Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your quality of life

Options
  • 20-08-2013 8:45am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 772 ✭✭✭

For all the people here living abroad (which is probably most of you), what's your quality of life like where you are? What things do you have/do that you never could back home? What stuff do you miss or lack? Do you get homesick?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,403 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Caonima wrote: »
    For all the people here living abroad (which is probably most of you), what's your quality of life like where you are? What things do you have/do that you never could back home? What stuff do you miss or lack? Do you get homesick?

What can I do? Go out, get drunk have a great time and come hope for less than 20 euro. It's cheap here (Berlin) and the publci trasnport - especially at night - is excellent. There's also far more variety than than there is in Dublin, in terms of places to go, even different bars.

What do I miss? Not much, to be honest. Beaches - actual beaches, not just artifical ones on lakes. I wold add tea, but I get that sent over.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Caonima

Some friends have spent time in Berlin, too, and they said it's great. One friend mentioned a wine bar where you rent a glass for a few quid and then can drink as much as you like, and leave a tip before you leave. Something like the Winery or something was the name.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

What I like about here:
    Quality of life is good
    Public Transport is excellent, getting to pretty much anywhere in the country is possible.
    Healthcare is good
    Services and Public Amenities are well maintained (Parks/Public spaces)
    Roads are excellent (actually I would say the Dutch Road network is better than the German one)
    Belgium is cycling distance and cycling places without getting run down is possible.
    High Speed and Sleeper trains are possible to other parts of Continental Europe.
    I could theoretically get to London by train (although Ryanair is way cheaper)
    The beer is better (Belgian/Dutch/German)
    Toilets are always clean, I swear I don't understand how a lot of toilets in Ireland are always in such a state.
    Some good theme parks (De Efteling)
    Have gone to Amsterdam a few times and rented a self drive boat, thinking of getting a boat now to store at a canal near our house
    You can bring your dog everywhere, on the train, bars, cafes. Only place you can't bring a dog is the supermarket or motorway petrol stations.
    The Dutch approach to things, e.g. even though ecstasy is illegal and I don't partake myself you can bring it to a place in the City to have it tested and make sure it won't do you harm.

What I miss about Ireland:
    Cheese
    Hills
    A decent chipper
    Family/Friends

Some friends have spent time in Berlin, too, and they said it's great. One friend mentioned a wine bar where you rent a glass for a few quid and then can drink as much as you like, and leave a tip before you leave. Something like the Winery or something was the name.

Yeh, i've been to that place .. its not worth it to be honest, the wine isn't great and its a bit up its own hole, I'd say you could probably buy a bottle in Rewe for 3/4 euros.

The "pay what you think its worth" is actually pay around 5 euros per (tiny) glass, which is in no way worth it.

Theres a few tapas bars around Berlin with much better and cheaper wine and for less money.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,403 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Yeh, i've been to that place .. its not worth it to be honest, the wine isn't great and its a bit up its own hole, I'd say you could probably buy a bottle in Rewe for 3/4 euros.

The "pay what you think its worth" is actually pay around 5 euros per (tiny) glass, which is in no way worth it.

Theres a few tapas bars around Berlin with much better and cheaper wine and for less money.

Yeah, the idea kinda gto ruined a bit by freeloaders and rude staff complaining to the freeloaders (and not always getting the right person).

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

For me, living in the Middle East, the running joke was that the only thing I could not get from home was Clonakilty black pudding. Imagine my surprise a few months back when it appeared in my local shop.

I am lucky in so far as my shopping trolley here is pretty much identical to what I get back home, though somewhat cheaper. So I don't long for any of the little luxuries from Ireland. Beer/wine/spirits are also readily available, with a pint in my local actually being cheaper than Dublin at 4.80 Euro. Still doesn't make sense to me.

In terms of quality of life, it most definitely is better than back home. Little things like getting up to a blue sky every single morning (well, apart from about the 5 days a year it rains) really does make a difference. I'm usually in the pool by 6:10am, at my desk by 7:30am and home from work at 4:00pm, leaving plenty of family time in the evening.

Of course there are challenges living and working in a Muslim country, but nothing near what you might expect - the locals are extremely good to us in so many ways and very friendly. I have been able to do a number of things here that I would simply not have been able had I not made the move from Ireland, including self-funding my PhD, getting the educational institute I work in on the international map, and exploring some potential business opportunities that I would never have seen myself doing in Ireland.

There are pros and cons of living abroad. Thankfully, right now, the pros are outweighing the cons.

So what stuff makes ye homesick, and what sort of stuff can you avail of there that you couldn't get back home?

E.g. I've got a housekeeper who comes every weekend and cleans up. Didn't need her, but after I got her I've turned into a lazy sod.
    Can afford to take a lot of extra education here (just started a second degree by distance, and got Cambridge awards previously).
    Can go out for dinner a few nights of the week.

