Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HearthStone Heroes of Warcraft

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Yeah i'm getting some friendly people recently, most dont have much english. "i add u i like u" :D

Flir.Tar?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,315 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

nesf wrote: »
    Flir.Tar?
    Nothing says "I love you" as much as the gentle caress of a Mind Control taking away your Ragnaros :P

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Opening clan Flir.Tar for new members :pac:

I think poeple jsut like that I'm playing weird cards. Nobody expects mukla into grove tender into naturalise :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Hi, I only started playing on Friday when I noticed it was free on Android, can someone point me at a non-obsolete starter guide? I literally have no idea what to do and haven't picked up a new card or deck in ages so I know Im doing something wrong.

My mage is level 18 now, I made a custom Mage deck but its a bit crap I think as I was winning more before I made it but now I dont know how to get rid of it without deleting all the cards in it. All the cards I used to use like fireball and the sheep that used to come up a lot and save me don't seem to appear anymore, how do I go back to the way it was before I did the custom deck creator? And how come none of the rare Mage cards I got in a couple of packs never appear at all?

I was enjoying it but something has gone badly wrong and I cannot figure out what it is, can someone just tell me what I should be doing starting out?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭GodlessM

Thargor wrote: »
    Hi, I only started playing on Friday when I noticed it was free on Android, can someone point me at a non-obsolete starter guide? I literally have no idea what to do and haven't picked up a new card or deck in ages so I know Im doing something wrong.

My mage is level 18 now, I made a custom Mage deck but its a bit crap I think as I was winning more before I made it but now I dont know how to get rid of it without deleting all the cards in it. All the cards I used to use like fireball and the sheep that used to come up a lot and save me don't seem to appear anymore, how do I go back to the way it was before I did the custom deck creator? And how come none of the rare Mage cards I got in a couple of packs never appear at all?

I was enjoying it but something has gone badly wrong and I cannot figure out what it is, can someone just tell me what I should be doing starting out?

In order for cards to appear in your games, you need to put them in the deck. From what you are saying here it sounds like you are expecting all of the cards you have collected to show. This is not the case. Go to my collection, pick new deck, select your 30 cards, and voila. You can get at most 2 of any card in a deck, so they might not draw every game. If you delete a deck you do not lose the cards.

And assuming you have finished the 10 standard levels to get all the basic cards, the only way you will get new cards now is playing the new adventures, doing arena, or grinding the daily quests/spending real money to buy packs. You don't unlock decks in Hearthstone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

The guide on Eurogamer seems to be still quite relevant:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-06-05-hearthstone-best-basic-decks-guide

Yes I'm beginning to understand thanks. I'm just going to play until I have every class at >Lv 10 and all the advanced AIs beaten. I assume after that choosing a class is just a matter of picking your favourite and sticking with them?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,315 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Yes I'm beginning to understand thanks. I'm just going to play until I have every class at >Lv 10 and all the advanced AIs beaten. I assume after that choosing a class is just a matter of picking your favourite and sticking with them?
    Rotate through them to get a basic understanding of what they can do and how; no class is greatly OP (except Priest and you play against Tar) but they do come in multiple versions (i.e. aggro hunter, mid range hunter, trap hunter etc.) which do play differently).

Thanks, and for every class I should have googled and built the best custom deck I can for them with the cards I have available and not just leave it to chance? This is how people play? Sorry for the total n00b questions but I never touched a card game before and I was enjoying it up until I messed up my deck last night and found I couldnt win anything all of a sudden.

Thanks, and for every class I should have googled and built the best custom deck I can for them with the cards I have available and not just leave it to chance? This is how people play? Sorry for the total n00b questions but I never touched a card game before and I was enjoying it up until I messed up my deck last night and found I couldnt win anything all of a sudden.
    I'd strongly recommend watching through Trump's 10 lessons on Hearthstone. The first one is below and it will help you with deck design and understanding of the game.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Generally you do look up online to see what everybody is playing, it will give you a good idea. Then if you dont have a card you can ask what is a good replacement for x or y. Some decks are very expensive to craft but some are very cheap, look up zoo and facehunter for cheaper decks. As you play you can craft some cards you want. At first you should just learn all about the cards and have fun, you can play arena once you get this down, and look up arena guides, you'll have the same chances as anybody at good cards in that.

