Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where will we finish ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Presumably it is still mathematically possible for city to drop to 6th so tables aren't reflecting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

Not inconceivable that we end up with 70 points again this season?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

I personally can't see Arsenal having less than 75 points come the end of the season. We'd really need City and Everton to beat them, but in doing so Everton will become favourites for 4th.

Can we get 19 points from our remaining 7 fixtures???

I don't think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭gar

It's the hope that kills you

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

gar wrote: »
    It's the hope that kills you

Well then we're grand coz there's no hope :)

• Advertisement

I said it a couple of months ago when we were still in the hunt for top 4 that March is absolutely vital. 6 games in March including the Europa League. 1 win 1 draw and 4 defeats.

That in my opinion has been the killer blow for our season.

We'll finish 7th which will be a good change to not having European football to worry about. Means there'll be more Saturday games so I'll see more games next season!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭DildoFaggins

No Europa league please most pointless and useless competition ever
    go to some ****hole in eastern europe on a thursday night and crap pitches and nice jetlag to go along and your expected to play the saturday at noon **** off.

Look at Newcastle and Liverpool this season compared to last.

irishmover wrote: »
    I said it a couple of months ago when we were still in the hunt for top 4 that March is absolutely vital. 6 games in March including the Europa League. 1 win 1 draw and 4 defeats.

That in my opinion has been the killer blow for our season.

We'll finish 7th which will be a good change to not having European football to worry about. Means there'll be more Saturday games so I'll see more games next season!

Would 7th still possibly put us in Europa if Arsenal win FA cup ?

Does the Europa spot go to the runners up if they are already in CL ?

Or if they finish 5th and are already in Europa does the FA cup spot go to runners up or league ?

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭fabvinny

dont want us to finish in a position that qualifies us for europa league! its a disaster of a competition! look at our results this season after playing on thursday nights!! brutal!
    we have no business even thinking of being in the champions league anytime soon unless enic **** off and we get a big investor!
    something rotten going on at spurs at the moment...

Would 7th still possibly put us in Europa if Arsenal win FA cup ?

Does the Europa spot go to the runners up if they are already in CL ?

Or if they finish 5th and are already in Europa does the FA cup spot go to runners up or league ?

Pretty sure EL goes to runner up in FA cup and not in Capital one cup.

• Advertisement

This is true.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,639 ✭✭✭Glebee

If we cant compete in Europa then surely we just get spanked in Champions league. Were miles behind top four any way so maybe Europa is our level for a European trophy sadly:(

But if the cup winner already had a Europa league spot which one would they not use.

But if the cup winner already had a Europa league spot which one would they not use.

5th spot gets EL.

Carling cup winner gets EL but if they already have European football then it goes to 6th spot.

FA cup gives winner EL. If they already have European spot it goes to runner up. If runner up already has European it goes to 7th spot. I think Arsenal are only team left with European football next season so it won't be going to 7th.

Does that clear it up? Pretty sure that's right anyway.

5th spot gets EL.

Carling cup winner gets EL but if they already have European football then it goes to 6th spot.

FA cup gives winner EL. If they already have European spot it goes to runner up. If runner up already has European it goes to 7th spot. I think Arsenal are only team left with European football next season so it won't be going to 7th.

Does that clear it up? Pretty sure that's right anyway.

Kind of but I think you are missing out on one aspect.

If arsenal were to finish 5th in the league and not take the Europa league spot for 5th place because they are taking the Europa league spot as FA cup winners....

If arsenal were to finish 5th in the league and not take the Europa league spot for 5th place because they are taking the Europa league spot as FA cup winners....

That's a good point. Let's hope Hull win the FA Cup!

That's a good point. Let's hope Hull win the FA Cup!

There may also be a potential scenario where man utd finish in Europa league spot, win the champions league, drop 4th place in premier league to Europa spot instead which again would most likely be Arsenal. Very long shot though !

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

There may also be a potential scenario where man utd finish in Europa league spot, win the champions league, drop 4th place in premier league to Europa spot instead which again would most likely be Arsenal. Very long shot though !

I'd be fairly sure that if United win the CL there'd be 5 English teams in the CL next season.

Kind of but I think you are missing out on one aspect.

.....then the EL spot would go to the runners up.

The way I see it is if we finished 7th we'll have no European football. If we finished 6th (or higher) we will have European football.
    United, Arsenal, the FA nor UEFA can change that, unless of course I am mistaken.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

THFC wrote: »
    I'd be fairly sure that if United win the CL there'd be 5 English teams in the CL next season.

No if they win it 4th in the league will drop out, same as what happened to us when Chelsea finished 6th and won it.

• Advertisement

KingdomYid wrote: »
    No if they win it 4th in the league will drop out, same as what happened to us when Chelsea finished 6th and won it.

