Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eating out Kilkenny Restaurants

Options
  • 20-08-2013 1:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭

Going to be heading to Kilkenny soon for a friends birthday and wondering what's the story with restaurants in the town ? Had a search of the forum but last results are over a year old :(

Where would be a nice place to have a meal for a birthday that won't cost a fortune ?

Somewhere that does Italian/European/Irish food is where we'd be looking for.

Was looking at Rinuccini but heard it's VERY expensive !! How much would one expect to pay for a meal for two here ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Little Italy and La Palmyra, both on John Street are good Italian places. Nice food, and not expensive. Lautrec's on Kieran's St, and The Grapevine on Rose Inn St do tapas. The Grapevine is very nice, not been to Lautrec's yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

+1 for Little Italy its a nice little spot not far from all the nightlife altho in Kilkenny nothing is far from anything. :D

Iv been to Lautrecs alot its really nice its now a tapas spot, i was in there last Friday and it was packed.

In relation to Rinuccini it is a nice spot it can be expensive the last time i was in there with the GF it cost me about 120euro for the both of us. If its a group party i wouldnt think its a place to go as its more of an upmarket couples place.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Wimbago

City Bar and Grill do excellent food at reasonable prices. Only been in there during the day Saturday and Sunday and food has been well above regular Sunday fare.

Marble City Bar reliable also, possibly not for romantic meal but very good quality.

Personal favourite is the Grapevine. It's a tapas bar but the food is outstanding. If Saturday evening, book it early in the week imo. Also helps if you're with fussy eaters or people that don't eat a lot, with the style of menu and options available everyone should be catered for.

Upper end, Campagne, Rinuccini's and Foodworks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

OP if you use menupages.ie you can search all the restaurants in Kilkenny, view the menu options and prices for each and read the reviews of people who have dined in the various establishments.

BTW, I've no affiliation with menupages, I just use them a lot to book restaurants in places I'm not familiar with.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Wimbago wrote: »
    Marble City Bar reliable also, possibly not for romantic meal but very good quality.

MCB food is excellent but in my opinion very overpriced for what you get.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

I'm a big fan of Zunis! I have had a few birthday celebration dinners there and have always enjoyed lovely food.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

Spolied for choice in kk tbh... If is a reasonable Italian your after I'd go to la rivista http://www.larivista.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

I prefer Italian Connection, Little Italy or Langtons for food whether for Parties or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

Pang wrote: »
    I'm a big fan of Zunis! I have had a few birthday celebration dinners there and have always enjoyed lovely food.

+1 for Zunis. Great service and nicest meal I've had this year. Was reasonable too. Can't wait to go there again to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭mefynn

+ 1 for zunis also,delicious food,great service and great value,none better,recently awarded for customer service

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Zuni would be my preference. I really don't see what so great about Rinuicinnis that get away with charging as much as they do, it's seriously over rated.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Rantan

surprised not to see more recomendations for Campagne?? Its by far the best restaurant in KK by a long shot...its not "cheap" but the quality is top rated....you can get excellent value in the early bird...havent been therre in a year or two but I think two courses was €23?? for the quality of the food and the venue thats hard to best IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Rantan wrote: »
    surprised not to see more recomendations for Campagne?? Its by far the best restaurant in KK by a long shot...its not "cheap" but the quality is top rated....you can get excellent value in the early bird...havent been therre in a year or two but I think two courses was €23?? for the quality of the food and the venue thats hard to best IMO
    My wife really likes it, food is good but it felt a bit cramped, that's why i preferred Zuni.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Rantan wrote: »

Never been in it, whereabouts is it in the city :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Autosport wrote: »
    Never been in it, whereabouts is it in the city :)

Gasworks lane

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Seanie_H

aaabbbb wrote: »
    Was looking at Rinuccini but heard it's VERY expensive !! How much would one expect to pay for a meal for two here ?

I recommend push the boat out and pay the extra.

Was there recently and had a smasher of a feed.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭twinkletoes

Rinnucinnis would be my personal favourite..we usually pay 100 euro for a night time meal there on a special occasion including a couple of drinks. Their early bird is much cheaper though and its the same food...and their lunches are better again for value.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭twinkletoes

Meant to say the 100e was for a couple and incl a starter, main course each,shared a dessert and about 2 drinks each

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭nootroc

The Design Workshop on the Parade is very nice also

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭lassykk

Would highly recommend Zuni or Campagne... Have eaten in Zuni a few times and everytime it's high quality and ate in Campagne once and found it very good also

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

For somewhere casual, Ripley's steakhouse is nice, was there last night, the place was full, 16oz ribeye with all the trimmings €23.

We are going to Rinucinni's tonight looks very nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭foxcoverteddy

I went into the menu.ie for Kilkenny, absolutely brilliant, never knew it existed, great pity there are restaurants listed that are no more and some have more stars as a result of one recommendation.
    I find commenting about places difficult as we all have different tastes and I believe it is a very personal thing.
    But thanks for the info. Foxy

Advertisement