Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

house train puppy

• 20-08-2013 11:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

Just got a pup. Always had dogs growing up but out of touch a bit. looking for some advice on house training.

I bring the dog outside regularly to go to toilet and give loads of praise when she does it outside. If I catch her doing it indoors I give out to her and tell her NO, put her nose in it and bring her outside and repeat the "toilet" word.

The thing I am not sure of is this.... when I come down in the morning and she has pee or poo on the floor is there any point in giving out to her as the moment has passed and she may be unaware what she is being giving out to for. Is there any point in giving out then or should I just clean up and move along?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

There is no need to give out, period. Rather if you catch the pup doing it rush it out instead and praise, praise, praise out there. Negative training simply is out dated and out of order, full stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭my user name

Nody wrote: »
    There is no need to give out, period. Rather if you catch the pup doing it rush it out instead and praise, praise, praise out there. Negative training simply is out dated and out of order, full stop.

thanks - but that does not answer my question

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Hooked

Just got a pup. Always had dogs growing up but out of touch a bit. looking for some advice on house training.

I bring the dog outside regularly to go to toilet and give loads of praise when she does it outside. If I catch her doing it indoors I give out to her and tell her NO, put her nose in it and bring her outside and repeat the "toilet" word.

The thing I am not sure of is this.... when I come down in the morning and she has pee or poo on the floor is there any point in giving out to her as the moment has passed and she may be unaware what she is being giving out to for. Is there any point in giving out then or should I just clean up and move along?

Loads of similar topics if you do a search. My own advice... If I was in your shoes I'd be looking into 'crate training' - it does far more than toilet train.

Do not give out to the dog after the fact, they have no idea what you're giving our for - as they won't connect the eliminating to the scolding. And deffo don't rub her nose in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Ok stop putting her nose in it - it's a cruel and an outdated training method. Young puppies have no bladder control so it's no fair imo to punish them because you didn't spot the signs/take them out sooner. Pretty much every time my pup (we're housetraining atm too) has an accident we can look back and see where we missed that she went to the door or had been playing so we should have been pro-active and taken her out etc.
    Our pup is 12 weeks - we bring her out all the time and say the toilet word - loads of praise and a treat when she goes. If there's an accident we say no and bring her out, if we find an accident we just clean it up and no scolding because it's our our fault!

For night time you need to start taking her out at night - if you crate the pup it'll be a lot easier because they won't usually want to go to the loo where they sleep. You'll either have to listen out for the pup crying or set your alarm. I have my pup's crate upstairs so can hear her when she cries to go out. She wakes up at most once a night - some nights she's sleeping from 12-6 which is when I get up anyways so all good :p

It takes time and patience - sometimes you want to just go inside instead of putting them back in the same place saying 'busy busy' again and again but it gets easier - our pup has had 2 accidents in the last week and we've only had her 4 weeks today. Both times it was my fault for not taking her out quick enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

DO NOT PUT HER NOSE IN IT!! What is with people doing this to a little puppy?

That is cruel and outdated so please dont do that to the little pup, its only a baby and it doesnt know that it has done wrong.

You need to have time and patience. It can take weeks, even months to train a puppy so you need to put the work in.

To answer your question, no do not give out in the morning. Its not the pups fault. It cant hold it in all night so its up to YOU to let the pup out during the night, or get up earlier until its strong enough to hold it in all night.

I highly suggest crate training.

• Advertisement

jebbtools.ie for crates OP - they should give a boards.ie discount at this stage since we all recommend them lol! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭robocode

I really recommend a crate! Our little fella has been in the crate for just over a week and already sleeping peacefully until I bring him out around 7am. No more accidents in the house, he waits until he's on the grass. It's brilliant!

thanks for all the replies.

currently she sleeps in the utility and has a doggie bed and mattress in it. she is quite comfortable in it. During the day she is outdoors in a kennel and is happy to go into it.

When I take her outside at night and say the word "toilet" she generally will do her business and go back inside.

I don't want to get the crate at the moment and wish to try other methods.....

What should I do in the morning when she has soiled the floor????

thanks for all the replies.

currently she sleeps in the utility and has a doggie bed and mattress in it. she is quite comfortable in it. During the day she is outdoors in a kennel and is happy to go into it.

When I take her outside at night and say the word "toilet" she generally will do her business and go back inside.

I don't want to get the crate at the moment and wish to try other methods.....

Do nothing. Just clean it up.

But you aren't trying other methods?? You can't just leave her all night without taking her outside and expect her to hold it all night.

You need to take her out during the night or you are going to have accidents at night as she can't hold it in.
    The crate will really help this but you need to put in the work now.

