Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where will we finish ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

ziedth wrote: »
    I still reckon The Leicester train will go off the rails a little bit in terms of the league anyway but I feel they have done enough to compete for 4th.

I really think we should be getting thrid this year with the horror show that is Chelsea, United's glorious implosion and Klopp's Liverpool probably a season away from being top 3.

Leicester have no complications 15 games left, all 15 in the premier league. We could play up to another 29 between League, FA Cup and Europa, obviously similar applies to the other teams still in the hunt.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

In fairness , this week is the perfect opportunity to give some guys a few days off, not sure if it's what he'll do but we can easily do it if we want. Colchester should be straightforward we hope and then it's Norwich on Tuesday, so the likes of Kane, dier, Toby etc should be looked after. Soon enough we won't have many weeks off so let's use them while we can.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭yiddo59

3rd and a cup!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

1st

• Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭slegs

Best chance ever of first. Arsenal and Man City are no world beaters as can be seen over last few weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Leicesters next three games are Liverpool, City and Arsenal I think. It'll be a very interesting looking table in a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

Conceding an own goal away to Palace in the past and heads would have gone down. Not with this team. Also, Walker was playing well but still with the occasional brain-fart so Trippier was given a chance and now Kane gets better deliveries from the right hand side. Lamela was given more chances than Charlie Haughey, and was putting in a shift but there was not enough end product so Son & now Chadli get an opportunity and grasp it. I am a long, long, long time fan and have had more unforeseen setbacks than Sean Bean but I am getting a sneaky suspicion that this year will be our highest finish since I was an optimistic chiseler star-struck by Chivers and Peters.

I am not saying Spurs will win, I think as the season end begins to loom, the glory-hunters and good-time Charlies at City and Arsenal will become more focussed and less careless (Jesus if I had Touré playing for my pub league team he would get a kick up the hole every five minutes), but there is enough character, talent and depth to the current squad to sustain a decent challenge until the end of the season and then we will see if City and the Gunners can match it (not forgetting Leicester have only 15 matches left!)

2nd or 3rd for me, 1st is a distinct possibility but I am not letting myself even think that or Norwich will put 5 past us next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

ziedth wrote: »

As of tonight I'm looking at the teams above us and hoping they drop points, our next 6 games are:

Everton a
    Lecister h
    Sunderland h
    Palace a
    Norwich a
    Watford h

Al 6 games that we could win but equally drop points. 0-9 points is a disaster, 10-11I'd be happy with 12-14 is great going and 15+ I'll begin to believe in the impossible.
    A realistic average of two points per game will see us still in the title hunt after those 6 matches.

Three wins and three draws in any order would be delightful!

So far from those 6 games we have 7 points from 4 matches, just under the two point average we need to be aiming for... realistically we need to beat Norwich and Watford to stay right in there.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

If we've not beating Norwich and Watford, we don't deserve to be challenging.

A lot of people in work today have started talking seriously about Spurs as title challengers now. Some of them still expect us to fall away as we have done before, but there's less then usual. Obviously i'd love us still to be fighting for first come the end of the season, but we should be nailed in for he top 4 now anyway, unless something disastrous happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

There is only 5 points between us and Man United. Nothing disastrous needs to happen. We've gained 5 points on Arsenal in two games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,732 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Paddy power odds yesterday where Leicester 8/1 to win the title and Spurs 9/1

I won't be backing either but potentially having 10+ more games to play then them between now and the end of the season is worrying even if we do have more strength in depth.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

irishmover wrote: »
    There is only 5 points between us and Man United. Nothing disastrous needs to happen. We've gained 5 points on Arsenal in two games.

Given our form, the lack of quality from Utd and Chelsea, and the strength of our squad, not getting top 4 now would be disastrous imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

Kiith wrote: »
    Given our form, the lack of quality from Utd and Chelsea, and the strength of our squad, not getting top 4 now would be disastrous imo.

It'd certainly be disappointing, but it could easily happen.

United have enough quality if they click to put together a run of 5 wins in a row, and that could be all it takes to catch us. They could be ahead of us by the end of February let alone May.

I'd say we have almost as good a chance of finishing ahead of United as we have of finishing ahead of Leicester.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

I can't stop looking at our goal difference and thinking I'm in a dream. We're one of only three teams to have scored more than 40 goals and we're the only team to have conceded fewer than 20.

