Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nexus 5

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭projectgtr

Guess im the only one still in love with my Nexus :D , have mine since launch and ive been due my upgrade since before Christmas but i go in store to try new phones and none appeal to me mine still feels fast, runs everything i want, battery lasts me a day no problems and even though ive the oldest phone in my job im running the latest software and smoothly. No need to move on just yet. Device support means a lot to me i just wont get what i get with any other device currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

projectgtr wrote: »
    Guess im the only one still in love with my Nexus :D

I still absolutely love mine too.

Even paying €140 to get the ****ing screen repaired on it this week! lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭projectgtr

Well for some. I pray I get this soon.

why pray? just flash it, will take a couple min ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭kellsred

youngblood wrote: »
    Anyone else wishing they had a Oneplus one for the battery life alone?
    Any nexus 5 to oneplus one converts here??

Me! I had my Nexus for 18 months, best phone I ever owned. But the last 6 weeks or so we're hell. Aside from the awful battery life, the wifi stopped working, and it would go into reboot cycles for hours until it died.
    Tried factory resetting a few times, but to no avail.
    Got the oneplus two weeks ago, it's been brilliant so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,455 ✭✭✭✭Alun

youngblood wrote: »
    Anyone else wishing they had a Oneplus one for the battery life alone?
    Any nexus 5 to oneplus one converts here??
    Kind of .. I was in two minds at the time I bought my Nexus 5, but the OneplusOne was very new at the the time and I didn't want to take the risk. If I was in the market for a new phone right now I'd make a different decision certainly but I just can't justify it right now.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,851 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

The battery is certainly pants, but I have enough chargers and a battery pack so it's not really an issue for me even thoguh it wouldn't last close to a day of normal use if I was without a charger. It has got a bit laggy over the last few months at times but hopefully 5.1 can remedy that. It's not a dealbreaker though, but it is slightly frustrating at times.

I saw a (very unsubstantiated) rumour the other day that there will be a new version of the N5 later this year around the same price point which would be good as I'd be looking to upgrade later this year. If there was a successor to this it'd either be that or the OnePlusTwo if that comes out this year also.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

5starpool wrote: »
    I saw a (very unsubstantiated) rumour the other day that there will be a new version of the N5 later this year around the same price point which would be good as I'd be looking to upgrade later this year. If there was a successor to this it'd either be that or the OnePlusTwo if that comes out this year also.

The existing N5 is gone from the play store so there could be something to that rumour alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭murfilein

i just installed the new xtrasmooth 4, based on 5.1

i have to say there is noticable improvement in loading times. open gmail or contacts or messenger (both facebook and google) and they open up way faster.

JohnK wrote: »
    The existing N5 is gone from the play store so there could be something to that rumour alright.

I think they just stopped making new stock. If there was a new version being released, that release date would still be 7 months away under the normal schedule. The rumour I saw mentioned Huawei as the potential maker, but I've seen many of these rumours that have been pure BS.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭dubmick

anyone know where is the cheapest place to get one of these?

• Advertisement

JohnK wrote: »

no. the nexus series is not a series that sells 100's of millions. the majority of demand has simply been met, so there is no money anymore in producing these devices. thats why they stopped. its no galaxy or iphone after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

Maybe not the thread but is there no nexus 6 on sale in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭positron

Sorry to bring up the much discussed subject again - but I finally had enough and I timed how long this Nexus 5 lasts from a full charge. I got about 9 hours of very light use - and toward the end I checked the stats - about 43 mins screen time, 3% screen, 4% whatsapp etc, 2% Android System were at the top of the list. And later on I went to bed with 80% charge on phone and woke up 7 hours later to see it showing less than than 10%! :(:(:(

I am going to backup the phone and do a complete system refresh and install basic apps that I need (Ingress, Whatsapp and a few others). If it stays the same way, it's going back to Google - I hope they would replace / fix / do something!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,348 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

positron wrote: »
    Sorry to bring up the much discussed subject again - but I finally had enough and I timed how long this Nexus 5 lasts from a full charge. I got about 9 hours of very light use - and toward the end I checked the stats - about 43 mins screen time, 3% screen, 4% whatsapp etc, 2% Android System were at the top of the list. And later on I went to bed with 80% charge on phone and woke up 7 hours later to see it showing less than than 10%! :(:(:(

I am going to backup the phone and do a complete system refresh and install basic apps that I need (Ingress, Whatsapp and a few others). If it stays the same way, it's going back to Google - I hope they would replace / fix / do something!

Have you looked to see if Wi-Fi is always on? For my phone it was Viber that was keeping Wi-Fi always on.
    I think I might have an idea as to why the battery use on my Nexus 5 has been absolutely brutal for the last couple of weeks.

If I go to 'Battery' in settings, it shows that Wi-Fi is ALWAYS on, even when I have it manually turned off. And even when I have "scanning always available" turned off in the 'advanced Wi-Fi' menu.

