Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your quality of life

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

zweton wrote: »
    Where are you living Tom if you dont mind me asking? It sounds nice.
    Im mad to get out of here but dont have a language. I work in i.t, have a few years exp and my degree if that counts for anything. I have often thought about germany too but i have no german!

I'm in Bahrain.

However, the IT market is very different here. Basically my advice would be to forget about it.

My background is Oracle databases and I recently was told about a DBA job that would command a fairly decent salary in Ireland, but paid 12,000 Euro, yes 12000 Euro, a year here. You are "competing" with cheap Asian labour that would work for that amount.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Caonima

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    You are "competing" with cheap Asian labour that would work for that amount.

For the time being, yep. Rough going.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭scobysnacks

How is the job situation in the Netherlands at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭baker59

I live in Paris.
    Before I start what may come off as a rant about how bad it is here, I want to say it is a cracking city and I'm loving living here.

Working as a IT developer. Initially came for love. Was also an easy decision as I wasn't up to much back home.
    I slightly envy some of the posts I've read on this thread.
    Paris isn't cheaper,
    accommadation cost is ridiculous for what you get for your money,
    pints can range from e5-e8 unless you know somewhere. Granted best I've seen is e2.80 for Carling from 5pm-12am which isn't bad.
    wages are about the same,
    Dublin is safer... a lot safer sometimes,
    I'm not fluent in French but I know that's my problem/fault,
    miss family & friends definitely although I text at least a few friends/family each day.
    Miss hot chicken rolls..... proper cuisine de France :p
    Missed RTE sports analysis but that has been aided by an earlier post (thank you sir)
    Do get homesick but then I think that some people I know are on the other side of the world so I'm lucky I'm close to home.
    I miss English speaker's humour sometimes.
    I have a 2 hour lunch break, it's ridiculous. Can't shorten it and go home earlier.
    I miss easy administration. Got my social security number after a year and a half. There are other stuff I need to get (health card for example) which to most expats are seen as the unreachable.
    Love the rugby culture here (although in Southern France it is even better)

And in case any of you were wondering, most Parisians are lovely, just don't get in their way during rush hour. Rush hour is horrible here.
    People from outside of Paris are even nicer.

baker59 wrote: »
    Rush hour is horrible here.

I hear that. Here, too.
    Dublin is safer... a lot safer sometimes

I've heard this said about Paris. Can you give some examples?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭con1421

Living in New Jersey since May. Standard of living is good. Good job/money/house/hot weather
    I do miss the Dublin banter specially town on a Friday night. Just the bus journey into town

But don't miss too much as I'm settled over here now.I do miss Supermax :-p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

pints can range from e5-e8 unless you know somewhere. Granted best I've seen is e2.80 for Carling from 5pm-12am which isn't bad.
    wages are about the same,

I miss easy administration. Got my social security number after a year and a half. There are other stuff I need to get (health card for example) which to most expats are seen as the unreachable.

Why drink pints? I eventually followed suit in Spain and drank their volumes (caña etc)...it worked out cheaper. The only time i drank pints was if i was watching a match in the irish pub. Otherwise I was in Spanish bars drinking Spanish volumes.

As for admin...spain was the same, you always needed triplicate of everything, and usually the one paper you needed was the one you didn't have :)

con1421 wrote: »
    Living in New Jersey since May. Standard of living is good. Good job/money/house/hot weather
    I do miss the Dublin banter specially town on a Friday night. Just the bus journey into town

But don't miss too much as I'm settled over here now.I do miss Supermax :-p

Good lord, I lived in NJ before, kinda halfway between NYC and Philadelphia/Trenton. You'd think that was good, but Jersey itself is so boring.

What do you do there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Would be interested to hear from someone living in France, but not in Paris, or Milan or Turin to see what their experiences are.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭baker59

Caonima wrote: »
    I've heard this said about Paris. Can you give some examples?
    It's mostly small theft.
    I've been robbed once but it was slightly my niavity. Got drunk and fell asleep on public transport. I've seen that almost happen to a French guy on a nightbus until he realised a few other people were watching him.

A friend has been robbed 3 times and another twice. 4 out of 5 of those occasions were at night. 1 out of 5 was because drink made them vunerable and 2 involved receiving punches by more than one person.

