Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway's new bike scheme (SPIN) up and running!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Eogclouder wrote: »
    I'd argue purple but I can see room for them being called pink.

There you go. Perhaps that's part of the marketing strategy. "It's a biscuit", "it's a bar"...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭what_traffic

@Eogclouder what kind of usage to date have you seen around campus of the SPIN bike's? I presume it mainly staff/ PHD students using them as Undergaduates not back for 2/3 weeks.

I think the bike's are purple - but the rack color is on the pinkier side of purple.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Eogclouder

@Eogclouder what kind of usage to date have you seen around campus of the SPIN bike's? I presume it mainly staff/ PHD students using them as Undergaduates not back for 2/3 weeks.

I think the bike's are purple - but the rack color is on the pinkier side of purple.

It Depends on the rack in question, I grab it after nine in the morning and go from the quad to corrib village.

The rack at the quad is always full but the one in corrib village seems to always be empty. I don't think there's enough bikes. I've no idea how they plan to make sure racks stay full at any given time.

I've only seen a few people on them so far including myself. I think come September there'll be more demand for it than they can handle, 45 is short-sighted for a campus that regularly has several thousand students on the grounds at a time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

The bikes and their racks are purple and not pink. There is no gender agenda.. End of!

They have contracted someone from Europa Cycles to go around in a golf buggy & bike trailer to relocate bikes from rack to rack. He is already at it. Poor guy has his work cut out for him.

[IMG][/img]BRk_ITHr_CUAExto_H.jpg

• Advertisement

snubbleste wrote: »
    [IMG][/img]BRk_ITHr_CUAExto_H.jpg

purple as ****

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Saw a bunch of bikes parked at NUIG, hope the scheme works out well.
    Nice baskets :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Are all the lock's on the bike's Kryptonite locks?

Are all the lock's on the bike's Kryptonite locks?
    But of course

• Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    The City Tribune report linked to above includes an illustration of what a proposed site on Augustine Street might look like. For me this immediately raises the question of how Galway City Council intends to facilitate use of the shared bikes. Augustine Street and some adjacent roads are one-way, which means that, for example, it will be illegal to cycle the quickest route to that docking station from the Flood Street/Quay Street/Cross Street direction. Users of the shared bikes who wish to dock in Augustine Street will therefore have to take a circuitous route or else become 'rolling pedestrians' or, more likely, will cycle illegally against the flow of traffic either on the footpaths or the roadway.

Therefore another upside of the proposed shared bike scheme for Galway is that it might well prompt a long-overdue revision of the City Council's counter-productive policy of forcing cyclists to follow convoluted one-way systems designed for motorised traffic.

Expect opposition from residents: we live in narrow one-way streets, we don't expect to have to look both ways every time we step off the kerb. Admittedly, these days I do exactly that, because of the number of cyclists who routinely break the law. But I don't think it's a reasonable expectation of me - and the substantial number of elderly people who live in the area.

If a cyclist cannot be bothered circling round the Cross/Middle/Abbeygate/Augustine St block ... you have to wonder would they bother riding at all.

• Advertisement

Expect opposition from residents: we live in narrow one-way streets, we don't expect to have to look both ways every time we step off the kerb.

Admittedly, these days I do exactly that, because of the number of cyclists who routinely break the law. But I don't think it's a reasonable expectation of me - and the substantial number of elderly people who live in the area.

Why do you think cyclists are currently going the 'wrong way' up one-way streets? Are they literally going out of their way to harass pedestrians? I doubt it. What they are doing is taking the shortest and most convenient route to their destination. Nothing pass-remarkable about that, and it's an entirely predictable response to the unworkable imposition of car-centric restrictions on a mode of travel that is intrinsically convenient.

And yes, it is illegal in Ireland, as is cycling on the footpath. Unfortunately, for decades now this country's transportation policies, roads engineering standards, "planning" culture and official attitudes have brought us to a situation where such behaviour is not only commonplace but tacitly accepted or even expected by decision makers. I was at a public meeting once where a very senior Council official said that a rigorous approach to the enforcement of road traffic regulations was not feasible because if you went after the motorists you'd also have to tackle the lawbreaking cyclists on the footpaths and going the wrong way up one-way streets. In other words, it ain't broke so don't try to fix it or you'll upset too many people. The one-way streets are just grand, and sure what's the harm in just letting cyclists work it out for themselves while we turn a blind eye. That was my interpretation of the unwritten Council policy, at any rate.

I'd expect opposition for sure. However, it's important to be aware that they've been doing this in other European cities for decades. The sky has not fallen in, road casualties have not rocketed, and their modal share for cycling is multiples of ours.

