Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

advice needed to stop dogs barking

• 20-08-2013 11:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭

Hi we moved into a new place in the country a few months ago and my 2 dogs continue to bark everytime something goes past the wall, its getting silly now as they are barking at literally everything. The people walking past don't seem to worried but eventually somebody will not be happy, its a fairly low 2 1/2ft wall and they've never made any attempt to go over it and i really don't think they would but a bit like saying a child would never do something i'm reluctant to swear it :o

They go mad if a horse or a tractor pass. We bring them in everytime they bark and go mad at the wall hoping they'll realise its not good but months later this still isn't working. I'm worried that somebody will complain.

Any suggestions on how to stop them barking and going mad at the wall would be appreciated. Thanks

I should add they bark even if they can hear but not see anything so highering the wall wouldn't make much difference.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I would maybe go out with them and be their eyes and ears - so when something is coming that'll set them off distract them with really high value treats/praise/toys - whatever they love best. It'll take time but you want them to see that what you have is more intertesting than what's going on outside the garden and they should eventually not bother about it. BTW if the wall is low I'd raise it - to keep them in and keep anyone out who may try and bother them by leaning over etc or worse take them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Sounds to me that they are nervous about what's on the other side; have you brought them out there instead for them to see that there's nothing dangerous rather then lock them up inside?

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭kristian12

tk123 wrote: »
    I would maybe go out with them and be their eyes and ears - so when something is coming that'll set them off distract them with really high value treats/praise/toys - whatever they love best. It'll take time but you want them to see that what you have is more intertesting than what's going on outside the garden and they should eventually not bother about it. BTW if the wall is low I'd raise it - to keep them in and keep anyone out who may try and bother them by leaning over etc or worse take them.

Thanks i've been trying distration this week but i suppose it will take time, i can keep their attention until whatever it is comes into sight and then i might as well not exist :(

Raising the wall is not an option at the moment unfortunatly but planning permitting it will be done in the near future.
    Nody wrote: »
    Sounds to me that they are nervous about what's on the other side; have you brought them out there instead for them to see that there's nothing dangerous rather then lock them up inside?

Yes they've been up and down the lane twice a day and stand quite happily at the side of the road if a tractor passes. Never had a horse pass yet but they have seen them locally in the fields with no reaction. It seems to be anything within the vicinity of the house, even neighbours in their garden opposite.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Busygal

really simple: get a water pistol and every time they bark, sternly say STOP and squirt them right in the face, dogs hate getting a shot of water in the face, you may need to do it a few times but this should work!!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Busygal wrote: »
    really simple: get a water pistol and every time they bark, sternly say STOP and squirt them right in the face, dogs hate getting a shot of water in the face, you may need to do it a few times but this should work!!!

This advice is sailing very close to the wind regarding the charter rule that advising acts of cruelty is not permitted: squirting water "right in the face" is potentially harmful on a number of levels.
    Justification that "it works" are not sufficient.
    No more advice which involve unpleasant treatment of the dogs please, or action will be taken.
    Do not reply to this post on-thread, any comments to be made by pm only.
    Thanks,
    DBB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

kristian12 wrote: »
    Hi we moved into a new place in the country a few months ago and my 2 dogs continue to bark everytime something goes past the wall, its getting silly now as they are barking at literally everything. The people walking past don't seem to worried but eventually somebody will not be happy, its a fairly low 2 1/2ft wall and they've never made any attempt to go over it and i really don't think they would but a bit like saying a child would never do something i'm reluctant to swear it :o

They go mad if a horse or a tractor pass. We bring them in everytime they bark and go mad at the wall hoping they'll realise its not good but months later this still isn't working. I'm worried that somebody will complain.

Any suggestions on how to stop them barking and going mad at the wall would be appreciated. Thanks

I should add they bark even if they can hear but not see anything so highering the wall wouldn't make much difference.

Are they outside dogs, or house dogs?

I have a problem with my 'still thinks she's a puppy' dog, as in the morning she also barks at everything that passes by the window. One gentleman in particular receives a really good yap, even if her back is turned she'll know he's passing! But if my two were doing it outside I would bring them into the house, I don't know if this is an option for you?

Anyway I have started to try and stop mine from barking at all and sundry by distracting her with a happy voice. A sort of 'Hey look at this, instead' and it's beginning to work. I realised quite quickly that if I told her sternly to be quiet it only sounded to her like I was barking too and encouraging it!!

I find though, living in a rural area too, that most people aren't put off with a distant dog bark, particularly if it's sporadic. it's constant barking that can really annoy the neighbours.

Pretzill wrote: »
    Are they outside dogs, or house dogs?

I have a problem with my 'still thinks she's a puppy' dog, as in the morning she also barks at everything that passes by the window. One gentleman in particular receives a really good yap, even if her back is turned she'll know he's passing! But if my two were doing it outside I would bring them into the house, I don't know if this is an option for you?

Anyway I have started to try and stop mine from barking at all and sundry by distracting her with a happy voice. A sort of 'Hey look at this, instead' and it's beginning to work. I realised quite quickly that if I told her sternly to be quiet it only sounded to her like I was barking too and encouraging it!!

I find though, living in a rural area too, that most people aren't put off with a distant dog bark, particularly if it's sporadic. it's constant barking that can really annoy the neighbours.

They are house dogs but the door to the garden is open most of the day so they can go in and out as they please. I've spent the last few months bringing them in every time they bark but they just don't seem to learn. I will try the happy voice along with the distraction and see if that makes a difference. Thanks.

So far the neighbours have been very good but i can't imagine it lasting if the dogs don't learn. Its not constant but as the lane can get busy with tractors and the horses coming past its certainly barking half a dozen times a day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭EireIceMan

Im in the country and i wouldnt worry about the tractors as much (dont get me wrong, they shouldnt be at it as such) but id be more concerned about the horses. In case they spook one. Did you live in a town before? Im no expert but could the change of scenery and new things have confused/worried them?
    Could you sit with them on a fine day and correct them anytime something goes by? One of mine copped on very quick when i gave a stern "NO" and a reasurring pet.

EireIceMan wrote: »
    Im in the country and i wouldnt worry about the tractors as much (dont get me wrong, they shouldnt be at it as such) but id be more concerned about the horses. In case they spook one. Did you live in a town before? Im no expert but could the change of scenery and new things have confused/worried them?
    Could you sit with them on a fine day and correct them anytime something goes by? One of mine copped on very quick when i gave a stern "NO" and a reasurring pet.

I've sat out with them all day day after day and the No just isn't cutting it, daft thing is if i tell them no or leave it for anything else they are really good but whatever it is about outside just sends them mad.

So far the riders have been really good but i'm very aware they could cause an accident so want to get to them accepting their surroundings as much as possible. They don't bark when other dogs on the lane are barking.

And yes we came from a town to the country and you could well be right about the change unsettling them, but we've been here months now and no improvement.

Advertisement