Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where will we finish ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,760 ✭✭✭abff

Seriously ( really seriously p*ssed off at tonight's result) but wtf. Let's kick on and finish ahead of the gooners and it will have exceeðed expectations.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

We'll still finish 2nd.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Anything other then a win against Chelsea and i'll be very worried.

Kiith wrote: »
    Anything other then a win against Chelsea and i'll be very worried.

Arsenal and City play each other. A draw and 2nd is as good as sealed for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,639 ✭✭✭Glebee

Whats the bets that Man Utd beat Leicester....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

Glebee wrote: »
    Whats the bets that Man Utd beat Leicester....

Everyone of Leicester's players would have grown up in an era when Utd were one of the top teams in Europe. It is incredible that they can go their and win the league against a clearly inferior team. Not just a team playing badly but with inferior players. Leicester will murder them (possibly literally!) and God luck to them, they rode their luck at times but when it counted they dug out the wins.

All I hope now is that our lads finish on the up. It would be very easy for heads to drop after a long season where Thursday night football and crazy TV scheduling had them chasing from week 1. They deserve to finish second but they have some tough fixtures to get there. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that Chelsea would love to send a message that order will be restored next year so it is still important to dig in even if the league is lost and send them the message that Spurs are going nowhere.

Still disgusted with that result. We should be good enough to beat West Brom at home, regardless of what kind of game they play. Poch needs to make sure the team gets their heads up, and refocus on Chelsea. Win that, and 2nd is all but assured. Lose that, and it will be a very nervy finish to what should have been a very enjoyable few games.

Kiith wrote: »
    Still disgusted with that result. We should be good enough to beat West Brom at home, regardless of what kind of game they play. Poch needs to make sure the team gets their heads up, and refocus on Chelsea. Win that, and 2nd is all but assured. Lose that, and it will be a very nervy finish to what should have been a very enjoyable few games.

No game is ever a given. We've been on a fantastic run. Unfortunately for us it's faultered when we needed to keep the momentum going. West Brom played out of their skin and got a result. It was a freak, they played like they were relegation candidates, if it was any of the big teams we were chasing they would have roled over.

Results like this are sometimes a blessing. Poch is still learning and I feel he is largely to blame for the result. He made substitions at the wrong time and was very reactive to West Brom's tactics along with a number of players buying right into the intimidation laid out by West Brom.

Let's hope he and the side learn from this because if we are to challenge next season these sorts of games will happen alot against the lower teams. It's a sign of what's to come IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,639 ✭✭✭Glebee

Last night was a massive disappointment alright in whats been a great season. If we had got the second goal it was game over but it never came and WBA were allowed back into it. Looking back over the results so far in the league its results like Newcastle beating us at home and drawing home and away with Everton that stand out a mile as missed chances

• Registered Users Posts: 4,659 ✭✭✭golfball37

Four points dropped against Arsenal will ultimately kill us, they had 10 men at WHL and we couldn't beat them, we murdered them for 75 mins at Osama's house but didn't win either.

Too many instances where failure to get the second goal up meant we dropped 2 points. Still its not over until they hand over the trophy. I just want to beat Chelsea now and see where it takes us. Even if Leicester wrap it up at OT I want us to do a number on Chelsea the following day.

For the record I am still saying its possible however unlikely.

• Advertisement

Not wanting to be negative, but the best result for us at OT may be a draw. It was still leave us with an outside chance of catching Leicester and would guarantee that we finish top 4, no matter what happens in our last three games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Martin567

abff wrote: »
    Not wanting to be negative, but the best result for us at OT may be a draw. It was still leave us with an outside chance of catching Leicester and would guarantee that we finish top 4, no matter what happens in our last three games.

That's definitely the insecurity of the long term Spurs fan talking. The worst of it is that I can well understand where you're coming from!

Most people were pessimistic of the chances of catching Leicester even before this weekend when only five points behind them. Yet we're still looking nervously over our shoulders at Man Utd who are 10 points behind Spurs!

Failure to get top 4 at this stage would involve Arsenal, City & Utd each getting maximum points from the remaining games while Spurs pick up no more than 1 point. Nothing that has happened all season so far would indicate that is very likely. Four points from the last three games will almost certainly guarantee second.