Stuff that makes me homesick: Watching the RTE news, Love/Hate (which is mad, because it's all about chavs), reading Boards...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

What I like:

Quality of Life
    Nice weather in the Summer
    People don't begrudge your success
    Great Healthcare
    Great Public transport, haven't needed a car in 15 years
    Great beer selection
    Being able to go out for the night, have a meal, drinks and entertainment for less than €30.
    Everything does not revolve around the pub
    Pubs are open all day/night if you want
    Turkish kebaps
    North Sea, Copenhagen and Amsterdam are only a short trip away
    Dublin is only 90 mins away

What I lack/miss:
    Honestly can't think of much, playing GAA would be the only thing but I would be too old now anyway.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Been living in Malta for just over 19 months now and can honestly say my life is much better off here. Losing my job in Dublin was one of the best things to happen to me.

One of the best things here is the summer. It goes on for months. From May through till the end of September which means we can do everything outdoors. BBQ, snorkel, dive, swim in our pool, walk the dogs in the evening. Even little things like hanging clothes out to dry and not having to worry about rain for 5 months of the year.

I've never once been homesick. Not sure why but since leaving Ireland I've kind of grown a small hatred for the place. Where I live there is no crime. Literally none. Nothing. It's the safest place I've know. No matter what time of day or where we go there is never an issue of being unsafe. It's hard to explain but it's one of the best feelings being here. Never really thought too much about it tbh. Just figured everywhere was like Dublin in some ways with crime. Not here though.

Having said all that, there is a few things I miss back home. 24 hour shops, knowing where everything is :pac:, not being looked at as a tourist. Galtee rashers and sausages though top the list. Along with black and white pudding!

I have a friend who lives in Malta, married to some Danish girl now, I think. He said, last time I was talking to him, that Malta was great. Lots to do, relaxed atmos, nice people. Said he couldn't face going back to Dublin again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Where I live there is no crime. Literally none. Nothing. It's the safest place I've know. No matter what time of day or where we go there is never an issue of being unsafe. It's hard to explain but it's one of the best feelings being here. Never really thought too much about it tbh. Just figured everywhere was like Dublin in some ways with crime. Not here though.

Actually, crime, that's another plus of living here. This is an example I always give of how safe it is here:

Every morning, I drop in to my local Costa Coffee for the morning caffeine fix. Because petrol is so cheap here, and because it is so hot here, it makes sense to leave the engine running in the car and the air conditioning on. Not only that, but I can also leave my iPhone on the seat, along with the laptop bag, never once for a moment in fear of any of it being stolen.

And no, they don't chop of hands or anything like that for crime here, it's just a mutual respect for other people's property that is so sadly lacking in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Actually, crime, that's another plus of living here. This is an example I always give of how safe it is here:

Every morning, I drop in to my local Costa Coffee for the morning caffeine fix. Because petrol is so cheap here, and because it is so hot here, it makes sense to leave the engine running in the car and the air conditioning on. Not only that, but I can also leave my iPhone on the seat, along with the laptop bag, never once for a moment in fear of any of it being stolen.

And no, they don't chop of hands or anything like that for crime here, it's just a mutual respect for other people's property that is so sadly lacking in Ireland.

That's something I've taken for granted here as well. There are no scumbags hanging around giving people hassle or trying to bum a cigarette. People leave their convertibles down when they park, no fear of damage or theft. We have a city bike scheme and the bikes don't get stolen or damaged, public transport is respected and you rarely ever see anyone getting caught without a ticket, all around it's just mainly a nice atmosphere. There has been an uptake in Roma gypsys annoying people during the Summer, but they seem to have disappeared again in the last few weeks.

Stuff that makes me homesick: Watching the RTE news, Love/Hate (which is mad, because it's all about chavs), reading Boards...

Grab Chrome and Install the Hola Unlocker plugin
    https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/hola-unblocker/gkojfkhlekighikafcpjkiklfbnlmeio?hl=en

Then stick on the RTE Script from this page:
    https://www.facebook.com/notes/hola-unblocker-scripts/the-great-wall-of-hscripts/260403304101835

Voila .. RTE player

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

Tom Dunne wrote: »

Where are you living Tom if you dont mind me asking? It sounds nice.
    Im mad to get out of here but dont have a language. I work in i.t, have a few years exp and my degree if that counts for anything. I have often thought about germany too but i have no german!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Going back to uni for a year in a few weeks, and mad to get out of here for a few years. I have French, Italian, and will have basic Spanish. Pity all 3 countries are as bad as Ireland!

Muchas gracias, senor :D

But don't worry, the RTE player still works in China... but Facebook doesn't. Had a proxy server service for a while, but I really don't miss Facebook, so I gave it up. Youtube on the other hand... I miss that...

