Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where will we finish ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I still think Leicester will run out of steam. The problem is they have done so well that they will probably have done enough to be chasing 4th come May.

I don't see anyone at the moment who could run away with the league so if we keep going the way we're going and everyone else stays ****e you never know come may we could be in with a shout of 3rd 4th. Someone is surely going to go on a post Christmas run and pull away from the pack.

I'd genuinely fear united if Jose jumps in. It will no doubt all go tits up within a few years but you can't deny the immediate effect he'd have on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

Deise Vu wrote: »
    Exactly, the PL has been gradually balancing out economically over the last five years. If this was the PL from 10 years ago Kane would be banging in hat-tricks for ManU every week with the fantastic service he would be getting from Bale and Modric. Kane would be licking his lips at the the thought of Mahrez coming in January and pretending not to be concerned about the impending arrival of Vardy.

Looking at he league so far I am thrilled with the way things have gone. There are a couple of things stopping the team from going to the next level. Walker is still flaky at full back and the team is way too dependant on Kane for goals. A couple of 4 goal returns is disguising the fact that not enough goals are being scored. I am not convinced that 'somebody to put pressure on Kane' is the answer, I think the problem is the forward midfielders are not scoring enough (mainly Lamela and Ericson).

It is not for the want of trying or opportunities from those player. For this season I would definitely not be bringing in anyone in January. You just don't get an extra special player in the January window and the Monaco game showed there is enough talent on the fringe of the first team to sustain a challenge this year, particularly when Leicester, Arsenal, Utd and Palace have to come to WHL. Bringing in someone who is marginal might only upset the balance and harmony that seems to exist. Also I do not believe in jinxs so there has to be some good end of season fortune awaiting Spurs after the pasta fiasco, Chelsea fluking the CL and the Boaz Myhill comedy show versus the Gooners.

Very well said

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I actually forgot about Son. Looking forward to seeing him get a good run out.

I see Poch and Chadli have been in the press saying we're not getting enough credit and shouldn't be ruled out of the title race.

I don't see what's to be gained from this kinda talk. Most clubs try to play down their title chances. Leicester are still talking about avoiding relegation. Spurs always seem to get ahead of themselves.

It's great to have belief, but keep quiet about it.

I disagree, while I can see why Ranerei is saying 40 points is the target and all that craic I think unless behind closed doors he is saying other it's counter productive. Do you think the likes of Marhez wants to hear how he plays for a team where 40 points is a good season. He wants to be challenging for the title (like every player I assume)

Harry was also at that ****e too when we were doing well. I reckon 2 wins from 1st by close of play on the 28th (which we will be at least if we win both games) let us call ourselves title challengers if we want. Of course I don't think we will be come May but while the going is good embrace that ****

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NomadicGray

Ormus wrote: »
    I see Poch and Chadli have been in the press saying we're not getting enough credit and shouldn't be ruled out of the title race.

I don't see what's to be gained from this kinda talk. Most clubs try to play down their title chances. Leicester are still talking about avoiding relegation. Spurs always seem to get ahead of themselves.

It's great to have belief, but keep quiet about it.

I agree with you. Maybe its part of some plan to help convince someone to join in January, no idea. Seems kind of against the usual things Poch talks about.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

It's to build a winning mentality, build an expectation that we are winners, and get rid of that "very Spursy" saying that our own fanbase regularly fall back on

ziedth wrote: »
    I disagree, while I can see why Ranerei is saying 40 points is the target and all that craic I think unless behind closed doors he is saying other it's counter productive. Do you think the likes of Marhez wants to hear how he plays for a team where 40 points is a good season. He wants to be challenging for the title (like every player I assume)

Harry was also at that ****e too when we were doing well. I reckon 2 wins from 1st by close of play on the 28th (which we will be at least if we win both games) let us call ourselves title challengers if we want. Of course I don't think we will be come May but while the going is good embrace that ****

Fair enough. I think we need an underdog mentality more than a superiority complex.

Talk is cheap. Real title challengers don't need to ask the press to give them more credit.

I know it's important to have a winning mentality, but there's a thin line between confidence and complacency.

I used to hate when we'd have a good start to a season and our players would start telling the press that we're now bigger and better than Arsenal, then by the end of the season Arsenal would be ten points ahead of us. We should do our talking on the pitch.

To be fair digs at Arsenal while ahead we're cringey out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

To be fair digs at Arsenal while ahead we're cringey out

I for one hope they win the premiership this year so Wenger can put his feet up, see how they like instability for a while :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Leicester and Man City drawing is good for us.

Meaning we drop to fourth, 1 point behind City and 4 off leaders Arsenal and Leicester. We were 8 points off Leicester only a few weeks ago.

With us meeting Leicester in mid January it could come at the ideal time. They're starting to drop points and we're IMO the form team in the league. Its imperative we start pushing Leicester down the table a bit allowing us to slot into a three team title race (there.. I said it.. We're doomed).

Crystal Palace are not going to last the distance to keep up with the pack. Liverpool dont look to have the ability to mount a challenge but who knows what Klopp can do. Man United could turn in a great second half season. So from what I see we've got a big shout for a minimum top 4.

I dont want us to sign a player like Berahino mid way through a season. We dont need a troublemaker coming into a very strong and unified side in the middle of arguably our best campaign since the infamous Mind the Gap cock up. The only thing pulling me towards him is that any young English player will want to perform so close to a major tournament. I just dont know if he'll be up for it.

Oh if only we could steal Vardy.

Anyone fancy us for a close third this year with most likely an Arsenal league title?

Arsenal
    City
    Spurs
    Liverpool or Lecister

Is my pick for tip 4. I genuinely think that top 3 could be interchangeable going on current form.

