Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nexus 5

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,874 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I'm finally rid of my Nexus 5 (32GB Black). Sold for €280.00
    Battery life broke my heart.

Replaced it with a Galaxy Core Prime. So far so good.

That's more than I paid for mine new :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭2thousand14

I lost my nexus 5 recently, I've tried everything to relocate it but its gone
    Anyway I was wondering should i get another one or are there any equivalent up-to-date phones that i could look about buying? since it is nearly 2 years old. I'd also like it to be around the same price so Nexus 6 is out of the question

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

I lost my nexus 5 recently, I've tried everything to relocate it but its gone
    Anyway I was wondering should i get another one or are there any equivalent up-to-date phones that i could look about buying? since it is nearly 2 years old. I'd also like it to be around the same price so Nexus 6 is out of the question

I like the HTC Desire 510 myself, and a great price for what it is. €99 - €129 depending on network.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,925 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I can't Recommend the Galaxy Core Prime highly enough for what MiskyBoyy above says is a 99-129 phone.

One of the things that I hated about the Nexus 5 (and a lot of phones is the lack of an FM Radio, sealed unibodies and inappropriate batteries vs spec.

The GCP has FM and a removable battery and as well, the TouchWiz that's onboard is stripped back a lot so I'm very happy.

It's gonna take something really special to get me out of this range of phone and back to the top of the range again in the future.

Discodog wrote: »
    That's more than I paid for mine new :pac:

Yeah. I was surprised by the demand for it to be honest. But alas. I was happy and the buyer (who had a bashed N4 ) was happy too. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,369 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Anyone gone with the 5.1.1 update? How's it working out?

I'm nervous about updating after what lollipop has done to my 1st Generation Nexus 7...

I got it before I sold mine and I didn't notice anyting too different. Battery was still horrific.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,347 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Anyone gone with the 5.1.1 update? How's it working out?

I'm nervous about updating after what lollipop has done to my 1st Generation Nexus 7...

I've had 5.1.1 for a while now.
    I haven't noticed much difference.
    My Nexus 5 is/was working ok fine anyway. And I'm wasn't experiencing any battery problems before the update and I haven't since the update.

Battery was still horrific.

Mine's still fine:

XpoTRW2.png?1
    hrR6mp8.png?1

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭The lips

My 16 month old Nexus 5 microphone would not work unless the device was on loudspeaker.

Tried a backup and restore, no fix.

I got it from meteor as part of a contract.

They are saying it is out of warranty.

I thought there was a 24 month warranty on these?

Does this just apply to devices bought directly from the play store?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

miralize wrote: »

Also, just to add, your contract of purchase is with the store, not the manufacturer, don't let them fob you of and threaten the small claims court if they say otherwise

Meteor sent it off to fonefix for assessment/repair.

They have came back saying it was damaged and out of warranty.

I have asked them to clarify the type of damage (there was no visible damage on the phone).

This was all during a phone conversation, I will call to them in person Monday with the EU leg printed.

Thanks for the info guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,543 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

The Mrs' N5 will not boot. Just gets to Google logo screen and goes dead. Tried the safe boot but just as the safe boot screen comes up the phone goes dead again as well. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions they would be much appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 39,543 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

KevIRL wrote: »
    The Mrs' N5 will not boot. Just gets to Google logo screen and goes dead. Tried the safe boot but just as the safe boot screen comes up the phone goes dead again as well. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions they would be much appreciated

Found an answer to this on YouTube. Involves a fukk load of tapping the power button

I'd download the nexus 5 toolkit. Connnect phone to laptop and select soft bricked/ bootlopp as current status on toolkit and click flash stock + unroot.

http://www.wugfresh.com/nrt/

Then go ahead and root it for yourself whilst you're at it :)

But looks like you got it sorted...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,874 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Found an answer to this on YouTube. Involves a fukk load of tapping the power button

I use a brilliant app called Gravity Screen. You don't need to touch the power button in everyday use.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

Yes could be the start of the power button issue. My wifes had it, banging it worked for a while but it got worse and Google then replaced under warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,240 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

My battery has once again gone to absolute hell.
    Charged it up to 100% yesterday evening and unplugged it at about 11:30. Woke up this morning and it had dropped down to 45% despite going totally unused.

I do love the Nexus 5, but this battery is absolutely dreadful.

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Charged it up to 100% yesterday evening and unplugged it at about 11:30. Woke up this morning and it had dropped down to 45% despite going totally unused.

That's more than the battery. That's whatever way you have the phone setup. See my post a few posts back of my battery. Mine uses less than 1% per hour with wifi and mobile data on if I was to leave it down and not touch it.

Maybe try a different rom and different kernel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

The lips wrote: »
    Meteor sent it off to fonefix for assessment/repair.

They have came back saying it was damaged and out of warranty.

I have asked them to clarify the type of damage (there was no visible damage on the phone).

This was all during a phone conversation, I will call to them in person Monday with the EU leg printed.

Thanks for the info guys.

I fixed the same issue on my stepdads one - his had same issue that you described, worked on loudspeaker but not the in ear speaker - it was handy out to do, think the part cost 8 quid....

Fieldog wrote: »
    I fixed the same issue on my stepdads one - his had same issue that you described, worked on loudspeaker but not the in ear speaker - it was handy out to do, think the part cost 8 quid....

Could you please send me a link to the replacement part??

• Registered Users Posts: 13,347 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Sonics2k wrote: »

This is most likely due to some app running in the background consuming a lot of power.

It's unlikely a hardware fault with the battery.

How you find out what the problem is? It might not be trivial. I has awful battery life a few months ago. It was due to Viber keeping my Wi-Fi always turned on, despite not having the Wi-Fi enabled. It took me ages to figure it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

The lips wrote: »
    Could you please send me a link to the replacement part??

Sure :

http://m.ebay.ie/itm/191242347052?nav=SEARCH

Guide I followed here :

https://youtu.be/SPSaGUrpc1o

Edit : Sorry I see your issue was the Mic, but not the earpiece - I dunno if that will work for you but no harm in giving it a go.... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭bittihuduga

my nexus 5 kissed the pavement and screen broke yesterday. do you recommend any good and economical screen replacement guy in dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭projectgtr

Is anyone running Android M as a daily? If so how stable is it for daily use? Is there any annoying glitches

• Registered Users Posts: 14,209 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

my nexus 5 kissed the pavement and screen broke yesterday. do you recommend any good and economical screen replacement guy in dublin?

I too would be interested in this, got quoted 80quid by someone on adverts

Not economical as such but I got my screen replaced by the official repair company for LG which is SBE Ltd.

Might not be worth it to some people but cost me €140 and got the phone back like it was factory new.

Price included collection & delivery of the device back to me via courier.

http://sbeglobalservice.com/ireland/support/

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Does anyone have any recommendations for where I could get a decent, hardwearing case that can be customised?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭projectgtr

Does anyone have any recommendations for where I could get a decent, hardwearing case that can be customised?

This is the one ive had since launch day, its very hard wearing and very customizable, very cheap too. comes with 2 backs, theres a huge thread on xda of all the customized DIY backs people have made. Also added bonus it comes with a screen protector :D

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Spigen-Ultra-Hybrid-Bumper-Google/dp/B00FJJ38HY/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1435087920&sr=8-11&keywords=nexus+5+case

Advertisement