Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freesat receivers

Options
  • 20-08-2013 11:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭

Ok lads so im new to the idea of getting a satellite system and have talked to a few and bein made aware that theres a difference between freesat and free to air! :D

By the sounds of things freesat is the way to go and was just wondering if anyone could give me advice of a good satellite receiver? i heard someone previously say the Humax HDR-1000S Freesat+ HD Box (1TB w/FreeTime) was good but thats €300 or so for the receiver alone and just wondering is there are any cheaper or better alternatives to it and what makes it better if not?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,932 ✭✭✭✭listermint

• Registered Users Posts: 15,547 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Freesat+ (recorders) prices start at about £140

List of Freesat+ receivers can be seen here - http://www.joinfreesat.co.uk/ (rh column)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,609 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Freesat is really just an EPG and user interface that is over the top of free to air channels. It is easy to use, and auto updates when new channels come online.
    Plus you will often get a 7day or 8 day guide.

FTA boxes are generally cheaper but a lot less user friendly. They often have a poor EPG. Plus you might have to do a manual retune to pick up any new channels.

Go Freesat if you can.

I am selling this one at present.
    http://www.donedeal.co.uk/tv-for-sale/echostar-freesat-hd-digital-satellite/5504501

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Ronnie Raygun

LillySV wrote: »
    ... wondering is there are any cheaper or better alternatives to it and what makes it better if not?

Do I recall reading another thread by yourself & you have a tv with integrated Freesat tuner? Maybe you want extra tuners for recording?

btw: I'm not selling anything ;)

• Advertisement

NIMAN wrote: »
    Go Freesat if you can.

That is entirely dependent on their needs. To broad a statement to make. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

Do I recall reading another thread by yourself & you have a tv with integrated Freesat tuner? Maybe you want extra tuners for recording?

i have the samsung es7000 smart 3d led tv....that hasnt freesat in it does it??:o

listermint wrote: »
    That is entirely dependent on their needs. To broad a statement to make. ;)

As the OP is new to satallite I too would recommend going the Freesat route.

i have the samsung es7000 smart 3d led tv....that hasnt freesat in it does it??:o

no.

freeview.

The Cush wrote: »
    As the OP is new to satallite I too would recommend going the Freesat route.

I wouldnt pigeon hole anyone. Give them the information and let them make their own mind up.

• Advertisement

Looking at the spec here it has a DVB-S2 tuner, which is a satellite tuner.

The TV may have to be setup with UK set as the region to access Freesat otherwise it should store the normal FTA satellite channels.

BTW: do you have a satellite dish at the moment

no.

freeview.
    I wouldnt pigeon hole anyone. Give them the information and let them make their own mind up.

Making sure that information is accurate ;)

http://www.samsung.com/ie/consumer/tv-audio-video/television/led-tv/UE46ES7000UXXU-spec

thats my tv there...i went bananas buyin it cause got a great deal at the time...regret it now as it was still too much to pay on a tv! :D cause i have such a good tv though i want to get the most out of watchin it..eg good quality hd channels
    i really really am thick about satellite technology and whats channels i can get from each (i.e freesat,freeview,free to air)

Ive been with upc for years but cant afford to be payin for channels i could probably get free anyways!

Making sure that information is accurate ;)

Apologies, seen T2

Looking at the spec here it has a DVB-S2 tuner, which is a satellite tuner.

The TV may have to be setup with UK set as the region to access Freesat otherwise it should store the normal FTA satellite channels.

BTW: do you have a satellite dish at the moment

Do these TVs require an additional card for S2 ? I cant see an interface on the rear from their online pics. Also i have a 6800 which is also S2 and i dont recall the port on the back ?

seen here 4th image in

http://www.samsung.com/ie/consumer/tv-audio-video/television/led-tv/UE40ES6800UXXU-gallery

http://www.samsung.com/ie/consumer/tv-audio-video/television/led-tv/UE46ES7000UXXU-gallery

actually yours has the interface.

OP just hook a sat dish up to this and you will get signals. no need for additional box.

nice TV by the way.

Just bear in mind you wont get everything UPC has but alot of it (and its free)

http://www.samsung.com/ie/consumer/tv-audio-video/television/led-tv/UE46ES7000UXXU-gallery

actually yours has the interface.