As of tonight I'm looking at the teams above us and hoping they drop points, our next 6 games are:

Everton a
    Lecister h
    Sunderland h
    Palace a
    Norwich a
    Watford h

Al 6 games that we could win but equally drop points. 0-9 points is a disaster, 10-11I'd be happy with 12-14 is great going and 15+ I'll begin to believe in the impossible .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

Il take 1st or 4th. Or some here in between.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Second,probably miss out on the title by a couple of points,spursy;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,732 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

tippspur wrote:
    Second,probably miss out on the title by a couple of points,spursy

Like the points we dropped in the first 2 or 3 games that a lot of ppl in here was very dismissive of at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭slegs

Like the points we dropped in the first 2 or 3 games that a lot of ppl in here was very dismissive of at the time.

You could say we were blessed to get 3 points v Watford. I think it all balances out over a year and you mostly get what you deserve.

slegs wrote: »
    You could say we were blessed to get 3 points v Watford. I think it all balances out over a year and you mostly get what you deserve.

More than blessed. Son was offside. You win some you lose some.

I find it hard to believe people are finding something to complain about on here. If we do finish within points of winning the league it'll be our most successful season since the PL formed. Never mind a few dropped points here and there. Nobody on here would have dreamt back in pre-season we'd be having this discussion right now.

irishmover wrote: »
    More than blessed. Son was offside. You win some you lose some.

I find it hard to believe people are finding something to complain about on here. If we do finish within points of winning the league it'll be our most successful season since the PL formed. Never mind a few dropped points here and there. Nobody on here would have dreamt back in pre-season we'd be having this discussion right now.

Exactly. In a full league season, it's always a matter of how many points you drop. This season we've drawn a lot of games we would have lost last season and won a lot of games we would have drawn last season.

I see Kompany is out for another month for City. These are the kind of things which make our title chances closer to realistic. Then again maybe Dembele will be out for us.

I still think we're looking at a three way battle between Liverpool and United for 3rd and 4th, but it's been such a weird season that there could be a shock winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

.As of tonight I'm looking at the teams above us and hoping they drop points, our next 6 games are:

Everton a
    Lecister h
    Sunderland h
    Palace a
    Norwich a
    Watford h

Al 6 games that we could win but equally drop points. 0-9 points is a disaster, 10-11I'd be happy with 12-14 is great going and 15+ I'll begin to believe in the impossible .

A realistic average of two points per game will see us still in the title hunt after those 6 matches.

Three wins and three draws in any order would be delightful!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

A realistic average of two points per game will see us still in the title hunt after those 6 matches.

Three wins and three draws in any order would be delightful!

One game at a time lads, one game at a time :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭slegs

Everton will be a tough game but if we could win that it could open up for us a bit looking at the next games...

Despite the terrible loss to Leicester, we're a point closer to the lead than we were at the start of the week. Strange how it works.

It's actually mad. The thing is though with 3 of the old "big 4" currently dirt if we're not challenging for third in May it's bag going. Exciting times

Ormus wrote: »
    Despite the terrible loss to Leicester, we're a point closer to the lead than we were at the start of the week. Strange how it works.

After each of our losses we've gone on unbeaten runs too with some decent wins aswell. Fingers crossed we can get 3 wins out of the next 4 games.

Another hammering against City will do nicely.

5 points off the lead. 5 points off fifth.

Norwich (a) 2-0 win
    Watford (h) 2-1 win
    City (a) 3-3 draw (seems to generally be a high scoring games)

7 points from 9 before the two Fiorentina games would do.

KingdomYid wrote: »
    One game at a time lads, one game at a time :)

Am just going to quote myself from a month ago :)

So a thread entitled where will we finish with a prediction in it that impacts where we will finish is not allowed now?

Might aswell close this thread then if people are only allowed talk about 1 game at a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭richardjjd

I'd be confident of 3rd. Over the last few years, we've always done better in the first 2/3 of the league (up to game 23) than we've done in the last 15 games - one exception was 2012/13 when we finished stronger than we started (only lost two games in the second half of the season).

I think with the fitness and strength of the squad, we'll do that again - we'll go on a great run between now and season end and finish up with 74/75 points...

After 23 games
    2009/10: 5th / 43 points - 1.9 points per game (finished 4th / 70 points - 1.8 points average for last 15 games)
    2010/11: 5th / 41 points - 1.8 points per game (finished 5th / 62 points - 1.4 points average for last 15 games)
    2011/12: 3rd / 49 points - 2.1 points per game (finished 4th / 69 points - 1.3 points average for last 15 games)
    2012/13: 4th / 41 points - 1.8 points per game (finished 5th / 72 points - 2.0 points average for last 15 games)
    2013/14: 5th / 43 points - 1.9 points per game (finished 6th / 69 points - 1.7 points average for last 15 games)
    2014/15: 6th / 40 points - 1.7 points per game (finished 5th / 64 points - 1.6 points average for last 15 games)
    2015/16: 4th / 42 points - 1.8 points per game

irishmover wrote: »
    So a thread entitled where will we finish with a prediction in it that impacts where we will finish is not allowed now?

Might aswell close this thread then if people are only allowed talk about 1 game at a time.

Ah come on now I was not having a go , fair enough it is a prediction thread and I should have refrained from posting as I don't like to look too far ahead. My apologies :)

• Advertisement

I still reckon The Leicester train will go off the rails a little bit in terms of the league anyway but I feel they have done enough to compete for 4th.

I really think we should be getting thrid this year with the horror show that is Chelsea, United's glorious implosion and Klopp's Liverpool probably a season away from being top 3.

Advertisement