Also worth noting is that in those European cities a substantial number of elderly people are regular cyclists. In the Netherlands, older people aged 75 and up "use the bicycle for only [sic] 17% of all trips": http://erso.swov.nl/knowledge/content/40_pedestrians/walking_and_cycling_as_transport_modes.htm

Perhaps we don't expect to see cyclists in certain circumstances because the number of cyclists has been eroded over decades by various cycle-hostile policies, such as one-way systems. The same may apply to motorists' awareness of cyclists, often a problem. The upside is that more bikes on the road will help to raise general awareness and hence make the roads safer.

In any case, one-way exemptions are now national and local policy in Ireland, although actual implementation is very slow. The National Cycle Policy Framework advocates the dismantling of one-way restrictions for bikes, and the Galway City Development Plan mandates cycle exemptions on one-way streets where feasible and appropriate. The Jacobs Report linked to earlier also specifically identifies permeability for cycling as a key enabling measure:
    An exploration of complementary measures is recommended to increase the impact of any bike-sharing scheme. The key focus is likely to be the need to improve cycle-traffic permeability in the city centres particularly in one-way streets and pedestrianised areas. This will have the twin advantage of making cycle trips more advantageous over other modes, as well as making journeys more navigable.
    An example of a cycle-friendly improvement on a city-wide scale is the legislation which permitted two-way cycling in all one-way streets with a 30kmh limit which was passed in France in 2010. As a result, the road network of Paris became a lot more navigable and permeable by bike, with no reported direct increase in casualties.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

Expect opposition from residents: we live in narrow one-way streets, we don't expect to have to look both ways every time we step off the kerb. Admittedly, these days I do exactly that, because of the number of cyclists who routinely break the law. But I don't think it's a reasonable expectation of me - and the substantial number of elderly people who live in the area.

If a cyclist cannot be bothered circling round the Cross/Middle/Abbeygate/Augustine St block ... you have to wonder would they bother riding at all.

So its not reasonable for people to look both ways before crossing the road? But it is reasonable to send cyclists the best part of a kilometer out of their way because somene else can't be bothered turning their head before walking 6m?

I suspect that for most elderly people in the city centre cyclists travelling both ways on particular streets was a fact for most of their lives.

Would any true Galwegian really expect this to change simply because some corporation engineer sticks up a sign?

So its not reasonable for people to look both ways before crossing the road? But it is reasonable to send cyclists the best part of a kilometer out of their way because somene else can't be bothered turning their head before walking 6m?

I suspect that for most elderly people in the city centre cyclists travelling both ways on particular streets was a fact for most of their lives.

Would any true Galwegian really expect this to change simply because some corporation engineer sticks up a sign?

Getting a bit off topic arent we? :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

The issue of one-way streets in Galway was specifically raised by the NTAs consultants on bike share proposals.

It is not possible to discuss one without discussing the other.

To be fair to Biko - although one-way streets etc are a valid topic for a thread on a city bikeshare scheme. I would accept the argument that they are off-topic for a thread on a campus bikeshare scheme.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

One way streets are probably a bit of a red herring.

They're ten-a-penny in Dublin and their presence hasn't hindered enthusiastic adoption of the scheme.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

What's the best international practice on determining who's a true Galwegian? Are there any studies from special pleading groups that we can get selected excerpts from?

Anecdotally (and let's remember that the plural of anecdotes is evidence), I believe that it you can trace your lineage through at least 5 Kings of the Claddagh, the pedestrianisation of Shop Street does not apply to you and you're allowed drive your Ford Anglia down it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Gentle reminder to stay on-topic upgraded to stern reminder

It seems near impossible to have a cycling thread without sniping, personal attacks and snide abuse - Expect harsher reminders to follow as a result of this ever-present trend.

I think I broke a spin bike on my lunch break. oops.

One way streets are probably a bit of a red herring.

They're ten-a-penny in Dublin and their presence hasn't hindered enthusiastic adoption of the scheme.

Not a red herring. The Jacobs Report, previously quoted and linked, makes that abundantly clear.

The Dublin Bikes initiative is one of the most successful in the world, afaik, and I'll be delighted if the Galway scheme does even half as well.