It's a drafting mode. You will be shown 3 cards and you pick which one you want, you do this 30 times to make a temporary deck to play with for that arena. When you lose with it 3 times it is gone and you get a prize based on how many wins you get. It will feel fairer due to you not being trounced by expensive decks on ladder at the start.

At the start some classes have good basic starting cards like mage and priest too.

There are two main ways of going about it, both have the same end goal of getting your head around how to make and play a deck. The first is to put decks together yourself and see what happens. This works well for some people, not so much for others, depends on how much you like experimenting I guess. The second is to start with a premade deck (you can find cheap to make ones around the place, ignore "meta decks" at the start, you're not aiming for legend) and try to get a feel for why each card is in there, what it does and what changes if you swap some cards out for others.

I recommend finding some cheap Zoo variant to start with. A lot to learn about CCGs in that deck, you can tell from how many poorly played Zoo decks you'll face. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Or go arena.

You play with random cards there so you don't need any collection. (mistake i made in the beginning :P).

So its better to spend your gold in the Arena than on 1-2 packs?

Well every game in Arena will net you ONE pack minimum of the Goblin & Gnomes expansion so you pay 50 gold more for the chance to get more dust/gold than usual. How ever as a new player I'd recommend basic packs instead of G&G (which have some amazing cards but most of it is for specific builds rather than something you want in every deck).

You'll also want to consider getting the Nax adventure down the line (some amazing cards from it for every deck such as Sledge Belcher) which can be bought with gold or $.

Perfect thanks all.

If you're fairly decent at Arena, yes. For everyone else, usually no but you don't have to face people who played longer and have more cards than you which some people like better than grinding out ladder.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭Wossack

blizz email this morning; android version is finally out and up on the google store - apologies if its old news

totally unrelated, but my productivity in work has suddenly taken a pretty serious dive

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Email was about a week late for you I'm afraid. But yeah, get yer free pack everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    Email was about a week late for you I'm afraid. But yeah, get yer free pack everyone!

Two free packs :D You get one for playing on Android and one for playing on iPhone.

• Advertisement

need to find some iphone user now!

need to find some iphone user now!

This is the same boat I'm in.

PRO TIP: ANY game counts i.e. install it, play a practise game, insta-concede, get pack, dust for 40 ;_;

• Registered Users Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭Wossack

doubt it, but Ive a 3GS knocking about at home I might try it on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭GodlessM

Downside is it plays like crap on Android.

There's also a bug that allows you to view your opening hand and then choose to D/C with no star/arena loss!

Its flawless on my OnePlus, one of the best conversions of a pc game Ive ever seen tbh.

Fcuk me I cannot win a match with anything besides Mage, cant even beat one of the Advanced AIs with Warrior or any of the others. Its mostly the useless hands that keep coming up for me though, Murlocs when the AI is getting Lords of the Arena and other 5/5+ stuff.

grand on my moto g, i dont like having to click to focus my cards on my go. Took ages trying to install it too, lots of fails. It also takes too much space.

Its flawless on my OnePlus, one of the best conversions of a pc game Ive ever seen tbh.

Fcuk me I cannot win a match with anything besides Mage, cant even beat one of the Advanced AIs with Warrior or any of the others. Its mostly the useless hands that keep coming up for me though, Murlocs when the AI is getting Lords of the Arena and other 5/5+ stuff.

If you're drawing garbage, your decks are probably awful. Try some of these "Trump's Teachings" decks, they all require no dust.
    http://www.hearthpwn.com/decks?filter-search=trump+teaching&filter-unreleased-cards=t&filter-deck-tag=1&&

Tbh my main problem since I finished beating the AIs is how slow people are playing real games, 90 seconds on turn 2 to decide you'll use your hero power? The game badly needs a 30 second fast mode. Its honestly putting me off playing it at all anymore.

• Advertisement

First plays are often the most important. Chances are your opponent might have Zombie Chow, Knife Juggler or Hero Power turn 2, and they have to try make a read on what you have, how it will trade, how much value those cards might get in the future etc.

Advertisement