Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HearthStone Heroes of Warcraft

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I got to rank 4 so got that chest. Dusted the gold cards. Not a bad haul. The golden epic makes a big difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

So, how has everyone found the TGT cards so far?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Having an actual competitive Priest deck for once is pretty nice.

They simply arent strong enough. In their fear of power creep, they have been too reserved with the new cards. Inspire and jousting havent changed the meta at all.

Dragon Priest is pretty cool. It's fun and I like it. The new secret paladin is very strong too. Shaman play has dropped off a little when people realised Mistcaller wasnt that strong. Pity really as thunder bluff valiant is the real MVP of shaman now. Mage decks havent changed at all. Neither have warriors. Druid decks are the same just with the added saplings and aspirant as both are good cards.

Ultimately ladder is still a complete mess. Aggro is still king. Face hunter is still everywhere, zoo is still as effective as ever and they have been joined by ebola paladin 2.0 now with added secrets and Dr 6. :P

Patron warrior is still the top dog. How they havent touched grim patron, warsong or frothing is baffling to me. The most casual of casual and most pro of pro are in universal agreement that its broken as all hell. Being able to put out 30 damage in a single turn with zero boards presense is stupid.

So in that sense, not much has changed. The joust mechanic was a good idea but poorly implemented. You just lose the joust too often. I really like the inspire mechanic but again, you just die to aggro.

In every expansion they have released anti-aggro cards but it hasnt helped. They can continue to do it but I dont think it will help anything. They need a redesign. Perhaps a limit on how much damage you can take per turn....I'm not sure. But the game will remain aggro stone forever unless something is done.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

I still find it odd that they've no system where previous sets are retired from competitive play. Or at a minimum cards being banned or limited from competitive play when they dominate the meta too much. It's the only reason Magic etc can remain vaguely controlled by the developers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭GodlessM

Kirby wrote: »
    They simply arent strong enough. In their fear of power creep, they have been too reserved with the new cards. Inspire and jousting havent changed the meta at all.

Dragon Priest is pretty cool. It's fun and I like it. The new secret paladin is very strong too. Shaman play has dropped off a little when people realised Mistcaller wasnt that strong. Pity really as thunder bluff valiant is the real MVP of shaman now. Mage decks havent changed at all. Neither have warriors. Druid decks are the same just with the added saplings and aspirant as both are good cards.

Ultimately ladder is still a complete mess. Aggro is still king. Face hunter is still everywhere, zoo is still as effective as ever and they have been joined by ebola paladin 2.0 now with added secrets and Dr 6. :P

Patron warrior is still the top dog. How they havent touched grim patron, warsong or frothing is baffling to me. The most casual of casual and most pro of pro are in universal agreement that its broken as all hell. Being able to put out 30 damage in a single turn with zero boards presense is stupid.

So in that sense, not much has changed. The joust mechanic was a good idea but poorly implemented. You just lose the joust too often. I really like the inspire mechanic but again, you just die to aggro.

In every expansion they have released anti-aggro cards but it hasnt helped. They can continue to do it but I dont think it will help anything. They need a redesign. Perhaps a limit on how much damage you can take per turn....I'm not sure. But the game will remain aggro stone forever unless something is done.

Fully agree. Dread Steed, Totems, Mysterious Challenger and Murloc Knight gave their respective heroes some better options, but overall not much has changed. I'm still seeing mostly Face Hunter.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Went on a business trip last week and forgot my Vita, so decided to give this a whirl on my Ipad and I am now addicted.

I used to play a lot of Magic: The Gathering and Yu-Gi-Oh! when I was younger so it did not take long at all to get into and know what was going on, I have a quite a bit of gold now and was wondering is it better spent on packs or using it for the arena?

Xenji wrote: »
    Went on a business trip last week and forgot my Vita, so decided to give this a whirl on my Ipad and I am now addicted.

I used to play a lot of Magic: The Gathering and Yu-Gi-Oh! when I was younger so it did not take long at all to get into and know what was going on, I have a quite a bit of gold now and was wondering is it better spent on packs or using it for the arena?

Truthfully It's better to save It up and buy wings on Naxx and Blackrock IMO

Na. Grinding gold for adventures when he doesnt have a big collection? That will take forever.

If it was me, I'd spend a few euro and buy Naxxramas. There are tons of good cards in it that are still used in loads of decks. Blackrock Mountain is a judgement call....personally I think its less value than nax because there are more weak cards.

Use the gold for Arena. Arena will help you learn the game, and you will get a pack out of it no matter how bad you do which will expand your collection.

Also, play Tavern brawl every week at least once, for a free pack. If you log into hearthstone on your phone, you get a free pack too.

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Late reply, but I absolutely disagree on recommending new players to go into arena with their gold. Breaking even is tough for newer players and will often end in a loss, especially as people are a lot better at arena nowadays than they were a year ago. I'd be recommending buying classic packs.

