Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where will we finish ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

Ormus wrote: »
    Who would you suggest?

quite fancy the no.10 at Swansea

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

quite fancy the no.10 at Swansea

Seriously though?

Seriously though?

opinions isn't it......

I think he's done well in a poor side.
    Strong, Pacey, Good Finisher.
    He wouldn't expect to start every game.

Bolasie would be a decent shout too.

opinions isn't it......

I think he's done well in a poor side.
    Strong, Pacey, Good Finisher.
    He wouldn't expect to start every game.

Bolasie would be a decent shout too.

Sigurdsson plays in the 10 role for Swansea.

I think Ayew might have the 10 jersey.

Are they out of contract or on the transfer list? If not, would you pay £20m plus for them?

Sigurdsson plays in the 10 role for Swansea.

I think Ayew might have the 10 jersey.

Are they out of contract or on the transfer list? If not, would you pay £20m plus for them?

Don't mind number 10 roles, false number 9s and all that boll0x
    I'm talking squad numbers.

I don't know what I would pay, I'm too busy dealing with water charges :)

But if the manager wants them he should get them - The manager deserves proper support after the job he has done with this group of players.

I just hope we have some targets that will improve us as we could be on the verge of something very special if we get this window right.

We can't afford to stand still and do nothing - fifth or worse is nailed on if we don't strengthen.

• Advertisement

Don't mind number 10 roles, false number 9s and all that boll0x
    I'm talking squad numbers.

I don't know what I would pay, I'm too busy dealing with water charges :)

But if the manager wants them he should get them - The manager deserves proper support after the job he has done with this group of players.

I just hope we have some targets that will improve us as we could be on the verge of something very special if we get this window right.

We can't afford to stand still and do nothing - fifth or worse is nailed on if we don't strengthen.

Sorry, I just don't have all Premiership squad numbers memorised, my bad.

I'll assume you mean Ayew then. I can tell you now he won't be signing for us. He only joined them in the summer, he's done very well, they'd be mad to sell him.

Any realistic ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NomadicGray

Boy im glad Spurs didn't go for LVG

• Site Banned Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭XR3i

6-9

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Boy im glad Spurs didn't go for LVG

Same. He's a bigger media whore than Harry.

Sorry, I just don't have all Premiership squad numbers memorised, my bad.

I'll assume you mean Ayew then. I can tell you now he won't be signing for us. He only joined them in the summer, he's done very well, they'd be mad to sell him.

Any realistic ideas?

I think spurs could sign any Swansea player if they wanted to. Any any swansea player would jump at the chance to join us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

DS makes a good point in the sense that it's a great opportunity to push on and show how much we really want CL football and maybe even a title challenge, I don't agree with the idea of signing someone might destabilise the team, sign a top quality player and he's the difference in finishing top 3 or 5th/6th.

Test the waters, bid for ayew, bid for mahrez, bid for mane... Not sure who else, that's what Mitchell and co. are paid for

Hatch99 wrote: »
    DS makes a good point in the sense that it's a great opportunity to push on and show how much we really want CL football and maybe even a title challenge, I don't agree with the idea of signing someone might destabilise the team, sign a top quality player and he's the difference in finishing top 3 or 5th/6th.

Test the waters, bid for ayew, bid for mahrez, bid for mane... Not sure who else, that's what Mitchell and co. are paid for

I disagree. These test the water bids always make us look like total amateurs. Wanyama, Berahino etc.

The chances of any of those clubs selling Mahrez, Ayew or Mane for anything less than a ridiculous price are zero.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I doubt Leicester will sell any of their players in January. They don't need the money, and if they lost Mahrez and Vardy they'd plummet down the table. A sneaky bid on some Swansea players might work though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

To be fair about the test the water bids that's exactly how we signed Defoe IIRC

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

Ha, there's no way that any of those clubs would sell those players in Jan. Leicester having their best season ever and Swansea threading water to stay up.

Mane is the most likely but he wouldn't be any kind of value.

Mitchell's job is to go out and find value players from the lower English leagues or foreign.

Like your man Leicester signed from Caen in France - Kante. He's more the type of payer we'll bring in over the Jan transfer window, someone unheard of.

it's a great opportunity to push on and show how much we really want CL football and maybe even a title challenge, I don't agree with the idea of signing someone might destabilise the team, sign a top quality player and he's the difference in finishing top 3 or 5th/6th.

exactly - if we do nothing we'll end up 5th or 6th again

This January window is great opportunity to show some ambition and push on. All great clubs are founded on this ethos, you can't stand still. Our activity in January will tell us a lot about where the club is going and if it's time to get excited.

Big deals can be done in January if the will is there, just looks at the Torres / Carroll / Suarez triangle a few years ago. Just don't leave it to the last minute as end up with Ryan Nelson on a free !

Hopefully lessons have been learned at N17

exactly - if we do nothing we'll end up 5th or 6th again

This January window is great opportunity to show some ambition and push on. All great clubs are founded on this ethos, you can't stand still. Our activity in January will tell us a lot about where the club is going and if it's time to get excited.

Big deals can be done in January if the will is there, just looks at the Torres / Carroll / Suarez triangle a few years ago. Just don't leave it to the last minute as end up with Ryan Nelson on a free !

