Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HearthStone Heroes of Warcraft

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭billian

RIP Midrange Paladin! Hahaha

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Wow! This is super exciting. There will be a big enough impact with just Naxxramus and GVG being gone out of the meta, but in the years to come, think of how awesome it will be to have constantly shifting card pools :D I love the idea of Wild mode as well - with all the future expansions, this mode will be absolutely nuts! They really came up with a fantastic idea here, should definitely keep the game fresh in the years to come. Look at MTG for instance, they've had to start disallowing the first expansions at tournaments now because their card pool is just too massive.

Also, 18 DECK SLOTS! THE GODS HAVE LISTENED :pac:

It's actually insane to think that cards like Shredder, Dr Boom, Belcher, Mad Scientist and Zombie Chow aren't gonna be available... Really looking forward to seeing what kind of decks people come up with for standard mode

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

So, MTG block format (ish) then essentially. Or what people have been telling them is needed since the beginning in other words. :P

Robbed from Reddit:
    Naxxramas:
    Avenge (Paladin)
    Dark Cultist (Priest)
    Death's Bite (Warrior)
    Duplicate (Mage)
    Haunted Creeper (Neutral)
    Mad Scientist (Neutral)
    Voidcaller (Warlock)
    Webspinner (Hunter)
    Zombie Chow (Neutral)
    Deathlord (Neutral)
    Nerubian Egg (Neutral)
    Sludge Belcher (Neutral)
    Shade of Naxxramas (Neutral)
    Fuegen/Stalagg (Neutral)
    Loatheb (Neutral)

Goblins vs. Gnomes

Annoy O Tron (Neutral)
    Antique Healbot (Neutral)
    Clockwork Gnome (Neutral)
    Cogmaster (Neutral)
    Crackle (Shaman)
    Darkbomb (Warlock)
    Explosive Sheep (Neutral)
    Flamecannon (Mage)
    Glaivezooka (Hunter)
    Goblin Auto Barber (Rogue)
    Mechanical Yeti (Neutral)
    Mechwarper (Neutral)
    Piloted Shredder (Neutral)
    Shielded Minibot (Paladin)
    Shrinkmiester (Priest)
    Snowchugger (Mage)
    Tinker's Sharpsword Oil (Rogue)
    Velen's Chosen (Priest)
    Whirling Zap O Matic (Shaman)
    Bomb Lobber (Neutral)
    Goblin Blastmage (Mage)
    Implosion (Warlock)
    Kezan Mystic (Neutral)
    Light of the Naaru (Priest)
    Muster for Battle (Paladin)
    Shieldmaiden (Warrior)
    Unstable Portal (Mage)
    Coghammer (Paladin)
    Echo of Medivh (Mage)
    Fel Reaver (Neutral)
    Hobgoblin (Neutral)
    Lightbomb (Priest)
    Piloted Sky Golem (Neutral)
    Quartermaster (Paladin)
    Dr. Boom (Neutral)
    Mal'Ganis (Warlock)
    Neptulon (Shaman)
    Sneed's Old Shredder (Neutral)
    Vol'jin (Priest)

Discussion: https://www.reddit.com/r/CompetitiveHS/comments/43vhfd/official_new_format_discussion_thread/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

There's a blog on the US Blizzard forums as well with more details. Once this new mode hits (same time as the Spring expansion apparently!), anything not available for play in Standard won't be available for purchase in the store. No more buying GVG or Naxx. You can still craft those cards with dust (even old adventure cards now).

That's a big shame, IMO, as the solo adventures are easily the most fun part of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Shougeki

billian wrote: »
    It's actually insane to think that cards like Shredder, Dr Boom, Belcher, Mad Scientist and Zombie Chow aren't gonna be available... Really looking forward to seeing what kind of decks people come up with for standard mode

Maybe Rogue willbe viable again!
    No more buying GVG or Naxx. You can still craft those cards with dust (even old adventure cards now).

That's a big shame, IMO, as the solo adventures are easily the most fun part of the game.

Hmm, I have 110 out of 138 cards. Might see what is missing....

Shougeki wrote: »
    Maybe Rogue willbe viable again!

I've actually been playing a tempo rogue deck this month and doing OK with it, probably about 50-60% win rate. Up to rank 13 with it

Hmm, I have 110 out of 138 cards. Might see what is missing....

