Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where will we finish ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Well... Thought I'd bring this thread back into the fold...

I thought last season was a very strange season but this one is even stranger. West Ham sitting 4th at Christmas? Jesus Christ...

Its amazing when you look at how awful we have been this season and then see the table. Level on points with Arsenal and 5 ahead of Liverpool. Albeit, it is a battle between the three teams as to who can have a worse season.

Readibg through fans views from all three I can see nobody is happy with their clubs.

I do believe that if we have some bit of luck and maybe a couple of signings in the January window, along with Kane kicking on and scoring more goals in the league we've every chance of claiming that fourth spot.

We do like to capitulate though so wouldn't surprise me if we screw up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

irishmover wrote: »
    Well... Thought I'd bring this thread back into the fold...

I thought last season was a very strange season but this one is even stranger. West Ham sitting 4th at Christmas? Jesus Christ...

Its amazing when you look at how awful we have been this season and then see the table. Level on points with Arsenal and 5 ahead of Liverpool. Albeit, it is a battle between the three teams as to who can have a worse season.

Readibg through fans views from all three I can see nobody is happy with their clubs.

I do believe that if we have some bit of luck and maybe a couple of signings in the January window, along with Kane kicking on and scoring more goals in the league we've every chance of claiming that fourth spot.

We do like to capitulate though so wouldn't surprise me if we screw up.

I don't think we'll get 4th, but we'll be in the running for 5th and 6th I'd say if we pick up at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,731 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

We will be within touching distance of 4th for the next 6-7 weeks and then fall away... around about the time the EL returns and the league cup might become a distraction from the league if we get past the semi's

• Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭slegs

Very negative lads. We have as good a chance as Liverpool or Arsenal. The year we got into ECL the points total was quite low if I remember correctly

• Registered Users Posts: 9,731 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

slegs wrote:
    Very negative lads. We have as good a chance as Liverpool or Arsenal.

sod all chance then.

Arsenal will pull it together probably but Liverpool, forget about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

I think 6th would be a decent finish considering the way we played so far. You would expect us to have a better second half of the season as the players adapt to the manager. Maybe two really shrewd signings could give us an outside chance of fourth. Arsenal will go on their annual run, I think Liverpool are still too poor at the back and Rodgers has no idea what team to play each week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

There's no reason why we can't get 4th. Realistically barring Man City and Chelsea, it's a fairly poor and inconsistent season for most teams.

I've seen enough in the last couple of weeks to suggest a few of Poch's ideas are coming to fruition. As a few have said, a couple of wise purchases in January and if we can go on a bit of a run before the Europa starts again, we will be hanging around the top four.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

There's no reason why we can't get 4th. Realistically barring Man City and Chelsea, it's a fairly poor and inconsistent season for most teams.

I've seen enough in the last couple of weeks to suggest a few of Poch's ideas are coming to fruition. As a few have said, a couple of wise purchases in January and if we can go on a bit of a run before the Europa starts again, we will be hanging around the top four.

I wouldn't be willing to put much of my hard earned cash on us getting fourth though. A really top class striker could change my mind.

jobeenfitz wrote: »
    I wouldn't be willing to put much of my hard earned cash on us getting fourth though. A really top class striker could change my mind.

With Kane scoring goals I dont think they'll see a striker as a priority. Personally I wouldn't either. I think a top quality centre half is what we need to stop leaking goals and that should sure us up. Get Eriksen, Lamela and Kane to run the attack and see if they can handle it. I think Poch needs to tell Kane that he's the man to take us forward the rest of the season and show him a bit of faith. He's been brilliant and deserves the chance above anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

With Kane scoring goals I dont think they'll see a striker as a priority. Personally I wouldn't either. I think a top quality centre half is what we need to stop leaking goals and that should sure us up. Get Eriksen, Lamela and Kane to run the attack and see if they can handle it. I think Poch needs to tell Kane that he's the man to take us forward the rest of the season and show him a bit of faith. He's been brilliant and deserves the chance above anyone.

I agree, but there don't seem to be any quality centre halves about, let alone for sale.

We're not gonna get the likes of Hummels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

Yes Kane deserves to be in the side but wot happens if he is injured or out of form. Ade r Soldado? We need a top striker.

jobeenfitz wrote: »
    Yes Kane deserves to be in the side but wot happens if he is injured or out of form. Ade r Soldado? We need a top striker.

