Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HearthStone Heroes of Warcraft

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

trump is actually very funny if you like his kind of humour, as to why you watch them, like nesf says it can be educational, why did they do a move you wouldn't have etc. Try to predict their move before them.

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

trump is actually very funny if you like his kind of humour, as to why you watch them, like nesf says it can be educational, why did they do a move you wouldn't have etc. Try to predict their move before them.

Yeah, it's very subtle and dry. It's much less slapstick than most of the youtubers out there, and that's why I admire him. Anyone who can become big on streaming sites without a) shouting b) excessive cursing c) pandering entirely to 13 y/os is a legend in my eyes. See Team Spooky, Etho et al.

As for pro players doing moves I wouldn't, it's almost always the moves where I wouldn't have the balls to push through damage to the face!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Idk, I much prefer watching Day9 to Trump, though I watch both. Day9 is a much more charismatic streamer without being over the top. Not as helpful for learning plays etc though as Trump, who is tbf the better "teacher" as such.

There's room for all at the inn! :P

Day 9 definitely is on the right side of excitable when it comes to youtube streamers. His content is fantastic and I always end up laughing along with him, it's infectious!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I enjoy day9 a lot, however there is a differene in watching streams, entertainment is one aspect, learning is another. I would watch him and expect to have a laugh, not see good hearthstone. Personally love day9, kripp and trump.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭Wossack

oof, some of the early day9 hearthstone stuff was tough to watch - he's alot better nowerdays imo

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭TetraxShard

I enjoy day9 a lot, however there is a differene in watching streams, entertainment is one aspect, learning is another. I would watch him and expect to have a laugh, not see good hearthstone. Personally love day9, kripp and trump.

"How Good is Kripp?"

He's aaaaactually preeeeety good.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Looks like a new way of cheating is going around, in my last 3 ranked games and all against Mages, they have been able to play their whole hand regardless of mana, they are really slow in playing their turns as well

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,315 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Xenji wrote: »
    Looks like a new way of cheating is going around, in my last 3 ranked games and all against Mages, they have been able to play their whole hand regardless of mana, they are really slow in playing their turns as well
    Very curious how they would pull that type of cheat off; then again it's also a great way to lose an account as I'd guess it will not be very hard to track down in the logs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭GodlessM

Xenji wrote: »

Funny you mention it, but I played a Paladin with 4 Consecrations recently. Maybe somebody has figured a way to hack the game?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,315 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

GodlessM wrote: »
    Funny you mention it, but I played a Paladin with 4 Consecrations recently. Maybe somebody has figured a way to hack the game?
    Well there is that "give random paladin spell" guy or playing the legendary "Give random spell on inspire" that could explain it. Having said that based on what's above and what you say it could also be a question of glitching the connection (similar to what's been done before) to make your client think it's playing two turns (or did not play a card it actually played) etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

PATRON IS DEAD

http://us.battle.net/hearthstone/en/forum/topic/19288409377
    The following balance change will be made in an upcoming patch:

Warsong Commander now reads: Your Charge minions have +1 Attack.

Over the course of the short but impactful history of Hearthstone, we’ve taken a strong stance that we’d like to make changes to cards only when they are completely necessary. The direction of gameplay and the metagame should be defined by our players, and as the meta is evolving, many different types of decks can emerge. Cards that were once impactful in the meta can be less so once new strategies emerge, and that change is brought on by the constant need and drive for innovation by our players.

Innovation is just one way a game can evolve, and the best way to shake up the meta and innovate in Hearthstone is by introducing new cards into the game. Introducing new cards to Hearthstone is our preferred method of changing the current state of the game. It’s exciting to discover a deck that may have an advantage over a popular deck out there, and new cards lead to the discovery of new combinations, and new conversations. Hearthstone thrives off of stories about enjoying a fast-paced, fun game with friends that’s full of delightful surprises.

Going forward, we will continue to stand by our stance that we will only make adjustments to cards when we feel it is completely necessary and allow the injection of new cards into the game help our players define what the meta evolves into. In the case of Warsong Commander, we felt this change was necessary to help expand both future design space and to stand by our overarching game philosophy that battles between minions and fighting for board control is what makes Hearthstone fun and compelling.

Daaamn that's a crap way to balance the deck. Oh well!

They could have nerfed it to something like "the first minion you play each turn has charge" or "minions with attack of 3 or less have charge". Instead they killed it off completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭GodlessM

Yup. Overkill. The deck will have to adapt but won't have the same potency.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    Daaamn that's a crap way to balance the deck. Oh well!

Blizzard don't really do balancing very well. The lack of interrupts in the game is the main issue with this and Miracle Rogue before it. A lot of the mechanics like "grant Charge" are very problematic if I can't respond on your turn to you playing that card. Removing all those mechanics though would make the game rather boring whilst adding interrupts would make the game substantially harder for new people to learn.

Never retiring cards is only going to make this problem worse though.

Edit: Also, this will just return us to the days of the aggro flood. Which isn't much of an improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

It needed to happen. It happened. I'm happy about it anyway. top level ladder will be much improved.....and some hearthstone tourneys might actually be worth watching too.

I'm still irritated that they are changing cards instead of base mechanics......but something is better than nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Joshua J

Tbf blizzard can take the long view when it comes to card balancing i.e they know the future expansions and new cards that come with them so I'll defer to their judgment but they did gut patron. No harm.

never played patron, thought it was stupid, glad it's dead. Could have not gutted warsong to oblivion though.

