Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where will we finish ?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

.....roll on Arsenal....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

mushykeogh wrote: »
    15 games left, cant see 4th place going to a team with less than 65 points?.
    Anything over 60 points would be a great first season for Poch really. Can we get 8 + wins from here on in?

I think it's fair to presume that we can average two points per game from our remaining 7 home games. Giving us 54 points.

Can we win four away games on top of that, giving us 66 points?

Our remaining away games are;

Liverpool
    QPR - Draw
    United
    Burnley - Win
    Newcastle - Win
    Southampton - Draw
    Stoke - Win
    Everton

It's going to be tough....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,731 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Arsenal are on a good streak at the moment. ..

.. be all the sweeter when we beat them so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭slegs

I would love it if we beat them!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭gar

We're going to win the league!

It's the hope that kills you as a spurs fan.
    Next 2 games are massive for the league. Arse and pool. 2 wins would be amazing. Could easily see us only getting a point but the form we are in here's hoping for all 6

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭richardjjd

Arsenal are on a good streak at the moment. ..

But so are we ... it would be so huge to have taken four points from them

Arsenal league results since Nov 1
    WLLWWLWDWWLWWW = 28 pts from 14 games

Spurs league results since Nov 1
    WLWWLDWWWDWLWW = 29 pts from 14 games

Arsenal
    Liverpool

huge games incoming

Would we be better of with 2 pts from those 2 games or 3 points?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭slegs

One at a time. Beat Arsenal at home and the season could open up for us...that said we can't affod to lose it!

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Left Back on the Bench

Arsenal
    Liverpool

huge games incoming

Would we be better of with 2 pts from those 2 games or 3 points?

Well obviously 3 is better than 2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

Id rather 6!

• Advertisement

Is it in this case?

If we get two draws against our rivals we are taking 2 points off them (each)

Where as if we beat one and lose the other one, then the one we lose to is more costly. It a top 4 equivalent of a relegation 6 pointer.

Yesterday is done with, lets move on and look up the table.

Europa League finished. League Cup finished. FA Cup finished.

Let's focus on the league.

Of our remaining games we only have to play United, Southampton and City from the 'top 7'.

Liverpool are on phenomenal form. Arsenal are coming good. City and Southampton are faltering. While United are unpredictable.

If we get back on to our Christmas period form, there's no reason why we can't be challenging come May.

COYS!

Only 8 points off City, that's the direction I'm looking. COYS!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

6th and hopefully no Europa nonsense next season

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

Looking at the remaining 10 fixtures UTD have a horrible run. Spurs, Liverpool, Villa, City and Chelsea are their next five fixtures and they still have Arsenal after that. Their 'easy' fixtures include West Brom and Crystal Palace who aren't giving much away easy these days.

Liverpools next three are Swansea away, Manu U and Arsenal with Chelsea still to come later.

Arsenals next three are West Ham, Newcastle and Liverpool. They will still have Chelsea and Man U to come.

Spurs next 5 are Man U, Leicester, Burnley, Villa, and Newcastle before a tough run of Southampton, City and away to Stoke before finishing with Hull and Everton. 20+ points wouldn't be outrageous and it would put it up to all the others challenging for the 3rd and 4th CL spots.

We need something from Old Trafford just to keep Utd in sight and I could see us overtaking them on the run in. Six Points last week was crucial and we have no more midweek fixtures. It is all to play for really. If I was a betting man though, you would have to say Liverpool are looking impressive and Arsenal always do just enough. Also, neither of them have particularly tough fixtures compared with Utd.

Southampton can't be ruled out either. They have Chelsea next and finish with City (who will probably be out of the league by then). Their only other tough fixture is home to Spurs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

We would need to finish lower to escape europa crap as league cup spot reverts back to the league if chelsea qualify for CL.

Deise Vu wrote: »
    Looking at the remaining 10 fixtures UTD have a horrible run. Spurs, Liverpool, Villa, City and Chelsea are their next five fixtures and they still have Arsenal after that. Their 'easy' fixtures include West Brom and Crystal Palace who aren't giving much away easy these days.

Liverpools next three are Swansea away, Manu U and Arsenal with Chelsea still to come later.

Arsenals next three are West Ham, Newcastle and Liverpool. They will still have Chelsea and Man U to come.

Spurs next 5 are Man U, Leicester, Burnley, Villa, and Newcastle before a tough run of Southampton, City and away to Stoke before finishing with Hull and Everton. 20+ points wouldn't be outrageous and it would put it up to all the others challenging for the 3rd and 4th CL spots.