Seems its a few useless epics and a few viable legendaries, so guess ill not bother with any packs from these :P
    I've actually been playing a tempo rogue deck this month and doing OK with it, probably about 50-60% win rate. Up to rank 13 with it

Im playing a mage tempo deck currently. I generally don't bother with trying too hard in the ladder, but last month i got drunk and went 15 -> 7 on the final day pretty easily. Havent tried this month yet as I found out you could grind 400G a day in Magic Duels, so I am hammering the **** outta that after work most evening currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭GodlessM

I don't think Standard will be as big a deal for the majority of people as hype makes it seem. It will be novelty for awhile, but unless you are entering worlds it is completely optional and you lose nothing from not playing it. Especially given how unlike cited formats are the most popular these days in most card games, I would wager Wild will still be the main mode for many.

• Advertisement

So the old Blizzard reporting system for bad behaviour doesnt seem to support Hearthstone anymore. Anyone got any idea how we are supposed to report players now?

GodlessM wrote: »
    So the old Blizzard reporting system for bad behaviour doesnt seem to support Hearthstone anymore. Anyone got any idea how we are supposed to report players now?

Happened me the other day. I raised it as a "Hearthstone - Not listed here"

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,315 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I don't think Standard will be as big a deal for the majority of people as hype makes it seem. It will be novelty for awhile, but unless you are entering worlds it is completely optional and you lose nothing from not playing it. Especially given how unlike cited formats are the most popular these days in most card games, I would wager Wild will still be the main mode for many.
    I watched Kripp's video on it and he thinks the other way around; Standard will be most used for a few reasons such as more newbie friendly, better balanced (nothing in Wild is likely ever to be balanced again unless grossly OP combo coming up ruining the format), you'll spend less (can recycle your now outdated cards to dust to get key cards in new expansion limiting the amount of packs you need to get as you only need a handful of cards per expansion usually) etc. I'm also looking forward to the nerf of the druid combo once and for all...

Personally I'm a pack rat so I'll keep a copy of every card from every expansion and play wild and standard but I think standard will let you level higher faster (less cheese decks, less variety of deck types, higher population of new players giving you a higher spot overall etc.).

Nody wrote: »
    I watched Kripp's video on it and he thinks the other way around; Standard will be most used for a few reasons such as more newbie friendly, better balanced (nothing in Wild is likely ever to be balanced again unless grossly OP combo coming up ruining the format), you'll spend less (can recycle your now outdated cards to dust to get key cards in new expansion limiting the amount of packs you need to get as you only need a handful of cards per expansion usually) etc. I'm also looking forward to the nerf of the druid combo once and for all...

Personally I'm a pack rat so I'll keep a copy of every card from every expansion and play wild and standard but I think standard will let you level higher faster (less cheese decks, less variety of deck types, higher population of new players giving you a higher spot overall etc.).

I can see myself playing both. Wild is fine now when there's roughly 1000 cards but give it a couple of years and there'll be so many different decks flying around that wild will be as its name suggests. Standard prevents power creep and allows them to print more interesting cards and shake up the meta in a meaningful way. While some people might be understandably salty because they can't use Dr Boom, Shredder or Chow any more (cards which I have in 90% of my decks) I'm looking forward to seeing what the game is like without them

While some people might be understandably salty because they can't use Dr Boom, Shredder or Chow any more (cards which I have in 90% of my decks) I'm looking forward to seeing what the game is like without them

That is part of the current problem I think. there are certain cards that are just auto-include. Cards like Boom/Shredder are just ridiculous, and I am glad they are getting rotated out.
    That being said I think I will still play Wild the odd time :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,315 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

That is part of the current problem I think. there are certain cards that are just auto-include. Cards like Boom/Shredder are just ridiculous, and I am glad they are getting rotated out.
    That being said I think I will still play Wild the odd time :P
    I'm looking forward to losing Dr 6 in a year or so personally... Anyway, with the change I wonder if any mech decks will survive? The priest dragon deck will also only have a year to live (Black rock expansion) and I think the overall meta will go much more aggressive (we're losing some of the best anti rush cards with Annoy-a-tron, Shredder, Sludge, Deathlord etc. being moved out of the meta) and I could even see freeze mage making a combat to counter it (with the ever prevalent handlock of course). Looking at cards though losing Mad Scientist (effing finally), Shade of Nax and Avenge will be nice but losing Loatheb will hurt (would not see a card with the effect recycled into classic somehow to be honest; it should be a core card available)...

Also if you're not in urgent need of dust keep any duplicates of the common (i.e. the weekly arena package cards) until they announce the nerfs etc. to come; that way you get back 100% of dust value rather than 1/4th you do currently on any cards they nerf.

I'm looking forward to losing Dr 6 in a year or so personally... Anyway, with the change I wonder if any mech decks will survive? The priest dragon deck will also only have a year to live (Black rock expansion) and I think the overall meta will go much more aggressive (we're losing some of the best anti rush cards with Annoy-a-tron, Shredder, Sludge, Deathlord etc. being moved out of the meta) and I could even see freeze mage making a combat to counter it (with the ever prevalent handlock of course). Looking at cards though losing Mad Scientist (effing finally), Shade of Nax and Avenge will be nice but losing Loatheb will hurt (would not see a card with the effect recycled into classic somehow to be honest; it should be a core card available)...

