Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HearthStone Heroes of Warcraft

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Kirby wrote: »
    CCG's of the past dont apply any more. It's comparing apples and oranges. They were a physical medium sold in stores and as such were limited by this. The newer generation of card games, such as hearthstone, are digital and therefore can and should operate differently.

Blizzards reluctance to balance the game is a bad sign. Patron should not have been allowed to exist for as long as it did. "Oh the players will adapt and the meta will shift" is a complete cop-out to allowing broken mechanics to remain. Digital allows you to alter cards quickly and easily with zero cost. It should be done more than it is. The model they had back in beta of frequent balance updates was a better one. I'm not alone in this thought process.

Blizzard being slow in making balance changes has little to do with it being a CCG and everything to do with them being Blizzard. Their other games have gotten similar treatment (too much delay then overnerf).

The CCG comment was that in CCGs you always end up with a handful of strong decks and everything else is weaker and people always complain when their favourite deck isn't one of the strong ones this time. The problem is that it's hard to predict what'll be the new strong decks when you make balance changes but there will always be some weak, some strong, you never see an even playing field across all colours/clans/classes/whatever. Making more frequent balance changes won't change this, it'll just make it messier.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,315 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

And I'm officially done with Grand Tournament by crafting the Skeleton knight as my last card in the set; now to stock up dust and gold for the next expansion.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Shougeki

Nody wrote: »
    And I'm officially done with Grand Tournament by crafting the Skeleton knight as my last card in the set; now to stock up dust and gold for the next expansion.

Just installed Innkeeper from hearthpwn so I can see how many I miss from each set :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭GodlessM

Some of the new cards look cool. Nothing ground breaking, but there are some nice options there for most. I laughed hard at Paladin getting a new secret though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Yes but its another terrible secret. Dr. 6 paladins will likely not include it. It's way too situational.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,315 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

GodlessM wrote: »
    Some of the new cards look cool. Nothing ground breaking, but there are some nice options there for most. I laughed hard at Paladin getting a new secret though.
    Well I'm happy my Murloc deck will get some new additions :P

The big question about the 10 mana murloc spell is whether its 7 copies of a murloc, or 7 different murlocs. One is worth the 10 mana, the other is garbage. It will depend on which is which. If you have 1 murloc knight in your deck does it spawn 7 of them.....or does it just spawn 1 because you only have 1. It makes a big difference.

The big question about the 10 mana murloc spell is whether its 7 copies of a murloc, or 7 different murlocs. One is worth the 10 mana, the other is garbage. It will depend on which is which. If you have 1 murloc knight in your deck does it spawn 7 of them.....or does it just spawn 1 because you only have 1. It makes a big difference.
    It's 7 murlocs that's died; if they copy previous examples (for example the summon demon from deck spell) you'd get 1/1s if you don't have 7 murlocs who've died so far.

If thats the case, it wont be played in anything pure a pure murloc deck just for fun. Which is fine I suppose.

The 4 mana 3/4 that can change an ally or enemy minion into 3/3 seems like a paladin Tinkmaster. Seems quite strong. The 4 mana slot is super saturated already but he seems like he could make the cut.

The 4 mana 3/4 that can change an ally or enemy minion into 3/3 seems like a paladin Tinkmaster. Seems quite strong. The 4 mana slot is super saturated already but he seems like he could make the cut.
    I'm not so sure; what would you use it on in reality that a owl/turn to 1 attack could not take care of? About the only target coming to mind would be Ysera or Rag.

• Advertisement

It's overwhelming versatility is its strength. Use it on your own silver hand recruit. Use it as an owl to "silence" something powerful or get rid of a deathrattle or a taunt......and still have a body. Use it to shrink something big like a giant.

Unlike BGH or Owl, its useful in every situation regardless of the board. So it will never sit dead in your hand.

It's overwhelming versatility is its strength. Use it on your own silver hand recruit. Use it as an owl to "silence" something powerful or get rid of a deathrattle or a taunt......and still have a body. Use it to shrink something big like a giant.

Unlike BGH or Owl, its useful in every situation regardless of the board. So it will never sit dead in your hand.
    But if you want to buff something you have a ton of more suitable (and cheaper) cards; hence the only real use would be to try to take out an minion which requires a suitable body to deal 4 damage on board. Is it versatile? Yes but it's very expensive versatility with very limited upside compared to the alternatives.