I've had a hand in my pocket, and only realised it was there when he removed it, luckily there was nothing in the pocket.
    Twice I've seen people pull knives, thankfully not used.
    Out in Bastille one night, my girlfriend was a few paces ahead of me while I was texting, a creep came up and starting annoying her because she was on her own. When I eventually noticed and he saw me just being there, he walked away.
    I'm 6'3, I'm fine but girls can have an awful time depending on where they are or where they live, especially blond girls. My girlfriend's sister had to go home straight away after work because if she went for after work drinks or dinner and went home later with her laptop, she'd feel very unsafe. She didn't live in the nicest area.

In general there is a bad tense atmosphere in some areas and some metro lines. There is a racial issue also which increases that atmosphere. Some people would say it's the cause.

In Dublin, you would be unfortunate to get a dig but that's it. I think it's the atmosphere in the city (not the suburbs) that can seem intimidating to some people here.

Anyway, I'm sure there are worse cities, Paris isn't too bad, but Dublin is safer.
    Why drink pints? I eventually followed suit in Spain and drank their volumes (caña etc)...it worked out cheaper.
    Most places here, the pints are cheaper than 2 halves. If it's the same price, I'll go for 2 halves if it's a hot day or if I couldn't be bothered with a pint of crap beer.

Speaking of beers..... one thing I miss from home.... the concept of rounds :)

• Advertisement

It's mostly small theft.
    I've been robbed once but it was slightly my niavity. Got drunk and fell asleep on public transport. I've seen that almost happen to a French guy on a nightbus until he realised a few other people were watching him.

A friend has been robbed 3 times and another twice. 4 out of 5 of those occasions were at night. 1 out of 5 was because drink made them vunerable and 2 involved receiving punches by more than one person.

I've had a hand in my pocket, and only realised it was there when he removed it, luckily there was nothing in the pocket.
    Out in Bastille one night, my girlfriend was a few paces ahead of me while I was texting, a creep came up and starting annoying her because she was on her own. When I eventually noticed and he saw me just being there, he walked away.
    I'm 6'3, I'm fine but girls can have an awful time depending on where they are or where they live, especially blond girls. My girlfriend's sister had to go home straight away after work because if she went for after work drinks or dinner and went home later with her laptop, she'd feel very unsafe. She didn't live in the nicest area.

In general there is a bad tense atmosphere in some areas and some metro lines. There is a racial issue also which increases that atmosphere. Some people would say it's the cause.

In Dublin, you would be unfortunate to get a dig but that's it. I think it's the atmosphere in the city (not the suburbs) that can seem intimidating to some people here.

Anyway, I'm sure there are worse cities, Paris isn't too bad, but Dublin is safer.

Most places here, the pints are cheaper than 2 halves. If it's the same price, I'll go for 2 halves if it's a hot day or if I couldn't be bothered with a pint of crap beer.

Knives and racial tension.... great combination.

Yeah, people in Dublin don't really have too much to argue about - like you said, the most you'd get in Dublin is a dig, but most skangs are built like sticks so they're hardly formidable.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭scruff321

It's mostly small theft.

Amen brother!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Edinburgh

There's very little difference between here and home really:

Bad
    Guinness is awful
    Castle gets in the way of travel time ;-)
    Fringe festival every August brings the lazy tourists
    Aer Lingus / Aer Aerann monopoly on the route to Cork

Good
    Golf courses are abundant in the city and Midlothian regions, just over an hour drive to Gleneagles and St Andrews
    The people are great, really friendly and welcoming
    Great choice of beer in pubs (freehold), Cask Ales and Whiskey never stuck for choice
    Rent is cheaper
    Lots of Irish over here (students and professionals) so you never go that long without
    hearing an accent.
    6Nations in Murrayfield, especially vs England
    Great buzz in August for the fringe and December for the Xmas market
    Great public transport
    The Castle!!
    Plenty of work

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭weisses

It's mostly family and food that I miss, however with us all being a bit scattered in terms of geography I am aware that I probably have a rose- tinted view of the reality should we live in Ireland. I also miss the countryside and the beaches. We're not going to rule out moving anywhere else in the future, as we have ended up in Eindhoven by accident after all, but I doubt it will be Ireland.

