you back anything from a couple of grand to sixty depending on what you choose. Floor finishes again depends on spec, insulation on spec etc. I would think €40k might disappear very quickly when in reality that equates to 35k after you deduct VAT

• Registered Users Posts: 25 m6219

Thanks kkelliher. I am thinking 40K could go quickly alright. With an old house I guess you don't know what underlying issues there are until you strip it back. That is just a purely "visual" list above so we would have to get a surveyor in to see what needs to be done.

Advertisement