Hopefully lessons have been learned at N17

I'd imagine you're the first and last person in history to use Carroll and Torres as reasons to buy players in January.

Ah come on now, you can't seriously believe any of this?

Take a look at the Premier League January transfers ins and outs and then read the statement you wrote.

2015: http://www.premierleague.com/en-gb/news/news/2014-15/january-transfer-window-2015.html

2014: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2531299/Transfer-window-Club-club-guide-January-2014-Premier-League-deals.html

Mata from Chelsea to United in 2014 is the only transfer worth mentioning and even he was ineffective for the rest of the 2013/2014 season. United fans were calling him a flop (obviously not any more.)

Ha, there's no way that any of those clubs would sell those players in Jan. Leicester having their best season ever and Swansea threading water to stay up.

of course they would, they wouldn't like it of course but they are smaller clubs and would rather have the cash than a player (asset) that wants to leave.

its a dirty business but that's how it works, the sale of Berbatov to Utd is a great example. Utd decided they wanted him and met Levy's valuation, deal done. The key thing here is that the buying club must be prepared to pay an inflated price, otherwise it won't happen and that's an area Levy struggles with.

Sometimes you have to pay over the odds (e.g.Bentley), the flip side is that sometimes you will sell a player for more than they prove to be worth (e.g.Keane). Its a 2 way street.

I'd imagine you're the first and last person in history to use Carroll and Torres as reasons to buy players in January.

well this merry go round resulted in Suarez ending up in a red shirt

great net result for Liverpool

• Advertisement

Take a look at the Premier League January transfers ins and outs and then read the statement you wrote.

2015: http://www.premierleague.com/en-gb/news/news/2014-15/january-transfer-window-2015.html

2014: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2531299/Transfer-window-Club-club-guide-January-2014-Premier-League-deals.html

Mata from Chelsea to United in 2014 is the only transfer worth mentioning and even he was ineffective for the rest of the 2013/2014 season. United fans were calling him a flop (obviously not any more.)

Wow, I didn't think it was that extreme. I can only count 9 players bought last January who are now first choice with those teams, in the whole league.

From January 2014, I make it 5 players.

A bit off topic, but I think United have wasted Mata by not playing him as a 10. He's worth £40m as a 10, but only about £15m where they play him out on the right.

I think the main questions are,
    Do you think the club should try and bring in 1 or 2 quality players ?
    Do you think we have enough quality already?

A bit off topic, but I think United have wasted Mata by not playing him as a 10. He's worth £40m as a 10, but only about £15m where they play him out on the right.

totally agree

well this merry go round resulted in Suarez ending up in a red shirt

great net result for Liverpool

Nope, they'd already bought Suarez before that.

Nope, they'd already bought Suarez before that.

I'm pretty sure the deals were all done in the same January window - but am happy to stand corrected if they relate to different windows.

Which is my original point - big deals can get done in January if there is an appetite for them.

Do you think the club should try and bring in 1 or 2 quality players?

No, because in my experience it is a short-sighted move. You pay way over the odds for a player who probably won't last and then when you come to the summer you've wasted all your money on a flop.

Do you think we have enough quality already?

Given our current unbeaten run, yes we do. I still don't think we've reached our potential.

Given Poch has a five year plan, short-sighted moves are not required.

No, because in my experience it is a short-sighted move. You pay way over the odds for a player who probably won't last and then when you come to the summer you've wasted all your money on a flop.

Given our current unbeaten run, yes we do. I still don't think we've reached our potential.

Given Poch has a five year plan, short-sighted moves are not required.

fair enough, I have a different view,

I think we will fall short of the top 4 if we don't strengthen the squad in January. This would be a shame as we are so close at the moment and a few of the traditional big boys are flaundering.

There's no reason why a signing or two this Jan should be short-sighted, quality cover for Kane is a must for me at the very least. The trick is to do your homework well in advance and hit the market early in January with a clear goal in mind.

It's the scrimping for free transfers on 31 Jan that has harmed us in the past when real investment was needed.

Anyway, it will be interesting to see how it plays out nonetheless.

fair enough, I have a different view,

I think we will fall short of the top 4 if we don't strengthen the squad in January. This would be a shame as we are so close at the moment and a few of the traditional big boys are flaundering.

There's no reason why a signing or two this Jan should be short-sighted, quality cover for Kane is a must for me at the very least. The trick is to do your homework well in advance and hit the market early in January with a clear goal in mind.

It's the scrimping for free transfers on 31 Jan that has harmed us in the past when real investment was needed.

Anyway, it will be interesting to see how it plays out nonetheless.

I agree we need cover for Kane, who would you go for?

I agree we need cover for Kane, who would you go for?

I reckon the lad from Swansea - you don't think that's realistic, I think it is !

I hope Poch has a few targets and Levy backs him - I can't really ask for more than that.

• Advertisement

I reckon the lad from Swansea - you don't think that's realistic, I think it is !

I hope Poch has a few targets and Levy backs him - I can't really ask for more than that.

Ayew isn't really an out and out striker though. He's similar to N'Jie or Son. Do you not think we need another striker to cover for Kane?

Advertisement