Agree re: forking out for Naxx and ignoring Blackrock for now.

You get 1 free pack each for logging on via: ipad, iphone, android tablet, android phone. You have to play a game, but just start a game in casual mode and then insta-concede, you'll get your pack regardless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 Baron McBoomBoom

never liked these kinda games before but once i saw a rogue in action i had to play it. Rogues are awesome. Cant bear to play as any other class. I just dont find them in any way interesting or as fun as rogue

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    Late reply, but I absolutely disagree on recommending new players to go into arena with their gold. Breaking even is tough for newer players and will often end in a loss, especially as people are a lot better at arena nowadays than they were a year ago. I'd be recommending buying classic packs.

I understand your point on this and agree it can be tough to win games in the arena but you have fallen into the trap that many do in regards to "breaking even."

It's a misconception that you need 4 wins to break even. You "break even" the moment you press the Arena button. Even going 0-3 you have broken even because you get a pack worth 100 gold plus random dust/gold.

Getting the 4 wins leaves you with enough gold to enter another Arena yes....but thats not breaking even....thats coming out ahead because you have already gotten a pack. It's a common mistake people make regarding Arena. I hear it all the time and it's incorrect. The arena is risk free. Even if you lose, you come out of it with the value of your 150 gold as if you had merely bought a pack instead for 100 gold.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

I went the Arena route, only been playing about 2 weeks, but have got 6 wins in a row on one occasion and regularly win 3-4 games before I run out of lives, also got up to 14 in the ranked play, I was surprised at first how just crafting and adding a certain few cards makes such a difference, but the mechanics are really easy to understand once you get into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

D4RK ONION wrote: »

Agree re: forking out for Naxx and ignoring Blackrock for now.

You get 1 free pack each for logging on via: ipad, iphone, android tablet, android phone. You have to play a game, but just start a game in casual mode and then insta-concede, you'll get your pack regardless.

If they've played a lot of Magic/Yu-Gi-Oh! they'll know whether they should be playing constructed or limited. Either route is fine if it suits you (i.e. variety playing with loads of different deck types or focusing on one or two cheap decks and getting good with them).

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Shougeki

Xenji wrote: »
    I went the Arena route, only been playing about 2 weeks, but have got 6 wins in a row on one occasion and regularly win 3-4 games before I run out of lives, also got up to 14 in the ranked play, I was surprised at first how just crafting and adding a certain few cards makes such a difference, but the mechanics are really easy to understand once you get into it.

HearthPwn can be good for seeing deck trends and getting an idea of what works for each class.
    Also have a look for some of the "F2P" decklists. They basically have low craft decks that are semi-competitive.
    Rank 14 ain't bad for someone just starting, and even though it will say some crap about "Top 20%" or some nonsense at end of season, a lot of people up until now have just hit rank 20 for the card back and then scooped. Now we get rewards people are actually trying. The major cut off points for rewards are 15, 10 and 5.
    FYI if you get the quest for watching someone win for a free pach and you dont have anyone in your friends list, drop me a pm and ill send you my ID.
    never liked these kinda games before but once i saw a rogue in action i had to play it. Rogues are awesome. Cant bear to play as any other class. I just dont find them in any way interesting or as fun as rogue
    Rogues were really good once upon a time with "Miracle Rogue". Throw out a guy that you draw a card for every spell, fly through your deck and d massive damage in one turn.
    There was also an interesting deck that timed your opponent out, by only allowing them 12 seconds for their turn, and then not allowing them do anything by using their entire turn with card animations...

but in the current meta rogues are really, really poor. Which is a shame....

• Registered Users Posts: 6 rob.d

Hi there everyone.
    Perhaps you heard about Fireside Gatherings (sorry as new user can't post links so google it please)
    Well I contacted them yesterday and got a response. See below.

I don't know enough of Hearthstone community in Ireland so I'm not sure if it's even worth to respond to them.

I'm wondering if there are people here, who would be interested in attending/co-organizing this event. If so please let me know and we'll get this thing rollin.

"Hi Robert,
    We’re happy to hear about your interest in running a Fireside Gathering celebrating the release of The Grand Tournament. Unfortunately, as supplies were extremely limited, we no longer have any support packages available. We would still be happy to support you and get your upcoming event posted on FiresideGatherings.com if you are still interested in holding your Fireside Gathering. If so, could you please provide us with the final details of your event? Remember, your event must be open to the public and in a public space like a café, restaurant, bar, meeting hall, etc. That means no private residences.

Event Name:

Event Date:

Start Time:

End Time:

Venue Name:

Street Address:

Street Address 2:

City:

State/Province:

Postal Code:

Describe the activities at your event:

Who is this event intended for?

Once we receive the above information, we’ll be able to get your event up on FiresideGatherings.com. We look forward to hearing from you very soon!

