Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HearthStone Heroes of Warcraft

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

I think it takes long because you have to top it up with constructed to get enough to play it - and then you play it, whereas if I play constructed I open a pack every day fast. I found it was slower with arenas.
    Assuming a 60 gold quest (and they're often 40g) you'd need another 7 wins (not games) after that to get 100g. Putting the same amount of time into an arena run will yield more gold (assuming you're alright at it) and a guaranteed pack.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Yeah when you get good at that it would be better.

However, you need 5 wins average to make more from arena than packs. With the dunning kruger effect, everybody on Reddit thinks they do that, the maths speaks otherwise, it's a small percentage. No doubt it's what to aim for.

Yeah when you get good at that it would be better.

However, you need 5 wins average to make more from arena than packs. With the dunning kruger effect, everybody on Reddit thinks they do that, the maths speaks otherwise, it's a small percentage. No doubt it's what to aim for.

Yeah but you only need about 3 to break even i.e. get a pack and 50g. So it's worth the gamble even if you're not that great.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Yeah it's certainly worth it I guess, if only to improve at it, must give it a shot when I get some patience :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,315 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

The server stability is becoming a joke; 3 out 4 games crashed/timed out this morning on me. It was esp. annoying as I was sitting with Ysera out, empty board and 2 dream cards in hand and about to kill my opponent in two turns, crash. Spirits blah blah, wait 30 min. Try again Empty board against hunter, Rag out on my side, crash "can't contact server". Log in again and I play turn 1 coin and crash "Spirits blah blah blah"...

The only game I got to play to the end was a hunter with unbelievable luck, 2x random companion gave the 4/2 charge hog + top decked hunter's mark and bow shot for 15 damage kill from an empty board (his side)...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Finally put together a complete Murlock Warlock rush deck. It's nice to be on the other end of those hidings now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

Arena is a far far better method of building your collection than constructed, however you need to put in the initial effort of getting to that point where you are averaging above 5 wins consistently.

I've gone completely off constructed lately, I just find the grind to break into the top ranks too much effort.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,315 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Finally put together a complete Murlock Warlock rush deck. It's nice to be on the other end of those hidings now.
    I had a Paladin try this on my warrior; lets only say things did not quite go his way (you really need Warlock for the card draw to make it happen imo).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

If you get good board removal at turn 4 or 5 (and kill say 3 or 4 murlocs in one turn) is the Murloc rush just dead then?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Gbear wrote: »
    If you get good board removal at turn 4 or 5 (and kill say 3 or 4 murlocs in one turn) is the Murloc rush just dead then?

Depends. If they have the cards in had to replenish on turn 5 and you already took a lot of damage then no. Either the other deck draws enough to slow the murloc deck down in the first 6 turns or they don't. Not much else to the match-up. Some decent taunts being drawn normally stops it, it doesn't run a huge amount of removal (other than soulfire).

• Advertisement

Not really; 4 removal is 2 damage and I got 4 creatures buffing health that can make them survive that. Even if you wipe my board if I got Leeroy and a soul destroy or two you're dead because you'll be low health.

The best way to stop Murloc (and most other rush decks) is simply to keep the board clean. If you can kill the creatures every turn the deck never gets the momentum swinging for it and it will die out.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Nody wrote: »
    I had a Paladin try this on my warrior; lets only say things did not quite go his way (you really need Warlock for the card draw to make it happen imo).

Paladin has divine favour though. The tactic for paladin murloc is too mulligan your hand every game, searching for one of your two Divine favours. Then, you simply spam your murloc cards and when your hand is empty, play Divine favor to replenish your hand to 5 or 6 more cards. It works.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Joshua J

Do gamestop do the pre-paid cards?. Gonna start playing this but dont have a credit card and would like to buy a few packs.

Joshua J wrote: »
    Do gamestop do the pre-paid cards?. Gonna start playing this but dont have a credit card and would like to buy a few packs.
    Not sure if they do but there are prepaid cards around you could use, 3v etv.

nesf wrote: »
    5 mana is a lot and you don't have a lot of space for 5 mana cards in a druid deck due to you normally running a lot of late game cards. Nourish vs Druid of the Claw/Faceless/Azure Drake? Starfall isn't great for the same reason.
    Picked up azure drake x1, druid of the claw x1, still have one starfall which isn't the best but seems to work all right for now. Faceless is what I want next, what a card.

I don't use naturalize and everybody thinks it is terrible. Was just thinking about it though for late game, if somebody plays rag, ysera etc you can essentially change their 8/9 mana turn into "draw 2 cards" and get to play your own big minion, hmm. Although it seems a very situational card. Just thinking about it as with druid I don't have tink and so much run into these legendaries now. Seems a risky card that could sit there dead but maybe worth testing.

Druid is a damn expensive deck to try and build a top tier one.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Just wondering how much people have spent on booster packs?

I've played a myriad of similar card games over the years not since 2009.

FutureGuy wrote: »

Free to play for me.
    Don't like the idea of paying money for the chance to get a card you need. And tbh I think half the fun is unlocking the cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I got a nice boon there.

300 gold for winning 100 games (or was it playing?).

I ended up with 450 gold or so so I bought 3 packs and an arena go.

Got a pretty nice priest deck and got 5 wins.

Then did another arena with the winnings. Got an atrocious deck and lost 2, won 2, lost 1.