We need something from Old Trafford just to keep Utd in sight and I could see us overtaking them on the run in. Six Points last week was crucial and we have no more midweek fixtures. It is all to play for really. If I was a betting man though, you would have to say Liverpool are looking impressive and Arsenal always do just enough. Also, neither of them have particularly tough fixtures compared with Utd.

Southampton can't be ruled out either. They have Chelsea next and finish with City (who will probably be out of the league by then). Their only other tough fixture is home to Spurs.

That's more like it... Let's not count ourselves out yet - there's still a lot of football to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

Not a lotta love for the Europa League round here at the moment.

I can understand why, but it's hard to get away from the fact that, if we want to be a top club, we have to deal with Europe, whether that means Europa on Thursday and league game Sunday, or Champions League Wednesday and league game Saturday.

We rotated extensively in the Europa early this season, at times to the point where there were hardly any of the same players played midweek and weekend.

Granted, it's not ideal preparation for a manager to arrive back to London on Friday for a game Sunday.

Ormus wrote: »
    Not a lotta love for the Europa League round here at the moment.

I can understand why, but it's hard to get away from the fact that, if we want to be a top club, we have to deal with Europe, whether that means Europa on Thursday and league game Sunday, or Champions League Wednesday and league game Saturday.

We rotated extensively in the Europa early this season, at times to the point where there were hardly any of the same players played midweek and weekend.

Granted, it's not ideal preparation for a manager to arrive back to London on Friday for a game Sunday.

It's a big load of balls. Even for the players mentally, I'm guessing its a struggle. some players who don't play are still travelling around Europe. interFekn toto Wit CL qualification for winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Martin567

The EL will only become a worthwhile competition when UEFA stop parachuting 8 teams from the CL into it every year. These teams have failed in the CL so why should they get an opportunity in the EL?

The EL should be structured in such a way that it begins at the last 16 stage in the new year, just like the CL. It's ridiculous that EL teams are currently having to play 4 games in 5 weeks, on top of their domestic commitments. If Spurs had come through the last round, they would likely be playing Roma now and this is still only the last 16 stage despite having played 10 games to get there!

The competition is simply far too big and the long average travel distances are bound to have an effect on Sunday PL games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,760 ✭✭✭abff

Martin567 wrote: »
    The EL will only become a worthwhile competition when UEFA stop parachuting 8 teams from the CL into it every year. These teams have failed in the CL so why should they get an opportunity in the EL?

Couldn't agree more. The current system is a joke and is yet another example of everything being geared towards those teams that qualify for the Champions League.

A straight knockout like the old UEFA Cup or Cup Winners Cup would be great.

I know there's various revenue concerns and trying to get cash down to the poorer leagues but the competition has to have some level of prestige!

What needs to happen is that many of the teams around Europe need to organise together and say enough is enough.

Or just play complete reserve/experimental teams and send assistant managers to take charge. No senior players sent as subs.

Its a crappy money spinner imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭golfball37

I'd be very disappointed if we don't finish ahead of Man U. We are better than them

Even though I would be unhappy to see Spurs to finish in a europa league spot I am happy with Poch and the improvement in the team. Obviously there will be some sort of clear out and hopefully the manager gets some of his first choice buys in the summer.

More possible good news for Europa lovers, if Arsenal and Liverpool reach final of FA cup 7th place could also qualify for our favourite competition.

I think they will eventually make it so that all other sixteen teams that don't qualify for CL will play in Europa.

Win today and we're five points off second. COYS!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

Is there anyone here who, at the start of the season, didn't think we'd finish somewhere between 5th and 7th, with an outside chance of us finishing 4th or 8th?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

At this stage I just want us to settle, oh and miss Europa, couldn't bear another season of that shíte

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

Dier needs to be dropped after Sunday's horror show

Good potential but not clever enough with positioning

Fazio to come in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Bumping this thread as a staunch reminder of being over positive.

Pochettinos interview was spot on when asked about our PL title hopes. Let's not get carried away and take it one game at a time. March after the Arsenal win is when we can start to get a bit giddy.

Nows the time to be enjoying the fine form the players are in and how much of a difference a few months makes to our club. It was only August/September that people were calling for everyone's head at the club and now we're all salivating in a 12 PL game unbeaten run and arguably the best form out squad has been in for years.

Long may it last.

Advertisement