Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HearthStone Heroes of Warcraft

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

IvoryTower wrote: »
    okay thanks ken. Any harm in going straight into ranked once you have your 20 cards or whatever?

No harm at all, jumping In the deep end essentially, also IMO the best place to test out new decks. As long as you don't mind losing, ranked Is the place to be my friend.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

just started playing the game this week, silly question, is there a way to say well played etc in game? I think players do it to me but I''m not sure how

starting playing cause i liked quent in the witcher 3. work productivity has hit an all time low
    Just right click on your hero and you will get options to say "Hello" "Well played" etc

I didn't know you could for ages, thought the AI was BMing me!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 rob.d

I don't think Patron warrior is so ridiculous. In reality OTK with double Frothing happens very rarely and especially if your opponent knows how to play around and doesn't leave many minions on board.
    For it to happen you need to have exact combo pieces in your hand and have them discounted by Thaurissan.

I think top ridiculous deck since TGT is secret paladin although more and more people knows now how to play around them.

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Secret Paladin is strong, but doesn't even come close to Patron Warrior. PW is extremely consistent as it has many win conditions and draws a lot of cards. However, it does require some practice to play, and thus you maybe wont have played people who are too good at.

People are constantly posting stories about how they lost 45 health to PW in one turn when they had no minions on their board. That's a problem.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,315 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Well simply need to look at any tournament; the setup you will see in 95% of the hands are:

Patron warrior
    Demon/Handlock combo
    Druid/Tempo Mage <--- The slot that changes if any

If someone don't bring a Patron warrior they'll bring decks specifically built to counter it basically. The Patron warrior in the end is like old miracle rouge; it does not play your opponent but it plays to draw the required cards and then do a One Turn Win no matter the health of the opponent which is also why I hope they'll simply do a minor change to Patrons (3/2 instead of 3/3 or upping mana cost by one or two to delay it etc.) even though it's the most skill intensive deck out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Nody wrote: »
    Well simply need to look at any tournament; the setup you will see in 95% of the hands are:

Patron warrior
    Demon/Handlock combo
    Druid/Tempo Mage <--- The slot that changes if any

If someone don't bring a Patron warrior they'll bring decks specifically built to counter it basically. The Patron warrior in the end is like old miracle rouge; it does not play your opponent but it plays to draw the required cards and then do a One Turn Win no matter the health of the opponent which is also why I hope they'll simply do a minor change to Patrons (3/2 instead of 3/3 or upping mana cost by one or two to delay it etc.) even though it's the most skill intensive deck out there.

From: http://www.liquidhearth.com/forum/hearthstone/495696-power-rank-september-93-patron-druid-handlock

Midrange Druid is a fair bit more common in that sample. Patron is nowhere near as dominant as Miracle was.

nesf wrote: »
    From: http://www.liquidhearth.com/forum/hearthstone/495696-power-rank-september-93-patron-druid-handlock

Midrange Druid is a fair bit more common in that sample. Patron is nowhere near as dominant as Miracle was.

Similarly: https://tempostorm.com/hearthstone/meta-snapshot

Tempostorm have Patron Warrior far above the other decks. PW is strong as all hell.

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    Similarly: https://tempostorm.com/hearthstone/meta-snapshot

Tempostorm have Patron Warrior far above the other decks. PW is strong as all hell.

It's the whole tournament vs ladder issue. In a tournament Patron isn't as strong because people will bring definitely bring Handlock/Druid decks that are bad match ups for it. On ladder though Patron will get much more easy matchups than either of those two.

I'm unsure if it *needs* balancing or it's a problem of the decks that are bad matchups for it needing a lot of legendaries and being slow so being less common on ladder. Games shouldn't be balanced around how many cards people have/don't have.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Change the mechanics of the game and you dont have to nerf any cards.

The patron problem is just the latest in a long line of problems since beta......and they make this mistake every time with mage cards, hunter cards, rogue cards, neutrals etc. They all do the same thing. Draw tons of cards and One turn kills with no board presence. If they nerf patron but leave the game as is, some new deck will replace it. You end the cycle by treating the disease and not the symptom.

So you leave the patron cards alone and simply limit the amount of damage a hero can take in one turn. 10 damage limit per turn, the problem is solved. "Problem" cards suddenly arent a problem any more. They are still good, just not broken.....and the designers are no longer hamstrung. They can go wild with new ideas safe in the knowledge that one turn kills are no longer possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Mukla's Champion is getting seriously abused in the last few weeks as well.

• Advertisement

I don't think I've seen any Mukla's champions at all out there, either on streams or in my own xp. I do think the card can be good though.
    nesf wrote: »
    I'm unsure if it *needs* balancing or it's a problem of the decks that are bad matchups for it needing a lot of legendaries and being slow so being less common on ladder. Games shouldn't be balanced around how many cards people have/don't have.
    I do think the deck needs balancing to some degree, but I don't think it needs to pummelled into the ground. There are a million good suggestions out there for blizzard to choose from. They just need to choose one of them. Side note, but Shredder should be a 4/2 imo as well.
    Kirby wrote: »
    So you leave the patron cards alone and simply limit the amount of damage a hero can take in one turn. 10 damage limit per turn, the problem is solved. "Problem" cards suddenly arent a problem any more. They are still good, just not broken.....and the designers are no longer hamstrung. They can go wild with new ideas safe in the knowledge that one turn kills are no longer possible.
    There's absolutely no way they're going to do this, and neither do I think they should. Ofc, it is a solution, but it kills agro completely, which is a valid and necessary component of the meta. Not even that, if you fight for the board and win that fight with zoo for instance, and have a few 2, 3 and 4 attack minions, you should be allowed to throw them all into face without some arbitrary number stopping you.

