Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HearthStone Heroes of Warcraft

Options

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Ranks 2 - 1 pit you against players of legendary status and also there are no win streaks so it's harder to climb. Players there are probably actively countering the meta too, so it's going to be tough.

I've played a bit more ranked than usual this month and I've made it to Rank 8 with very little effort. Ranks 12-9 were much easier than 16- 13, probably because people intentionally lose to keep their rank low and their games easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Anyone here use ESL? Or recommend any other sites for getting competitive games against people?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

sheet im getting rekt at rank 18. i assume my hunter/beast deck is baby's first custom deck sort of thing. Coz went from 22-18 easily (after just using the basic classes, which was me floating around 21, which i assume is vs other basic deck users/new players)

Spunge wrote: »
    sheet im getting rekt at rank 18. i assume my hunter/beast deck is baby's first custom deck sort of thing. Coz went from 22-18 easily (after just using the basic classes, which was me floating around 21, which i assume is vs other basic deck users/new players)

Ive come across some Hunter/Beast decks at Rank 10-12... you just have to be very aggressive, go for face. face. face. all the time. I can beat them depending on the card draw I get

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

Ive come across some Hunter/Beast decks at Rank 10-12... you just have to be very aggressive, go for face. face. face. all the time. I can beat them depending on the card draw I get

Face hunter and a basic card beast deck are not the same thing.

Here's a popular face hunter list: http://www.hearthpwn.com/decks/210553-face-hunter-detailed-guide-legend-17-na-wreck-that

• Advertisement

Seifer wrote: »
    Face hunter and a basic card beast deck are not the same thing.

Here's a popular face hunter list: http://www.hearthpwn.com/decks/210553-face-hunter-detailed-guide-legend-17-na-wreck-that

ah jaysus what do I know haha... I dont use hunter or really netdeck at all. maybe I should to get to know my enemies.

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Reality_Check1

In my opinion Face Hunter decks are probably the cheapest (in terms of dust) way to get to legend. Despite popular belief there is a bit of thinking around moves and maximizing damage to mana ratio. The reason I stopped playing it as my main deck is because its too match up dependent i.e. except in cases where there is some very unlucky or lucky draws you know before the cards are drawn if you are likely or not to win - its probably most time efficient to insta concede to control warriors.

Ive actually played a lot of legendary hunter decks over the last couple of days and I think I'm 6-1 versus them. I like having a deck that has a chance to win most match ups. So at higher ranks if you have a deck that can counter aggro and put enough pressure on control you will do well. Still trying to figure out why Ive such a weakness versus oil rogue though.

Finally I think your skill edge is minimised by using a face hunter deck. If you think you are good at the game and generally make +EV plays it makes little sense to play a low skill capped deck. It definitely takes a bit of thinking in terms of baiting out taunts and saving burst but if you can opperate a deck like that effectively I think there is a far greater scope to play other decks to a greater potential

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

I face huntered my way to rank 4 and then it seems to run out of steam as there are too many decks set up to counter aggro. I'm now switching between 2 variants of mech mage and tempo mage with the tempo variant being my favourite by far.

One last push and hopefully I can get to legend before the end of the season. After that I'm just going to try and get better at Arena. I have the vast majority of the GvG cards but because I started after the release of Nax Im missing some very important regular cards so at the moment it makes more sense for me to buy regular packs than play arena

The grind from rank 5 on is not pleasant. It's broken me every time. Just too many games needed to be played and not enough days left usually.

In my opinion Face Hunter decks are probably the cheapest (in terms of dust) way to get to legend. Despite popular belief there is a bit of thinking around moves and maximizing damage to mana ratio. The reason I stopped playing it as my main deck is because its too match up dependent i.e. except in cases where there is some very unlucky or lucky draws you know before the cards are drawn if you are likely or not to win - its probably most time efficient to insta concede to control warriors.

Ive actually played a lot of legendary hunter decks over the last couple of days and I think I'm 6-1 versus them. I like having a deck that has a chance to win most match ups. So at higher ranks if you have a deck that can counter aggro and put enough pressure on control you will do well. Still trying to figure out why Ive such a weakness versus oil rogue though.

