Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CAO : Round 1 offers info

• 19-08-2013 11:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Just a quick question that i need help on

Lets say you miss out on a course that requires 520 points , and you hope to move up the order .....

Lets say the person ahead of you had it as their 2nd option , they got 520 , but are forced to take their 1st choice , does this mean that the real score will drop for round 2 ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Royaler95 wrote: »
    Just a quick question that i need help on

Lets say you miss out on a course that requires 520 points , and you hope to move up the order .....

Lets say the person ahead of you had it as their 2nd option , they got 520 , but are forced to take their 1st choice , does this mean that the real score will drop for round 2 ?
    Very confusingly phrased, but if I got the core of it ...

The points listed for the course in any round are the points of the last person in the door.

So if the last person to get a place in Round 1 got 520 points, that's the points listed for Round 1.

If the last person to get in in Round 2 got 510 points, that's the points for Rd 2 for that course.

It has nothing to do with where on their order of preference people had the course, and the guy you mention would have been offered his first preference and his points would never have had anything to do with the course you're talking about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭SeanyboyQPR

What makes a course go to second round?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

What makes a course go to second round?
    People not accepting, deferring, or else people getting a higher preference, as far as I know.

Canard wrote: »
    People not accepting, deferring, or else people getting a higher preference, as far as I know.

But if people got a higher preference wouldn't they just have been offered that first day and thus out of the equation? :( missed Law in UCD by 10, couldn't see many deferring or not accepting... It's not something people go to the UK to do so more than likely no second round :(

But if people got a higher preference wouldn't they just have been offered that first day and thus out of the equation? :( missed Law in UCD by 10, couldn't see many deferring or not accepting... It's not something people go to the UK to do so more than likely no second round :(
    Nope, think about it. If someone gets Law in UCD but wants Science in Trinity, and someone in TCD Science defers, then that means they get their place and Law now has a vacancy, all the courses relate to some extent in that way. You never know! If you only missed it by 10 points you'd be sure to get law somewhere, and there's always rechecks too. :)

• Advertisement

Nope, think about it. If someone gets Law in UCD but wants Science in Trinity, and someone in TCD Science defers, then that means they get their place and Law now has a vacancy, all the courses relate to some extent in that way. You never know! If you only missed it by 10 points you'd be sure to get law somewhere, and there's always rechecks too. :)

Yeah I'm in in Maynooth, but had my heart set in Dublin :/ I'm definitely getting one or two rechecks as I don't understand how some of my grades came to be, but with UCD lectures starting the second of September, it'll be too late and I doubt they'd let me in by the time my rechecks were done, even if they brought me up points wise

Yeah I'm in in Maynooth, but had my heart set in Dublin :/ I'm definitely getting three or four rechecks as I don't understand how some of my grades came to be, but with UCD lectures starting the second of September, it'll be too late and I doubt they'd let me in by the time my rechecks were done, even if they brought me up points wise
    Ahh thats a pity :( I'm almost 100% sure if you get the points they're obliged to offer you a place - definitely the next year if not the year you sit the exams. A friend in my course went up in the rechecks and moved to Trinity, whose lectures do start later than those in UCD admittedly, but with law's low hours and the fact that you'd have been doing it in NUIM already they'd probably let you in. So fingers crossed for the rechecks then!

Ahh thats a pity :( I'm almost 100% sure if you get the points they're obliged to offer you a place - definitely the next year if not the year you sit the exams. A friend in my course went up in the rechecks and moved to Trinity, whose lectures do start later than those in UCD admittedly, but with law's low hours and the fact that you'd have been doing it in NUIM already they'd probably let you in. So fingers crossed for the rechecks then!

Wow, thanks for all your help! Even though it cuts a little not to get UCD, I'm really coming around to the idea of Maynooth. Still nice to have that little bit of hope though...

Wow, thanks for all your help! Even though it cuts a little not to get UCD, I'm really coming around to the idea of Maynooth. Still nice to have that little bit of hope though...
    No problem! Of course it would be nicer to get your first choice, but at least you got in somewhere. :) All you can do now is wait, so enjoy the start of college anyway, only happens once. ;)

Advertisement