Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Actor Dick Van Dyke pulled from his burning car

• 20-08-2013 11:18am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭

He was found slumped over the steering wheel of the car,and passers by pulled him out of the burning car.

Lucky to still be alive.

Comments

I love DVanD! When I was a kid I used to watch Diagnosis Murder all the time.

Now I know how to commit the perfect crime AND to avoid that hospital at all costs. People are being murdered left, right and centre in that place.

ETA: I hope it didn't happen because he was taken seriously ill. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,882 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Penis Van Lesbian

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

Hazards of being a chimney sweep I guess...hot ashes, innit?

(To be serious - I hope he's well and not too upset by it)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Candie wrote: »
    I love DVanD! When I was a kid I used to watch Diagnosis Murder all the time.

Now I know how to commit the perfect crime AND to avoid that hospital at all costs. People are being murdered left, right and centre in that place.

ETA: I hope it didn't happen because he was taken seriously ill. :(

And that is also his real life son in it too,he played the detective..;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

he is ok, he didn't realise the car was on fire apparently
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-23763623

i loved Dick van dyke ever since i first saw Mary poppins! he's an amazing actor.

• Advertisement

paddy147 wrote: »

The son was the image of his dad. There was one episode that had one of his daughters in it. Unfortunately, she looked exactly like her dad too.:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭Sunglasses Ron

When you think about it his son was an awful useless bollocks. Dad is the doctor, the detective son gets assigned the murder cases, and Dad solves them for him in every episode. Handy for him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

He was still on his mobile.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

Legend. Used to love Diagnosis Murder. Some of the scrapes they would get into trying to solve crimes... heart in mouth stuff. What a gang. Dick's son was sound, knew the score big time, if there were transfers in crime dramas he would have gone for a record fee to the Wire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭KeithM89

Top show, i remember one episode he was stuck in a big house during a storm with a bunch of people and a murderer, and the power goes out. Scared me sh*tless for weeks when i first saw it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

hoodwinked wrote: »
    i loved Dick van dyke ever since i first saw Mary poppins! he's an amazing actor.

His mastery of the craft's on a par with his motor maintenance skills.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭GalwayGuy2

Hmmm, didn't it turn weird with a vampire episode?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,082 ✭✭✭OU812

I thought he died years ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

He has very white teeth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

He just can't do a cockney accent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

Oh my word, the absolute head on him in the photo on that BBC report.

I thought he was dead about 20 years, to be honest.

OU812 wrote: »
    I thought he died years ago

Nope.

Both he and Angela Lansbury (Murder She Wrote) are very much alive and kicking.

She is making a new movie at the moment too.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Quite why people kept inviting Jessica Fletcher to their parties is beyond me, she turns up to some social event, people drop dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

Nope.

Love Angela Lansbury, she's such a lady, seen on Graham Norton a few years back, and she was well able for him.

krudler wrote: »
    Quite why people kept inviting Jessica Fletcher to their parties is beyond me, she turns up to some social event, people drop dead.

Shes ilke the walking plague, even took it to Ireland.
    Great episode, there was a drive-by stabbing with a sword i think.

• Advertisement

RachaelVO wrote: »
    Nope.

Love Angela Lansbury, she's such a lady, seen on Graham Norton a few years back, and she was well able for him.

Ah she is pure class.
    Very dignified and humble too.

Shes pulls no punches either,when it comes to it...:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68 ✭✭Scrag

Chitty Chitty bang bang. What was the car called

Keith wrote: »
    Shes ilke the walking plague, even took it to Ireland.
    Great episode, there was a drive-by stabbing with a sword i think.

She also has a holiday home just outside Ballycotton in in County Cork and is a regular visitor down there.

She has said that some of her happiest years of her life so far have been spent here in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,452 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Actor Van Dyke, 112, said "you won't catch me buying another Jag me old matey, but I sure will miss that car, the colour sure did enhance my teeth"

Seriously though, glad he's ok, he's a good sort. Always seems weird when famous people reach a good age, then still die in a Hollywood celeb way like a plane or car crash - Desmond Llewellyn comes to mind.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Actor Van Dyke, 112, said "you won't catch me buying another Jag me old matey, but I sure will miss that car, the colour sure did enhance my teeth"

Seriously though, glad he's ok, he's a good sort. Always seems weird when famous people reach a good age, then still die in a Hollywood celeb way like a plane or car crash - Desmond Llewellyn comes to mind.....

Yeah, he crashed his car speeding and it hit a tree, if I remember correctly, I think he was in his 80's. It always struck me a very ironic death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

So, is this bursting into flames thing typical for Jaguar?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭GorillaRising

88 in December. What a man!