The thing I love the most about being away is the genuine sense of community that we feel here. It is something that I always wanted and strived for in Ireland, but could never achieve. When I'm in Ireland, it always strikes me as being something that is talked about but never realised. In my experience, alot of people are out for themselves and that families and communities are not really important to the majority, even though they claim that this is the case. When we left, it was "out of sight, out of mind" for alot of people we know at home. If we don't manage to get to everyone when we're in Ireland, some can get very bitter even though they've made no effort to get to us, in Ireland or God forbid they should have to come to NL.

I could have typed exactly what you posted ....Except we moved from The Netherlands to Ireland, and never missed The netherlands ...funny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭haveabanana

Anyone in Brussels? I'm moving there next week and would be curious to see how people find it as a place to live.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭denhaagenite

weisses wrote: »
    I could have typed exactly what you posted ....Except we moved from The Netherlands to Ireland, and never missed The netherlands ...funny

Lol, have to say I am very partial to chocolade kruidenoten, oliebollen and warme wijn. It's mostly all the mayonnaise and derivatives of mayonnaise I can't take!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭BKtje

Don't know why I never saw this thread! Really interesting to see others opinions and experiences.

Thought I'd add my experiences on living in Switzerland. I do miss things from Ireland (Minstrels, bacon etc), my family and friends but I can't see myself ever leaving without a very good reason (not finding work being the main one).

The Good
    Wages. They are high. Working part time in a bar while finishing my studies I currently make about 21chf (17 euro)an hour AFTER tax and other deductions.

A decent entry level (bachelor) wage is about 60k CHF (48k Euro) a year with most on about 80Kchf after a few years with it pretty much topping out at 120k a year unless you're very sought after. Many Swiss do apprenticeships which will earn you 4kchf a month and up once completed.
    Poverty (for a single male) is generally considered to be earning below 2100chf (1,700 euro) a month!

Plenty to do. Just an unbelievably beautiful country. Hiking, mountain biking, motorbiking, lakes, rivers etc during the summer and skiing during the winter.

Centre of Europe. 2 hours ish by car for me to get to Germany, Italy, France, Austria, Lichtenstein.

Public transport. While being very expensive it runs pretty much like clockwork (they will hold a departing bus if a train is a few minutes late allowing you to catch your connection). Trains rarely more than a minute behind schedule though it's getting ever so slightly worse. City buses generally arrive on the dot.

Road network. Top notch. Motorways everywhere but even the smaller national or regional roads are in perfect condition.

General goods are only slightly more expensive than in Ireland (groceries, petrol etc) however luxury goods generally are more expensive. Electronics being the exception being relatively cheap.

Alcohol. Alcohol is only slightly more expensive than Ireland. In my city its between 5 and 8chf a pint (4-6 euro) however in Geneva or Zurich you'll be paying closer to 10chf. Great selection of European bottled beer though you'll pay for the privilege. (8chf+)

Cities are very clean, the whole country is for the most part. You'd be surprised to see things blowing about in the wind and cans or any rubbish lying around is quickly cleaned up by the authorities. Though cigarette buts are the exception. People will pick up litter and put it in a bin then throw their fag ends on the ground. I still can't get my head around it!

Crime. The bigger cities have the EU average I think but in my small city it's alright. You still have to be careful with your stuff, don't leave it lying around in a bar (amazing how many people do anyway!) but that's it for the most part. It's on the rise though and mostly blamed on those pesky foreigners (eastern European mainly). Whether this is accurate or not I don't know.

School system is extremely cheap. University fees are about 800chf (650 euro) per year I think. Foreigners pay only about 50chf per year more than locals.

Festivals. There are large festivals like in any country but there are a tonne of smaller ones which are very cheap to attend. In Fribourg there is a Jazz festival every year in the central square with entry being about a fiver or a tenner (or free before 6pm). There are also highland games, smaller music festivals and food festivals etc. Every village seems to have their own!

The Bad
    Meat. All meat is incredibly expensive, especially beef! :mad: I guess they used the majority of their cows for milk ;)

Bureaucracy. So much bloody paperwork but it's all very efficient when you have all your papers in order ;)

Health insurance costs. They are astronomical, probably why wages are so high as well. As a thirty year old on the absolute most basic package I pay over 2100chf a year. This is mandatory, though for low income people there are government subsidies.

