Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HearthStone Heroes of Warcraft

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭civilnug

Downloaded it last night for the iPad (on the Irish App store now!) and fired it up this morning for a quick game before work.

Works really well with the touch control and all my decks and cards synced across from my desktop version. Did have a crash on it (1st generation mini) but I hadn't closed down all the running apps before I booted it so I figure it must be a memory issue.

Anyways looking forward to not getting much sleep when I can just prop myself up in bed and keep playing away.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Also don't run stormwind champion...pity I didn't get to faceless it.
    Priest so damn fun

YOQU9e6.png?1

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

When i first heard about this I thought it was stupid.
    But i decided to download it today and as you might guess.. I'm addicted :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

So, started playing this about a week ago. Have the basics, but still slowly learning how to be properly competitive.

I've been pretty damn lucky in that I drew Rag in my first few packs and drew Ysera this morning. As a priest though, would Cairne be the legendary I should look at getting next? I figured it made sense to have something that gives a bit of earlier board control and possibly soaks up some removal stuff before the other two come out.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

yeah in your control cairne is one of the best. You are already on your way to a great priest control there. I want rag or ysera :p

• Advertisement

How to make handlock ragequit on turn 3.

http://i.imgur.com/ZosnlKp.png
    He does his usual thing of tapping on turn two, I play mukla on turn three, he now has a full hand due to coin and discards twilight drake I think, not sure. Anyway he then soulfires my mukla with his full hand...and discards mortal coil. insta-quit. :D
    I played the game before and he soul fire discarded his molten giant for me to win too. I am sorry.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Hi.

I play Hearthstone now. For iPad. I have a new addiction.

Bye.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Hi.

I play Hearthstone now. For iPad. I have a new addiction.

Bye.

Handle it!

Ok, so I'm a very experienced card game player, having played from 1994 until 2009. At that stage, the two games I had loved player were no longer being produced and, I missed the excitement of opning new packs.

Hearthstone resonates with me. Booster packs are cheap, the game is very solid for a CCG (if not very original) and I'm really enjoying the idea that I can play when I want from my own home, as opposed to travelling as far as Gencon USA for world championships etc etc.

So, I bought a good bunch of cards and am slowly figuring out what's what. I just want to ask ye all a few questions...

1) Are you actively collecting all classes or are you disenchanting entire classes to fully collect 2-3 classes you like playing.

2) From the looks of it, crafting is very expensive. Do you craft a lot in this game?

3) What are the best classes? I went with mage and it seems to be very strong right now for clearing the opponents minions.

4) What are the best neurtal creature card types? For example, beats, pirates etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Ok, so I'm a very experienced card game player, having played from 1994 until 2009. At that stage, the two games I had loved player were no longer being produced and, I missed the excitement of opning new packs.

Hearthstone resonates with me. Booster packs are cheap, the game is very solid for a CCG (if not very original) and I'm really enjoying the idea that I can play when I want from my own home, as opposed to travelling as far as Gencon USA for world championships etc etc.

So, I bought a good bunch of cards and am slowly figuring out what's what. I just want to ask ye all a few questions...

1) Are you actively collecting all classes or are you disenchanting entire classes to fully collect 2-3 classes you like playing.

2) From the looks of it, crafting is very expensive. Do you craft a lot in this game?

3) What are the best classes? I went with mage and it seems to be very strong right now for clearing the opponents minions.

4) What are the best neurtal creature card types? For example, beats, pirates etc?

1) It ends up being all classes. Some people start this way, others deliberately focus on a couple of classes to speed things along. However, as you seem to have noticed the poor disenchant to craft ratio makes disenchanting cards with the potential need of them later seem to be an expensive option.

2) Crafting is normal for Legendaries, occasionally Epics. Starting out you may even be crafting Commons and Rares to try and fill key gaps (Defender of Argus for instance).