All you can do is clean it up. If you're not taking her out during the night then you're not giving her any other option. Also imo you're going to delay the training process because you're effectivly telling her it's ok to go to the loo inside?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

isnt she a little young to be outside all day in a kennel? :confused:

I think it depends on the dog - my pup would quite happily keep herself occupied outside for hours if we let her - eating plants and stones and getting into mischief!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

tk123 wrote: »
    I think it depends on the dog - my pup would quite happily keep herself occupied outside for horus if we let her - eating plants and stones and getting into mischief!

a dog yes, a tiny puppy though? i think they need more interaction than that. anyway i digress.

I would be happy enough for her to be outside during the day.... she is in a kennel in a sheltered spot. She has pillow and blanket in kennel and it is not that cold during the day.

I would be happy enough for her to be outside during the day.... she is in a kennel in a sheltered spot. She has pillow and blanket in kennel and it is not that cold during the day.

How old is she? Is she on her own all day?

andreac wrote: »
    How old is she? Is she on her own all day?

12 weeks. on her own for 6-7hours

I think you really need to step it up in terms of house training because you are expecting too much without putting much work in. It's unfair to expect a 12 week
    Old pup to hold it in all night, they just can't do it. If you put in the work now it will pay off on the long run.

So I suggest getting up once during the night to let the pup out and gradually increase the time then during the night so eventually you can leave her all night.

Their bladders are weak at this age so they physically can't hold it on for long.

Please don't rub the pups nose in its business anymore. That's just cruel and it gets you nowhere and the poor pup has no idea why it's happening to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭robocode

I disagree that they can't hold it all night. Ours is 12 weeks and if we make sure he goes before bed at half ten or 11 then he's good until around half 6 or 7. The first few nights we needed to bring him out once or twice during the night but he has quickly settled and sleeps soundly now. It's tiring initially but so worth it. We started with the utility room and newspaper approach but that was going nowhere. I'd have no hesitation recommending crate training to anyone. You stick with it and you're laughing!

robocode wrote: »
    I disagree that they can't hold it all night. Ours is 12 weeks and if we make sure he goes before bed at half ten or 11 then he's good until around half 6 or 7. !

Same here thank god! :p OP what time do you give the last meal - I give it before 7 so she'll poop before bed.

I think if pups have had decent toilet training from the word go then have better chance of holding it all night at a young age.
    But most pups won't be able to hold it in all night if they have had no training.

• Advertisement

tk123 wrote: »
    Same here thank god! :p OP what time do you give the last meal - I give it before 7 so she'll poop before bed.

gets fed in morning about 9.... she generally nibbles on it and eats later.... always leaves food in bowl by end of day.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

gets fed in morning about 9.... she generally nibbles on it and eats later.... always leaves food in bowl by end of day.....

You shouldn't realy leave it all day set times to feed her if she doesn't eat it in half an hour remove it

How many times a day are you feeding her? At 12 weeks she needs at least 3 if not 4 meals a day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

You've had some great advice already. One more thing to add, whatever goes in comes out not too long after. Always try to bring the puppy out for a play after eating, and she'll learn to go outside.

The piddling is a little harder, because as someone mentioned they often pee during the night because they can't hold it. Just keep persevering, don't rub her nose in it, and clean up the spot she goes in thoroughly, because she'll be attracted to peeing on the same spot if she gets the scent. Also praise and praise. My little one took a long time to get the peeing outdoor, now at 2.5 if I bring her out at night and say 'have a pee' she still goes for me, sometimes I think she just pretends but hey! It will sink in after a while, patience is key.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

You really do need to take her out to pee during the night. It's annoying, but it's better in the long run. She may have started weeing indoors at night because she couldn't hold it but now she has no idea that she's not supposed to do it. If you put her out for her last wee before you go to bed (lets say you go to bed at 12 and get up at 7). If I were you I'd get up at 3:30 for the first week to take her out, 3:40 the next week, 3:50 the next, and so on until you have her holding it all night. That way she'll learn that you'll take her out for a wee, she only has to wait for you.

And if she has an accident during the night don't punish her or give out; she honestly has no idea why she's being punished.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 jcoll2013

I know you said you don't want to try the crate but can't recommend it enough. I have a four month old puppy and she has been in the crate since we got her and it really works. It helps the puppy develop bladder control at night which means the puppy can control when not to pee...some people hate the idea of them but they really are in the puppies best interest. When the puppy soils during the night no point in giving out to her the next morning, she will not understand and it could do more harm than good!!

Advertisement