Finally I think your skill edge is minimised by using a face hunter deck. If you think you are good at the game and generally make +EV plays it makes little sense to play a low skill capped deck. It definitely takes a bit of thinking in terms of baiting out taunts and saving burst but if you can opperate a deck like that effectively I think there is a far greater scope to play other decks to a greater potential

The big advantage of Face Hunter and similar decks is you can cycle through games quickly with them so if you need X ranks in Y days but only have so many hours a day to play then you don't need as high a winrate with the fast aggro decks as you do with the midrange and control decks to actually do it. It's one of the reasons Zoo used to be so popular on the ladder and control decks rare but the opposite true in Legend where winrate is more important.

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Reality_Check1

The tilt is real!

was up to rank 2 and now I cant buy a win. Currently chilling back at rank 8! have to say tilting hard, Only so many times I can take being top decked. AH well back to playing for the craic will try get legend next season

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

People talk about being "top decked" and in some cases its true but usually its not. For example, if he has 12 cards left and 6 of them are spells.....the odds of him getting the card he needs to deal with your creature or end the game are pretty good.

Good deck construction is what it really comes down to. It might seem people get "lucky" at high ranks by drawing the card they need but really its just good card choice because any number of their cards can be useful.

Kirby wrote: »
    People talk about being "top decked" and in some cases its true but usually its not. For example, if he has 12 cards left and 6 of them are spells.....the odds of him getting the card he needs to deal with your creature or end the game are pretty good.

Good deck construction is what it really comes down to. It might seem people get "lucky" at high ranks by drawing the card they need but really its just good card choice because any number of their cards can be useful.

More it's the issue of repeated draws: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1V78gP96wBVo7bUtu5WpzfSzjLGLk2f01CDtrt7SRYeU/edit#gid=0

The odds of someone drawing their only copy of Flamestrike by turn 10 after drawing 13 cards (including starting, ignoring mulligan) is 43%. If they have four answers it'll happen 91% of the time that at least one of them gets drawn. In reality these numbers are quite a bit higher if someone is able to mulligan to counter you. Top decks are annoying but they are going to be really common in any game that goes past turn 8 for aggro because the odds of them not drawing any of their counters starts becoming very small after that. It looks like a cheap topdeck but actually the odds of the card not having been drawn by now were low usually.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Pretty tired of gvg packs, think I'll switch back to normal ones. Whenever I think of a card I want its from the original packs even though I've only opened 50 gvg ones.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,315 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Pretty tired of gvg packs, think I'll switch back to normal ones. Whenever I think of a card I want its from the original packs even though I've only opened 50 gvg ones.
    I'm down to 2 legendaries now (I've ended up crafting 2 epics x2 because neither came in over 450 packs) with 20k dust waiting (I want to see the nerf(s) before dusting) and even though I got every normal pack it's better dust to gold ratio (and I miss a ton of gold once).

nesf wrote: »
    More it's the issue of repeated draws: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1V78gP96wBVo7bUtu5WpzfSzjLGLk2f01CDtrt7SRYeU/edit#gid=0

The odds of someone drawing their only copy of Flamestrike by turn 10 after drawing 13 cards (including starting, ignoring mulligan) is 43%. If they have four answers it'll happen 91% of the time that at least one of them gets drawn. In reality these numbers are quite a bit higher if someone is able to mulligan to counter you. Top decks are annoying but they are going to be really common in any game that goes past turn 8 for aggro because the odds of them not drawing any of their counters starts becoming very small after that. It looks like a cheap topdeck but actually the odds of the card not having been drawn by now were low usually.

I worded that really poorly. I don't mean that there's some magical extra top deck effect past turn 8 for aggro, I mean the odds of not being top decked turns 4-10 is actually pretty low a lot of the time which means we'll remember a lot of crazy top decks turns 6 to 10 but really the odds of us getting to turn 12 without seeing a Flamestrike aren't that good. As the average game increases the share of games won by the control/midrange deck against face hunter (for example) sharply increases once you pass the number of draws that deck needs to hit their counters 50% of the time. Which is before turn 10 with most decks.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Double innervate + coin druid vs handlock goes well :D
    Was hoping he would molten giant just to crush his dreams

puu2xng.png?1

None of the new adventure cards look like auto-includes; it will be interesting to see what uses people can find for them.
    Might hold my gold until they have time to settle.

