Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HearthStone Heroes of Warcraft

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Shougeki wrote: »
    I think I am about 100 wins off the gold hero for rogue, and been that way for months. Just can't face playing it, unless its a daily, and then i usually play face-rogue that if it hasnt won by turn4/5 is pretty much a dead duck.

Oil Rogue can be fun (and frustrating): http://www.liquidhearth.com/staff/monk/PowerRank/June2015_4/Dog_Rogue.png (tons of variants)

Can do well against Hunter and after Patron disappears expect to see the game teeming with Hunters again.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,315 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Just ran into my first hacker and yes it's quite blatant at times.

Playing Tavern brawl as a Druid vs. a Hunter. Turn 1, he plays unstable ghoul. Turn 2, King Krush by the hunter, kill it. Turn 3 King Krush again, kill it again. Turn 4 King Krush and he kills me. No spells cast, no spiders to create them just "happens" to have 3 copies of the same legendary in hand... Yea...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,315 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Just ran into my first hacker and yes it's quite blatant at times.

Playing Tavern brawl as a Druid vs. a Hunter. Turn 1, he plays unstable ghoul. Turn 2, King Krush by the hunter, kill it. Turn 3 King Krush again, kill it again. Turn 4 King Krush and he kills me. No spells cast, no spiders to create them just "happens" to have 3 copies of the same legendary in hand... Yea...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

saw a pic of a guy that started with 3 tirions on reddit from his perspective, saying this brawl is stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

This brawl is fun, gives you a feel for cards you do not have yet or ones you rarely use, but you only get one copy of a legendary in your deck, unless I have been very unlucky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭GodlessM

There doesn't seem to be much tactics to it though given that you don't know your costs for the next round.

Question for those more accustomed to the rank 10-12 meta; is it normally so varied or is this a knee jerk response to the upcoming Warsong nerf?

GodlessM wrote: »
    There doesn't seem to be much tactics to it though given that you don't know your costs for the next round.

Question for those more accustomed to the rank 10-12 meta; is it normally so varied or is this a knee jerk response to the upcoming Warsong nerf?

It used to be that you didn't see the meta really bunch around a handful of currently strong decks til 5 or so and people go into "tryhard" mode. A lot of people are deck testing though from what I've seen on Reddit, so maybe that's it.

The greed is real (someone got to Legend with this today)

i2X1xQy.png

Details/Discussion: https://www.reddit.com/r/CompetitiveHS/comments/3pbk5e/legend_with_nocombo_heavy_ramp_aviana_druid/

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭billian

nesf wrote: »
    The greed is real (someone got to Legend with this today)

I played a similar deck after packing Aviana just after the TGT launch, was a hell of a lot of fun to play but the meta was too fast for it to be in any way effective.. Maybe with Patron dead I might give it another shot, been messing around with Malygos Warlock over the last few days with a really decent win rate (about 70% I'd say) so maybe control decks might be viable again

billian wrote: »
    I played a similar deck after packing Aviana just after the TGT launch, was a hell of a lot of fun to play but the meta was too fast for it to be in any way effective.. Maybe with Patron dead I might give it another shot, been messing around with Malygos Warlock over the last few days with a really decent win rate (about 70% I'd say) so maybe control decks might be viable again

Hmm, I don't see the meta slowing that much post-Patron. Hunter/Zoo suddenly become a lot more viable etc (I'm guessing it'll swing towards more F2P friendly decks than control but I could be wrong).

• Advertisement

According to Heartpwn, it looks increasingly likely that Co-op Tavern Brawls are gonna be introduced... Will be interesting to see how that plays out! I wonder if they'd even consider bringing it to constructed? Could make for some interesting new card sets!

According to Heartpwn, it looks increasingly likely that Co-op Tavern Brawls are gonna be introduced... Will be interesting to see how that plays out! I wonder if they'd even consider bringing it to constructed? Could make for some interesting new card sets!

What do you mean coop?

What do you mean coop?

As in 2v2!

As in 2v2!
    But are we talking four decks rather than two on the table, or two people playing from 1 hand and what about cross functional interactions (i.e. does my spell power give bonus to my partner etc.)?

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Shougeki

I would think more along the lines of two headed giant from magic. Two decks, shared life totals.

Shougeki wrote: »
    I would think more along the lines of two headed giant from magic. Two decks, shared life totals.
    I still remember the April prank of WoW implementing the two headed ogre as playable character with two players (each controlling half the ogre) and wish it would have been done :(

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭TetraxShard

As in 2v2!

It looks like it's going to be 2v1 with Gearmaster Mechazod as an Adventure Mode-style boss.

If anything, it's going to be closer to Archenemy from Magic the Gathering (it's playable in Duels of the Planeswalkers 2012 if you're interested, it's great fun with friends) or the old Raid Decks from the World of Warcraft TCG.

Sounds terrible, though not as terrible as the amount of Face Hunters I have seen since the patch dropped and killed Patron decks.

Sounds terrible, though not as terrible as the amount of Face Hunters I have seen since the patch dropped and killed Patron decks.