I'm thinking that it might be some app that I have that is causing the Wi-Fi to be constantly on even though I have it manually turned off.

It might be worth for the rest of ye to have a look at the battery use to see if Wi-Fi is always on.

I'm running stock Android 5.0.1.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

For my phone it was Viber that was keeping Wi-Fi always on.

Ah ffs thanks a million! I couldn't figure out why the hell my wifi was showing as on constantly the last week or so even though it was off along with scanning always available. Im running latest nightlies on my oneplus and could only presume it was a rom problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,455 ✭✭✭✭Alun

The RTE News app was the problem in my case.

Have you looked to see if Wi-Fi is always on? For my phone it was Viber that was keeping Wi-Fi always on.

Thanks, turns out WiFi was always on, owing to WiFi set to 'always' in android as well as Viber. I have changed this to 'while changing' and 'use phone settings' respectively, and I can see now WiFi is turned off when phone is in sleep state. Thanks. Fingers crossed this improves battery at least to 2 hours of screen time so that I won't have to RMA it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭cfeeneyinterior

positron wrote: »
    Thanks, turns out WiFi was always on, owing to WiFi set to 'always' in android as well as Viber. I have changed this to 'while changing' and 'use phone settings' respectively, and I can see now WiFi is turned off when phone is in sleep state. Thanks. Fingers crossed this improves battery at least to 2 hours of screen time so that I won't have to RMA it.
    When you don't have it set it to always on, will you have to open the email app, etc for it to check?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,874 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I use an app called Smart WiFi Toggler. It works on location & turns the wifi off as I leave the house & back on when I return.

Another brilliant app is Gravity Screen. It turns the screen off when I lay my phone down or put it in a pocket all without touching the on off button.

I also use Current Widget which alerted me to a higher than average battery use. Turned out that I had inadvertently paused Gravity Screen & my screen was set to high.

When you don't have it set it to always on, will you have to open the email app, etc for it to check?

I think when phone is on sleep mode, all the background apps will use mobile data instead (email, chat notifications etc) and when you touch / wake up the phone, WiFi comes back on and everything happens thru WiFi.

Or so I believe.. could be wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭gingernut79

Discodog wrote: »
    I use an app called Smart WiFi Toggler. It works on location & turns the wifi off as I leave the house & back on when I return.

Another brilliant app is Gravity Screen. It turns the screen off when I lay my phone down or put it in a pocket all without touching the on off button.

I also use Current Widget which alerted me to a higher than average battery use. Turned out that I had inadvertently paused Gravity Screen & my screen was set to high.

I found Gravity Screen ate the battery on my z1. I use Clean Master now for alerts when apps are using more than usual amounts of power, or are restarting frequently. Its not perfect but its running smoother, and battery life is much better. I did have to sacrifice a few more badly behaving apps though!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,925 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Google have told me to wait for 5.1 to come to me before they will do anything. Still no sign.

Google have told me to wait for 5.1 to come to me before they will do anything. Still no sign.

5.1 is already out - at least i have a 5.1 rom on my phone since last week. i assumed the OTA rollout started

murfilein wrote: »
    5.1 is already out - at least i have a 5.1 rom on my phone since last week. i assumed the OTA rollout started

I haven't seen any reports of anyone in Ireland getting it OTA yet on a N5, hopefully soon.

5starpool wrote: »
    I haven't seen any reports of anyone in Ireland getting it OTA yet on a N5, hopefully soon.

oh yeah well, android rollouts dont happen at the same time on the world. i guess ireland is treated like third world countries, getting the OTA at the end of the distribution schedule :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

Location has no influence on when you get the OTA for a Nexus device.

Rollouts happen in stages, in each stage a certain percentage of users are randomly selected to receive the OTA.
    http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/11/20/google-engineer-dan-morrill-sheds-some-light-on-the-nexus-ota-process-urges-you-to-never-clear-google-service-framework-data/

murfilein wrote: »

Aye. But nothing OTA yet here and I'm not gonna flash it if it's likely to be vlose.

I remember having to clear my phone just before 5.0 came out. Heartbreaking and I thought it would help things and it did. Briefly.

Even with wifi configured to go off when phone is not in use, battery isn't lasting too long for me. Perhaps 10-12 hours of infrequent use, or 1-2 hours of heavy use (like playing Ingress). This is not great.

I wonder if I should wait for 5.1 update OTA, or if I should ask Google for RMA. Last time I rang them they asked me to try of 'safe mode', which is a pain to do at any length of time because none of the apps work in 'safe mode'. They also asked if I have ever rooted the phone - I said no. I had towelroot at one stage, and I had removed it since, but not sure if I should do a complete stock ROM flash to remove any traces of rooting before sending the phone back to Google?

From my last contact with Google it seems they won't RMA before the forthcoming update.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

I take it yours is likely a software issue then? They're RMA-ing mine alright for the screen issue I have but they're satisfied its a hardware fault.

Advertisement