Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nexus 5

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Shooter_galway

Looking to get earphones with a mic for hands free has anyone any recommendations??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭projectgtr

Looking to get earphones with a mic for hands free has anyone any recommendations??

i got these for my Nexus when amazon done them on special for $19 they are hands down the best in ear headphones ive used. They are so sturdy too and the mic works flawlessly too. Only downside is you hear nothing with them in :D so perfect for me for the gym and audiobooks.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FZHCR04/ref=sr_ph_1?m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&ie=UTF8&qid=1435786194&sr=1&keywords=jlab+earbuds

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

projectgtr wrote: »
    i got these for my Nexus when amazon done them on special for $19 they are hands down the best in ear headphones ive used. They are so sturdy too and the mic works flawlessly too. Only downside is you hear nothing with them in :D so perfect for me for the gym and audiobooks.

Are you going to share the link to them or name of them with us or keep it all a big secret? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,874 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I use one of these.

http://www.sonymobile.com/global-en/products/accessories/smart-wireless-headset-pro/specifications/

You can get them cheap on ebay. Model number is Sony MW1 & it has fm radio, sd card mp3 & full bluetooth. You can use the earbuds provided or any other headphones.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,347 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

My battery life has been awful for the last few days or so. Looking at the battery stats, it was because my Wi-Fi was on 24/7, even though I didn't have it turned on.
    My Nexus had decided to enable 'scanning always available' and 'keep Wi-Fi on during sleep' even though I had them disabled.

*shakes fist*

j54d6Wq.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭gerryk

Xiaomi Pistons. Excellent design and sound quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭gerryk

Xiaomi Pistons. Excellent design and sound quality.

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    Are you going to share the link to them or name of them with us or keep it all a big secret? :D

hahahhaha im a dope

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FZHCR04/ref=sr_ph_1?m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&ie=UTF8&qid=1435786194&sr=1&keywords=jlab+earbuds

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭SmashingPilot

Does anybody know where I could get my Nexus 5 fixed cheaply?
    It appears the power button is broken on my device, it keeps turning itself off and when I'm in the middle of using it the shutdown popup appears. All started out of the blue last week, device is unusable now.
    Seems its a tough enough task to fix myself, requires some good soldering.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭bren2001

Does anybody know where I could get my Nexus 5 fixed cheaply?
    It appears the power button is broken on my device, it keeps turning itself off and when I'm in the middle of using it the shutdown popup appears. All started out of the blue last week, device is unusable now.
    Seems its a tough enough task to fix myself, requires some good soldering.

Cheers.

That was happening to me for a while, factory reset sorted the problem. Worth a go. If not, I'd open it up myself, clean it and see if that sorts the issue before shelling out money.

• Advertisement

bren2001 wrote: »
    That was happening to me for a while, factory reset sorted the problem. Worth a go. If not, I'd open it up myself, clean it and see if that sorts the issue before shelling out money.

Thanks for that.
    I've already tried a factory reset, when the phone would stay turned on long enough. Is there any difference between factory reset through the recovery menu and when the phone is turned on normally?
    My issue is also that the phone also spends ages optimizing apps after a lot of these reboots/crashes and forgets things like WiFi passwords.
    I've also downgraded to an older version of Android but still getting the problem.
    Then today, I saw something about clearing the cache via the recovery menu. No luck with anything unfortunately.

Thanks for that.
    I've already tried a factory reset, when the phone would stay turned on long enough. Is there any difference between factory reset through the recovery menu and when the phone is turned on normally?
    My issue is also that the phone also spends ages optimizing apps after a lot of these reboots/crashes and forgets things like WiFi passwords.
    I've also downgraded to an older version of Android but still getting the problem.
    Then today, I saw something about clearing the cache via the recovery menu. No luck with anything unfortunately.

Plenty with the same issue on XDA forums, turn it off and tap the power button with a runner (the side of the sole) or something tough but rubbery, i was very sceptical but plenty have been fixed this way. Its a hardware issue, if its just a sticky/stuck button the method above will sort it. If not its a new power button and unfortunatly i think thats built into the mainboard :eek:

I keep posting this but Nexus owners should try this app. Why risk breaking your on/off button when you don't need to.

https://youtu.be/eu4BSRGnaSI

• Registered Users Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭bren2001

Discodog wrote: »
    I keep posting this but Nexus owners should try this app. Why risk breaking your on/off button when you don't need to.

https://youtu.be/eu4BSRGnaSI

Well:

A. With the problem stated above, this is not a solution. The OP's phone is randomly powering off. This would not stop that situation at all. The power button would still turn it off.

