Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where will we finish ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

Ormus wrote: »
    Ayew isn't really an out and out striker though. He's similar to N'Jie or Son. Do you not think we need another striker to cover for Kane?

I think Ayew is a centre forward and would do well if if signed him.
    I think Son is a midfield player and I think N'Jie is pretty shíte.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,732 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Better chance of us signing Michu then Ayew to be honest. Whatever happened poor Michu. Back in Spain is he?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

I think Ayew is a centre forward and would do well if if signed him.
    I think Son is a midfield player and I think N'Jie is pretty shíte.

Ok. I'm guessing you haven't watched him play. He's never played in Kane's position for Swansea. I didn't see him much for Marseille, but he scored a goal every 4 games for them on average in Ligue 1.

He's a good player, but he doesn't play in the same position as Kane.

And he's not available...

Better chance of us signing Michu then Ayew to be honest. Whatever happened poor Michu. Back in Spain is he?

He joined a Spanish non-league team coached by his brother.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

There's no reason why a signing or two this Jan should be short-sighted, quality cover for Kane is a must for me at the very least.

Yeah I agree on Kane. Though I still a big bank-busting punt on a game changer is short-sighted.

As mentioned before, someone like Dembele from Fulham could be ideal. Won't cost the world and can play the No. 9 role.

It's the scrimping for free transfers on 31 Jan that has harmed us in the past when real investment was needed.

I think we're well beyond the days of Saha and Nelson. Poch wouldn't let the likes near his squad.

• Advertisement

Ok. I'm guessing you haven't watched him play. He's never played in Kane's position for Swansea. I didn't see him much for Marseille, but he scored a goal every 4 games for them on average in Ligue 1.

He's a good player, but he doesn't play in the same position as Kane.

And he's not available...

not available ? what are you talking about here ?

every player is available if the price is right - it's an open market like anything else

for example:

1.) Boney was 'available' last season because Man City met Swansea's valuation. He was probably not 'available' at a lower price.

2) Bale was 'available' because Madrid met ENIC's valuation.

3) Keane signed a new Spurs contract in May 2008 but was 'available' to join Liverpool 3 months later because Liverpool met ENIC's valuation

its not complicated

not available ? what are you talking about here ?

every player is available if the price is right - it's an open market like anything else

for example:

1.) Boney was 'available' last season because Man City met Swansea's valuation. He was probably not 'available' at a lower price.

2) Bale was 'available' because Madrid met ENIC's valuation.

3) Keane signed a new Spurs contract in May 2008 but was 'available' to join Liverpool 3 months later because Liverpool met ENIC's valuation

its not complicated

Ok so let me get this straight. You want to buy a player who joined his club in the summer and has said nothing about wanting to leave, from a club which is extremely happy with their free signing, isn't in financial difficulty and has him on a long contract.

And you want to pay way over the odds for him.

And you want to buy him to cover for a position which he doesn't play.

I think you should be the next manager of Newcastle.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭seamie78

poch wont buy a player just for the sake of it, look at the berahinho saga in august if they cant get the player they want they wont get anybody and tbh thats the way it should be, can see another attempt for berahino in jan

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

seamie78 wrote: »
    can see another attempt for berahino in jan

Hopefully not at the price they were talking about in the summer.

Hopefully not at the price they were talking about in the summer.

Yeah I hope we've come to our senses about him, he doesn't seem at all the kind of player Poch would want.

Then again maybe he could turn him around, he has a bit of talent.

• Advertisement

in related news - I see Gary Monk got the boot this afternoon

Ok so let me get this straight. You want to buy a player who joined his club in the summer and has said nothing about wanting to leave, from a club which is extremely happy with their free signing, isn't in financial difficulty and has him on a long contract.

And you want to pay way over the odds for him.

And you want to buy him to cover for a position which he doesn't play.

I think you should be the next manager of Newcastle.

I think Spurs should buy players

a) that improve us
    and
    b) we can afford

the lad at Swansea meets these criteria in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NomadicGray

Even buying someone in Jan, theres a chance they'll have to work hard in training for an extended period to fit in to Pochs system before even seeing them on the pitch.

in related news - I see Gary Monk got the boot this afternoon

Open season on their players so...

Ormus wrote:
    He joined a Spanish non-league team coached by his brother.

So what you are saying is that he's available? ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NomadicGray

So what you are saying is that he's available? ?

Most likely that he turned to complete ****e

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Left Back on the Bench

the lad at Swansea meets these criteria in my opinion

We'd probably need about £25 million for ayew and supposedly he's on £120k a week as he was signed on a free so I'd say we can't afford him.

Most likely that he turned to complete ****e

Probably. In fairness, he had awful ankle injuries. Not sure if there were other contributing factors.

We'd probably need about £25 million for ayew and supposedly he's on £120k a week as he was signed on a free so I'd say we can't afford him.

of course we can - most profitable club in Europe

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Left Back on the Bench

of course we can - most profitable club in Europe

We've a wage cap so hardly gonna pay those sort of wages.