Opening hours. Most bars will close at 3am with late licences (number restricted) closing at about 6am. However all shops close early. 7pm mon-fri (with in my canton late night shopping till 9 on thursdays) and 4pm on saturdays. Shops closed sundays. Shops in the train stations generally outside the law ( ;)) and close at 10pm and open sundays.
    Most restaurants must close 2 days per week with many closing on the same bloody days (sun+mon).

The people. The people (Swiss Germans) are quite reserved and may seem a little cold (to start with) but once you are "accepted" they can be incredibly generous and warm. The French and Italian Swiss are often much quicker to accept you but almost two thirds of the country are Swiss German (I think).

The languages. There are three (well 4 but the 4th is like Irish) so if you switch city you may suddenly find yourself unable to communicate. Many Swiss learn English as a second/third language to enable them to communicate with their fellow countrymen from a different area. :cool:

Foreigners. (! :D). 25% of the population are foreigners so it's a real melting pot of cultures and the all the associated problems this brings. (Though children born to foreigners in Switzerland are still considered foreign, ignoring this I think the "true" foreign population is about 12%.)

The Ugly
    The Swiss can be incredibly racist and small minded at times, especially towards Arabs, Africans and Eastern Europeans. Probably due to the very different cultures.

I'm sure I've missed out an absolute tonne of stuff but I guess you guys get the idea. If you're interested to learn more I'd highly recommend the book "Swiss Watching" written by an Englishman. Very informative and entertaining.

Any questions then feel free to ask :)

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭sinead88

razorblunt wrote: »
    Edinburgh

There's very little difference between here and home really:

Bad
    Guinness is awful
    Castle gets in the way of travel time ;-)
    Fringe festival every August brings the lazy tourists
    Aer Lingus / Aer Aerann monopoly on the route to Cork

Good
    Golf courses are abundant in the city and Midlothian regions, just over an hour drive to Gleneagles and St Andrews
    The people are great, really friendly and welcoming
    Great choice of beer in pubs (freehold), Cask Ales and Whiskey never stuck for choice
    Rent is cheaper
    Lots of Irish over here (students and professionals) so you never go that long without
    hearing an accent.
    6Nations in Murrayfield, especially vs England
    Great buzz in August for the fringe and December for the Xmas market
    Great public transport
    The Castle!!
    Plenty of work

I live in Edinburgh too and I'd agree with all of this. I think the cost of living in general here is a bit cheaper than Ireland. Although the tourists in August are incredibly annoying, I'd say the benefits of the Fringe far outweigh the negatives.It's an absolutely beautiful city as well. Scottish people genuinely seem to love the Irish. I have people trying to imitate my accent almost every day, in a very friendly sort of way though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

Moved to SF 1 year ago for work on L1a visa

The Good
    The city: San Francisco is small, but perfectly formed. there is a lot going on pretty much everywhere, each area has its own personality and vibe.

The people: very easy going and liberal, people tend to live and let live. Easy to get on with, and very international. No one ever comments on my accent as it's just one of many that people live come across every day

The variety of food: Within 10 minutes walk of home I can get great Japanese, Chinese, vietnamese, korean, mexican, peruvian and persian. Not to mention great burgers and sandwiches

The surrounding area: 15 minutes north is the goldengate bridge and every Marin county. Napa is an hour and a bit away, Route 1 is not far - Tahoe and skiing is a 4 hour drive

The Bad:
    Homelessness:a lot of homeless people and people with mental issues living rough, not getting the help they need

costs: my rent is more than I used to earn in Europe. Good quality organic meat is pretty expensive.

It's a long way from Ireland if I need to get back quickly

The ugly

Healthcare, even though it's subsidized by my company is still 2400 a year. 2400 more than I used to pay in Ireland and Spain. It's good to have, but i hate paying for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 mannika

Thought i'd give my two cents....