B. Some people, like myself, are confident taking a phone apart to check an issue instead of having a work around for a pretty vital part of the phone. Obviously, if it requires soldering, I would most likely not risk it but if the power button just needed a clean from the inside, taking the phone apart is relatively trivial.

projectgtr wrote: »
    Plenty with the same issue on XDA forums, turn it off and tap the power button with a runner (the side of the sole) or something tough but rubbery, i was very sceptical but plenty have been fixed this way. Its a hardware issue, if its just a sticky/stuck button the method above will sort it. If not its a new power button and unfortunatly i think thats built into the mainboard :eek:

I had read this online too. Is this just a temporary fix and would need to be done regularly? Hopefully I don't need to get a new button. Can't imagine it would be too cheap to fix.
    I'll give it a try now.

bren2001 wrote: »
    Well:

A. With the problem stated above, this is not a solution. The OP's phone is randomly powering off. This would not stop that situation at all. The power button would still turn it off.

B. Some people, like myself, are confident taking a phone apart to check an issue instead of having a work around for a pretty vital part of the phone. Obviously, if it requires soldering, I would most likely not risk it but if the power button just needed a clean from the inside, taking the phone apart is relatively trivial.
    I had read this online too. Is this just a temporary fix and would need to be done regularly? Hopefully I don't need to get a new button. Can't imagine it would be too cheap to fix.
    I'll give it a try now.

The point I am making is that the on off button is a known issue. I installed Gravity Screen when I got my phone & I rarely need to touch the on off button.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.plexnor.gravityscreenofffree&hl=en-GB

I'll give it a try now.

I done it on one phone about 6 months ago, problem never came back, seemed to just be a stuck button

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

gave my wife my perfect condition nexus 5 in mint condition as I upgraded to a 6 and it lasted four hours :(

so can anyone help me out with a reputable seller where I can procure an original replacement screen \ digitizer ?

Thanks

kingtiger wrote: »
    gave my wife my perfect condition nexus 5 in mint condition as I upgraded to a 6 and it lasted four hours :(

so can anyone help me out with a reputable seller where I can procure an original replacement screen \ digitizer ?

Thanks

My earlier post:

Not economical as such but I got my screen replaced by the official repair company for LG which is SBE Ltd.

Might not be worth it to some people but cost me €140 and got the phone back like it was factory new.

Price included collection & delivery of the device back to me via courier.

http://sbeglobalservice.com/ireland/support/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

My earlier post:

Thanks bit I will do the repair myself, I found this place

repairbase.co.uk

Replacement screen for 85 quid with postage to parcel motel

• Advertisement

kingtiger wrote: »
    Thanks bit I will do the repair myself, I found this place

repairbase.co.uk

Replacement screen for 85 quid with postage to parcel motel

Well if you're up for it, by all means go for it and fair play to you :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭youngblood

So are the originals nexus 5's getting marshmallow?
    Could this answer the battery problem???

youngblood wrote: »
    So are the originals nexus 5's getting marshmallow?
    Could this answer the battery problem???

Yeah it's available now if you want to manually flash it: https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images

I'm going to do it tonight and see how it goes.

Im not that brave, report back if you can on how it goes!

youngblood wrote: »
    Im not that brave, report back if you can on how it goes!

its fairly straightfoward tbh plenty of walkthroughs around. Done mine earlier all seems perfect, feels buttery smooth but its only been hours so ill report back in a while

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭IrishStuff09

Flashed the factory image earlier, upgrading from my almost fresh install of L (on Thursday) so I felt a full flash wasn't really needed. (Just flashed the bootloader, radio, system and boot img files).

Some screenshots and impressions: http://imgur.com/a/t3RNe

The memory leak seems to have been fixed at last,which is a relief - as the Nexus 5 was lagging almost daily on L.

Battery seems to be alright, but I haven't really tested that properly yet. Will report back tomorrow at some point and see how it runs.

Great work, apparently one of its aims was to fix poor battery performance, looking forward to report

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭murfilein

anyone received the OTA yet? lets see who will be the first to get it :D

to the people who manually flashed it: did you do a clean install or an upgrade? how is the performance?

murfilein wrote: »
    anyone received the OTA yet? lets see who will be the first to get it :D

to the people who manually flashed it: did you do a clean install or an upgrade? how is the performance?

Day two on a clean install and my phone feels great, battery seems much improved. The phone is flying so much so I'm reluctant to upgrade now. I was considering a new Nexus but I think I'll just get a new case and tempered glass protector :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭choons

Still no Android 6 OTA on Nexus 5 in the UK. I expected it to be out on Monday :P

Advertisement