Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nexus 5

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭stevekavo

Folks looking for a bit of advice here. Dropped my Nexus 5 on the rug when it was in its hard case but since this happened volume button won't work and the lock/power button will only power off the phone and not lock it.

I bought it from expansys in November. Who is the best to contact in a situation like this? Expansys, lg or google.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭t0mm13b

stevekavo wrote: »
    Folks looking for a bit of advice here. Dropped my Nexus 5 on the rug when it was in its hard case but since this happened volume button won't work and the lock/power button will only power off the phone and not lock it.

I bought it from expansys in November. Who is the best to contact in a situation like this? Expansys, lg or google.

Only if you buy it from Google Play Store, then Google can RMA the device and get it fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

After being without my Nexus 5 for about 2 months after breaking the screen. Finally got it repaired.

Seeing you guys all complaining about the battery life, was interested to see if mine would be the same. Just got 41 hours battery with wifi on the whole time and using generally for internet browsing, Facebook, Viber, Xbox Smartglass, YouTube etc. with the odd quick call and few text messages thrown in too. Was down to 15% and still estimated 6 hours battery remaining.

So has the battery issued been fixed or am I just lucky?

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭murfilein

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    Just got 41 hours battery with wifi on the whole time and using generally for internet browsing, Facebook, Viber, Xbox Smartglass, YouTube etc. with the odd quick call and few text messages thrown in too. Was down to 15% and still estimated 6 hours battery remaining.

So has the battery issued been fixed or am I just lucky?

41 hours? thats like literally impossible. did you mean 14? even that would be unrealistically high.

murfilein wrote: »
    41 hours? thats like literally impossible. did you mean 14? even that would be unrealistically high.

Yes I meant 41 (forty one) hours. Which is about the same as what I was getting before. I charged it to 100% 5pm 25th. Then stuck it back on charge when it was on at 15% battery this morning about 11am.

So I must just be lucky so, having the impossible battery and all :D

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,851 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Mine would only last that long if I had data turned off and almost never turned on the screen, i.e. didn't actually use the thing.

If you were to watch a 2 hour movie on your phone how would your battery be then? I'm not sure if mine would even last to the end of the movie really from 100%.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭murfilein

when i'm home my battery is around 40-50%. watching youtube videos and listening to music while on 9gag or reddit drains the battery to around 10% before i plug it in and go to sleep at home.

5starpool wrote: »
    Mine would only last that long if I had data turned off and almost never turned on the screen, i.e. didn't actually use the thing.

If you were to watch a 2 hour movie on your phone how would your battery be then? I'm not sure if mine would even last to the end of the movie really from 100%.

I have mobile data and wifi on 24-7, so it switches between them when I leave the house etc. My screen on time was about 3 hours so i'm guessing I'd get the movie in no problem.

Just for the craic, I might start a movie on it later and leave it off from 100% to see what it will get down to before the movie ends :cool:

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Bottom of my screen has just smashed to bits including a nice big hole. Anyone have any recommendations as to a decent place/person to go to get it fixed?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭pah

My nexus 5 is flying on 5.1 it had gotten very laggy on 5.01 particularly the camera. Battery life seems to have improved significantly. I did a clean install from the factory image.

• Advertisement

Bottom of my screen has just smashed to bits including a nice big hole. Anyone have any recommendations as to a decent place/person to go to get it fixed?

I just got mine back last week from repair. Had smashed the screen myself. Very few places seem to want to repair the Nexus 5.

I got it repaired via the official repairers for LG which is SBE Ltd.

You can contact them here http://sbeglobalservice.com/ireland/contact/ just send them a message using the message box and they will email you back to sort out collection of your device.

It was €144 for the phone to be pretty much refurbished to factory condition for a cracked screen.

This price included them sending out some packaging and an An Post label to drop it off at the local post office, the repair itself and delivery back to you via Courier. It took approximately a week from when I posted it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,241 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I actually just got mine back from repair just over week ago, I'd sent it off under warranty for the atrocious battery life and it came back working great. Battery is going for about 20 hours before it drops to 15%, and longest I got was 32 hours.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    I just got mine back last week from repair. Had smashed the screen myself. Very few places seem to want to repair the Nexus 5.

I got it repaired via the official repairers for LG which is SBE Ltd.

You can contact them here http://sbeglobalservice.com/ireland/contact/ just send them a message using the message box and they will email you back to sort out collection of your device.

It was €144 for the phone to be pretty much refurbished to factory condition for a cracked screen.

