Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting first year in UCC!

Options
  • 19-08-2013 10:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Who else is? Got offered my first choice, Social Science, this morning :D SO EXCITED :D

When are people moving up properly?? And I'm looking at the timetable on the UCC site, are they accurate or can they change?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 MartyL

OM95 wrote: »
    Who else is? Got offered my first choice, Social Science, this morning :D SO EXCITED :D

When are people moving up properly?? And I'm looking at the timetable on the UCC site, are they accurate or can they change?

I'm starting in September too :) Got my offer on August first in round zero. I'm doing arts. I don't know exactly when we are all starting but I know its different days for different courses. However,I know we are supposed to be getting some sort of information pack about the whole thing now that the CAO has been released.

I'll probably move up about the fourth of september as I can move into my accommodation from the third. I'm really looking forward to it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

I'm starting in social science as well OP, though I'm 25 so ill be going in as a mature student.

I moved here last month and just started working last week so I'm all set to get started!

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,448 ✭✭✭TheChizler

You'll all be getting personalised packs with registration info in the post on Wednesday next week (my brother's one of the envelope stuffing monkeys) then general information packs and timetables on the day. Timetables are here but if your course has minors and majors (arts basically) best to wait till the day. There'll be a massive orientation session so no need to worry about anything, bar accommodation, until then as you'll be walked through everything.

Best of luck, doing final exams (again) currently so hopefully I'll never see you! :D

TheChizler wrote: »
    You'll all be getting personalised packs with registration info in the post on Wednesday next week (my brother's one of the envelope stuffing monkeys) then general information packs and timetables on the day. Timetables are here but if your course has minors and majors (arts basically) best to wait till the day. There'll be a massive orientation session so no need to worry about anything, bar accommodation, until then as you'll be walked through everything.

Best of luck, doing final exams (again) currently so hopefully I'll never see you! :D

Thanks for all the great information! Really useful. Good luck in your exams! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,448 ✭✭✭TheChizler

MartyL wrote: »
    Thanks for all the great information! Really useful. Good luck in your exams! :D

Actually one more thing, complete the registration bits that you can before orientation! I used to help with registrations during orientation years ago and the number of people who had forgotten their info or not completed anything online was unreal. Do everything the registration pack says and bring the confirmation of registration with you on the day, if you don't know what a web browser is (seriously, had several leaving certs who had done the CAO who couldn't use a computer) learn what it is. There should be a bit of paper with a PIN in it, bring that! Do all that and it will go very smoothly.

• Advertisement

Actually one more thing, complete the registration bits that you can before orientation! I used to help with registrations during orientation years ago and the number of people who had forgotten their info or not completed anything online was unreal. Do everything the registration pack says and bring the confirmation of registration with you on the day, if you don't know what a web browser is (seriously, had several leaving certs who had done the CAO who couldn't use a computer) learn what it is. There should be a bit of paper with a PIN in it, bring that! Do all that and it will go very smoothly.

I'll be sure to do that. I'm familiar with web browsers so hopefully I should be grand! :p Thanks again for all the info!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 outrageous

Got accepted to BIS in UCC, Delighted and can't wait to start. I live in Cork so I don't have to worry about accommodation. Good luck to everybody and enjoy :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

if any of you first years are on facebook check out these:

this will be handy for orientation (and information through the year)
    Fáilte Fest

if any of you are looking for help with anything there is:
    Ucc Peer Support
    and if you are wondering what peer support is there is a youtube video:

• Registered Users Posts: 14 OM95

MartyL wrote: »
    I'm starting in September too :) Got my offer on August first in round zero. I'm doing arts. I don't know exactly when we are all starting but I know its different days for different courses. However,I know we are supposed to be getting some sort of information pack about the whole thing now that the CAO has been released.

I'll probably move up about the fourth of september as I can move into my accommodation from the third. I'm really looking forward to it :D

Yeah isn't Arts orientation the 11th/12th! Mines the 9th so I'll prob stay the night before and that night and then come down home again till lectures start! Registration stuff was emailed to me there so the fun is starting now! Good luck with your course :D

Thanks & good luck!!

• Advertisement

dazftw wrote: »
    I'm starting in social science as well OP, though I'm 25 so ill be going in as a mature student.

I moved here last month and just started working last week so I'm all set to get started!

I'm the same, I'm just waiting for the day where we can finally start!! :D

I'm here registering and it says I have to choose between either philosophy or social practice and the social professions.. I haven't a clue which one I'd like to do, I've no idea which I'd enjoy more.. Have you any idea on whether we can change our minds if we don't like the one we've chosen??

hoodwinked wrote: »
    if any of you first years are on facebook check out these:

this will be handy for orientation (and information through the year)
    Fáilte Fest

if any of you are looking for help with anything there is:
    Ucc Peer Support
    and if you are wondering what peer support is there is a youtube video:

Thanks a mill!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

I'm the same, I'm just waiting for the day where we can finally start!! :D

I'm here registering and it says I have to choose between either philosophy or social practice and the social professions.. I haven't a clue which one I'd like to do, I've no idea which I'd enjoy more.. Have you any idea on whether we can change our minds if we don't like the one we've chosen??

I choose philosophy, seemed the more interesting choice!

You can check what they involve here:

http://www.ucc.ie/modules/descriptions/page062.html#SS1012

http://www.ucc.ie/modules/descriptions/page056.html#PH1002

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

Yeah isn't Arts orientation the 11th/12th! Mines the 9th so I'll prob stay the night before and that night and then come down home again till lectures start! Registration stuff was emailed to me there so the fun is starting now! Good luck with your course :D

Yeah..mine is the 11th I think. I'll be definitely be taking advantage of those few days to try and find my way around! I have no head for directions and a knack for getting lost :p Got my registration email too...well it was an email to tell me they'll send me another email! Thanks very much for your well wishes :) Good luck to you!

Advertisement