Cheers,
    The FSG Team"

rob.d wrote: »
    Hi there everyone.
    Perhaps you heard about Fireside Gatherings (sorry as new user can't post links so google it please)
    Well I contacted them yesterday and got a response. See below.

I don't know enough of Hearthstone community in Ireland so I'm not sure if it's even worth to respond to them.

I'm wondering if there are people here, who would be interested in attending/co-organizing this event. If so please let me know and we'll get this thing rollin.

"Hi Robert,
    We’re happy to hear about your interest in running a Fireside Gathering celebrating the release of The Grand Tournament. Unfortunately, as supplies were extremely limited, we no longer have any support packages available. We would still be happy to support you and get your upcoming event posted on FiresideGatherings.com if you are still interested in holding your Fireside Gathering. If so, could you please provide us with the final details of your event? Remember, your event must be open to the public and in a public space like a café, restaurant, bar, meeting hall, etc. That means no private residences.

Event Name:

Event Date:

Start Time:

End Time:

Venue Name:

Street Address:

Street Address 2:

City:

State/Province:

Postal Code:

Describe the activities at your event:

Who is this event intended for?

Once we receive the above information, we’ll be able to get your event up on FiresideGatherings.com. We look forward to hearing from you very soon!

Cheers,
    The FSG Team"

How do you plan on organising It? Everyone goes to a cafe and plays on their phone?? It would be extremely difficult to organise but I'd be up for It.

How do you plan on organising It? Everyone goes to a cafe and plays on their phone?? It would be extremely difficult to organise but I'd be up for It.

I believe you get a card back for 4 games or some sh*t. :P

It's pretty straight forward. We pick some nice place with good wi-fi, reserve space and time for enough people and then we all show up and then play against each other for few hours. We have few bawerages and we head home.

As far as devices go, I think everyone can bring whatever device they use. I would most likely bring my laptop but tablets/phones would also work.

Unfortunately Blizzard can't support us this time, at least as far as any extra prizes go, but who knows perhaps next time.

Ps. I'm living in Naas Co. Kildare but I'd be willing to drive to Dublin.
    Catch me on BN my ID is ShadowMurloc#28470

It's pretty straight forward. We pick some nice place with good wi-fi, reserve space and time for enough people and then we all show up and then play against each other for few hours. We have few bawerages and we head home.

As far as devices go, I think everyone can bring whatever device they use. I would most likely bring my laptop but tablets/phones would also work.

Unfortunately Blizzard can't support us this time, at least as far as any extra prizes go, but who knows perhaps next time.

Ps. I'm living in Naas Co. Kildare but I'd be willing to drive to Dublin.
    Catch me on BN my ID is ShadowMurloc#28470

I'd imagine a lot of people play on their desktop and we'd need a pretty big place, maybe I'm just making excuses, I'm all for It pal.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

If it's on a weekend I'm in Dublin then I'd be up for it! Bitta craic :D I'm sure nearly everyone would have either a laptop, tablet or smartphone that could run hearthstone tbh, if not we can share! Shame Blizzard can't provide any prizes :(

So next Saturday 3rd of October?
    Anyone ideas as far as the venue goes? I don't know Dublin well :(

So next Saturday 3rd of October?
    Anyone ideas as far as the venue goes? I don't know Dublin well :(

Yeah will need get a few more names In there tho, so far It's me and you :pac:

There's 100's of cafes we could go too In the city centre don't worry about that

I remember a few years ago there used to be a gaming night in some bar in the city center. Roleplaying, card and board games. Could get in touch with those chaps [somehow] and find out where they go?
    A pre signup sheet and a format would be good [From what I remember they had a format where people picked three decks and played best of three with them], or pick a deck and stick to it? Dunno what works.
    Weekends are generally bad for me, and that weekend is rugby as well :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭GodlessM

There were a few of these earlier in the year. The reason Blizzard offer no support at this time is because the qualifier season is over AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Joshua J

Grim patron is anti-fun. Anyone who plays the deck is a trihard jabroni.

Joshua J wrote: »
    Grim patron is anti-fun. Anyone who plays the deck is a trihard jabroni.

Yeah. The fact you can slap 30+ damage in a turn with no board presence is ridiculous. There should have been some kind of nerf-bat, but there hasn't.
    And Rogues are soooo poor now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

just started playing the game this week, silly question, is there a way to say well played etc in game? I think players do it to me but I''m not sure how

starting playing cause i liked quent in the witcher 3. work productivity has hit an all time low

IvoryTower wrote: »
    just started playing the game this week, silly question, is there a way to say well played etc in game? I think players do it to me but I''m not sure how

starting playing cause i liked quent in the witcher 3. work productivity has hit an all time low

Just right click on your hero and you will get options to say "Hello" "Well played" etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

okay thanks ken. Any harm in going straight into ranked once you have your 20 cards or whatever?

Advertisement