I've read it fifty times. What am I missing?!! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NomadicGray

I can't stop looking at our goal difference and thinking I'm in a dream. We're one of only three teams to have scored more than 40 goals and we're the only team to have conceded fewer than 20.

I've read it fifty times. What am I missing?!! :cool:
    It could have easily been the same number with a minus in front of it over the last few seasons

Ormus wrote:
    It'd certainly be disappointing, but it could easily happen.

Have to agree.

We look a more solid unit this season but I think we still have at least one more Newcastle or Leicester style result in us this season, not to mention games against Arsenal, United, City and Chelsea to go.
    Ormus wrote:
    United have enough quality if they click to put together a run of 5 wins in a row, and that could be all it takes to catch us. They could be ahead of us by the end of February let alone May.

I'd be even more worried if LVG gets the chop. The new manager bounce effect could set them up for a grandstand finish to the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I really think it'll be Giggs to the end of the Season if Van Gaal does indeed get the chop. Do you think Jose or anyone worth their salt will come in with 14 games to go when they can start fresh in the summer.

I would also worry about them. I'd actually be heart broken if they pipped us.

United are having an awful season. They're 5 points behind us. There is far and away enough games left for them to get their act together and overtake us.

We've got alot of games remaining with the spine of the side having played the majority of our games this season. Whose to say we won't have a couple of key players injured.

The side needs to continue this form or improve on it for the remainder of the season which is not an easy task for the youngest side in the league.

ziedth wrote:
    I really think it'll be Giggs to the end of the Season if Van Gaal does indeed get the chop. Do you think Jose or anyone worth their salt will come in with 14 games to go when they can start fresh in the summer.

ziedth wrote:
    I would also worry about them. I'd actually be heart broken if they pipped us.

Imagine we finished 4th and United won the EL (or worse Liverpool )

God, I'm sick to the pit of my stomach just rereading that.

Imagine we finished 4th and United won the EL (or worse Liverpool )

God, I'm sick to the pit of my stomach just rereading that.

I think the rules have changed. That can't happen again, right?

• Advertisement

I thought uefa moved to clarify the situation after the last fiasco and that meant 4th place would lose out. I could be wrong.

I thought uefa moved to clarify the situation after the last fiasco and that meant 4th place would lose out. I could be wrong.

Nah I've seen it now. Maximum number of tea/s is 5 from one country.

So it would take ateam outside of top 4 to win the EL and another team outside top 4 to win CL. We're fine.

http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuropaleague/news/newsid=2137611.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

so is this when it all starts to resort to the usual... http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/490155/Tottenham-injury-news
    Just as I was starting to believe we may make a decent challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

so is this when it all starts to resort to the usual... http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/490155/Tottenham-injury-news

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Ive been through the ups and downs since the 70s. I know football is a completely different game to what it was in the 70s/80s/early 90s, but Spurs are Spurs!

Personally I think we are still lacking a little something, even though the fightback on Saturday was special. We have a mentality of dropping silly points and not taking advantage of other teams loosing.

With Chelsea and Man Utd struggling we should have the greatest chance to finish top 4 of higher.

I think though the end of the season may well be the same old Spurs!

5th place finish.

Don't forget we are still in Uefa cup and those Thursday night games kill us, even with squad rotation.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,917 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

snaps wrote: »
    Don't forget we are still in Uefa cup and those Thursday night games kill us, even with squad rotation.

I could be wide of the mark, but I don't think it's been evident this season. I think Newcastle was the only defeat?

Rarely do we progress far in this tournament, I see Fiorentina dumping us out in the next round.

We've gained 14 points this season from losing positions. The most out of anyone in the league.

These days we see to be no rollovers.

We've gained 14 points this season from losing positions. The most out of anyone in the league.

These days we seem to be no rollovers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

irishmover wrote: »

These days we see to be no rollovers.

I think we had that record the season before last too if memory serves me correctly, but on the rare occasion we do get turned over it's always "typical Spurs"

• Advertisement

so is this when it all starts to resort to the usual...

That's a kick in the teeth if true. I think we could deal with a 3-4 week absence with Wimmer but 10-12 weeks could be difficult.

We do have Dier as an option but I'd hate to lose him from midfield

Advertisement