This price included them sending out some packaging and an An Post label to drop it off at the local post office, the repair itself and delivery back to you via Courier. It took approximately a week from when I posted it.

Dropped my phone in work. This is going to cost more than what I earned for the day!

Will get on to them though. The phone can't stay in its current condition. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,925 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Battery still shocking.

Still no sign of the update either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭projectgtr

Battery still shocking.

Still no sign of the update either.

If its that bad can you not just update it yourself? Doesnt take long at all

Am torn in whether to go direct from Kitkat 4.4.4 to 5.1 LMY47I, also eyeing up on NXROM too.

It would of course mean to back up etc, and restore the data afterwards as usual, this is the daily driver I use so... its a PITA though.

There is an update 5.1.1 or possibly it could be 5.2 for all I know, no idea when though, that has finally fixed the memory leak according to this bug report.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

The screen is very easy replace on these.
    I bought mine here

It took about 30 minutes. A finger nail, a small screw driver and maybe a small flathead are about all the tools you need.

Do spring for a good screen though. Some of the cheaper ones are bad, but the one I linked above does genuinely seem to be OEM.

EDIT: I see that screen is now £79. I did pay £99 and I was happy. At £79 I have no reservations about recommending it. The N5 is a very easy phone to work on.
    Mine slid out of my hand after I added a vinyl back and hit a metal locker.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Goolay

Hi guys,

I'm RMA'ing my Nexus 5 for a second time (GPS issues).

My bootloader is currently unlocked as I was impatient previously for the Lollipop update. I need to send it back in a few days- will google have issues with the RMA if the bootloader is unlocked? It isn't rooted.

Is there an easy guide to re-locking the bootloader if necessary?

thanks!

Goolay wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I'm RMA'ing my Nexus 5 for a second time (GPS issues).

My bootloader is currently unlocked as I was impatient previously for the Lollipop update. I need to send it back in a few days- will google have issues with the RMA if the bootloader is unlocked? It isn't rooted.

Is there an easy guide to re-locking the bootloader if necessary?

thanks!

Use the Nexus Root Toolkit by wugfresh

It has the option of re-locking the bootloader.

If uncertain, use this site as a guide to help you.

However do be warned you must back up your pictures etc as this will wipe the data.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Goolay

t0mm13b wrote: »
    Use the Nexus Root Toolkit by wugfresh

It has the option of re-locking the bootloader.

If uncertain, use this site as a guide to help you.

However do be warned you must back up your pictures etc as this will wipe the data.

Perfect, thanks a mill

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,455 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Android 5.1 OTA coming in now on my Nexus 5 :D

The screen is very easy replace on these.

EDIT: I see that screen is now £79. I did pay £99 and I was happy. At £79 I have no reservations about recommending it. The N5 is a very easy phone to work on.

I wouldn't say VERY easy now. Unless you're changing fused glass screens regularly then to the regular user this would be very hard.

Besides that, the current exchange rate for sterling to euros would make it just as viable to have it officially repaired. Costing only about €30 more which would really be only covering the transport costs of the device to and from the repair company anyways.

But of course, if you're up for a challenge then definitely do it yourself! Like you obviously did :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭2thousand14

Got my 5.1 OTA update today. Anyone notice much difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭cfeeneyinterior

Got my 5.1 OTA update today. Anyone notice much difference?

Got it yesterday, and the battery seems alot better although that wouldn't be hard

Just got the nortification there as well, I'll wait until later to update it when I'm home.

5starpool wrote: »
    Just got the nortification there as well, I'll wait until later to update it when I'm home.

Hmm... 5.1.1 is showing up in the Android SDK, hopefully that fixes the memory leak

Source

Got 5.1. Battery seems better. But again hard to tell as I'm still shutting off location and entering into airplane mode as much as I can

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Got 5.1. Battery seems better. But again hard to tell as I'm still shutting off location and entering into airplane mode as much as I can

Thats no way to use a phone!

I know. But what can ya do when minor use was having me down to 60% within the half hour.

Eg. Listening to Spotify on the bus from Lucan to Town would have me on 70% alone never mind playing new star soccer or browsing the net. Bullplop.
    Can't wait to get a new phone next year.

• Advertisement

What are the clearest instructions to flash a factory image? My gf's phone has had issues with the OTA 5.1 update so I need to flash the factory image to try and restore sound to her phone but the instructions out there aren't very clear (to me), so if someone could point me towards the clearest instructions that would be appreciated.

Advertisement