OP just hook a sat dish up to this and you will get signals. no need for additional box.

nice TV by the way.

Just bear in mind you wont get everything UPC has but alot of it (and its free)

:eek: you mean i dont need any receiver!? what channels would i get? the ones on freesat?free to air? (my apologies for being so thick...i know lots about other topics, just not satellites!:D)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

You weren't long forgetting this thread.

I would think if the tv is set up using UK as country setting, you will get the Freesat EPG. Channels here.

Peter Rhea wrote: »
    You weren't long forgetting this thread.

I would think if the tv is set up using UK as country setting, you will get the Freesat EPG. Channels here.

oh my god i never copt that u said i had freesat built in!!i thought you said i had the saorview..and at the time of reading i was concentrating on what type of dish so had selective vision!my apologies and thanks!!i love this website!!
    i might get a receiver for a second tv but ill get a cheap free to air one i think...the second tv is a sony kdl32t3000..not sure if that would have the saorview built in?because it s only 720p would there be any point gettin a hd box?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

the second tv is a sony kdl32t3000..not sure if that would have the saorview built in?because it s only 720p would there be any point gettin a hd box?

It may do - it may not officially support Saorview but I'd imagine it should receive all the channels - only way is to try and tune them in.

• Advertisement

lads ye are heros! thanks a million!ive saved myself alot of money today!:D:D:D

on a final note ye know anywhere id pick up a solid dish and quad lnb for good money?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

i might get a receiver for a second tv but ill get a cheap free to air one i think...the second tv is a sony kdl32t3000..not sure if that would have the saorview built in?because it s only 720p would there be any point gettin a hd box?

That tv won't work with Saorview. Get a HD box: all the Saorview/satellite combis are HD anyway.

:eek: you mean i dont need any receiver!? what channels would i get? the ones on freesat?free to air?

Useful list of Freesat channels here - http://www.channelwiki.org/wiki/List_of_channels_on_Freesat_(UK)

I'm sure you're aware you'll require an aerial for the Saorview channels - http://www.channelwiki.org/wiki/List_of_channels_on_Saorview_(Ireland)

Peter Rhea wrote: »
    That tv won't work with Saorview. Get a HD box: all the Saorview/satellite combis are HD anyway.

sound, thanks

Useful list of Freesat channels here - http://www.channelwiki.org/wiki/List_of_channels_on_Freesat_(UK)

I'm sure you're aware you'll require an aerial for the Saorview channels - http://www.channelwiki.org/wiki/List_of_channels_on_Saorview_(Ireland)

thanks

I don't own a Samsung sat TV but I believe it can be a little bit of a chore switching between the Saorview channels and the Freesat channels. Someone here may be able to tell you how its done.

I don't own a Samsung sat TV but I believe it can be a little bit of a chore switching between the Saorview channels and the Freesat channels. Someone here may be able to tell you how its done.

sound, ill come back about that once i have up.thanks

another stupid question for ye..does the size of the dish matter?i see 60cm,80cm,90cm,110 cm dishes and just wonderin whats best?is there any lnbs better or they all the same

does the size of the dish matter?i see 60cm,80cm,90cm,110 cm dishes and just wonderin whats best?is there any lnbs better or they all the same

Depends where you're located, I installed a 60cm dish for my sister in Dublin last year - no problems reported since.

The further west you go an 80cm would be better.

LNBs are basically the same, go for a quad-output LNB (4 outputs). The TV will use 1 and you may decide to add a Freesat+ recorder in future requiring 2 LNB outputs and maybe a bedroom or kitchen feed.

If running new cables from the dish you could run 2 spare cables to the main room for a future PVR (recorder).

• Advertisement

Depends where you're located, I installed a 60cm dish for my sister in Dublin last year - no problems reported since.

The further west you go an 80cm would be better.

LNBs are basically the same, go for a quad-output LNB (4 outputs). The TV will use 1 and you may decide to add a Freesat+ recorder in future requiring 2 LNB outputs and maybe a bedroom or kitchen feed.

If running new cables from the dish you could run 2 spare cables to the main room for a future PVR (recorder).

im in galway so id wana get 80+ cm so, thanks

Advertisement