Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where will we finish ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

abff wrote: »
    I don't think so. If Arsenal finish 5th and win the FA Cup, then they will play in the Europa League and 6th and 7th will also qualify.

Anyway, all irrelevant as we are going to win our last six matches and finish 4th.:cool:

But win the FA Cup and finish 5th then their place could go to the runner up (of the FA Cup). It's not stated in black and white but I reckon that's how it is anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

Anyway, all irrelevant as we are going to win our last six matches and finish 4th.:cool:

After Arsenal's recent poor form, I've recalculated my forecasts and think that 72 points will probably be enough to secure 4th.

If we win our remaining 6, we'd be on 74. We don't deserve it, but if the other teams hand it to us, why not take it??

Timmy said a couple of months back that he thought we could afford to lose 3 or 4 games and still get 4th. Everyone thought he was mental.... but he could be proved right!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

After Arsenal's recent poor form,

Are you forgetting Everton?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭same ol sh1te

smcgiff wrote: »

Yeah, I think it's time to sit back and let Everton get 4th spot, they deserve it tbh, last thing we need is for us to attempt 4th and get EL

• Registered Users Posts: 5,760 ✭✭✭abff

THFC wrote: »
    But win the FA Cup and finish 5th then their place could go to the runner up (of the FA Cup). It's not stated in black and white but I reckon that's how it is anyway.

I don't agree. There is a place in the EL available to the winners of the FA Cup. If the team that wins the Cup qualifies for the CL, the runners up get the EL spot. This only applies if the winners qualify for the CL.

• Advertisement

Nope, I'm not forgetting Everton. I was just saying that, I think, 4th place will go to a team with 72 points - regardless of who that team is.

Before Arsenal's poor run of form it looked like they were going to get 4th with about 78-80 points.

I don't agree. There is a place in the EL available to the winners of the FA Cup. If the team that wins the Cup qualifies for the CL, the runners up get the EL spot. This only applies if the winners qualify for the CL.

This is true.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

Yeah, I think it's time to sit back and let Everton get 4th spot, they deserve it tbh, last thing we need is for us to attempt 4th and get EL

Ah come on, are you saying we should not try and win every game we have left? I for one hope we win every game from here on in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Nope, I'm not forgetting Everton. I was just saying that, I think, 4th place will go to a team with 72 points - regardless of who that team is.

Before Arsenal's poor run of form it looked like they were going to get 4th with about 78-80 points.

Everton have won the last 6 games in a row and you are planning on them only getting 8 out of their last 18 points (considering they have a GD that won't be bettered by Spurs).

I know they've City at home and some relegation battlers, but they'll not go from 3 pts per game in the previous 6 to an average of 1.333 per game in their last 6.

KingdomYid wrote: »
    Ah come on, are you saying we should not try and win every game we have left? I for one hope we win every game from here on in.

I would be horrified if we got EL, it's been a curse, wouldn't bother me in the slightest if we drew a game or two

• Advertisement

Everton have won the last 6 games in a row and you are planning on them only getting 8 out of their last 18 points (considering they have a GD that won't be bettered by Spurs).

I know they've City at home and some relegation battlers, but they'll not go from 3 pts per game in the previous 6 to an average of 1.333 per game in their last 6.

Fair point.

I'd actually like to see Everton get it, if not us.

The last few months have been torturous for all of us - I just wanted to get some optimism/hope going.

I really just hope we avoid the Europa.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭fabvinny

Arsenal have a pretty easy "looking" last 5 games,cant see Everton winning all their games but would love to see them nick 4th,coz we wont!!

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Devo from Dublin

Our Dilemma is..

Do we qualify for the Europa League and try and win it?
    The winners qualify for Champions League.
    We will get out of the group no problem..
    Then, last 32, 16, 8, semis and final..
    Thats 9 games to qualify for ECL.

OR

Dont qualify for Europa League and try finish 4th just like how we did it in 2010?

I honestly am caught between a rock and a hardplace.:confused:

Our Dilemma is..

OR

Dont qualify for Europa League and try finish 4th just like how we did it in 2010?

IMO, forget about Europa.

I personally think it would be easier to get Top 4 next season than to win the Europa League.

The Europa League is seen as a hindrance in the England. Plus, without the Europa we can focus on what really matters. The tournament has no redeeming features.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

Our Dilemma is..

