Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mind Yourself All Ireland Run for Your County 5k and 10k

Options
  • 20-08-2013 10:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭

By entering the Mind Yourself All Ireland Run for Your County 5k and 10k you can prove that it’s never too late to represent your county and win an All-Ireland. And the best thing of all is that you will be getting fit and raising funds for Mind Yourself as well.

The race concept is fun and simple. Register yourself on the race website,nominate the county you are running for, get training. Pull on your county colours and then run, jog or walk 5kor 10k[or 2kif you’re under 12]. The county with the best average time will win, so it could even be Louth or Leitrim rather than the usual contenders! Log onto the event Facebook page to stay in touch and let us know how your training is progressing https://www.facebook.com/allirelandrun

Non Irish Participants: We know that people are Irish in spirit as well as by birth and descent so for this occasion we’ve created some honorary counties i.e. Co London, Co GB, County USA, and County Rest of the World.

Mind Yourself works to improve the health and well-being of Irish people in London. Based in Angel in Islington they work throughout London providing health related advice and support, and holding events aimed at improving well-being. To find out more about their work click here www.mind-yourself.co.uk

Probably going to enter this! Mind Yourself seem like a great charity to raise a bit of money for.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭maggiep2010

Was just about to posta link to this!!
    Sounds like it will be great crack... give me a chance to redeem the Cats fortunes this season!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭maggiep2010

going to bump this thread, got email today to say Maeve Higgins is going to start the fun run on the day!!

see below for details:

Just to let you all know we have some fun times happening at our All Ireland 5km and 10km. I have also attached our new ‘Adopt Ireland For A Day’ poster. If you have notice boards, email lists, newsletters that you could send this round in it would be much appreciated. We are recruiting for all counties – Irish, County London, GB, USA and the Rest of the World – so anyone up for the challenge should sign up here: http://www.innovationsports.co.uk/races/mind-yourself-fun-run-2013.html

Maeve Higgins is Official Starter for All Ireland Run For Your County

Mind Yourself are delighted to announce that Irish Comedienne, Author and Actress will be the official starter at the All Ireland Run for Your County 5k and 10k. The event is taking place on 20th October on Clapham Common, and will begin with a 2k for kids so there will be fun for all the family.

Claire Barry Director of Mind Yourself said “There is no truth in the rumour that Maeve Higgins and Sonia O Sullivan are taking part in a race off for title of Corks fastest woman. We’re delighted that Maeve has agreed to come along and get the run started with her very particular brand of dry wit so we wouldn’t want actual running to interfere with Maeve’s training to sound the starting bell.”

So far the registrations are dominated by women by 4:1 and by western counties. But there is still plenty of time for Dubs and the boys to get signed up. If you’re wondering whether you are up to 5k it’s definitely not too late, as there are plenty of “couch potato to 5k in 6 weeks” training plans available. And of course no reason why you can’t walk the route.

The concept is simple. Log onto the Mind Yourself website to find a registration link, nominate the county you’re running for, get training, pull on your county colours and then run, jog or walk 5k or 10k. The county with the best average time will win, so it could even be Louth or Leitrim rather than the usual contenders!

As well as encouraging people to get active and healthy the event will raise valuable funds for Mind Yourself, which is working to improve the health of Irish people in London. It costs £15 to enter the 5k run, £25 to enter the 10k event and £5 for the kids 2k run. If people want to raise more funds then this will be welcome also.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭ClashCityRocker

As I mentioned in the Good Irish pubs thread I was in Waxy's for the hurling final on Sunday and they had put leaflets for this run on all the tables, I overhead a couple of people saying they would do it after reading the leaflets. They are certainly raising good awareness of this run, fingers crossed they get a good turnout. I'm running a marathon the week before this but if my legs are ok I'll give this a go, assuming they'll take entries on the day?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 howisshecuttin

I just signed up to this today. Might be more of a walk than a run even on the 5k! Sounds good though . . .I just want to win the trip to Ireland so hopefully some faster runners have signed up for Galway!

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭caesar

I did this, was a grand morning out, did the 10k. Thought there might be a few more doing it, I guess 200 odd wasn't bad.

• Advertisement
Advertisement