Also if you're not in urgent need of dust keep any duplicates of the common (i.e. the weekly arena package cards) until they announce the nerfs etc. to come; that way you get back 100% of dust value rather than 1/4th you do currently on any cards they nerf.

Secret Paladin is losing Avenge, Muster and all the neutral cards that gave it the perfect curve (Creeper, Shredder, Loatheb, Boom) to match the class cards.

I really wouldn't worry about Dr. 6 being rotated out. ;)

Fewer "best-in-slot" neutral cards will make things a lot more interesting. The problem wasn't Dr. Boom existing, it's that every deck could run him so it makes balancing a nightmare (some decks *need* that really strong 7 drop, some like Secret Paladin really didn't).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

What would people recommend spending gold on before the changes come in, just fill out the rest of the classic cards I am missing or go for GvG for dust, or just hoard the gold for when the new set comes out?

Xenji wrote: »
    What would people recommend spending gold on before the changes come in, just fill out the rest of the classic cards I am missing or go for GvG for dust, or just hoard the gold for when the new set comes out?

Probably hoard it. Gold will be better than dust from GvG.

Myself, I have a tendency to not bother Hoarding until a few weeks before the release. I play after work a couple of days a week for a few hours. Probably 20 or so per week? To me throwing some cash for some boosters or a PVE adventure is fine as I am getting hours of play time out of the game.

Classic should give you more dust over all simply because classic cards will likely get nerfs (and each nerfed card can then be dusted for full creation value) and classic cards will always be used in standard were as the new set is only going to be active for 2 years.

• Advertisement

Yeah I agree with the others, buying GvG packs would be a waste of money. You could probably still craft certain cards from it if you want to play wild. I'm not too sure what the story will be with tavern brawls and whether they'll use the standard or wild sets for the 'build your own deck' brawls.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Wait til you see how many cards are nerfed, if it is lots you can get those packs.

Personally I'm interested in a full collection more than anything so gvg may be the best bet now.
    I tend to never get classic packs as the daily rewards mean you will eventually get a full classic collection anyway.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Wait til you see how many cards are nerfed, if it is lots you can get those packs.

Personally I'm interested in a full collection more than anything so gvg may be the best bet now.
    I tend to never get classic packs as the daily rewards mean you will eventually get a full classic collection anyway.

Keep gold as a new expansion is coming out soon.

Keep gold as a new expansion is coming out soon.

Where did you see that?

They said that the new formats are coming with the next expansion, which was slated as "soon".

http://us.battle.net/hearthstone/en/blog/19995505/a-new-way-to-play-2-2-2016

Release the Kraken!
    Standard format will arrive this spring! When the momentous moment arrives, you’ll be able to build Standard decks using the following sets:

Basic
    Classic
    Blackrock Mountain
    The Grand Tournament
    The League of Explorers
    The Spring 2016 Expansion

Curse of Naxxramas and Goblins vs Gnomes will not be part of Standard. When we release the first new Expansion each year, every set that wasn’t released in the same year or the year prior will cycle out and no longer be part of the Standard format.

And the year after that we lose Blackrock, Grand Tournament and Leage of Explorers; funnily enough I think Blackrock will have the biggest impact overall (no Dragon priest, no tempo mage, no Grim Patron deck, no emperor) where as TGT will only really lose face shaman (most likely new cards to fix it) and druids lose a bit of tempo (Darnassus Aspirant, living roots) but most other cards can easily enough be covered for most decks and loss of League will have no major impact except for the Highlander style decks.

Which means we can expect a second Adventure early summer (because introducing them in December means they rotate out within a year) and most likely one or two Adentures for the second half as the new routine (Adventures are cheap and easier to throw in and if they rotate out early it's not as big of a deal as a full expansion) with every spring bringing out a new expansion.

(Adventures are cheap and easier to throw in and if they rotate out early it's not as big of a deal as a full expansion) with every spring bringing out a new expansion.

"Same year or prior."

IE everything released this year, will still be valid next year. Something that comes in in Autumn/Winter is still valid for the whole following year.

"Same year or prior."

IE everything released this year, will still be valid next year. Something that comes in in Autumn/Winter is still valid for the whole following year.
    Yes but an expansion released in December would only be valid for a year compared to it being released in February basically.

• Advertisement

Has anyone else been watching the Curse Trials tournament? Some CRAAZZYYY matches! Interesting to see the decks the pros are coming up with ahead of Standard

Advertisement