Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where will we finish ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,731 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

irishmover wrote: »
    Tottenham have recovered more points from losing positions than any other team in the PL (12).

Either we're losing a lot in games or Poch has the team in good fitness. Interesting stat though.

.. seem to recall we had a similar statistic under Harry during his renaissance at one stage too.
    .. After going months of losing games that we went behind in (under Ramos and Jol) we gradually developed a knack of coming from behind to claim draws or wins.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭gar

Sure united used to be infamous for coming from behind. It's a good stat to have. Again better to not have to come from behind but it shows resilliance and spirit

• Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭slegs

The fitness thing is definitely a factor. You can sense that we take control of games late on and that a goal is coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

We have an absolute shedload of games between now and the end of January.

mushykeogh wrote: »

We do indeed. Make or break time ... and the EL games aren't far off either :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

We have a massive squad. Probably 3 full teams. No real excuse for not using it now. Can't play the A team in every match.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Ormus wrote: »
    We have a massive squad. Probably 3 full teams. No real excuse for not using it now. Can't play the A team in every match.

Fully agree. Massive squad, games for everyone is good

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭richardjjd

Jan 10 away to Palace (premiership)
    Some time next week home to Burnley (FA Cup)
    Jan 17 home to Sunderland (prem)
    Jan 21 home to Sheffield U (league cup)
    Jan 24 FA Cup 4th round
    Jan 28 away to Sheffield U (league cup)
    Jan 31 away to W Brom (prem)

All winnable ...

We could end up fighting on four fronts - Europa, League Cup, FA Cup and premiership - not that I'd have it any other way!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

richardjjd wrote: »
    Jan 24 FA Cup 4th round

All winnable ...

We could end up fighting on four fronts - Europa, League Cup, FA Cup and premiership - not that I'd have it any other way!

Ugh... Optimism. We're doomed!

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Devo from Dublin

Knowing our Luck...

Chelsea will beat us in the Capitol one cup final..and they win the League..
    (We get the Europa League spot?).

We come 4th in the League.....
    Arsenal come 5th....

We win the Europa League..( because we are having a titanic battle with Arsenal for 4th spot)..

Arsenal who come 5th....STILL get Champions League!!!

Wouldnt rule it out!!!!!

• Advertisement

Ugh... Optimism. We're doomed!

Indeed. I'm still expecting us to screw up last Thursday's game v Chelsea.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭golfball37

Knowing our Luck...

Chelsea will beat us in the Capitol one cup final..and they win the League..
    (We get the Europa League spot?).

We come 4th in the League.....
    Arsenal come 5th....

We win the Europa League..( because we are having a titanic battle with Arsenal for 4th spot)..

Arsenal who come 5th....STILL get Champions League!!!

Wouldnt rule it out!!!!!

Only 4 teams from one country can get into the CL I think. If we win EL and finish 6th then I believe 4th in the EPL will miss out.
    Also League Cup Runners up don't get a Europa spot in any circumstances, you have to win the trophy.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

If we win the EL, we get CL qualification regardless of our league position. Couldn't care less who else gets in if we do.

• Jan 10 away to Palace (premiership)
    • Some time next week home to Burnley (FA Cup)
    • Jan 17 home to Sunderland (prem)
    • Jan 21 home to Sheffield U (league cup)
    • Jan 24 FA Cup 4th round
    • Jan 28 away to Sheffield U (league cup)
    • Jan 31 away to W Brom (prem)

You'd have to assume that Poch will play his strongest XI in the 2 games vs Sheff United.

He'll probably play weakened teams again Burnley and Leicester (if we beat Burnley that is)

And then there's the small matter of 3 EPL games ... which will probably be a mix of our first XI and fringe players.

Potentially 7 games in 21 days between the 10th and 31st (or a game every 3 days on average). Yikes

You'd have to assume that Poch will play his strongest XI in the 2 games vs Sheff United.

He'll probably play weakened teams again Burnley and Leicester (if we beat Burnley that is)

And then there's the small matter of 3 EPL games ... which will probably be a mix of our first XI and fringe players.

Potentially 7 games in 21 days between the 10th and 31st (or a game every 3 days on average). Yikes

One at a time and we will be fine. We owe Palace a game after the poor showing we put up at the Lane before Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

Jan 24 FA Cup 4th round

4 handy enough games at home if we beat Burnley.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

I feel this reminder is necessary at this point, we haven't had many handy games this season.....

13 points off the top.

I'm like a giddy goat.

I know in my heart of heart that 4th is a pipe dream but until the bloody EL Thursday night games return and our form inevitable dips, we can dream...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

13 points off the top.

I'm like a giddy goat.

I know in my heart of heart that 4th is a pipe dream but until the bloody EL Thursday night games return and our form inevitable dips, we can dream...

4th is not a pipe dream. This team is oozing confidence and every played has now bought into the hard work ethic gat brings results

We could win thd Europa league which give us champs league anyway

I appreciate you can't compare any two seasons, because at any point you'll have played different teams, but this is where we are compared to the last few years (thanks to Statto.com for the historical tables) ... all seasons after 23 games

Season|Pts|GD|final position
    2014/15|40|+5|5th currently
    2013/14|43|-1|6th
    2012/13|41|+12|5th
    2011/12|49|+19|4th

But there was a lot of disruption over the summer and we had a poor start. When you think we were 11th at the beginning of October; 14th at the beginning of November and 9th at the beginning of December, we've been on a consistently strong run (now unbeaten in the last six home league games) - we've also played more games than any other Premiership team.

Is 4th out of reach? I don't think Southampton will hold on ... and Man U will slip up again ... but Arsenal and Liverpool will be there or thereabouts (so the next two games home to Arsenal and away to 'Pool are important enough!). I think it'll all come down to the last couple of games ... and I'm glad we're out of the FA cup!

• Advertisement

15 games left, cant see 4th place going to a team with less than 65 points?.
    Anything over 60 points would be a great first season for Poch really. Can we get 8 + wins from here on in?

15 games left, cant see 4th place going to a team with less than 65 points?.
    Anything over 60 points would be a great first season for Poch really. Can we get 8 + wins from here on in?

We should expect to get 8 wins from 15 games minimum

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

slegs wrote: »
    We should expect to get 8 wins from 15 games minimum

Which is great to see, I remember that being a pipe dream :pac:

For Jesus sake lads... Can we please keep calling this a transitional season. Things have been going well just as it was now we're starting to get our hopes up again....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

For Jesus sake lads... Can we please keep calling this a transitional season. Things have been going well just as it was now we're starting to get our hopes up again....

Exactly, I'd still be happy with sixth and a manager being backed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

It may have started as a transition but it's rapidly beginning very impressive

Cup and 4th would be awesome

Cup and europa cup would b even better

mickman wrote: »
    It may have started as a transition but it's rapidly beginning very impressive

Cup and 4th would be awesome

Cup and europa cup would b even better

You dont get it :( optimism almost always ruins our season..

You dont get it :( optimism almost always ruins our season..

But pessimism ruins your life! Its spurs, its all about the optimism!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,639 ✭✭✭Glebee

Lads, its Spurs were talking about, we all know what really going to happen. They get your hopes up and then Baam, they will let you down with a bang. Weve all seen it to many times before.

• Advertisement

Yeah. U only have to contrast the Chelsea game followed by the palace performance.

Advertisement