The frustrating thing is that victory last night, apart from keeping the pressure on Leicester, would have left us only two points away from securing second.

Martin567 wrote: »
    That's definitely the insecurity of the long term Spurs fan talking. The worst of it is that I can well understand where you're coming from!

Most people were pessimistic of the chances of catching Leicester even before this weekend when only five points behind them. Yet we're still looking nervously over our shoulders at Man Utd who are 10 points behind Spurs!

Failure to get top 4 at this stage would involve Arsenal, City & Utd each getting maximum points from the remaining games while Spurs pick up no more than 1 point. Nothing that has happened all season so far would indicate that is very likely. Four points from the last three games will almost certainly guarantee second.

The frustrating thing is that victory last night, apart from keeping the pressure on Leicester, would have left us only two points away from securing second.

I agree. But as a long standing and long suffering fan, I'm acutely aware of how often the fates seem to conspire against us. I still have nightmares about Chelsea's totally undeserved Champions League win that condemned us to another season of Thursday night purgatory.

So my nightmare scenario for this season is as follows:

We draw at home to Southampton and lose at Chelsea and Newcastle. United win their last four games to finish a point ahead of us with a vastly inferior goal difference. Arsenal win 2 and draw 1 of their last 3 games to finish 2nd, also a point ahead of us and with a vastly inferior goal difference. Man City finish 5th, but win the Champions League and Liverpool win the Europa League. Back to Thursday nights!:mad:

I know that's very unlikely, but I won't rest easy until we have guaranteed a top 3 spot. There's also a dream scenario. We win our last 3 games and Leicester lose at United and draw with Everton. And Chelsea, despite their best efforts to throw the game, somehow scrape a draw with Leicester.

I much prefer this second scenario!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,307 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

I was talking to an old mate from Leicester today, he said thry started to believe they could it after they beat us at our place.

If we finish in a Champions league spot, I would have bitten your hand of at the start of the season for it.

Especially with such a young team.

BUT I much prefer abff plan :D

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

If man city won the CL and finished 5thand Liverpool won the Europa cup, would that mean only top 2 is a CL place?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

If man city won the CL and finished 5th and Liverpool won the Europa cup, would that mean only top 2 is a CL place?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

snaps wrote: »
    If man city won the CL and finished 5th and Liverpool won the Europa cup, would that mean only top 2 is a CL place?

In that case I believe top 3 would get champs league.

So 5 teams from total from the EPL.

T-b0n3 wrote: »
    In that case I believe top 3 would get champs league.

So 5 teams from total from the EPL.

That's correct. If a team that doesn't qualify for next season's Champions League through their league position wins either the Champions League or the Europa League, they get into the Champions League and their country gets an extra spot.

However, a country cannot get more than one extra spot, so if both Man City and Liverpool win their competitions and City finish outside the top 4, then only the top 3 will qualify.

Deli is out for the rest of the season. Confirmed earlier today. He posted the below earlier, which hopefully will be true.

https://twitter.com/Dele_Alli/status/725719837666844673

Would really like a win at Chelsea.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Even if united won today it's too late in the day (I actually think united will win today).

Best we can hope for today really is get one more week of living the dream and pretty much cement 2nd.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

ziedth wrote: »
    Even if united won today it's too late in the day (I actually think united will win today).

Best we can hope for today really is get one more week of living the dream and pretty much cement 2nd.

Yeah even if United do us a favour, Everton will surely roll over.

1-0 united.

Ormus wrote: »
    Yeah even if United do us a favour, Everton will surely roll over.

I couldn't see them rolling over as such but they definitely won't get out of third gear unless maybe they go ahead or its 0-0 towards the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭prodsc

So, qualified for CL then!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NomadicGray

Yep, main task done. Any lower than second would be a disappointment though.
    But CL, thank ****

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭gar

Win on Monday and still in the hunt....

Bit too optimistic? :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NomadicGray

No, never too optimistic, especially with champions league being the worst we can get. Hope the lads keep their cool and do the job. No alli might be a blessing as he would surely have reacted to the type of **** Chelsea will get up to tomorrow

• Advertisement

If I felt disappointed today with Lecister not loosing it cheers me up to think at least we're not City today

Advertisement