Going to seek out that episode Keith was on about. Love episodes of shows like that! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

Yamanoto wrote: »
    His mastery of the craft's on a par with his motor maintenance skills.

aw come on he played the comedic actor brilliantly in that movie, his character would have been just depressing otherwise, his facial expressions were comical too,

and he was brilliant in diagnosis murder,

The best thing about Night At The Museum was Dick Van Dyke and the other funny old guys as bold security guards.:)

Also going to look up that episode Keith mentioned, vaguely remember it.

• Advertisement

88 in December. What a man!

Going to seek out that episode Keith was on about. Love episodes of shows like that! :)

Diagnosis Murder: Season 5, Episode 16
    Rain of Terror.

Try not to pooh yourself.

Thanks Keith!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

krudler wrote: »

She almost bought a farm house literally quarter of a mile from my house. She bought one in Ballycotton instead and look what happened down there :/ I'm lucky to still be alive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

aw come on he played the comedic actor brilliantly in that movie, his character would have been just depressing otherwise, his facial expressions were comical too,

and he was brilliant in diagnosis murder,

He's always been a hugely likeable guy & that translated onto screens big & small, without doubt.

I don't imagine he'd make any great claims as to his acting ability or versatility though. Angela Lansbury on the other hand is a hugely talented actress, as her back catalogue attests.

Tbh, I was always more a Magnum & Quincy man myself. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

When you think about it his son was an awful useless bollocks. Dad is the doctor, the detective son gets assigned the murder cases, and Dad solves them for him in every episode. Handy for him!
    The son helped kill both the original Battlestar Galactica franchise and Airwolf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

i thought he died years ago

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭ericl

Scrag wrote: »
    Chitty Chitty bang bang. What was the car called

KITT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭GorillaRising

Keith wrote: »
    Diagnosis Murder: Season 5, Episode 16
    Rain of Terror.

Try not to pooh yourself.

Excellent! :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Yellow121

I used to fancy that doctor i think she was in Diagnosis Murder, first time I fancied a black woman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭Amerika

Used Jag for sale REAL CHEAP!! pic.twitter.com/SpQMsg3s2O
    - Dick Van Dyke (@iammrvandy)

87 years old and Tweets... Forever young I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Elbaston

Sun headline :

Fireman pulls out a hot dick.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

This isn't even nearly as good as the time he fell asleep while surfing and was rescued by a school of porpoises

Scarinae wrote: »
    This isn't even nearly as good as the time he fell asleep while surfing and was rescued by a school of porpoises

The man is obviously a god, porpoises are good at spotting that kind of thing.

I love this bit in that report:
    The porpoises were unavailable for comment.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I hate Mary Poppins and could never stand him either. 87 years of age and still driving, not surprising that something like this happened. I really think that there needs to be a cut off age for driving. At the moment it seems that you can drive until you die at the wheel or kill others while driving dangerously.

I hate Mary Poppins and could never stand him either. 87 years of age and still driving, not surprising that something like this happened. I really think that there needs to be a cut off age for driving. At the moment it seems that you can drive until you die at the wheel or kill others while driving dangerously.

How is his age related to his accident? His car caught fire, so it wasn't his driving that was the issue, and there's no suggestion he was driving dangerously.

If they're tested as competent then there's no reason to throw them off the roads, as long as they're tested often.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

At 87 years of age you're living on borrowed time and could drop dead at any minute. I know of several instances where elderly drivers that shouldn't have been driving, have written off other peoples cars through bad driving. One guy even managed to destroy the neighbours car because he wasn't familliar with his own new car and ploughed into their parked car:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I liked the one where he played about 25 different characters, something about a family inheritance I think.

Chitty Chitty bang bang scared me as a kid.

At 87 years of age you're living on borrowed time and could drop dead at any minute. I know of several instances where elderly drivers that shouldn't have been driving, have written off other peoples cars through bad driving. One guy even managed to destroy the neighbours car because he wasn't familliar with his own new car and ploughed into their parked car:rolleyes:

I know loads of young drivers who've done the same kind of thing. It's not confined to the seniors.

Dropping dead is surprisingly rare, even among the elderly. Most people have a bit of warning, but don't let that get in the way of your bias.

I wish we could ban that feckin rolleyes. It really puts my back up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

People can drop dead at any minute no matter what age they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

who?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

I liked the one where he played about 25 different characters, something about a family inheritance I think.

Chitty Chitty bang bang scared me as a kid.

Or sh1tty clitty gang bang

• Advertisement
Advertisement