Living in Dubai for the last few years,

The Good;
    My salary is twice what it would be at home but my job doesn't exist there anymore (saying that my direct boss earns over twice what i do) tax free
    There is a great expat community
    Its a lot more liberal than people think.
    It costs 18e to fill my car.
    Friday all you can eat and drink brunches!
    Weather in winter is fantastic
    Great restaurants - best indian
    Being able to save and have a life
    More cultural than people expect and working hard to create awareness
    Great career opportunities
    Closer to home than Aus
    Cheaper car insurance and healthcare provided by work

The bad;
    Rent is paid bi -annually or annually with post dated cheques, coming up with 6months rent, plus deposits is a nightmare.
    Rents are heading back up 2008 levels while salaries are not.
    Driving here is stressful, no one has respect for other road users and it makes even the calmest person aggressive
    Its not green...
    Summer is like in forced confinement indoors 45*+ outside
    Can be hard to make friends and when you do they leave... residents cannot naturalise so most people are here for short term gains
    No lennox's for chips...
    Saying yes when they mean No!!
    Road works and new building projects that never end
    Expensive hub, more expensive for a return dubai-dublin-dubai than vv, expensive to fly anywhere but Qatar!
    45 calenders maternity leave...
    Miss family and friends...

The ugly
    The inequality...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭dissed doc

BKtje wrote: »

Health insurance costs. They are astronomical, probably why wages are so high as well. As a thirty year old on the absolute most basic package I pay over 2100chf a year. This is mandatory, though for low income people there are government subsidies.

INteresting that you think that is astronomical, and someone else said about paying US$2400 a year. THta is actually completely normal everywhere except Ireland. Most people on regular incomes in most western countries pay that amount. In the Netherlands it is aroound €1200-1500/year (from net income, there is another payment on top of that from groos income that is income related). IN Germany if you earn under ~€50k it is 15.5% of your income (employer might pay half and then after tax it around €2k); over the 50k threshold you can buy perhaps cheaper private insurance.

Ireland's healthcare costs are really paid for by people on 50-60k+/year. People on average industrial wage get pretty much a free ride. Sorry it's OT but the comments on the "high" costs of health insurance stood out a lot. Thanks for the other insights.

(I don't think these normal healthcare costs are a reason why salaries in Switzerland are high, seeing as very similar costs are charged everywhere else (e.g., UK with NI on UK£3500/month gross is around £300/month) without comparable salaries.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,286 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

dissed doc wrote: »
    INteresting that you think that is astronomical, and someone else said about paying US$2400 a year. THta is actually completely normal everywhere except Ireland.

Actually it sounds way too low! I expect it is a minimal policy, with a high deductible (say 2k or more) for a relatively young person... About the same has having health insurance in Ireland.

For a middle aged man, with a deductible of about 1.5k in a public ward, you would expect to pay about 3.5k to 4k and at say 1.5k to 2k for a private room.

Hanoi..

The good:
    My girlfriend and likely, my future wife.
    Lovely city with lots of small streets.
    Streets usually sell a certain product. "Want to buy knitting needles?" " Go to knitting needle street."
    Generally really nice expats who tend to have got stuck here while on travels.
    Older expats who are again, really cool.
    Cheap as fuk.
    Ridiculous salary for teachers.
    Easy access to western stuff which is quite pointless cause Vietnamese food etc. is very good.
    Live and do what you want.
    Little culture of ripping off foreigners.
    Exceptional quality of life if earning a western wage. Possibly the biggest hurdle I'd have if I left.
    Rampant corruption. Sometimes it's so useful.

The bad:
    Rampant corruption. Sometimes it all makes no sense.
    Traffic.
    A lot of small crashes.
    Jobs have zero benefits.
    Employers don't give a toss.
    Pollution.
    Cold in winter.
    Vietnamese people are, for the large part, from a western point of view, completely shortsighted and their decisions don't make any real sense. That's not racism.. It's just a fact that any long term expat has to deal with. It doesn't really annoy me but the entire country has a terrible mindset that inhibits development.
    Not a transport hub like Bangkok or even Ho Chi Minh.
    Slowly getting noticeably more expensive.
    Police raid bars constantly.

The ugly:
    A lot of expats die on motorbikes.
    A lot of expats freak out and can't deal with the city.
    A lot of expats become alcoholics.

Still my favourite place in the world.. It doesn't have a big nightlife scene which suits me fine. I start my nights out early and get home early. There are cool places to go but I generally stick to bia hoi and my favourite bar where I play a lot of high quality pool.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Chronically Bad Farts

I lived and worked in the Netherlands and really enjoyed my time there.

Pros:
    -Extremely friendly & open people. I couldn't get over this, almost everyone wanted to be your friend. Casual conversations with randomers would frequently get you invited to parties/dinners/events.

