Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loose dog on estate

• 20-08-2013 10:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Hi guys just want a bit of advice.

On our estate is a large boxer, male and uncastrated. Normally he's out loose and is following and harrassing other dogs. Well he's been out since about 5am this morning and I've just walked my own dog only for it to take 40 minutes to get home because it kept following and trying to mate with my own male dog.
    I've got to the point where I've rang the dog warden out of frustration with it. I've now calmed down though and started thinking was this the right thing to do? I know it's owned by someone on the estate but it's always out without an owner and hassling people and other dogs. I asked a few people if they know who owns it but they don't seem to mind it straying and couldn't give me an answer. It's a nice enough dog but I get worried if it attacks/gets attacked by one of the other dogs or even gets hit by a car (I've seen it run down to the duel carriage way one or two times chasing cars).

So was I right to call the dog warden on it or should I just relax and let it go about it's business?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Yes, you were right. No dog should be allowed to roam. This boxer could cause an accident, or injure himself or another dog. Hopefully a visit from the warden will get the owner to cop on.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 bingie

Thanks for the reply.

I figured as much but as I calmed down I wondered if maybe I was just overreacting a little :)

It is a lovely dog and to be honest I'd hate to see anything bad happen to it. I know it's not the dogs fault at all and it's just doing what is natural to it.

Fingers crossed it helps the owner realise what they need to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

bingie wrote: »
    So was I right to call the dog warden on it or should I just relax and let it go about it's business?

The simple fact is, if this dog is out unaccompanied and the dog warden is in the area he will be picked up and impounded, end of story. When impounded the rightful owner has 5 days to reclaim him. If you call the warden, it will be the same scenario.

If this dog is likely to cause an accident/harrass other dogs etc then the "right" thing to do, if you can't locate the owner is to ring the warden. It all depends if you are comfortable knowing that it ends up impounded though.

If it was me i'd probably try and locate the owner first,even if it takes a bit of effort and have a "gentle" word explaining the likely outcome if the dog is seen wandering again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

anniehoo wrote: »
    The simple fact is, if this dog is out unaccompanied and the dog warden is in the area he will be picked up and impounded, end of story. When impounded the rightful owner has 5 days to reclaim him. If you call the warden, it will be the same scenario.

If this dog is likely to cause an accident/harrass other dogs etc then the "right" thing to do, if you can't locate the owner is to ring the warden. It all depends if you are comfortable knowing that it ends up impounded though.

If it was me i'd probably try and locate the owner first,even if it takes a bit of effort and have a "gentle" word explaining the likely outcome if the dog is seen wandering again.

No need to locate the owner - the owner knows the dog is loose. Report it as you have done and let the Warden contact the owner via its collar or chip.

I don't mind that the warden takes the dog. My only concern would be if they wanted to put the dog down as that's a little unfair in my eyes. I understand they might be overcrowded etc but it's not fair on the animal. I'd rather he be rehomed with someone who would actually take care of him. I'd take him in myself if my landlord would let me.

I guess what I'm really hoping for is to scare the owners a little into taking some responsibility for their dog. Why own the dog if you're just going to let is roam a housing estate scavenging for food and harrassing people? It's not fair on the dog or the people who make an effort to look after their own animals.

I'm waiting for a call back off the dog warden at the moment but not sure what he could do to find the owners as we only know roughly where they live and the dog isn't collared or tagged at all. I doubt he's microchipped either if a collar is too much. I might go out and find him in a bit to keep in my garden for when the warden shows up. Not sure if this is a good idea though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

I wouldn't recommend taking the dog into your property.

OK, reality check, if the dog ends up in the pound and the owners don't reclaim it within 5 days there is a very high chance the dog will be pts. It may be rehomed, but that depends which pound it ends up in, which rescues work with that pound etc. All rescues are full to bursting. However, that is not your problem, as harsh as it sounds, if the dog is in serious danger of being knocked down, it would be kinder for it to be pts in a pound than die slowly and in pain on the side of a road. Bloody owners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

My only concern would be if they wanted to put the dog down as that's a little unfair in my eyes..

Yeah, this is what I mean by if you're "comfortable" with it going to the Pound. It legally has 5 days to be reclaimed before the pound can put it to sleep. If it's not reclaimed and there is a rescue working out of/with the Pound it may get out for rehoming, but every Pound is different. It's your decision OP and I do understand your frustration but just be aware of the consequences of sending it to a Pound that's all. Not everyone reclaims their dog once it goes there.

I would rather run the chances of it getting rehomed or the owners coming forward and realising their mistake than letting it roam free and getting hit by a car or attacked. I feel a little harsh saying that because it's not the dogs fault at all but I think that would be for the best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

I would rather run the chances of it getting rehomed or the owners coming forward and realising their mistake than letting it roam free and getting hit by a car or attacked. I feel a little harsh saying that because it's not the dogs fault at all but I think that would be for the best.

I think you did the right thing OP and think the above is the right attitude to have, to be honest in my experience, owners like this don't suddenly change and go 'oh I didn't realise my dog wasn't allowed to roam, right I'm going to keep it in the house now and walk it on a lead myself' but that's just my experience! Hopefully your pound is one that works with a rescue and the dog will get a better home!

Fingers crossed. Thanks for the help guys :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

I really don't advocate going to the owner. He already knows the dog is loose and doesn't care. Also, if you later have to report it to the Warden he will know it was you, and in my experience people who don't give a shyt for their dog won't give a shyt for you either.

I believe you have done absolutely the correct thing, and if the dog is unfortunately destroyed it is not your fault, but that of the owner.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

It is entirely possible that the dog won't go to the pound at all, on this occasion at least. I suppose it depends on the warden, but around these here parts, the wardens find the owner and slap a fine on them, without ever seizing the dog. It's a more efficient way to maximise profits for the council!
    The dog may end up being seized, but this may not happen until the owner has had at least one warning and fine first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

If the dog warden seizes the dog, I'd let the owner know. A kind knock on their door to tell them you've noticed their dog isn't around and that you'd seen the warden's van in the area so maybe their dog is in the pound?

That gives them a chance to reclaim their dog and it'd also be a wake-up call for them.

I would contact the warden too, if it were me. The dog is running all kinds of risks being allowed to wander about by himself, including theft, claims by someone of being bitten, or he could be hit by a car or cause an accident. The owner needs a wake-up call, for the dog's sake.

Advertisement