Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internship in Griffith...

• 20-08-2013 10:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

First time posting... I studied in griffith previously but dropped out as it just wasnt for me. a combination of not been ready for college and general disgruntlement. since then ive gone on to study in both DIT and DCU and found it a world apart.

A family member was looking recenlty for internship and asked me about griffith. see this link http://www.gcd.ie/opportunities/

I was quite surprised looking at the job specs to see exam processes, invigilators, exam papers admin etc is been trusted on interns. this strikes me as a risk to the integrity of the process. correct me if im wrong.

Anyone have feedback on working in Griffith? my experience is lecturers love what they do but dislike the admin staff. i was stonewalled a few times too when i was there. is it worth looking at?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

I was quite surprised looking at the job specs to see exam processes, invigilators, exam papers admin etc is been trusted on interns. this strikes me as a risk to the integrity of the process. correct me if im wrong.

Integrity of the process would come from proper procedures, working regimes, etc. What your job title is, what you're being paid,etc shouldn't affect that persons ability to do a good job in the structure set down.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 CatGur

Honorary degrees =/! compromised exam process.....

Completely unrelated.

CruelCoin wrote: »
    Honorary degrees =/! compromised exam process.....

Completely unrelated.

Yes you are correct.

The honorary degree is not the issue. Its drawing a spurious association with Nobel prize winners that is the issue. Could such bad practice trickle down in an organisation? probably not.. but all the same.

but yes, unrelated in terms of exams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58 ✭✭TimotiSt

Back to the original question:

I'm in the IT Dept, and our interns usually like to work here. They don't just get photocopy-and-staple kind of tasks, but they won't get a full admin password for student records either... Other depts should be pretty much the same.
    We're a bit short on admin staff, which does put some tension between faculties and admins sometimes, but it's pretty much the same in every company (at least since 2008-9). We try to protect interns from that as much as possible.

Tamas

• Advertisement

TimotiSt wrote: »
    Back to the original question:

I'm in the IT Dept, and our interns usually like to work here. They don't just get photocopy-and-staple kind of tasks, but they won't get a full admin password for student records either... Other depts should be pretty much the same.
    We're a bit short on admin staff, which does put some tension between faculties and admins sometimes, but it's pretty much the same in every company (at least since 2008-9). We try to protect interns from that as much as possible.

Tamas

and can you guarantee that databases cant be easily downloaded or copied? Is all the information encrypted with an audit trail? even the biggest companies fall down here.

I see the internships if they can be called that are job bridge. IT intern looks to be ok. But how on earth is the assistant to the assistant of the chief who is expected to stay after office hours a beneficial internship???

CatGur wrote: »
    and can you guarantee that databases cant be easily downloaded or copied? Is all the information encrypted with an audit trail? even the biggest companies fall down here.

I see the internships if they can be called that are job bridge. IT intern looks to be ok. But how on earth is the assistant to the assistant of the chief who is expected to stay after office hours a beneficial internship???

How did this become an issue of employment ethics?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Watch what is said here and stay on topic

Advertisement