Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where will we finish ?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

irishmover wrote: »
    Bumping this thread as a staunch reminder of being over positive.

Pochettinos interview was spot on when asked about our PL title hopes. Let's not get carried away and take it one game at a time. March after the Arsenal win is when we can start to get a bit giddy.

Nows the time to be enjoying the fine form the players are in and how much of a difference a few months makes to our club. It was only August/September that people were calling for everyone's head at the club and now we're all salivating in a 12 PL game unbeaten run and arguably the best form out squad has been in for years.

Long may it last.

Exactly, an injury or two could change things rapidly

• Registered Users Posts: 9,732 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Its Important that we as fans as well as the players/coaching staff stay grounded.

... yes, we are doing great and are unbeaten in 12 games. We have been very impressive in some, notably today, vs arsenal, vs Bournemouth and City but we've also been very poor in some of those 12 games too... stoke, Everton, and not so long ago we rode our luck vs Swansea, palace and Liverpool.

But on the balance of things I think we are were we deserve to be...
    ... but any injury to Kane that ruled him out for more than a couple of games could be catastrophe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

Yes, a new striker to support Kane is definitely needed but I must say I'm quite happy about the squad this year.

When Son was out he had Lamela, Eriksen and Dembele playing well.

When Lamela got suspended we have Son coming in and playing well.

Now we have Alli suspended but a confident Lamela and Mason well able to fill the void.

There just seems to be an air of confidence and belief in the squad - everyone seems to be pulling in the one direction.

If Kane did get injured I have no doubt Son would step up and crack in a few goals.

Yes, a new striker to support Kane is definitely needed but I must say I'm quite happy about the squad this year.

Now we have Alli suspended but a confident Lamela and Mason well able to fill the void.

There just seems to be an air of confidence and belief in the squad - everyone seems to be pulling in the one direction.

If Kane did get injured I have no doubt Son would step up and crack in a few goals.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

I'm sure there are some fans who think we should spend big in the coming window and bring in some world class players to take us to the next level, but we know that's not gonna happen, mainly because we can't attract world class players, but also because it would jeopardise the unity we have and stunt the growth of some of our young players.

I want a back up striker, someone who won't mind mostly playing second fiddle to HK.

I also want a replacement for Fazio.

Can a MOD delete the duplicates. My browser was having a field day.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 CarolynSmith

Spurs are in need of an extra striker, we have no quality backup for HK when he gets injured or suspended. Son might be OK but one more experienced forward in January needed. Bring back Defoe for the rest of the year?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

Spurs are in need of an extra striker, we have no quality backup for HK when he gets injured or suspended. Son might be OK but one more experienced forward in January needed. Bring back Defoe for the rest of the year?

Defoe is hit n miss and was a confidence type who scored in streaks n then lean streaks. He doesn't link up well, he either scores or does nothing. Be a backward step imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭slegs

What happened to Charlie Austin from QPR? Is he injured? He was flying last year

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I think an experienced striker who might be happy to play second fiddle to Kane would be a decent find. Defoe level of quality wouldn't be terrible

ziedth wrote: »
    I think an experienced striker who might be happy to play second fiddle to Kane would be a decent find. Defoe level of quality wouldn't be terrible

Defoe isn't capable of playing Kane's role. We need someone who can link the play and hold the ball up. Defoe would still be at the club if he could do those things.

slegs wrote: »
    What happened to Charlie Austin from QPR? Is he injured? He was flying last year

Think he might be injured in the last few weeks but he was banging them in for QPR before that.

Ormus wrote: »
    Think he might be injured in the last few weeks but he was banging them in for QPR before that.

If fit he would have to be a good option as backup to Kane. Used to carrying the line and scores regularly. Quite similar to Kane really

• Registered Users Posts: 30 CarolynSmith

I really think Spurs will get that fourth place this year ... and Chelsea will win the Champions League again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

I really think Spurs will get that fourth place this year ... and Chelsea will win the Champions League again

Chelsea won't win CL. Their not good enough. Although I thought Liverpool couldn't win CL when they losing 3-0. That cost me, so what do I know?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,760 ✭✭✭abff

Even if they do, they've changed the rules now (haven't they?) so we would still get into the Champions League.

If we can get 3 points tomorrow, it will make it very difficult for Chelsea to catch us. Because of past disappointments, I'm not confident we'll do it, but I think this year's team are different, so here's hoping.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

There's a possibility this year could be the last time we see CL playoff for 4th spot for a while.

If the English teams in the CL continue to play this rubbish that is.

We could be in 4th now had we knicked a goal today. I'm not disappointed with the clean sheet and point. Though I hope we're not regretting all the draws come May.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Hard to believe we're only two wins from top of the table and a good portion of that was when Harry wasn't scoring. If we get into January only a win or two away from City or whoever is up there then why not aim for more then 4th. What thing that's obvious to me is that while a number of teams on paper are obviously stronger then us not 1 has shown it.

As blatantly obvious as it is, the draws are hindering us putting real pressure at the top. Though, we're not being beaten - which is great.

What I'm delighted about is that we are one goal off having the best goal difference in the league and only United have conceded fewer. These are the stats we want to be seeing in a season that anything can happen. Steady progress!

As blatantly obvious as it is, the draws are hindering us putting real pressure at the top. Though, we're not being beaten - which is great.

What I'm delighted about is that we are one goal off having the best goal difference in the league and only United have conceded fewer. These are the stats we want to be seeing in a season that anything can happen. Steady progress!

This time last year we had lost 6 games and drawn 3. This year we've lost 1 and drawn 8. Draws are not hindering us!

If we win our next 4 games as I think we should then we will most likely be top 3 by end of year

Huge opportunity to get into CL this year in advance of the big premier league money at end of year. Also with the stadium project coming it could play big time into negotiations for a temporary home if we have 3 home CL games guaranteed

Maybe it's Christmas and all but I am starting to believe...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

slegs wrote: »
    If we win our next 4 games as I think we should then we will most likely be top 3 by end of year

Huge opportunity to get into CL this year in advance of the big premier league money at end of year. Also with the stadium project coming it could play big time into negotiations for a temporary home if we have 3 home CL games guaranteed

Maybe it's Christmas and all but I am starting to believe...

Our next four are Newcastle (H), Southampton (A), Norwich (H) and Watford (A). The two away games will be tricky and I think we could drop a few points there but hopefully not.

KingdomYid wrote: »
    Our next four are Newcastle (H), Southampton (A), Norwich (H) and Watford (A). The two away games will be tricky and I think we could drop a few points there but hopefully not.

Southampton is the only one I think would be dodgy. Think we will win the other three comfortably

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭oppiuy

Ormus wrote: »
    This time last year we had lost 6 games and drawn 3. This year we've lost 1 and drawn 8. Draws are not hindering us!

Just out of curiostity and lazyness, do we now what the points difference is between last year and now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Martin567

oppiuy wrote: »
    Just out of curiostity and lazyness, do we now what the points difference is between last year and now

Last year Spurs had 21 points from 15 games, so 5 points better off this year.

However, I think they got 13 points from the next 5 games last year so had 34 points from 20 games. Several of the top teams had a lot more points last year though so, relatively speaking, Spurs are much better off this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

no investment in January - 5th or 6th

one or two quality players - 1st or 2nd

• Advertisement

no investment in January - 5th or 6th

one or two quality players - 1st or 2nd

Who would you suggest?

Advertisement