Top strikers won't come to Spurs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

Ormus wrote: »
    Top strikers won't come to Spurs

Every one of your posts is negative . You must be a joy to live with :-)

mickman wrote: »
    Every one of your posts is negative . You must be a joy to live with :-)

You think? I think I'm a positive supporter. It's not negative to say top strikers won't come to Spurs. Just fact.

You think? I think I'm a positive supporter. It's not negative to say top strikers won't come to Spurs. Just fact.

Two years ago, soldado was classed as a top striker, so was / is adebayour

Ok. I don't agree. Soldado was pretty high profile, but he was never in the Suarez, Messi, Aguero bracket. Arguably he wasn't in the RvP, Rooney, Costa, Falcao, Benzema bracket either. He was probably one grade below them.

Adebayor was world class for one season with Arsenal. Since then he has shown the odd glimpse of it, but there weren't many clubs in the England or Spain who were willing to take him off City's hands. He was probably two grades below Soldado.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭slegs

We could still do with another striker. Getting a world class Aguero type is obviously unlikely but a Benteke, Bony or Pelle would improve us significantly in my view.

slegs wrote: »
    We could still do with another striker. Getting a world class Aguero type is obviously unlikely but a Benteke, Bony or Pelle would improve us significantly in my view.

Agreed. We could try bidding for the likes of Jackson Martinez, Seydou Doumbia or even Huntelaar, but they might turn their noses up at Spurs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Ok. I don't agree. Soldado was pretty high profile, but he was never in the Suarez, Messi, Aguero bracket. Arguably he wasn't in the RvP, Rooney, Costa, Falcao, Benzema bracket either. He was probably one grade below them.

Nonsense, Soldado was the fifth highest scoring striker in the world when he came to is, he was third top scorer in La Liga behind Messi and Ronaldo

Nonsense, Soldado was the fifth highest scoring striker in the world when he came to is, he was third top scorer in La Liga behind Messi and Ronaldo

So you think he was in the same class as Messi and Ronaldo, but had an irresistible urge to play for a club not in the Champions League?

• Advertisement

So you think he was in the same class as Messi and Ronaldo, but had an irresistible urge to play for a club not in the Champions League?

He was a proven goal scorer, and yes he could have walked into any team, not sure why he chose us tbh. We were all jumping for joy at the time

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

You know your facts are wrong right?

He was a proven goal scorer, and yes he could have walked into any team, not sure why he chose us tbh. We were all jumping for joy at the time

I agree he was a proven scorer in a top league, and it was a coup for us. But he was no Messi or Ronaldo. That's madness.

You know your facts are wrong right?

Sorry, fifth in La Liga in 2012-13 and fifth highest goals total for the previous 5 years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭DildoFaggins

I have to also point out that Adebayor reminds of Balotelli - Slow,Lazy incredibly inconsistent and only shows glimpses of class every blue moon.

Soldado was leagues above that shower of mediocrity.

I have to also point out that Adebayor reminds of Balotelli - Slow,Lazy incredibly inconsistent and only shows glimpses of class every blue moon.

Soldado was leagues above that shower of mediocrity.

Don't get me wrong. I can't stand adebayour be he was considered top class

A win and a draw from our next 3 games would be respectable

• Registered Users Posts: 10,478 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

if we get 4points from leicster and united at the lane, which is realistic in my view, I think we'll defo be on track for top 4. the Chelsea game, even though it is at the lane is pretty much a write off. theyre so good and they've some sort of adebayour voodoo hold over us!

Tottenham have recovered more points from losing positions than any other team in the PL (12).

Either we're losing a lot in games or Poch has the team in good fitness. Interesting stat though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

Tottenham have recovered more points from losing positions than any other team in the PL (12).

Either we're losing a lot in games or Poch has the team in good fitness. Interesting stat though.

It's interesting in that it shows some spirit but it is a statistic Spurs generally are high up in only because the really top teams don't tend to fall behind in the first place.

This year Spurs have fallen behind to Hull and Aston Villa (Villa's first goal in 6 matches) before beating them after each had a player sent off. Top teams would rarely leave themselves in a position like that.

Hopefully Poch will get the defensive system sorted out and we will start to drop in that particular league table in the future.

Advertisement