Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nexus 5

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

gagging for this Nexus 5 release, lost my htc one x recently.. RIP. currently rocking a spare 6310i, only charged twice in last 2 weeks !! :)

Ye reckon its a given Irish customers will have to jump through God knows how many location spoofing hoops, and hopefully do it fast enough before stock is depleted ?

Any pre-emptive preparation tricks one n00b Nexus purchaser should know ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Stuxnet wrote: »
    Any pre-emptive preparation tricks one n00b Nexus purchaser should know ?
    Yes, 3 things.

1 - Signup to TunnelBear to proxy through the UK.
    2 - Register with Parcel Motel for your UK to Ireland address.
    3 - Change your default address to the new Parcel Motel address in Google Wallet.
    4 - Wait... ;)

Process was the same for N4 - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056878068

PS: Works fine with Ulster Bank Visa Debit (what I test with).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

sweet. cheers man :)

Have PM already, ...good idea to switch GW address :)

waiting... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

So what are we expecting from the Google event today?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

So what are we expecting from the Google event today?

Expecting... Play store updates.

Hoping...
    Play Store - Devices available in Ireland.
    N10(2),
    N5 and
    A.KK.4.4

Though I have an N10, so won't be upgrading. And thanks to 5starpool (GNex is much smoother since getting rid of Chrome), I don't think I'll be upgrading to the N5 either (though that could change)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

I thought most of the usual Android sites were saying that this isn't going to be a Nexus event? Haven't been keeping up to date though but the impression I got previously was that the is was a Google Play Store event.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I thought most of the usual Android sites were saying that this isn't going to be a Nexus event? Haven't been keeping up to date though but the impression I got previously was that the is was a Google Play Store event.

That seems to be the line all right. Strange that they would have a non device event so close to the time when devices are due to be released though. Perhaps it is to separate software and hardware launches, and they might announce the nexus launch date at it? Oct 31st has been a mooted launch date for the N5 for a while anyhow.

Yep, you are right, no word from anywhere that it is anything but playstore related.

The press invitations were very specific about it and there didn't appear to be any hints on the design/content of the invitation that Nexus (Or KK) were being unveiled.

I'd be surprised if Google launched such hardware and software upgrades without a specific (and well advertised) event

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

5starpool wrote: »
    That seems to be the line all right. Strange that they would have a non device event so close to the time when devices are due to be released though. Perhaps it is to separate software and hardware launches, and they might announce the nexus launch date at it? Oct 31st has been a mooted launch date for the N5 for a while anyhow.

Well hopefully they will announce expansion of Play Store services into more countries. Would be great if we got access to devices and movies/TV.

I'm hoping they are getting ready for a more successful launch than the woeful N4 launch by prepping Play Stores worldwide though they would need much more stock of N5s if they were to open up device stores to more regions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

Was there anytime given for this event?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Was there anytime given for this event?

7pm EST / Midnight here

http://www.t3.com/news/google-sends-out-invites-for-october-24th-event

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

The event being at 7PM suggests to me that it's some kind of celebration of the success of Google Play since it was launched.

It's kind of after hours for tech journo's who might probably work 9 to 5. It could be we won't see any 'announcements' from this thing.

Is the event being live streamed? This could be a sign if they plan to announce stuff or not?

Either way, I hope I'm totally wrong and we get the N5 announced tonight :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Also think we are not getting much from this. As it's on so late (over here) I don't think anything play store announcements or tech are meant for us.

But as always I'm happy to be wrong!

Uriel. wrote: »
    Expecting... Play store updates.

Hoping...
    Play Store - Devices available in Ireland.
    N10(2),
    N5 and
    A.KK.4.4

Though I have an N10, so won't be upgrading. And thanks to 5starpool (GNex is much smoother since getting rid of Chrome), I don't think I'll be upgrading to the N5 either (though that could change)

What do you mean by getting rid of chrome?

brenbrady wrote: »
    What do you mean by getting rid of chrome?

I found out that my Galaxy Nexus worked much faster when I stopped using chrome on it. It's not a problem on my N10, but it was hanging, and my keyboard was really temperamental, but once I uninstalled chrome it improved a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hayezer

Complete noob to this altogether, what kind of price is rumoured for this? My phones broken and I'm thinking of going for HTC One Mini or something but I heard about this and I'm seeing some cheap enough prices being mentioned, seems too good to be true

Hayezer wrote: »
    Complete noob to this altogether, what kind of price is rumoured for this? My phones broken and I'm thinking of going for HTC One Mini or something but I heard about this and I'm seeing some cheap enough prices being mentioned, seems too good to be true

Rumoured prices were something like £279 for the 16gb version, and £329 for the 32gb version, so probably €350-€420 incl delivery. Far from official though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

I wonder will google retain the N4 post launch of the N5.
    Or will they prefer to have the one handset available.

Im tempted to replace my aging Galaxy S1... & i'm thinking of picking one up from the states.

I wonder will google retain the N4 post launch of the N5.
    Or will they prefer to have the one handset available.

Im tempted to replace my aging Galaxy S1... & i'm thinking of picking one up from the states.

Won't be retained save for the sake of existing stock, which I think is gone in most markets now

Uriel. wrote: »
    Won't be retained save for the sake of existing stock, which I think is gone in most markets now

Was there not talk of a 4G n4 being the 16gb and the n5 the 32gb?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

god's toy wrote: »

Cant say Ive heard of that anywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭IrishStuff09

Yeah, I heard about the LTE N4 cant remember where though

Not that I know of, save for in the period following the N4 release with the backlash. Maybe one was released in the US. It's all a blur now tbh.

But I'd find it extremely hard to believe Google would launch a variant of an older device along with the introduction of its new version.

Edit : seemed to be some scattered talk of the N4 variant last week, quoting and insider who leaked it to Android Central. Not much else. I'd honestly be very surprised to see it.
    I'd also question the capacity to manufacture the variants. LG are manufacturing the N5 the G2 and the supposed GFlex to be announced in the fourth quarter. Adding another phone into the mix to get to market would be shooting themselves in the foot to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

The N4 had an LTE chip in it, but it wasn't enabled. For a while the was some kind of fix that people could use to activate it, but it killed in an update.

Iirc, the official reason was that it hasn't been fully implemented and was unstable or something.

Sonics2k wrote: »
    The N4 had an LTE chip in it, but it wasn't enabled. For a while the was some kind of fix that people could use to activate it, but it killed in an update.

Iirc, the official reason was that it hasn't been fully implemented and was unstable or something.

Yep I know of that story but (as others have stated here) this was/is an update version that fully supports it.
    Could all be bogus for sure too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,274 ✭✭✭emo72

so like.....should we all be going ape**** now or something? is there some sort of announcement coming tonight?

Both my nexus devices are unable to log in to Google right now. Just me?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,274 ✭✭✭emo72

Both my nexus devices are unable to log in to Google right now. Just me?

i keep refreshing the devices page on google uk. come on muddaphuckas:pac:

playstore working for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭IrishStuff09

Google servers are f@"%%'d right now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Anyone got a link for a live stream of this event.

Advertisement