Here they all are in case anyone hasn't seen them: http://imgur.com/a/9Sk0m

hungry dragon is class, and id say emporor whatever is auto include in most my decks as that is insane

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭GodlessM

None of the new adventure cards look like auto-includes; it will be interesting to see what uses people can find for them.
    Might hold my gold until they have time to settle.

Here they all are in case anyone hasn't seen them: http://imgur.com/a/9Sk0m

Grim Patron and Bouncing Blade not an auto-include? I disagree.

bouncing blade is from gvg. grimpatron seems too hard to trigger for what you get? No idea, exciting to see. Maybe there will be an awesome combo with warsong commando

• Advertisement

bouncing blade is from gvg. grimpatron seems too hard to trigger for what you get? No idea, exciting to see. Maybe there will be an awesome combo with warsong commando

Yeah but because of it I think Grim Patron may be an auto-include in Warrior. It's like any combo, and easily activated; first guy summons a buddy, that guys summons a buddy, and so on until someone dies.

GodlessM wrote: »
    Grim Patron and Bouncing Blade not an auto-include? I disagree.

Not sure an 8 mana combo is an auto-include. Some other synergy with Whirlwind and Death's Bite but these three cards (with Bouncing Blade) are competing against each other for space in a control deck. And I'm not convinced that the 5 mana slot in control has space really, it's already got so many strong options. In an aggro deck I think this card might be too slow.

I don't know, 5 mana feels a bit pricey. Like you opponent kind of has to trade into it with a 3 attack+ creature on their turn so it is a threat but at 5 mana it's competing against Cairn, Lotheb etc which are less narrow in application.

Worth trying though certainly.

Anyone else find that the 'Wing' system makes the release a little underwhelming? I mean, there are no new packs, so basically you are spreading the release over 5 weeks, and given that it wasn't that big to begin with, it just seems not to work so well.

GodlessM wrote: »
    Anyone else find that the 'Wing' system makes the release a little underwhelming? I mean, there are no new packs, so basically you are spreading the release over 5 weeks, and given that it wasn't that big to begin with, it just seems not to work so well.

The wing system is just there to stretch a tiny amount of new content over as much as possible ground. Blizzard have been extremely slow in "printing" new cards compared to other CCGs. It's preferable to packs though whether you're a F2P or P2P player.

I made such a fun deck, 2x nourish, 2x wild growth, 2x grove tender, tharussian, 2x innervate, 2x naturalise, 1x MC tech and loads of big minions + swipes + wraths.

not only is it winning somehow people keep adding me :D

DD0a0Cv.jpg?1

people lose their **** when they play kelthusad and i play sylvanas and naturalise my own sylvanas haha.
    I made a priest discard like 7 cards with naturalises and grove tenders mm.

Consider it stolen buddy :)

Got the new quest where you have to spec. a friend winning to get a pack so I need friends :p

Anyone playing tonight feel free to add me (Fastpaws#2522) or let me know your tag!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,315 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Got the new quest where you have to spec. a friend winning to get a pack so I need friends :p

Anyone playing tonight feel free to add me (Fastpaws#2522) or let me know your tag!
    I'll try to remember to invite you tonight; I'll play my almost golden Murloc deck to get you that win (with some luck that's a turn 4 win :P ).

I got it done last night; Illidan and a golden Ancient of Lore so not a bad pack ;)

I was adding people after every game I played, win or lose and I'd say it was the 8th game before someone accepted. Maybe that's why Blizzard made the quest; so people realise that not everyone who tries to add you wants to rage about your skillful use of flamestrike.

• Advertisement

Yeah i'm getting some friendly people recently, most dont have much english. "i add u i like u" :D

Advertisement