• Registered Users Posts: 25 My_Sharona

But don't worry, the RTE player still works in China... but Facebook doesn't. Had a proxy server service for a while, but I really don't miss Facebook, so I gave it up. Youtube on the other hand... I miss that...

Youku is the Chinese version of YouTube - it has a lot of the same videos.

RTE Player works everywhere ... its just theres more stuff on it when you have an Irish IP Address :)

My_Sharona wrote: »
    Youku is the Chinese version of YouTube - it has a lot of the same videos.

And Tudou, and Sina.... if you can get past all the ads :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭fits

Living in Finland. Super quality of life. Great job, great working conditions. Nice apartment which is affordable. Walk to work, bike to other office. Don't need a car. Childcare and education here is top class if you were thinking that way. Everything is just really well organised and set up.

I miss the people at home, and horses and will probably return but it aint bad here at all.

• Advertisement

So what happens in the future? Are you all waiting for a specified or specific time to return home, or are you out of Ireland for good?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

So what happens in the future? Are you all waiting for a specified or specific time to return home, or are you out of Ireland for good?

Personally, I'm done with Ireland. There's nothing back home that's better than here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

I've been out of Ireland close on 7 years now, really don't miss it at all. I originally moved for love, but have now left what was my "new" home in Spain for our own "new home" in the US for career reasons.

Quality of life in Spain was so-so, I worked, my gf->wife studied and worked a bit. We were able to survive pretty well (lucked out in our living situation in Barcelona) but we could never get our savings above a certain level. Here we both work and can live and save, which makes us both happier.

The US is great for a number of reasons, bad for a few but fundamentally we are better off here culturally and career wise than we would have been if we had moved "back" to Ireland.

As for stuff that we want? well lyons gold blend is in at least 3 shops around our house, as are other things that I could want every so often. My wife goes to a spanish deli to get everything she needs (has an obsession with Colacao) as well as spices etc to make a paella on the rare warm and sunny days.

...but we could never get our savings above a certain level. Here we both work and can live and save, which makes us both happier.

You know what, Iusedtoknow, you've hit the nail on the head there in a certain way. Savings. It was impossible for me to do in Ireland [Dublin], but over here is easier. I don't go out any less, and still consume a fair whack of my disposable income, but I seem to be able to save easier.

What's your secret?

You know what, Iusedtoknow, you've hit the nail on the head there in a certain way. Savings. It was impossible for me to do in Ireland [Dublin], but over here is easier. I don't go out any less, and still consume a fair whack of my disposable income, but I seem to be able to save easier.

What's your secret?

Costs...aside from rent, life is pretty cheap and the salary pretty high. If we just looked after the basics of life (with no pissing around money) we'd still be able to save. With my wife's salary we are able to tuck away a good bit and still live a good life.

Costs...aside from rent, life is pretty cheap and the salary pretty high. If we just looked after the basics of life (with no pissing around money) we'd still be able to save. With my wife's salary we are able to tuck away a good bit and still live a good life.

May I ask what yourself and your wife work at?

She is doing her residency in Internal Medicine at a hospital here in San Francisco

She is doing her residency in Internal Medicine at a hospital here in San Francisco

Nice, bit of cash floating around there.

My wife and I are mixed - I'm a professor and my wife is a nurse. She doesn't earn nearly as much as me but I force her to save as much as she can. Sadly, China is overtaken with an internet shopping phenomenon...

Nice, bit of cash floating around there.

My wife and I are mixed - I'm a professor and my wife is a nurse. She doesn't earn nearly as much as me but I force her to save as much as she can. Sadly, China is overtaken with an internet shopping phenomenon...

HA! She had to pay a crap load of cash to get her medical transcripts over here and then take an expensive exam to get into the residency program and her license.

Her hourly rate is crap when you account for the fact that she often works unpaid to fill in the holes for patient care, also they get no night pay.
    Not that she minds, she's committed and loves her job and what she's learning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭denhaagenite

It's mostly family and food that I miss, however with us all being a bit scattered in terms of geography I am aware that I probably have a rose- tinted view of the reality should we live in Ireland. I also miss the countryside and the beaches. We're not going to rule out moving anywhere else in the future, as we have ended up in Eindhoven by accident after all, but I doubt it will be Ireland.

The thing I love the most about being away is the genuine sense of community that we feel here. It is something that I always wanted and strived for in Ireland, but could never achieve. When I'm in Ireland, it always strikes me as being something that is talked about but never realised. In my experience, alot of people are out for themselves and that families and communities are not really important to the majority, even though they claim that this is the case. When we left, it was "out of sight, out of mind" for alot of people we know at home. If we don't manage to get to everyone when we're in Ireland, some can get very bitter even though they've made no effort to get to us, in Ireland or God forbid they should have to come to NL.

Advertisement