3) Mage is probably the weakest class in top tier play at the moment (that or Priest). Rankings here: http://www.liquidhearth.com/forum/constructed-strategy/1835-hs-class-power-ranks-april-2014

As you probably already know, what's strong/weak in top tier play isn't necessarily so in the lower ranks (either meta differences or a particular archetype being difficult to play well). Starting out, Hunter or Warlock are nice for aggro as they require relatively few rare cards to make competitive decks but realistically if you're good you can do with with any class. Trump is a good Youtuber to watch for this kind of stuff (his F2P series): https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsQnAt5I56M-qx4OgCoVmeA

4) Depends on what you want to play. Generally it's about value unless there's a specific theme (e.g. Beasts for Hunters). Pirates and just a fun theme, they're not competitive. Murlocs + Warlock are nasty but you need all the cards to make it work, it's not an easy deck to substitute in for. Giants, Warlock or Paladin etc, can be very good but are very, very dust intensive in terms of the decks (they can involve 4+ Legendaries).

Crafting isn't too bad because if you're grinding out the dust you're grinding out packs for gold and you end up picking up nearly all the commons, rares and epics from drops before you get around to crafting them. Apart from a couple of early key rares for the first deck you want to build the usual advice is to hold on until 1600 for a Legendary.

• Advertisement

I'd do a lot of arenas first to get a feel for all the cards, there are sites and apps that give a rough guide on what picks are better if that is what you want. Doing this and holding off on crafting is very good, because right now you don't know what you will need to or want to craft.

I personally went for all classes, however two of the top decks atm are warlock zoo and a hunter deck by kolento (best deck in the game right now) and they are very cheap. So I had no problem crafting the rares needed such as doomguard. For instance the kolento deck has 6 rares 7 commons and teh rest of the cards come with the class. Again zoolock, has a few rares as the most expensive component. Very easy to get fast if you wanted.

As above, trump has 3 series now where he gets to legend by playing free, zoolock, mage and shaman...and quite fast too so as you can see you often dont need a lot of cards if you have the skill. This is not true for all classes as paladin, warrior (beatdown deck cheaper than control) and priest would be more expensive to get to legend with.

Ive taken the approach of just crafting what I want and not worrying about inefficiency. Within reason of course, I waited a good while until I know what I wanted and had most commons/rares.

Thanks both!

@Nesf
    1) I'm collecting all classes now but my initial intention was to disenchant everything barring 2-3 classes :D

2) I need to find a list of must have cards!

3) Will have a look at Trump's vids!

4) I was actually building a Warlock Merlock deck last night, not knowing it was actually top tier - i'm trying to aviod reading about top decks as I want to figure things out myself :D

@Tar.Aldarion
    I played Arena a few times but I'm way out of a depth because I haven't a clue what I was doing. I'll get back to it once I have played practice with the rest of the decks.

As above, am going to finish building the Warlock deck and give it a go tonight.

I'm going to put my hand up and say I spent over 100 euro on packs in the last 3 days. Will probably spend another 45 at the end of the week and start crafting for what I need.

I see it as an investment in a game I really enjoy - I haven't bought a game for my consoles in an age and there is nothing I see in the coming months I really want outside Mario kart 8 so i can justify it.

definitely play all the classes a lot, get all their free cards, beat the expert AI to get the bonus 100 gold etc.
    Sounds like you should have more cards than me now :p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,315 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Every class to level 10 = unlock all class cards you can't get in packs, unlock every murloc card = gives you Old one Eye (Legendary murloc, defintely worth it). unlock every pirate card (inc. the legendary) gives you 2x Pirate parrots (honestly not really worth it as pirate decks does not really work).

Forgot how close I was to getting that old murkeye, have to say i enjoy playing against zoo more than murlocs

Thanks both!

@Nesf
    1) I'm collecting all classes now but my initial intention was to disenchant everything barring 2-3 classes :D

2) I need to find a list of must have cards!

3) Will have a look at Trump's vids!

4) I was actually building a Warlock Merlock deck last night, not knowing it was actually top tier - i'm trying to aviod reading about top decks as I want to figure things out myself :D

2) It changes weekly! An easy way to get an idea is to look around at the cards used a lot in for example top Warlock decks.