• Advertisement

We've a wage cap so hardly gonna pay those sort of wages.

there's ways around these things - large signing on fee + lower wage package

I'm not sure why we have a wage cap to be honest - we're one of the richest clubs in the world - but I guess that's a debate that never ends and I don't have the time or energy to go round and round on that one again and bore everyone to death.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Thank goodness.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭slegs

Liverpool under Klopp as average as they were under Rodgers
    Man United in free fall with LVG practically guaranteed to get the sack
    Chelsea too far off the pace
    Even Man City and Arsenal look wobbly at times
    Leicester are the only team who look genuinely intimidating

If we don't get top four it will be a travesty but this is Spurs so it's practically certain to go to last day of season with four teams in the hunt for the final CL spot

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

slegs wrote: »
    Liverpool under Klopp as average as they were under Rodgers
    Man United in free fall with LVG practically guaranteed to get the sack
    Chelsea too far off the pace
    Even Man City and Arsenal look wobbly at times
    Leicester are the only team who look genuinely intimidating

If we don't get top four it will be a travesty but this is Spurs so it's practically certain to go to last day of season with four teams in the hunt for the final CL spot

Chelsea have a new manager and are 11 points off 4th. Not massively off pace.

Man United are level on points with us.

Arsenal have been looking good most of the season and would be in with a title shout as much as I dont like them.

Man City is too hard to say.

Leicester who knows.

Liverpool have looked alright but Watford seem to be in good form too.

Who really knows what's going to happen to be honest its a good shout for us to finish top 4 this season but the second half will see whether our sides fitness is really there or not. Our players are being stretched imo. Could be looking at tired legs coming into the last 6 games of the season or we could be the fittest, who knows.

Alot of football to go.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Arsenal and City will be 1st and 2nd (not sure in which order though). I think Leicester will drop down, and be fighting with us and a few others for the last two spots though. They will struggle massively if Vardy or Mahrez get injured, just like we will if Kane gets injured.

Overall, it's a pretty awful league this year. Entertaining, but pretty bad.

I like the table at the moment though. 8 points better off then last year, 3rd best goals scored, joint 2nd for goals against. Our defence has improved massively from last year.

r18OOwN.png

Kiith wrote: »
    Arsenal and City will be 1st and 2nd (not sure in which order though). I think Leicester will drop down, and be fighting with us and a few others for the last two spots though. They will struggle massively if Vardy or Mahrez get injured, just like we will if Kane gets injured.

Overall, it's a pretty awful league this year. Entertaining, but pretty bad.

I don't think it's an awful league at all this year. I think there are a lack of outstanding teams, but the talent is spread more evenly.

The likes of Palace, Stoke and of course Leicester have played some great football this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

I don't think it's an awful league at all this year. I think there are a lack of outstanding teams, but the talent is spread more evenly.

The likes of Palace, Stoke and of course Leicester have played some great football this season.

Exactly, the PL has been gradually balancing out economically over the last five years. If this was the PL from 10 years ago Kane would be banging in hat-tricks for ManU every week with the fantastic service he would be getting from Bale and Modric. Kane would be licking his lips at the the thought of Mahrez coming in January and pretending not to be concerned about the impending arrival of Vardy.

Looking at he league so far I am thrilled with the way things have gone. There are a couple of things stopping the team from going to the next level. Walker is still flaky at full back and the team is way too dependant on Kane for goals. A couple of 4 goal returns is disguising the fact that not enough goals are being scored. I am not convinced that 'somebody to put pressure on Kane' is the answer, I think the problem is the forward midfielders are not scoring enough (mainly Lamela and Ericson).

It is not for the want of trying or opportunities from those player. For this season I would definitely not be bringing in anyone in January. You just don't get an extra special player in the January window and the Monaco game showed there is enough talent on the fringe of the first team to sustain a challenge this year, particularly when Leicester, Arsenal, Utd and Palace have to come to WHL. Bringing in someone who is marginal might only upset the balance and harmony that seems to exist. Also I do not believe in jinxs so there has to be some good end of season fortune awaiting Spurs after the pasta fiasco, Chelsea fluking the CL and the Boaz Myhill comedy show versus the Gooners.

Are there any decent youth strikers that could be brought up and given a go? I know Onomah has had a few appearances, but he's more of an attacking midfielder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

Kiith wrote: »
    Are there any decent youth strikers that could be brought up and given a go? I know Onomah has had a few appearances, but he's more of an attacking midfielder.

Son should be getting more game time. The role Kane plays takes an awful lot out of him and I don't think we have seen enough of Son. N'jie is out for a few months so there is scope for a third striker, I just don't know who. Anyone who thinks there should be a loosening of the purse strings should be just reminded of Soldado (and Di Maria, and Falcao etc etc).

Are there any Berbatovs left in the Bundesliga? Sky showed his scoring five for Utd against Blackburn over the weekend. Different class. Speaking of scoring midfielders (previous post) , one player I always liked was Andre Schurrle. His all action style would fit right into the Spurs midfield and he has previous PL experience when I thought he deserved way more playing time with Chelsea. He is probably too expensive for Levy's taste though.

Advertisement