Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where will we finish ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,917 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

No idea, enjoying the ride. It's Tottenham.

In the summer I asked for defenders, in walks Alderweireld, game changer.

Schneirderlin, ghostly season, I ridiculed Dier.

Those two players..outstanding.

Pochettino, one cool motherfúcker.

If Leicester implode, I fancy Arsenal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    In the summer I asked for defenders, in walks Alderweireld, game changer.

Schneirderlin, ghostly season, I ridiculed Dier.

Those two players..outstanding.

Pochettino, one cool motherfúcker.

I've come to trust Poch completely. Regardless of how this season goes, I just hope he sees out the next three years as agreed in his contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

I've come to trust Poch completely. Regardless of how this season goes, I just hope he sees out the next three years as agreed in his contract.

Yeah the better we do the more rumours there will be of bigger clubs wanting him. He wouldn't necessarily excel at a big club though. Spending tonnes of money might not be his forte.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Can we do it? I really dont think so. Its our biggest chance to win the PL but I don't think we'll have the experience to do it.

I still feel that either Arsenal or Man City will win. I dunno why. Would have to put Leicester favourites but I guess you just have to expect them to drop some points sooner or later.

Next weekend is the biggy. We'll know Sunday night just exactly where we sit. Would people want an Arsenal win, with us to win ofcourse. To cut the difference to 2 points? But it would potentially propel Arsenal into another spell of good form.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

irishmover wrote: »
    Can we do it? I really dont think so. Its our biggest chance to win the PL but I don't think we'll have the experience to do it.

I still feel that either Arsenal or Man City will win. I dunno why. Would have to put Leicester favourites but I guess you just have to expect them to drop some points sooner or later.

Next weekend is the biggy. We'll know Sunday night just exactly where we sit. Would people want an Arsenal win, with us to win ofcourse. To cut the difference to 2 points? But it would potentially propel Arsenal into another spell of good form.

It's a good question. Personally no, I'd prefer Leicester to win than Arsenal, although a draw would possibly be best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

You gotta be shouting for Leicester. I'd be more confident of Leicester loosing to the "easy" teams then Arsenal although I can't help start thinking of first over 4th at this stage

I have to say I really thought Liverpool, City and Arsenal would beat them and the heads would drop and fade away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NomadicGray

Thank you Costa!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

Thank you Costa!

Felt weird celebrating a Chelsea goal :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

KingdomYid wrote: »
    Felt weird celebrating a Chelsea goal :pac:

Durty

irishmover wrote: »

I would be looking for a Leicester win. If we don't win the league, I hope they do.
    The further space we can put between us and Arsenal the better!

• Advertisement

Yep, Leicester & Spurs for me, more worried about keeping distance with those behind than closing in on those in front.
    Id have taken 4th at the start of the season so id be more than delighted with 2nd now, especially if its Leicester in first

Yep, Leicester & Spurs for me, more worried about keeping distance with those behind than closing in on those in front.
    Id have taken 4th at the start of the season so id be more than delighted with 2nd now, especially if its Leicester in first

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

I think there's a realistic chance of anything from Champions to 5th, Champions if we stay injury free and we get a rub of the green, 5th if we were hit by some key injuries and fighting on the 3 fronts, FA Cup, Prem and Europa took its toll.

That said COYS! and tbh I'd have snapped hands off at the start of the season for Champions league footy next year from a 4th place finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

I'd take 4th now, still worried we'll feel it when the EL starts back, especially if we progress. The FA Cup is wide open too

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

A few months ago, i'd have said lets give the EL a good run and try to win it, as a top 4 finish might be beyond us. Now, i say play the reserves where possible, and absolutely focus on the PL. I suspect Poch will still play the likes of Kane, Dier and Alderweireld though, but hopefully our fitness levels are high enough for that not to be too big a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,760 ✭✭✭abff

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Having been a Spurs fan since 1967, I can understand your pessimism, but I wouldn't be as definite as that about 1st being out of the question. Hope springs eternal!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

Patww79 wrote: »
    1st is out of the question, but I'd still forget about the Europa as there's a good chance of top four there now.

Dont be afraid. Say you want it. Even if it doesn't happen. Say it!

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭larry1

Flores comments are a nice read too

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/feb/07/tottenham-hotspur-animal-watford-quique-sanchez-flores

"Watford manager says Spurs were ‘like animals there’ in 1-0 win"

• Advertisement

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/feb/07/tottenham-hotspur-animal-watford-quique-sanchez-flores

I had a weird feeling during the Watford game that Flores was going to come out afterwards and say we were the best team he's played all season. Gomes had some nice comments after the match too.

Other than the fact that we only won 1-0, I think Saturday was our most complete performance all season. For 90 minutes we absolutely bashed them. Normally during Spurs games I'm waiting for the other team to knick a goal but I didn't feel that way at all on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭richardjjd

Great blog post by Amy Lawrence in today's Guardian.

Snippets:
    The thing is, although nothing can match Leicester’s title bid for improbability, the scale of Tottenham’s achievement if their run continues to trukke trukke proportions would not be too far behind

and

Being slightly under the radar is a very useful place for Tottenham to be positioned.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2016/feb/08/tottenham-title-premier-league-leicester-city

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭richardjjd

And this had me absolutely giddy. Some incredible stats (I hadn't realised just how good our defence was (sixth best in Europe, according to this)).

http://www.football365.com/news/tottenham-the-title-races-other-fairytale-club

• Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭slegs

richardjjd wrote: »
    And this had me absolutely giddy. Some incredible stats (I hadn't realised just how good our defence was (sixth best in Europe, according to this)).

http://www.football365.com/news/tottenham-the-title-races-other-fairytale-club

The defensive solidity is almost totally attributable to the arrival of Alderweireld. He is Vertonghens soul mate and they should never be separated ( except when he gets injured and then we have Wimmer!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

slegs wrote: »
    The defensive solidity is almost totally attributable to the arrival of Alderweireld. He is Vertonghens soul mate and they should never be separated ( except when he gets injured and then we have Wimmer!)

His partnership with Wimmer seems rock solid too, maybe Vertongen might have to sit for a time before getting back in. Couldn't ask for a better situation the although I'd like to see a fourth right footed youngster getting a run in cup games but I'm sure Poch had that covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,527 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

5th

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭twilight_singer

TheCitizen wrote: »
    5th
    Lol, yeah because there are 4 better teams in the league than us! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I actually wouldn't rule out a collapse seeing as this is spurs we're talking about but I can't see united or Liverpool having 4 more wins then us in them this season. I'd be very very surprised if it was anything other them the current top 4 in any order.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭twilight_singer

ziedth wrote: »
    I actually wouldn't rule out a collapse seeing as this is spurs we're talking about but I can't see united or Liverpool having 4 more wins then us in them this season. I'd be very very surprised if it was anything other them the current top 4 in any order.

This is a very different Spurs and we all know it. In previous seasons where we looked good, like under Redknapp and AVB's 1st season we were prone to the odd capitulation, not so this season. The team is mentally strong and fit as f**k. Also seems to be a new culture at the club, Pouch has worked hard to rid us of the soft touch mentality. Been supporting spurs since 1989 and its by far and away the best Spurs side I've seen. We will get top 4 easily. Whether we win it or not is up for debate, NLD will be huge. COYS!

Advertisement