But there is no alternative to what it can do.

Yes, an owl can silence a minion.....but it cant kill a giant. And it has a terrible body.

BGH can kill a giant....but it cant deal with a Sylvanas or Ysera or Kelthuzzad or any number of magical creatures.

This new fellow can fulfill both roles in a single card. You dont need to run owls and BGH. Just two copies of him. And if you draw him and with no good targets, he becomes a mini quartermaster. Yes, blessing of kings offers more. But Blessing of Kings cant be turned into a silence.

Ideally he would be 3 mana but even at 4 mana its a good card. There is a reason every single deck ran Tinkmaster and blizzard nerfed it. Making it paladin only and cost 1 mana more than old tinkmaster seems their way of balancing it.

Eh? It doesn't transform the card like Tinkmaster it just sets the card's attack and health to 3. There's no silence effect. Unless there's some major mistake in the card text.

Image/Discussion: https://www.reddit.com/r/CompetitiveHS/comments/3rsykb/card_reveals_from_blizzcon_116/cwrd9b7

hmm perhaps you are right. people are comparing it to polymorph boar but you are spot on in that it doesnt actually convert the unit into anything. Good spot.

hmm perhaps you are right. people are comparing it to polymorph boar but you are spot on in that it doesnt actually convert the unit into anything. Good spot.
    Compare it to Voljin; for 1 mana you get a 5 / big health creature vs. a 3/4 creature and Voljin is not a mandatory card in priest who suffer more in terms of dealing with big stuff.

Nody wrote: »
    Compare it to Voljin; for 1 mana you get a 5 / big health creature vs. a 3/4 creature and Voljin is not a mandatory card in priest who suffer more in terms of dealing with big stuff.

You can play KoU (the new Paladin card) onto an empty board on turn 4 and only be slightly annoyed. Voljin is a dead card in hand until there's a target. (3/4 for 4 is bad but 6/2 for 5 is *awful*) Voljin doesn't reduce attack so you normally need to kill whatever Voljin has swapped health with. KoU doesn't have this problem, it'll be a 3/4 vs a 3/3.

Voljin is a bigger swing when you pull it off but it requires more conditions to be met before playing it doesn't feel terrible. I don't think they're hugely comparable. I think arguing KoU vs Peacekeeper is more interesting.

Just had my longest game (in terms of turns) of Hearthstone to date; game only ended 16 turns without cards and of course it was Control Warrior vs. Control Warrior (we both emptied our decks at 15 health and 60 armor).

• Registered Users Posts: 44 RazorMcBlade

nesf wrote: »
    Eh? It doesn't transform the card like Tinkmaster it just sets the card's attack and health to 3. There's no silence effect. Unless there's some major mistake in the card text.

Don't think there is mistake. Think of changing like a 1/1 minion to a 3/3 or an opponents minion down to 3/3 if it's something like an 11/11 or something a priest has doubled health twice on and then used inner fire and it's sitting at like 32/32. Just drops it to 3/3... could be handy.

Don't think there is mistake. Think of changing like a 1/1 minion to a 3/3 or an opponents minion down to 3/3 if it's something like an 11/11 or something a priest has doubled health twice on and then used inner fire and it's sitting at like 32/32. Just drops it to 3/3... could be handy.

Sorry maybe I was unclear. A transform effect replaces the card with a new card with the new attack/health (i.e. removing card text, so it works as a silence as well as a stat buff/debuff). There was a card that did this before it was nerfed many, many months ago (Tinkmaster) and it used to function in decks as both a silence and a way to deal with big hitters. Kirby mistook the effect you describe as being a transform effect (so you get silence + make it 3/3) which would make the card rather overpowered.

I'm really not saying it's a bad card, I think it's close to an autopick in arena. I just wanted to point out that it wasn't a transform effect as this is rather important.

• Advertisement

Sorry maybe I was unclear. A transform effect replaces the card with a new card with the new attack/health (i.e. removing card text, so it works as a silence as well as a stat buff/debuff). There was a card that did this before it was nerfed many, many months ago (Tinkmaster). Kirby mistook the effect you describe as being a transform effect (so you get silence + make it 3/3) which would make the card rather overpowered.