I think a lot of people celebrating the nerf forgot which decks Patron was forcing off the ladder.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

I think It's great, such an easy deck to counter nowadays

• Advertisement

I think It's great, such an easy deck to counter nowadays

Such an easy deck to be punished by for simply getting a bad draw or misfortune with the RNG, things that are likely to happen at some point. Its Hearthstone easy mode and not fun to play against over and over.

Such an easy deck to be punished by for simply getting a bad draw or misfortune with the RNG, things that are likely to happen at some point. Its Hearthstone easy mode and not fun to play against over and over.

I remember disliking playing Zoo over and over again shortly after Hearthstone launched, I was begging for those days to come back during the first Face Hunter boom.

But same is true for Paladin Secret or Mage Flame walker decks as well and I see them at least as often as I see face hunter. Honestly to me at least there classes I see most are Hunter, Mage, Warlock and Paladin closely followed by Priest and Druid. What I never see are Rogue and very rarely are Warrior with Shaman being somewhat rare but Hunters are far from dominating or have the only "I draw right you lose no matter what" deck option.

Nody wrote: »
    But same is true for Paladin Secret or Mage Flame walker decks as well and I see them at least as often as I see face hunter. Honestly to me at least there classes I see most are Hunter, Mage, Warlock and Paladin closely followed by Priest and Druid. What I never see are Rogue and very rarely are Warrior with Shaman being somewhat rare but Hunters are far from dominating or have the only "I draw right you lose no matter what" deck option.

Agreed. But Paladin Secrets at least tends to go down the draw if the draw is bad, as the Secrets draw and the Challenger doesn't.mFace Hunter though can work with almost anything it draws.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Nody wrote: »
    But same is true for Paladin Secret or Mage Flame walker decks as well

No its not. What makes Face Hunter stupid and ridiculous is that draw doesnt matter, your hand doesnt matter, tactics dont matter. You click and vomit your hand and click face. Thats it. What your opponent does or doesnt do is irrelevant. Secret paladin is nothing like that. Ebola paladin perhaps is a little closer but again, like most decks even that is draw dependent. Face hunter is not.

I played it for a day and had a really high winrate but was bored out of my tree. I switched to midrange hunter and lost more but enjoyed it more. At some point "winning is king" disappears when you arent enjoying yourself.

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

"Patron is stupid and OP, pls nerf"
    Aggro rises without patron to keep it in check
    "Aggro is stupid and OP, pls nerf"

Are we seeing a pattern here?

D4RK ONION wrote: »

People who don't understand how CCGs work not bothering to learn anything?

nesf wrote: »
    People who don't understand how CCGs work not bothering to learn anything?

CCG's of the past dont apply any more. It's comparing apples and oranges. They were a physical medium sold in stores and as such were limited by this. The newer generation of card games, such as hearthstone, are digital and therefore can and should operate differently.

Blizzards reluctance to balance the game is a bad sign. Patron should not have been allowed to exist for as long as it did. "Oh the players will adapt and the meta will shift" is a complete cop-out to allowing broken mechanics to remain. Digital allows you to alter cards quickly and easily with zero cost. It should be done more than it is. The model they had back in beta of frequent balance updates was a better one. I'm not alone in this thought process.

Aggro didnt fall and rise based on patron. Since about the third month of the game, aggro has been the most efficient and common ways to ladder. Nothing "kept it in check". It's as popular as it ever was.

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Kirby wrote: »
    Aggro didnt fall and rise based on patron. Since about the third month of the game, aggro has been the most efficient and common ways to ladder. Nothing "kept it in check". It's as popular as it ever was.

This is blatantly untrue. Aggro is so much more rampant now than it was due to the fall of patron. Other big winners include decks which didn't do great against patron but have favourable matches against super aggro, like Dragon Priest and maybe even control priest.

Also, coming from a fighting game background, I completely disagree that balancing should happen a lot more often. IMO, letting the meta shift by itself is a lot more interesting than having the company fix your problems for you. I do agree that Patron needed changing months ago, but I still maintain that the deck should have been left in some way intact.

• Advertisement

This is blatantly untrue. Aggro is so much more rampant now than it was due to the fall of patron. Other big winners include decks which didn't do great against patron but have favourable matches against super aggro, like Dragon Priest and maybe even control priest.

It's blatantly true. Face Hunter has been the most popular deck in the last year on ladder. Before that, it was zoo. Both aggro decks. Laddering is most efficient when playing aggro because of the speed of the games.

Take the streamers every month. The Amaz, Reynad, Forsen, etc. These are people who outskill most of the playerbase and could easily make it to legend with sub optimal or fun decks. But they dont. They go aggro every time because its fast and easy. You see them 2 days into the new season playing something gimmicky at rank 5, lose a few games, get frustrated and just play aggro. It's like clockwork.

And these are the good players. Most players are not good. They are bad and net deck which is why the ladder is and always has been full of aggro.

It's cheap too. Zoo and face hunter require very few expensive cards. Compare the cost of control warrior to them. It's staggeringly different. So im sorry my friend but you are way wrong on this one. Aggro was still everywhere when patron was flying high and its still there now.

Advertisement