-Outstanding public transport. The trains can get you anywhere in Holland quickly & are always on time.

-Great nightlife & variety of music.
    Clubs stay open all night.
    Lots of events on.
    Large variety of tasty Belgian beers.
    Rare to see fights on nights out.

-Very little traffic due to the fact that everyone cycles! I loved this, the roads are very bike friendly. In fact I think owning a car here would be a hindrance.

-If you're into smoking weed, this place is heaven.

Cons:

-Rip off! Everything here is expensive. Around 5-10% dearer than Dublin. Especially clothes.

-Weather can be a bit like back home, plenty of rain, although the summers are a good bit warmer on average.

-I found the local food to be quite bad. They're big into their processed pork here. Everything is centered around pork sausages/minced pork - it gets old fast. Food in Amsterdam was obviously good to accommodate all the tourists, but rest of Dutch food was pure muck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

mannika wrote: »
    Thought i'd give my two cents....

Living in Dubai for the last few years,

The Good;
    My salary is twice what it would be at home but my job doesn't exist there anymore (saying that my direct boss earns over twice what i do) tax free
    There is a great expat community
    Its a lot more liberal than people think.
    It costs 18e to fill my car.
    Friday all you can eat and drink brunches!
    Weather in winter is fantastic
    Great restaurants - best indian
    Being able to save and have a life
    More cultural than people expect and working hard to create awareness
    Great career opportunities
    Closer to home than Aus
    Cheaper car insurance and healthcare provided by work

The bad;
    Rent is paid bi -annually or annually with post dated cheques, coming up with 6months rent, plus deposits is a nightmare.
    Rents are heading back up 2008 levels while salaries are not.
    Driving here is stressful, no one has respect for other road users and it makes even the calmest person aggressive
    Its not green...
    Summer is like in forced confinement indoors 45*+ outside
    Can be hard to make friends and when you do they leave... residents cannot naturalise so most people are here for short term gains
    No lennox's for chips...
    Saying yes when they mean No!!
    Road works and new building projects that never end
    Expensive hub, more expensive for a return dubai-dublin-dubai than vv, expensive to fly anywhere but Qatar!
    45 calenders maternity leave...
    Miss family and friends...

The ugly
    The inequality...

It seems like a lot of the good points are negated by a bad one.

Winter fantastic v summer like forced confinement.

Pay is good v rent is a nightmare.

Great ex-pat community v hard to make friends.

18e to fill your car v driving is stressful.

More liberal / more culture v the inequality.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 cherrybb

very interesting and insightful .

how would you compare Paris/London to Dublin?

I used to live in Paris and London while at university , now I am moving to Dublin to work in finance , the pay is good ,i would have gotten the equivalent salary in London for a junior like me. The reason why I am moving to Dublin is the international experience.

What bothers me is that I keep reading how dangerous is Dublin. Coming from London/Paris, despite living in the best area of those cities I have always kept my eyes open when coming back from clubbing lets say. How safe is Dublin in comparison? I keep reading about all those junkies and methadone clinics lol. Either the people writing those stuff havent lived outside Ireland or it is really that bad?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭haveabanana

Dublin isn't exceptionally dangerous at all, I've never had a problem up there. I couldn't compare it to London or Paris but I'm in Brussels atm and I would definately say it's rougher than Dublin in spots. There's lots of junkies in Dublin yeah, but they're harmless enough for the most part. Of course ther's rough areas and you'd have to watch yourself especially late at night, but I wouldn't imagine it's much different from any other major city in that regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

cherrybb wrote: »
    very interesting and insightful .

how would you compare Paris/London to Dublin?

I used to live in Paris and London while at university , now I am moving to Dublin to work in finance , the pay is good ,i would have gotten the equivalent salary in London for a junior like me. The reason why I am moving to Dublin is the international experience.

What bothers me is that I keep reading how dangerous is Dublin. Coming from London/Paris, despite living in the best area of those cities I have always kept my eyes open when coming back from clubbing lets say. How safe is Dublin in comparison? I keep reading about all those junkies and methadone clinics lol. Either the people writing those stuff havent lived outside Ireland or it is really that bad?