I'm really not saying it's a bad card, I think it's close to an autopick in arena. I just wanted to point out that it wasn't a transform effect as this is rather important.

Ah I understand now. Still kind of new. Been mostly a casual player. But have recently begun to play more frequently with more time. I am not as good as most I see, mostly because I can't afford to buy packs which means there are many cards I don't have. I have a decent freeze Mage deck and like using the Secret Paladin (Both of these decks could be stronger for sure though).

Ah I understand now. Still kind of new. Been mostly a casual player. But have recently begun to play more frequently with more time. I am not as good as most I see, mostly because I can't afford to buy packs which means there are many cards I don't have. I have a decent freeze Mage deck and like using the Secret Paladin (Both of these decks could be stronger for sure though).

If you haven't watched Trump's series for new players it's worth a look still: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLvEIxIeBRKSjprrvlbAcbVjzHsnH9PjDX

Hello... Moved to Ireland from Canada about a year ago now and just found out about boards.ie when I was looking to see if anyone here in Ireland plays Hearthstone. Obviously I figured there would be but wanted to see if I could find some place online to discuss it. If you would like to add me as a friend on battle.net, my Battle Tag is: RazorMcBlade#1377
    I am not quite a noob to Hearthstone, but been more of a casual player as I mostly play World of Warcraft.
    So just thought I would say hello and introduce myself. Cheers.

Hello... Moved to Ireland from Canada about a year ago now and just found out about boards.ie when I was looking to see if anyone here in Ireland plays Hearthstone. Obviously I figured there would be but wanted to see if I could find some place online to discuss it. If you would like to add me as a friend on battle.net, my Battle Tag is: RazorMcBlade#1337
    I am not quite a noob to Hearthstone, but been more of a casual player as I mostly play World of Warcraft.

Welcome to the community. :)

I sent you a request there under a name you won't be able to pronounce! :D (I don't play much at the moment though)

Hello... Moved to Ireland from Canada about a year ago now and just found out about boards.ie when I was looking to see if anyone here in Ireland plays Hearthstone. Obviously I figured there would be but wanted to see if I could find some place online to discuss it. If you would like to add me as a friend on battle.net, my Battle Tag is: RazorMcBlade#1337
    I missed typed my Battle Tag... DOH!!
    The corrected Battle Tag is: RazorMcBlade#1377

Sorry :)

Welcome to the community. :)

I sent you a request there under a name you won't be able to pronounce! :D (I don't play much at the moment though)

You might have to resend it, I miss typed my Battle Tag. It is: RazorMcBlade#1377

You might have to resend it, I miss typed my Battle Tag. It is: RazorMcBlade#1377

Resent there.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Anyone excited for the new adventure?? Seems like no time at all since we got TGT and now another adventure :D I looooooved Naxxramus and Blackrock Mountain, easily the most fun modes of Hearthstone. None of the new cards really stand out to me yet but I think playing with them is the only way to get an idea of how good/bad/meh a card can be.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭billian

Anyone excited for the new adventure?? Seems like no time at all since we got TGT and now another adventure :D I looooooved Naxxramus and Blackrock Mountain, easily the most fun modes of Hearthstone. None of the new cards really stand out to me yet but I think playing with them is the only way to get an idea of how good/bad/meh a card can be.

Yeah I'm very much looking forward to it! The adventures are great fun and something different to play, especially with ladder being a bit of a grind this month considering how crazy the meta is! I'm also VERY excited to see how the new Discover mechanic pans out. I have high hopes for it!

• Advertisement

billian wrote: »
    Yeah I'm very much looking forward to it! The adventures are great fun and something different to play, especially with ladder being a bit of a grind this month considering how crazy the meta is! I'm also VERY excited to see how the new Discover mechanic pans out. I have high hopes for it!
    I don't think it will have a great impact in general due to the cards it's placed on honestly; there are two or three cards in there that I'm interested in and none for my main decks currently which is disappointing (well maybe that druid 1 mana cost discover one because that's got potential to be quite OP); the previous adventure cards definitely were more relevant (talking ranked constructed).

Advertisement