4) Don't. Feel free not to copy decks but get an idea for the deck archetypes etc by looking at various deck types. If nothing else it'll help give you an idea what you need to counter when you get further along. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Is this down for anyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

yeah seems to be. I only started playing it yesterday and got in fine, but today whenever I try to start a game, even an AI practice game, I'm just stuck waiting in a queue. I didn't know if this was a normal occurrence or not.

Branoic wrote: »
    yeah seems to be. I only started playing it yesterday and got in fine, but today whenever I try to start a game, even an AI practice game, I'm just stuck waiting in a queue. I didn't know if this was a normal occurrence or not.

There have been server issues all day. Some of my matches during the day were suffering from very bad lag.

Yep it was down most of last night, but got some time in deckbuilder and a few laggy games.

So I built my own version of a Murloc Warlock deck.

I did a decent amount of crafting but got all the Murlocs (including the legendary Murloc) and focused on rushing down the opponent as early as possible. Excuse my lack of card names but I supported my Murlocs with heatlh addition/regeneration cards. I also threw in Fire Imps - I can take the life hit. I really would love to get that Legendary card that replaces your character - Lord Jaraxus (sic) but I need about a thousand dust to make one! Went 3-0 with it, and won games very quickly. One guy quit the second I played a Murloc as my first card on turn 1 lol.

By the way, are people collecting or disenchanting gold cards? I need to make a decision about these - they are stunning but they could be worth a lot of dust.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,315 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I used to disenchant all gold cards; now I'm down to missing only a few legendary cards (that I don't expect to use) with 8k dust I keep them because why not. The only benefit is if you gather all the gold cards you get some gold but honestly they are so rare that it's something you'll never do in practice.

Also Murloc decks are as you noted very much a rush deck and people has an intense hate/love relationship with them.

I really would love to get that Legendary card that replaces your character - Lord Jaraxus (sic)

He's fun but doesn't work with Murloc.

Yeah he's far too slow for the deck type, he would just hold you back, you probably want leeroy, the only legendary I've crafted.

I keep my gold cards because they look badass, I'm not super keen to get all the cards as fast as possible but rather to just enjoy myself, my golden cards help me do this :p

Just picked up a golden earth elemental, but man that card is some double edged sword... I suppose if you use him as a lategame only card in control it could be ok, it's terrible on turn 5 imo, apart from vs druid. It's pretty sweet vs zoolock though

Just picked up a golden earth elemental, but man that card is some double edged sword... I suppose if you use him as a lategame only card in control it could be ok, it's terrible on turn 5 imo, apart from vs druid. It's pretty sweet vs zoolock though
    Try it with Ancestral spirit combo and watch your enemy cry :P I've done this with my Druid deck, play Blue Berry, opponent kills it with Execute or what ever. Play second Blue berry, enemy struggles but take it down. Play the 8/8 tree and laugh with glee.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭SgtBob

I can't believe what just happened.

Had four minions on the deck with about 20ish attack power, my hero had 20 health. The other guy had 2 minions on the board one with 8 attack and one with 2, he was down to 1 health on his hero.

Thought to myself, this is in the bag unless he pulls off something spectacular... and he did :eek:

Throws down a card that doubles a minions attack power, that gives one of his minions 16 attack and throws down a card that gives his hero a 4 attack weapon. :o

Yup, tail firmly between legs... :o

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I've been on a ridiculous run after not touching Hearthstone for weeks.

I've won about 15 and lost 1 since yesterday.

If only I could get that on arena...

Was weird for me last night too, won every game from rank 4 to rank 2, lost one and stopped :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Zrabie

DreamHack Bucharest is on this weekend. 128 Player single-elimination. Best of 3 format.

Can't post Urls but you can find the stream on twitch/pgl. Kripp/Frodan casting with lots of big name players and ofc Geepsy :P

• Advertisement

:)

YWcRyyT.png

Advertisement