Dublin's very safe. I'm in the "bad" areas of the city centre everyday, and never had any problems. As you said yourself, you may see a few junkies wandering around the city centre. This is what gives Dublin a bad reputation, but trust me, it's people that aren't from here who tend to make the assumption that it's dangerous because they look rough. They keep themselves to themselves, and I've never once seen them even say boo to an innocent bystander. Genuinely, it's almost as if the general public are invisible to them. You may hear them shouting or fighting regularly, but it's just amongst themselves. They really do keep themselves to themselves, but in saying that, I wouldn't go and strike up a conversation with one of them. And they tend to only be in the one area. And hopefully I haven't gone and jinxed myself and have a run in with them tomorrow ha. You'll have your general crime like in any city, but I think it's one of the lowest in Europe.

I'm sure anyone from the city centre will back me up on what I just said. It's people that aren't from the city who tend to spread the image that it's dangerous after seeing the junkies, while never actually seeing or experiencing the slightest bit of hassle from them themselves. And this is coming from someone who has to walk by them several times a day, every day. Trust me, Dublin's a lot safer than London or Paris and you've absolutely nothing to be worried about in this regard

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Dublin's very safe. I'm in the "bad" areas of the city centre everyday, and never had any problems. As you said yourself, you may see a few junkies wandering around the city centre. This is what gives Dublin a bad reputation, but trust me, it's people that aren't from here who tend to make the assumption that it's dangerous because they look rough. They keep themselves to themselves, and I've never once seen them even say boo to an innocent bystander. Genuinely, it's almost as if the general public are invisible to them. You may hear them shouting or fighting regularly, but it's just amongst themselves. They really do keep themselves to themselves, but in saying that, I wouldn't go and strike up a conversation with one of them. And they tend to only be in the one area. And hopefully I haven't gone and jinxed myself and have a run in with them tomorrow ha. You'll have your general crime like in any city, but I think it's one of the lowest in Europe.

I'm sure anyone from the city centre will back me up on what I just said. It's people that aren't from the city who tend to spread the image that it's dangerous after seeing the junkies, while never actually seeing or experiencing the slightest bit of hassle from them themselves. And this is coming from someone who has to walk by them several times a day, every day. Trust me, Dublin's a lot safer than London or Paris and you've absolutely nothing to be worried about in this regard
    people arent spreading an image that is made up. There are FAR too many dodgy characters downtown Dublin milling about.

And theres far from an absence of violent personal crime.
    At the moment theres a spate of thefts of phones out of peoples hands.
    And heres a report of the same crap a couple of years back
    http://www.herald.ie/news/it-was-so-upsetting-to-be-mugged-on-street-28850343.html
    and theres more reports of that, and of other attacks with junkies with syringes if you google about.

From a while back admittedly, but quite valid in forming a view that Dublin has concrete issues with proactive junkies attacking normal folks
    Last year there were more than 2,200 syringe attacks or threatened attacks in the Irish capital - an average of six a day in a city that now has an estimated 8,000 heroin addicts, most of whom must steal to satisfy their daily craving.
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/dublin-muggers-bring-terror-to-the-streets-with-bloodfilled-syringes-1249269.html

So really,
    how am I supposed to differentiate between a harmless junkie and one that is likely to come at me with a syringe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

I lived in the City for some time out by Ringsend, later moved to Blackrock and then Shankill.

TBH Dublin has a lot of problems, the Homeless/wino/junkie/skanger problem is much worse than it was 10 years ago.

Also it didn't really evolve properly due to the boom, with crazy setups of massive housing estates in the middle of nowhere, shopping centers are the same and to top it off no public transport was built to facilitate all that stuff.

The Luas Red line is horrible, so much so people will drive and pay for parking rather than use it.

Cycling around the City is downright dangerous with magic lines painted on roads that are supposedly cycle lanes.

It's not uncommon to have some skangers causing hassle on the top of a double decker buses.

The authorities are more interested in clamping and handing out fines for other traffic violations than dealing with petty theft or violence.

The M50 shouldn't be classified as a motorway, its had roadworks on it for the last 10 years.

Going out to bars seems to be a hit and miss affair with meathead bouncers on doors saying "Sorry bud not tonight" when in another City you would have no problem entering any bar.

In my eyes Dublin is a nice place to visit, living there is grand if you haven't experienced living in another European City.

IMO Cork is much nicer as it doesn't try to pretend to be something that its not.

The Airport for a Capital City has no Train service ? Come on like.

Advertisement