I'd be nearly certain that new rules were brought it so that if, for example, United won the CL and finished 6th, UEFA would give them a place in the qualifying stage, rather than the FA giving them their 4th place.
    This means that there would potentially be 5 English teams in the CL were it to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

I'd be nearly certain that new rules were brought it so that if, for example, United won the CL and finished 6th, UEFA would give them a place in the qualifying stage, rather than the FA giving them their 4th place.
    This means that there would potentially be 5 English teams in the CL were it to happen.

This would be typically our luck, the rules were changed when Liverpool did it so it would not happen again and now you are telling me they changed the rule again :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

United winning the Champions League? Hahahaha haha hahaha

Give over, you lads must be reading to many British tabloids!

My money's on Madrid.:cool::cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭same ol sh1te

United winning the Champions League? Hahahaha haha hahaha

Give over, you lads must be reading to many British tabloids!

My money's on Madrid.:cool::cool:

Chelsea won it without playing good football, it's possible

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

Chelsea won it without playing good football, it's possible

Chelsea had the human freak Drogba.

KingdomYid wrote: »
    This would be typically our luck, the rules were changed when Liverpool did it so it would not happen again and now you are telling me they changed the rule again :mad:

Apologies, I'm completely wrong! Don't know why I thought they changed it again!

UEFA Champions League
    The top four teams in the Barclays Premier League qualify for the UEFA Champions League.
    English winners of the UEFA Champions League finishing outside the top four places (but who qualify for the UEFA Europa League through their domestic Barclays Premier League position) go forward as Winners to the group stage along with domestic champions, runners-up and third place.
    No extra domestic place can be gained by winning the UEFA Champions League, therefore the team finishing fourth drops to the UEFA Europa League.
    English winners of the UEFA Champions League who do not qualify through their domestic position go forward as Winners to the group stage, with the team finishing fourth dropping to the UEFA Europa League. In this case, the national association of the title-holder is entitled to one additional place in the UEFA Europa League.

Only 4 places max for the CL, so if United win it in 6th, 4th and 5th gets EL (along with FA Cup winner/runner-up). Once United finish 6th we're nearly guaranteed not to get EL next year.

Apologies for the confusion lads :o

Apologies, I'm completely wrong! Don't know why I thought they changed it again!

UEFA Champions League

Only 4 places max for the CL, so if United win it in 6th, 4th and 5th gets EL (along with FA Cup winner/runner-up). Once United finish 6th we're nearly guaranteed not to get EL next year.

Apologies for the confusion lads :o

I'm yet to see anywhere where it is defined in concrete what happens when a club secures 2 Europa league spots. (The Arsenal FA cup win and finishing 5th or 4th with a Man Utd champions league win) I know the obvious answer is the runner up of the cup gets it but if the cup spot is given the priority in the allocation process then the cup spot is taken by the winner leaving the premier league spot to be passed down.

I'm yet to see anywhere where it is defined in concrete what happens when a club secures 2 Europa league spots. (The Arsenal FA cup win and finishing 5th or 4th with a Man Utd champions league win) I know the obvious answer is the runner up of the cup gets it but if the cup spot is given the priority in the allocation process then the cup spot is taken by the winner leaving the premier league spot to be passed down.
    UEFA Europa League

There are three places in the UEFA Europa League available: the FA Cup winners will enter at the Group Stage; the fifth place team in the Barclays Premier League will enter at the Play-Off stage; and the Football League Cup winners will enter at the Q3 stage.
    In the event the FA Cup winners are qualified for the UEFA Champions League the FA Cup runners-up will qualify, but in the place reserved for the lowest ranking Barclays Premier League representative. The place with direct access to the Group Stage will be given to the club that finishes in the highest position in the Barclays Premier League of the clubs qualifying for the UEFA Europa League.
    English winners of the UEFA Europa League will enter at the Group Stage, gaining an extra domestic place only if they fail to qualify through other means for the UEFA Champions League or UEFA Europa League. If the holders of the UEFA Europa League have already qualified for Europe, no extra domestic place will be gained.
    Should the FA Cup winners, runners-up (if applicable) and the Football League Cup winners already have qualified for Europe, their place goes to the next best placed clubs in the Premier League.

See the bit in bold, I imagine that applies if the team are qualified for the EL also. But as you say, I can't find it anywhere.

But... It dones't feckin matter, we've more chance of finishing 3rd than United do of winning the CL. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

Looks like no Europe for us thankfully

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,760 ✭✭✭abff

See the bit in bold, I imagine that applies if the team are qualified for the EL also. But as you say, I can't find it anywhere.

But... It dones't feckin matter, we've more chance of finishing 3rd than United do of winning the CL. :pac:

I don't think so. If Arsenal finish 5th and win the FA Cup, then they will play in the Europa League and 6th and 7th will also qualify.

Anyway, all irrelevant as we are going to win our last six matches and finish 4th.:cool:

Advertisement