Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First year Arts Advice!

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Robynne

The first year Sociology booklet is here if you wanna see what it'll be like? Might help with decisions :)

http://www.ucc.ie/en/sociology/current/cundergraduate/firstyrbookletFINAL27.08.13.pdf

oh brilliant Ill have a look! thanks :)

Fabio wrote: »
    Nah you'll be fine. The Leaving Cert is the hardest thing you will ever do (with the possible exception of a PhD....ask me how I know hahaha!) so don't worry about it being tough. You'll be fine.

how do you know ? hahah
    ok so thanks :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭shane9689

man, kind of excited to get back to college again.
    bit of advice for the newbies.... pre-drink! and buy it in massive bulk! preferably beer, youll be dead from the spirits because youll be going out more than you think haha (if you do drink, better you dont). dont waste money on drinks in the clubs the first week. i did that because i was being sociable with mates and all that taking shots but looking back i didnt really need to haha...god, 50 euro gone in seconds

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭chaoskitten_DF

shane9689 wrote: »
    man, kind of excited to get back to college again.
    bit of advice for the newbies.... pre-drink! and buy it in massive bulk! preferably beer, youll be dead from the spirits because youll be going out more than you think haha (if you do drink, better you dont). dont waste money on drinks in the clubs the first week. i did that because i was being sociable with mates and all that taking shots but looking back i didnt really need to haha...god, 50 euro gone in seconds

Same! :D

Just as a point from someone who's seen quite a bit in the years I've been here and would like to pass on some advice from another viewpoint.
    I'd say don't drink/keep it to a reasonable level- I know most people like a drink and going out but I know a lot of first years who went out of control and messed it up for themselves or got injured because of it XD
    Just if you do pre-drink, don't go overboard- I've lived with people who did and seen a lot of them make things harder for themselves in college with money/actually getting stuff done or get hurt (I'm talking to the point of surgery needed).
    I actually have a better social life than most of the binge drinkers I know ironically.
    Just mind yourself OP, I'd hate to see another go down that road :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Qwertpo

I am also doing arts and have picked my subjects but i chose Geography without doing it for the LC only because it was the one i hated the least and most of the options were languages which i hated. Just wondering if Geog will be difficult having not sat it for the LC?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Qwertpo

Also with the two Arts groups for orientation does that mean we are pretty much seperate groups for the whole year? Because all the people i know are in the group a-m :P or is that just for orientation day.?

Qwertpo wrote: »
    Also with the two Arts groups for orientation does that mean we are pretty much seperate groups for the whole year? Because all the people i know are in the group a-m :P or is that just for orientation day.?

It's just for orientation day :) The Arts group is so big that it's easier to split it for the orientation (the room used for the main talk wouldn't fit everyone in too)- it's around 1200 in total if memory serves me right...
    I was in a-m too XD

I don't think you have to have done Geog for the LC, best thing would be to go to a few lectures and see how you get on. You can always switch to something else if you feel it's not right for you (there's a deadline to switch though just remember).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭shane9689

Same! :D

Just as a point from someone who's seen quite a bit in the years I've been here and would like to pass on some advice from another viewpoint.
    I'd say don't drink/keep it to a reasonable level- I know most people like a drink and going out but I know a lot of first years who went out of control and messed it up for themselves or got injured because of it XD
    Just if you do pre-drink, don't go overboard- I've lived with people who did and seen a lot of them make things harder for themselves in college with money/actually getting stuff done or get hurt (I'm talking to the point of surgery needed).
    I actually have a better social life than most of the binge drinkers I know ironically.
    Just mind yourself OP, I'd hate to see another go down that road :(

i would say the same. don't drink (ive become a health freak over the past few months so im cutting back drink in a major way too) but to be fair, i don't think a first year student who most likely just turned 18 is going to honestly take that advice. so i decided to give some money saving tips instead :P

Well Im actually 19( Oh I know, I'm pushing on!) haha... And I'm not maaaaaaaaaad into going out really at all! I think everything is just habbit! And I've been working full time all summer, that I dont have energy to go out if Im honest and so I'm actually not bothered about it now! Don't get me wrong , I'm no dry b*lls either, but I most definitely won't be party mad! So ye had an easy time convincing me! :P
    Its getting closer now, I can't wait as nerdy as that sounds! Subject choices will be the death of me hahah.. Im so annoyed that psychology and art history are in the same grouping :( They're two that I really wanted to do :( Thats why Im finding it hard! because I'm definitely going to do history and english... having to pick one of the two is hard, and trying to pick a fourth now for the sake of it is even harder!