However, that does not mean that legislation, infrastructure, attitudes or awareness have kept pace.

http://www.thejournal.ie/is-dublin-a-bike-friendly-city-231850-Sep2011/
    http://www.herald.ie/news/cyclists-told-where-to-get-off-over-call-to-break-red-lights-28011132.html
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056366429

The great thing about successful shared bike schemes is that they create a notable presence of bikes very quickly. On the downside this puts a lot of wobbly novices on the streets rather suddenly, and these ingenues may well be frequently seen on footpaths and going the 'wrong way' up one-way streets (which is not to say that some hard chaws don't do the same). To quote Cllr Mannix Flynn, there are users of the Dublin Bikes who look like "they've never even been up on a rocking horse". :)

One potential upside, as I see it, is that a (mini) surge in bike use around Galway could create much more awareness of the well-recognised permeability issue, and therefore might speed up the implementation of national and local policy in this regard.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

In fairness, I think we've finally seen a bit of progress in terms of legislation keeping pace with cycling numbers in the past while.

The introduction of on the spot fines for cyclists means its now much easier to effectively police stuff like people riding on footpaths and breaking the lights etc.

Previously, the Guards had to issue a summons, which was something of a deterrent to them hauling up cyclists for doing it, since they had to show up in court themselves.

Having said that, I'm not sure I can agree that users of the bike sharing scheme are generally more reckless than other cyclists. I'm only going on what I see in Dublin, but you see an equal amount of law breaking from people on their own bikes.

• Advertisement

Eogclouder wrote: »
    I think I broke a spin bike on my lunch break. oops.

What happened? Basket fall off? ;)

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    What happened? Basket fall off? ;)

I was overzealous tackling a large curb. the back wheel was a bit ****ed after, the fattest part of the wheel was jammed between the brakepads pretty hard and it wouldn't turn at all so I had to carry it to the rack.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

If you have an "incident" best ring them to say what happened so someone can come out and fix it.
    http://grandscheme.co.uk/galway/GetInTouch

Bullet 9 here http://www.grandscheme.co.uk/galway/FAQ

biko wrote: »
    If you have an "incident" best ring them to say what happened so someone can come out and fix it.
    http://grandscheme.co.uk/galway/GetInTouch

Bullet 9 here http://www.grandscheme.co.uk/galway/FAQ

Thanks, will do! I wasnt sure who the hell to say it to.
    I also found one that was broken and just allowed you pop out the key without using the code.

Having had a quick look at that UK website, I now see that an advantage of their system is the ability to use existing infrastructure (eg standard bike racks) rather than the elaborate and expensive installations required by other shared bike schemes.

I also see that the website for Grand Scheme's "flagship" bike share initiative, ScratchBikes, has a section on Apps.

http://www.scratchbikes.co.uk/

My antiquated turf-burning mobile phone can't cope with such things, so I know nothing about them, but I wonder whether any apps exist or are planned for SPIN? Perhaps some non-Luddite can enlighten me?

Registration will be only opened to students and staff at first but that it ‘may’ be widened to the general public after launch. The university already has permission to locate extra locations off-campus but expansion depends on how successful it is.
    “This is an NUI Galway funded initiative in the pilot period of one year. It is hoped that revenues will largely fund the scheme as a going concern and there is also scope for advertising revenue on the mudguards of the bikes,” said Michelle Ní Chróinín, press officer at NUI Galway. “As revenues permit, additional bikes will be added to the scheme and hopefully additional stations.”

Grand Scheme runs Newcastle’s ScratchBikes – which was set up around Newcastle University then expanded across the city with the support of the city’s business improvement district company
    http://cyclingindublin.com/2013/08/06/galway-universitys-bike-share-scheme-may-be-opened-to-public/

No reason that I see why these bikes won't expand by this time next year to outlying student residences and town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭45mhrc7evo1d3n

Does anyone know what's going on with the NUI Galway Spin Scheme? I notice since Christmas the bike racks are all empty and I assume the scheme isn't currently running if there are no bikes available for scheme members to use. Bit of a disappointment for those who signed up and paid an annual membership fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭king_of_inismac

It seems the company running the scheme went bankrupt.

Bit disappointing since we all paid our €10 subscription in the Summer.

They (that company) won't be coming back and I haven't heard of a replacement being put in place. It might be hard to convince people to pay again so soon after the last one went under (even if the amount is quite low).

Here's the email that was sent around:

Dear Spinners,

Unfortunately Grand Scheme Bike Share Ltd filed for liquidation on Friday.

The bikes are off hire until the University finds a temporary arrangement or a permanent re-arrangement.

We apologise for the short notice but were just informed of developments late on Friday evening.

Regards,

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

As far as I know one of the companies behind it went bust. It was in one of the local papers a few months ago.

edit: SNAP!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭topcat77

The Uk based company "Grand scheme" went into liquidation. This is an article from Oxford city (And BBC) that had a bike rental scheme run by the same company as in Galway.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-oxfordshire-24983116

http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/10815041.Oxford_s__Boris_bikes__firm_goes_into_liquidation/

Advertisement