OR

Are they giving the EL a badly needed overhaul? Otherwise your maths are way out there. 3 Opponents in the group stage is 6 matches (was there 8 a few seasons ago?). Last 32,16,8,and 4 is another 8 matches plus the final is 15 in total. That is 2 more than the CL which rarely has venues in the outer reaches of the Arctic Circle and isn't played on a Thursday.

Someone posted recenty that the Liverpool game was our 48th game of the season and Liverpool's 37th. It didn't make any difference on the day due to the respective form of the teams (Liverpool, ironically, played a midweek game for a change when Spurs were resting) but those statistics are shocking. Make the EL knockout from game 1 which would make all the games exciting and make it a competition worth winning or else bin it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭DildoFaggins

No please nobody gives a **** about the EL when its on
    the whole music is rubbish the commentators are rubbish its just an awful awful awful competition the prize rewards aren't even good and you have to play an extra round of fixtures and the CL dropouts ruin it even more it's just awful put the competition in the dungeon and lock away the keys.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I have to say it would be amazing if Arsenal finished 4th and united won the CL. For two reasons first is obvious cause we'd all get a giggle but second they'd have to keep him on for another season at least and let's be fair he's not up to it which is good first us.

Of course knowing our luck we'll win the next 5 finish 4th and they'll win it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

Read today that Erik Lamela has made more assists than Aaron Lennon this season, bizarre!:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,917 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Read today that Erik Lamela has made more assists than Aaron Lennon this season, bizarre!:confused:

He's gotta go at the end of the season, he's beyond useless. He's contributed absolutely nothing, he can get a job in panto as one of the seven dwarfs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    He's gotta go at the end of the season, he's beyond useless. He's contributed absolutely nothing, he can get a job in panto as one of the seven dwarfs.

himself and rose should be top of hte list. lennon has served us fairly well over the years but he is finished now id say

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,917 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

mickman wrote: »
    himself and rose should be top of hte list. lennon has served us fairly well over the years but he is finished now id say

Lennon is stuck in a rut, he needs a new challenge and it ain't at Tottenham. He'll have no problems finding himself a new club.

Rose has been truly disappointing, I for one expected him to kick on after being loaned out to Sunderland, where he performed well. Maybe that's his level? Hasn't happened, maybe give him a shot out on the wing as a last resort.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭slegs

Sherwood has persisted with Lennon game after game even though he has contributed nothing. Just cant understand it. Surely Townsend flaws and all is a better option. At least he has potential to improve

slegs wrote: »
    Sherwood has persisted with Lennon game after game even though he has contributed nothing. Just cant understand it. Surely Townsend flaws and all is a better option. At least he has potential to improve

Sorry but I think Townsend is just as bad, neither are good enough for a starting place. Townsend is a one trick pony who cuts inside and shoots and if he can't do that he runs down a dead end with no plan whatsoever before he loses the ball.

KingdomYid wrote: »
    Sorry but I think Townsend is just as bad, neither are good enough for a starting place. Townsend is a one trick pony who cuts inside and shoots and if he can't do that he runs down a dead end with no plan whatsoever before he loses the ball.

I'd keep Townsend around as a squad player. Ideal for Europa Cup or League Cup games.

He's very frustrating when played on the left because all he does is cut inside and shoot. Though, if he's played down the left in the aforementioned cup ties he could do well..... as a squad player.

I'd keep Townsend around as a squad player. Ideal for Europa Cup or League Cup games.

He's very frustrating when played on the left because all he does is cut inside and shoot. Though, if he's played down the left in the aforementioned cup ties he could do well..... as a squad player.

No, no, no, cash in quickly, he's not worth the hype the UK media have about him

No, no, no, cash in quickly, he's not worth the hype the UK media have about him

I fear his stock has fallen already and he won't be going to the World Cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

I like townsend and would definitly keep him. A really good coach could help transform him in to a very good player for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

Hatch99 wrote: »
    I like townsend and would definitly keep him. A really good coach could help transform him in to a very good player for me.

u have been on about townsend from the start of the season :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭3mm

Ye will finish top 4 , only joking . 7th if ye are lucky 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

3mm wrote: »
    Ye will finish top 4 , only joking . 7th if ye are lucky 😂

5th or 6th would be unlucky so yeah you're probably right ;)

Advertisement