The net result of all that was not much except 2 sunwalkers, which seem nice, and my second legendary - Al Akir the Windlord.
    Is he any good?

The net result of all that was not much except 2 sunwalkers, which seem nice, and my second legendary - Al Akir the Windlord.
    Is he any good?
    He's used as a Shaman finisher; throwing a rockbiter on him can result in an unexpected damage spike. He's pretty much useless in any other capacity as silence destroys him and his base stats are awful for 8 mana.

FutureGuy wrote: »

Nothing, I can't afford to :(
    But I would buy a 40 pack I guess if I had some moolah.
    Seifer wrote: »
    Free to play for me.
    Don't like the idea of paying money for the chance to get a card you need. And tbh I think half the fun is unlocking the cards.
    True, i do enjoy unlocking them, even egetting azure drake yesterday, that made my games since then more fun etc. Cool to get one card you want from a pack.
    I got a nice boon there.

300 gold for winning 100 games (or was it playing?).

I ended up with 450 gold or so so I bought 3 packs and an arena go.

Got a pretty nice priest deck and got 5 wins.

Then did another arena with the winnings. Got an atrocious deck and lost 2, won 2, lost 1.

Is he any good?

Ooo sunwalkers, I've never even drafted one let alone gotten one.
    I've seen him do pretty well in the pros hands, probably tricky enough and need to fit him into the right deck, due to the not so great stats. To do well he needed to be dropped by flametongue totem or buffed with rockbiter on his first turn imo

I'm not sure how many people follow Day9's Hearthstone but this episode was highly amusing. :D

• Advertisement

He's used as a Shaman finisher; throwing a rockbiter on him can result in an unexpected damage spike. He's pretty much useless in any other capacity as silence destroys him and his base stats are awful for 8 mana.
    Require you to plan a deck around him basically; you can achieve similar results with normal creature + wind fury combo because he'll never live beyond the turn you play him basically.

As for number of packs bought; I think 9 40 booster pack stacks. Half bought a the start to get enough to make decent decks and then 1 stack per month for funzies (and to be ready for the "go live") :) Now I don't buy any more with cash and purely get them from arena/gold (only missing legendaries card but I'd love a normal windfury hammer as the only one I got is gold and I'd love to disenchant the bloody thing).

Also I'm starting to believe that the quests when removed are selecting from a limited group. I've gone 3 Wins Druid / Shaman, 5 wins Druid / Shaman, 3 wins Druid / Priest on the same quest. I've noticed before same with the kill quests or play minion quests that they don't go into class specific once if you drop them.

Opened a golden King Krush last night:
    194.png

Don't really like playing hunter but that entrance animation is just so good!

360 packs bought, nice! You'll be set for when new cards are added.

Lovely card there, I play cards I like for the cool factor, mukla, auchenai soulpriest etc. If you like it use it :D

Opened a golden King Krush last night:
    194.png

Don't really like playing hunter but that entrance animation is just so good!

Yeah it's such a cool card, it's a real pity it doesn't fit well with the character yet. :(

Finally completed an arena run :D
    And it was with one of the most fun decks I've ever made; Malygos and double Pyroblast. Won a couple of games with the 30 damage from 2 Maly pyros. Also dropped a 9 damage board clearing flamestrike :pac:

Deck:
    Ewty7KK.jpg

Rewards:
    AKPg1bQ.jpg

(Card pack had garbage that I already had :p)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Nody wrote: »
    Require you to plan a deck around him basically; you can achieve similar results with normal creature + wind fury combo because he'll never live beyond the turn you play him basically.

As for number of packs bought; I think 9 40 booster pack stacks. Half bought a the start to get enough to make decent decks and then 1 stack per month for funzies (and to be ready for the "go live") :) Now I don't buy any more with cash and purely get them from arena/gold (only missing legendaries card but I'd love a normal windfury hammer as the only one I got is gold and I'd love to disenchant the bloody thing).

Also I'm starting to believe that the quests when removed are selecting from a limited group. I've gone 3 Wins Druid / Shaman, 5 wins Druid / Shaman, 3 wins Druid / Priest on the same quest. I've noticed before same with the kill quests or play minion quests that they don't go into class specific once if you drop them.

Aren't all the cards being reset come 'go live'? The last I read is you get your gold refunded but you lose all the cards unless they were 'special' gift cards.

Long question shorter: Is it worth spending money on the game now?

Aren't all the cards being reset come 'go live'? The last I read is you get your gold refunded but you lose all the cards unless they were 'special' gift cards.

Long question shorter: Is it worth spending money on the game now?
    No, there will be no more resets.
    Whether it's worth spending money at all is discussed in previous posts :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

No, there will be no more resets.
    Whether it's worth spending money at all is discussed in previous posts :)

Cool, cheers!

Counted my opened packs, 67. Not as much as most people, 1 legendary. Come on RNGsus :p
    If only I could use those 10 explosive traps.

68 later on, that's the one. Haha.

• Advertisement

Started doing arenas, most wins is 8. 5 is the average after 5 goes.

Last night was very annoying, was 7-1 and about to win and it disconnected, my net is fine etc. So I just click to play again with the loss. It disconnects while the wheel is spinning and I get 7-3 instead of 8-1, very annoying as my record is 8 and I should have beaten it grr. Saw it happened a guy on reddit at the same time.
    :mad:

On my 8 win run 10 of the 11 matches were vs mage :-o

Advertisement