The changes they need to make can be done on the problem cards, such as making Frothing a 2/2 or more conservatively a 2/3, or making Warsong only give temp charge to minions while they have 3 attack or less.

Kirby wrote: »
    Change the mechanics of the game and you dont have to nerf any cards.

The patron problem is just the latest in a long line of problems since beta......and they make this mistake every time with mage cards, hunter cards, rogue cards, neutrals etc. They all do the same thing. Draw tons of cards and One turn kills with no board presence. If they nerf patron but leave the game as is, some new deck will replace it. You end the cycle by treating the disease and not the symptom.

No rush, 20 mins pls?

Stop throwing sonic booms and fight me like a man, zoning is lame!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭GodlessM

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    Secret Paladin is strong, but doesn't even come close to Patron Warrior. PW is extremely consistent as it has many win conditions and draws a lot of cards. However, it does require some practice to play, and thus you maybe wont have played people who are too good at.

People are constantly posting stories about how they lost 45 health to PW in one turn when they had no minions on their board. That's a problem.

I would agree. I have found Secret Paladin very good but very inconsistent. Drawing your secrets or not drawing your Challenger are very common things that kill the strategy, and even when it works, you need board control somewhat before dropping the Challenger to make it really count.

Though I do think Patron a little over hyped. But not nearly as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

can someone check if it's working for them? I'm getting message Oopw! playful spirits have disrupted heartstone....

quick question while im here, what is crafting for?

edit: panic over its back up!

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Shougeki

You can "destroy" a card and get crafting mats for it, and then create other cards. You generally get 1/2 the value for destroying a card. And gold cards are worth double. Basically it means, especially at the begining, you can get rid of crap to get those great commons/rares that improve your chances.

40? - Common
    100 - Rare
    400 - Epic
    1600 - Legendary

can someone check if it's working for them? I'm getting message Oopw! playful spirits have disrupted heartstone....

edit: panic over its back up!

There was scheduled maintenance this morning.

I unlocked all the basic cards and then started on the ranking, won a few games to get to level 20, now its like ive hit a wall, sometimes i barely recognise a card the other players have! Time to craft I guess! How is it players have so many cards yet such a high level, would they have set up new accounts for a clean slate?

What level would you boardies be?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,315 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I unlocked all the basic cards and then started on the ranking, won a few games to get to level 20, now its like ive hit a wall, sometimes i barely recognise a card the other players have! Time to craft I guess! How is it players have so many cards yet such a high level, would they have set up new accounts for a clean slate?

What level would you boardies be?
    Everyone get reset every month which puts most around level 20 (that's the minimum level you can't go below) :)

What! So what's the point of ranking up if it's just going to be reset?

• Advertisement

What! So what's the point of ranking up if it's just going to be reset?

Better rewards, once the month is over you will get a chest to open.

Okay I see. Instantly less arsed with the ranking though that's a pity. No wonder when I hit 20 the standard **** up ha

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Shougeki

now its like ive hit a wall, sometimes i barely recognise a card the other players have! Time to craft I guess!

Look for some decks titled "F2P" or "Budget" on somewhere like hearthpwn.com. These are essentially free to play decks, that require a few non basic cards crafted. I'm not sure what they are like now, but back where there was only the base, a lot of the cards were viable across different classes.

Trump (best streamer/YTer for HS imo) goes through both the basic decks you can create for free and shows you the most important tenants of playing HS.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭GodlessM

He is cringe worthy to watch though; no charisma, "I play this deck because my spreadsheet told me to."

GodlessM wrote: »
    He is cringe worthy to watch though; no charisma, "I play this deck because my spreadsheet told me to."
    Kripperian and Forsen FTW! Seriously though I find watching HS streamers in general is not all too much fun and I rather watch their youtube summaries of the decks/cards I'm interested in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

Kripperian and Forsen FTW! Seriously though I find watching HS streamers in general is not all too much fun and I rather watch their youtube summaries of the decks/cards I'm interested in.

I rather play the game myself TBH

Got a friend into the game this week, he was still using a mage deck and went into the arena for the first time, basically he was just doing his own thing and went on to win 6 games, kinda shows how you can have all the experience and strategy you want, but sometimes blind luck and unpredictability can also work.

GodlessM wrote: »

Ah, totally disagree. Don't find him cringy at all. Just a normal dude playing HS. He plays to win and brings the best deck to the ladder. Can't blame him for that, I do too anyway.

• Advertisement

It can be educational to watch someone good at any game streaming rather than watching a "best of" selection on Youtube. Especially if they're playing a deck you play a lot yourself.

Though, I don't think play vs watch compete much, I'm usually on Twitch at times of day I'm not in the mood for playing (late at night or whatever).

Advertisement