shane9689 wrote: »
    i would say the same. don't drink (ive become a health freak over the past few months so im cutting back drink in a major way too) but to be fair, i don't think a first year student who most likely just turned 18 is going to honestly take that advice. so i decided to give some money saving tips instead :P

XD Some would!
    Fair play to you, I just decided not to when I was 15 and I stuck to it :)
    The money saving advice though is useful when it's December or May and you're eating noodles everyday XD
    Robynne wrote: »
    Well Im actually 19( Oh I know, I'm pushing on!) haha... And I'm not maaaaaaaaaad into going out really at all! I think everything is just habbit! And I've been working full time all summer, that I dont have energy to go out if Im honest and so I'm actually not bothered about it now! Don't get me wrong , I'm no dry b*lls either, but I most definitely won't be party mad! So ye had an easy time convincing me! :P
    Its getting closer now, I can't wait as nerdy as that sounds! Subject choices will be the death of me hahah.. Im so annoyed that psychology and art history are in the same grouping :( They're two that I really wanted to do :( Thats why Im finding it hard! because I'm definitely going to do history and english... having to pick one of the two is hard, and trying to pick a fourth now for the sake of it is even harder!

I was 19 too in first year (I'm 21 now :) ).
    Same, I go out sometimes but prefer to stay in more to be honest because I like to relax.
    I remember in first year in the Village all my flatmates would head out on Thursday nights (that's the big party night in Cork coz Fridays usually only have a single class or two at most) and when they were gone I'd rob the living room and tv for the night XD Pj's galore! XD

Ah that sucks!
    Make sure you check out the exam papers when it comes to choosing your subjects, they'll give you an idea of what the course entails and you'll know whether you're interested or not in it.
    As a tip, check out Vibes & Scribes on the quays because they have some of the History and English books secondhand there (perfect condition) too at the moment :) It'll save you quite a bit of money. :)
    Also when it comes to History, if you can photocopy everything you'll need for the exams early you'll save yourself a lot of trouble- study month gets crazy for finding certain books XD

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 DonallFitz

chaoskitten_DF, you seem to know alot about Arts, is it a really as broad of course as they say it is? As in after you graduate will your career options be wide open? You wouldn't be snookered into becoming a teacher?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

DonallFitz wrote: »
    chaoskitten_DF, you seem to know alot about Arts, is it a really as broad of course as they say it is? As in after you graduate will your career options be wide open? You wouldn't be snookered into becoming a teacher?

There really is a ton of options, for myself I'm continuing my education and entering an entirely different field. But that's not to say that I haven't learned a ton of beneficial skills from the course. I never intended on becoming a teacher and I could have remained in my field without having to resort to becoming a teacher.

DonallFitz wrote: »

It really is. The whole 'Arts is just for teaching' is really just a stereotype, off the top of my head I can only think of two friends who want to be teachers in Arts. Everyone else has vastly different goals :)
    The only course I can think of in Arts that is the most geared towards teaching is History because there's a strong emphasis on modern Irish history- but even then there's other options not taught in schools :)
    Corkfeen wrote: »
    There really is a ton of options, for myself I'm continuing my education and entering an entirely different field. But that's not to say that I haven't learned a ton of beneficial skills from the course. I never intended on becoming a teacher and I could have remained in my field without having to resort to becoming a teacher.

Exactly! :)
    I couldn't become a secondary school teacher with my subjects really (Major in Celtic Civ & Minor in Archaeology).

Well I finally picked my subjects! English, History, Geography and psychology! :) Thanks everyone for all the advice!
    I cant find much about psychology on the website though? can someone help me out please?

Well I finally picked my subjects! English, History, Geography and psychology! :) Thanks everyone for all the advice!
    I cant find much about psychology on the website though? can someone help me out please?

Great. Remember what I said about Vibes & Scribes on the quays, they have a lot of the History and English books cheaper :)
    Not too sure about psychology, it's fairly tough as far as I know but interesting :)

Oh yeah, brilliant thanks! :)
    Yeah I heard its tough too, But I hope I like it!!

Oh yeah, brilliant thanks! :)
    Yeah I heard its tough too, But I hope I like it!!

I'm sure you'll be grand and if you don't like it you can switch to something else up to a date sometime in October (not sure the date but it's probably in the info you were given :) ) :)

Advertisement