• Advertisement

Ben Brode saying the card being a 3 mana 2/3 is part of the "soul of the card" is a load of tosh. The card is garbage now, it's a crap raid leader and they know it. The new text could be fine, if they gave the warsong 3/4 or even 2/4 stats. That makes it interesting.

They had no issue changing "the soul of the card" when it came to making starving buzzard a 5 mana 3/2 instead of a 2 mana 2/1. They've messed up completely and they couldn't be bothered to admit it.

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    Ben Brode saying the card being a 3 mana 2/3 is part of the "soul of the card" is a load of tosh. The card is garbage now, it's a crap raid leader and they know it. The new text could be fine, if they gave the warsong 3/4 or even 2/4 stats. That makes it interesting.

They had no issue changing "the soul of the card" when it came to making starving buzzard a 5 mana 3/2 instead of a 2 mana 2/1. They've messed up completely and they couldn't be bothered to admit it.

Buzzard was even worse to play against. At least with Patron they had to be somewhat safe for combo. In the bad old days of Buzzard they could combo it with UTH and Timber Wolf, and suddenly they've drawn a billion cards and have a big board of 2/1s with Charge. This gave them the swing potential to allow them to win games they'd no right to win, it was infuriating.

never played patron, thought it was stupid, glad it's dead. Could have not gutted warsong to oblivion though.

My big problem with how they did it is they killed off many deck ideas by nuking this card from orbit.

I wouldn't mind if Warrior had a good few options but we're back to Control/Fatigue or bust again.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Shougeki

nesf wrote: »
    My big problem with how they did it is they killed off many deck ideas by nuking this card from orbit.

I wouldn't mind if Warrior had a good few options but we're back to Control/Fatigue or bust again.

Ha. Rogue doesn't even have anything vaguely even resembling playable....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Blizzard need to make the other classes more appealing, gets pretty boring playing 20 Mages in a row and the odd Priest and Paladin.

Shougeki wrote: »
    Ha. Rogue doesn't even have anything vaguely even resembling playable....

Tempo Rogue should be much better now with Patron gone, not the easiest deck to play though. Other than that, yeah they've never seemed how to figure out what to do with Rogue.

It's more since Beta every viable Warrior build outside of Control has been nerfed to oblivion and Control isn't exactly the most accessible deck archetype to people not happy to buy packs. Unless you're happy to spent €60+ Warrior might as well not be viable unless you've been playing for ages.

Well with 1 free pack a week + another 3 packs from gold weekly it would not take long to gather up 60 EUR worth of cards esp. as several of those cards (Rag, Sylvanas, Ysera, Loatheb, Dr OP, Emperor, Acolyte of Pain, BGH, Armorsmith etc.) are classics in a ton of decks, another set (execute, whirlwind, fiery war axe, shield block) are basic (i.e. free). The once that are really control specific would be Gromm, Varian, Justicar (even though it's going into Paladin as well these days) and Shieldmaiden and you can easily start without those.

At 4 packs a week, it'd take over 3 months to get 60 packs worth of cards. Plus, you need adventures if you're going to run Emperor Balance, Sludge Belcher, Loatheb and especially Death's Bite, the last one is four wings into Naxx so that's 2800 gold.

Varian is not needed in Control Warrior. The odd time you will get good draws like say Ysera, Belcher and a weapon, but CW's battlecries are too valuable to not get. If your Alex gets drawn by Varian, and gets removed, that's pretty bad. He also costs too much, at 10 mana you're usually dead already anyway given that the meta is so heavily towards aggro on ladder until rank 5 or so. I would rather have Rag, and Rag is terrible in this token-filled meta.

Nody wrote: »
    Well with 1 free pack a week + another 3 packs from gold weekly it would not take long to gather up 60 EUR worth of cards esp. as several of those cards (Rag, Sylvanas, Ysera, Loatheb, Dr OP, Emperor, Acolyte of Pain, BGH, Armorsmith etc.) are classics in a ton of decks, another set (execute, whirlwind, fiery war axe, shield block) are basic (i.e. free). The once that are really control specific would be Gromm, Varian, Justicar (even though it's going into Paladin as well these days) and Shieldmaiden and you can easily start without those.

The €60 is assuming you're playing a lot and getting those packs and is lowballing the amount you'll be spending to get the cards fast. The number of legendaries needed for a competitive deck past Rank 10 is very high compared to other decks. Never mind all the epics that can find their way in and the number of epics/legendaries you want for teching against particular metas.

I wouldn't recommend anyone try and play Control Warrior without the Gromm + Alex combo when they're starting out, it's too important to the deck. You can sub any of the other legendaries with something else that does a similar job but a substitute doesn't exist for the combo in this deck, Alex is both an offensive and defensive tool and Gromm gives you far more one turn damage from hand with two cards than anything else available to Warrior.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Shougeki

nesf wrote: »
    Tempo Rogue should be much better now with Patron gone, not the easiest deck to play though. Other than that, yeah they've never seemed how to figure out what to do with Rogue.

I think I am about 100 wins off the gold hero for rogue, and been that way for months. Just can't face playing it, unless its a daily, and then i usually play face-rogue that if it hasnt won by turn4/5 is pretty much a dead duck.

Advertisement